« The Abominable Snowbeast | Main | FrankenWatch: Lying Liars Who Accuse Others Of Lying »

February 25, 2005

Flying the PC Skies

It's been a while since I ranted about commented on the continuing PC idiocy that keeps airline employees from acting when they see suspicious behavior from passengers.

Now a former US Airways employee tells of seeing Mohammed Atta the morning of September 11th:

MICHAEL Tuohey "stared the devil in the eyes and didn't recognize him."

Now he kicks himself for not having acted, although if he had, our government probably would've punished him for trying to take the devil down.

The man who took the tickets of Mohammed Atta and his companion felt something wasn't quite right about the two men:

He thought the pair were unusual. First, they each held a $2,500 first-class, one-way ticket to Los Angeles (via Boston). "You don't see many of those."

The second reason is not so easy to explain.

"I looked up, and asked them the standard questions. The one guy was looking at me. It sent a chill through me. Something in my stomach churned. And subconsciously, I said to myself, 'If they don't look like Arab terrorists, nothing does.' "

"Then I gave myself a mental slap. In over 34 years, I had checked in thousands of Arab travelers, and I never thought this before. I said to myself, 'That's not nice to think. They are just two Arab businessmen.' " And with that, Tuohey handed them their boarding passes.

But if he was unable to save some of the innocent people who died on 9/11, at least he was able to save his employer from an expensive lawsuit... at the hands of the US Government:

...in the aftermath of 9/11, American, United, Continental and Delta airlines were fined millions of dollars by the Department of Transportation for instances where the DOT believed airline employees had factored race, gender, ethnicity, religion or appearance into security-screening decisions.

Worst of all, that remains government policy. Airline employees in this country are still told in their training that they can never take into consideration the race or religion of a passenger when making judgments about suspicious behavior.

Via Unconsidered Trifles, which asks you to print out Smerconish's column and send it to your Congressman.

Posted by Cassandra at February 25, 2005 09:46 AM

Comments

Thanks for the link! Have I mentioned that I love the name you chose for your blog? :)

--Will

Posted by: WillyShake at February 25, 2005 11:48 AM

*"Airline employees in this country are still told in their training that they can never take into consideration the race or religion of a passenger when making judgments about suspicious behavior."*

And that's as recent as yesterday, according to a neighbor who just finished "refresher" training. She asked her "facilitator" if he had read "Flying Blind" (Michael Smerconish's book) and was told that there were enough horror stories still out there to justify writing Volume Two...

Posted by: cw4billt at February 25, 2005 12:45 PM

I am so tired of all of this PC crap when it comes to matters of national (and my personal) safety.

Racial profiling is a hot topic in Cinci- do you remember the riot we had here a few years ago? Over a cop shooting and killing a kid with outstanding warrants when he ran from the cops into a dark alley. He turned to face the cop, raised his arm, and the cop shot him. Bam. RIOT! All because the local black community said this kid was killed because the cop was white.

Bunch of dumbasses- people are "profiled" because, well, they FIT THE PROFILE of a criminal or terrorist, or whatever. They FIT THE PROFILE, or else they'd be left alone. I'm not talking about simple race or ethnic profiles either. I'm saying that if the screeners get a notice that a 5' 10" 30ish man of middle eastern descent is suspected of plotting to blow up the White House, you'd better believe I expect EVERYONE who fits that profile to be stopped and searched. Damn skippy. If the glove fits...search the hand.

Posted by: AFSister at February 25, 2005 04:06 PM

PC idiots still think it was a bunch of Irish kids who did 9/11. Morons.

Posted by: Ciggy at February 25, 2005 04:14 PM

Don't dream of stopping someone who is wearing a mask from entering the bank.

Posted by: RIslander [TypeKey Profile Page] at February 25, 2005 04:34 PM