« Way Too Funny | Main | Breaking News.... »

February 02, 2005

Here's To Legal Reasoning: Discrimination For Me, But Not For Thee

Noted with amusement:

Don't ask. Don't tell. Having no desire to crash our e-mail server, we'll save discussion of gays in the military for another day. Rather, today's subject is lawyers in the military. Surely Americans of all points of view can agree that in an age of Guantanamo and Abu Ghraib, the military can use the best attorneys it can get.

So it's a disgrace that some of the nation's law schools, objecting to the Pentagon's "discrimination policies," refuse to permit military recruiters to make their pitch on campus, relegating them instead to unofficial off-campus venues. Law students pondering their first career move can be wined and dined by fancy firms that set up recruitment tables at campus job fairs, but they have to stroll over to the local Day's Inn to seek out the lonely military recruiter.

To put it another way, the same liberals who object that the military includes too many lower-class kids won't let military recruiters near the schools that contain students who will soon join the upper-class elite. It's almost enough to make us contemplate restoring the draft, starting with law school students.

Posted by Cassandra at February 2, 2005 09:10 AM

Comments

Oh, sure. It is always fair game to bust on the lawyers. But get dragged into court on a little tourture charge, and suddenly we are your best friend.

Posted by: KJ at February 2, 2005 10:18 AM

Yeah, what he said.
Plus we should put few more lawyers on the frontline craving oyer and papering the murdering class with Motions in Limine. We'll spend them into submission by God.

Posted by: spd rdr at February 2, 2005 10:47 AM

Yeah, what he said.

I keep a cartoon in this notebook case that some court reporting agency gave me to keep me calling them to cover my 8 hour depositions. It has four people at a table - two lawyers and their clients, looks like a divorce situation, and the female client's lawyer says:

"My client was hoping to settle this without avoiding a lot of expensive legal action."

Exactly!

We shall also run them over with lots and lots of document requests followed by motions to compel.

Posted by: KJ at February 2, 2005 11:11 AM

As I once observed, there is a reason 'legal pads' are larger than regular-sized writing paper...

Posted by: Bush Ate My Soul.... at February 2, 2005 11:15 AM

Yeah, and legal cups are much bigger than normal cups, too. BTW, I'm not talking about cups from which you drink.

Posted by: KJ at February 2, 2005 12:23 PM

For an example of what I mean - go here. Or click my name.

This is too funny.

Posted by: KJ at February 2, 2005 12:25 PM

BTW, I'm not talking about...

Do all barristers bash their poor clients over the head when they crack a joke, too? :D

ba-dum-dum...

*running away*

Posted by: Bush Ate My Soul.... at February 2, 2005 12:30 PM

I'm just teasing you KJ, I was laughing :)

Posted by: Cassandra at February 2, 2005 12:31 PM

Uhuh, and legal aides is the most deadly form of the virus.

Posted by: Dan Rather at February 2, 2005 12:32 PM

You think that beats you over the head, you should see my briefs. BTW, I'm not talking about . . . .

Posted by: KJ at February 2, 2005 01:55 PM

Well if you see my briefs could you give me a call and tell me where?

Posted by: man riding unicycle naked at February 2, 2005 01:57 PM

Only if they're legal briefs!

Posted by: MrsPurpleRaider at February 2, 2005 09:18 PM