« Federal Sentencing Guidelines | Main | Bush: A Different View »

January 16, 2005

Virginia Now Safe For Fornication?

The recent overturn of Virginia's law against fornication is generating loads of funny quotes. A few of my favorites:

"I can't say we're pleased we made Virginia safe for fornication," said Neil Kuchinsky, Martin's attorney. "Though some will thank me, I'm sure. What we're saying is, there's a new sexual rule of procedure in Virginia. That is, 'If you're not asked, do tell.' "

And then there's this gem:

Martin, 30, said she had no idea she was committing a misdemeanor during her two-year relationship with Ziherl. Comparing the ruling to laws regulating drinking and driving, she said yesterday's ruling means Virginians should act responsibly.

"Ultimately, the message is, we are adults and we do engage in activities that are not always current with the law books," she said. "If you're going to do something, be responsible about it."

Despite the ruling, Virginia's sodomy laws remain on the books. Bob from Accounting helpfully links to this RandMcNally List of the Top Ten Highways for Oral Sex.

To paraphrase a phrase from a popular TV police drama, "Be careful out there, people".

Posted by Cassandra at January 16, 2005 10:07 AM

Comments

I admit it. I fornicated in Virginia once (in Charlottesville). Almost exactly twenty years ago. But I married her afterward.

Posted by: Jack at January 16, 2005 01:04 PM

Given that I went to high school in the Old Dominion, spent most of my dating years there, got married and had my first child there, I choose to remain silent on the grounds that it would certainly incriminate me :)

Posted by: Cassandra at January 16, 2005 01:25 PM

It still illegal at the rdr household.
I checked.

Posted by: spd rdr at January 16, 2005 02:15 PM

They do say Virginia is for lovers.

Posted by: MrsPurpleRaider at January 16, 2005 04:09 PM

"Welcome to Virgin,yeah--right!"

Posted by: Road sign as you cross the state line: at January 16, 2005 04:27 PM

"If you're going to do something, be responsible about it." Does this preclude politics?

"It still illegal at the rdr household.
I checked." - spd rdr
How do you explain those 19 daughters? Cloning?(rim shot!)

Posted by: Don "illegal smile" Brouhaha at January 16, 2005 06:57 PM

How were violaters of the former Virginia law punished? Sent to a CA prison that housed Californicators?

Posted by: Garlic Breath at January 16, 2005 08:17 PM

Why do idiots always say that overturning a law dealing with sex will affect laws about marriage, e.g., bigamy? There is no precendential value between a constitutional prohibition on fornication laws and laws defining what the state will recognize as marriage. On the down side, since rdr is exercising his private property rights to make such fun illegal at his household, we will have to find someplace else to party.

Posted by: KJ at January 16, 2005 10:44 PM

This is truly tragic news, I have no doubt that this will lead to dancing.

Posted by: Pile On® at January 16, 2005 10:57 PM

I can't believe IH-10 between Fredricksburg and San Antonio didn't make the list.........darn it all.

Greg

Posted by: Greg at January 17, 2005 08:36 AM

Skyline Drive, either.

I was crushed...

Posted by: Cassandra at January 17, 2005 09:09 AM

Just b/c your highway didn't make the list this year is reason to get down. Get out there and advance your highway's cause, and maybe with a little press and increased activity, your highway can make the list this year! I'm sure Greg and Cass can get IH-10 and Skyline Drive on the list -- just get busy "promoting" it.

Posted by: KJ at January 17, 2005 09:13 AM

I double-checked with ms. rdr.
Such activities are still considerred "illegal" and might result in painful, unplanned, removal of certain male appendages.

Good thing, too, considering the 459,329 daughters I've got regularly cruising the Inter-states between home, school, avoiding church and rushing for sororities...I've got reason to sharpen my knives.

P.O. could be out there...lurking...somewhere.

Posted by: spd rdr at January 17, 2005 07:38 PM

Why yes, spd I could be out there, but since I am now happily married I could be trusted with your daughters, your wife, your cat, your alpaca, your pocket change and the care and nurturing of your houseplants.

Now, that's not to say there are not plenty of Pile wannabees out there. Cuz there are.

Posted by: Pile On® at January 17, 2005 09:38 PM

I am happily married as well, so I could be trusted with all of those things too. Except for the houseplants - they would surely die. And the alpacas, which I hear taste like burrow, which tastes like venisen, which tastes like gamey beef, which for some reason tastes like chicken. I like chicken.

Posted by: KJ at January 17, 2005 09:43 PM

I was horrified at the limp sales.

I too, am happily married. heh.

Posted by: Cricket at January 18, 2005 12:44 PM