« Star Wars Caption Contest Results | Main | KerryWatch®: Supporting The Military, Sort Of... »

February 28, 2005

The Bad Boys of Summer

Well apparently the hapless Larry Summers has apologized AGAIN. Some people just don't know when to quit:

...Actually, I think women are actually much better than men at many things. For one thing, they look better naked. A lot better. Well, maybe not if you're gay. But I'm not. I like women. A lot...

...no offense to any buff, tan, gay guys, it's just that I prefer women. Naked women.

And try having sex with a guy. I mean that figuratively, of course, I'm not encouraging anyone to actually have sex with a guy. Unless they're a woman. Or gay. What I mean is, just try having sex with a guy if you're a guy, and once again, I mean that figuratively. You just can't do the same things with a guy that you can with a woman.

But just to show you that women don't have a monopoly on irrational behavior, the male faculty are demanding that Summers release the transcript of his remarks:

Some faculty members, however, weren't quite as smitten with Summers' remarks. One gentleman in the room fainted, and two others ran out of the meeting, crying hysterically.

Nevertheless, Summers went on to cite various reasons why, he believed, men do not excel in sexiness, and said he hopes that his theories will spark debate on why such inequity exists.

I give up.

Personally I think this is a move in the right direction. When this first happened, he should have defused the criticism by organizing a 'Women of Harvard' Calendar - that would have shown a truly enlightened attitude towards womens' sexuality and gender roles in the 21st Century.

Posted by Cassandra at February 28, 2005 02:51 PM

Comments

oh.my.god....

I would absolutely DIE laughing if I had been there! That man is going down in history for the most intriguing use of gender roles involved in losing your status at a major university. ROFLMAO!

Posted by: AFSister at February 28, 2005 03:29 PM

Hi Cassandra,

Thanks for the linkage! Very cool site, I'm adding it to the blogroll.

Posted by: John from WuzzaDem [TypeKey Profile Page] at February 28, 2005 04:53 PM

But he`s right. Women do look better than men, especially if those women are naked.

Posted by: Joatmoaf at February 28, 2005 04:55 PM

Oink.

Posted by: Cassandra at February 28, 2005 05:02 PM

Thanks John - I liked your site very much too - will be happy to reciprocate :)

Posted by: Cassandra at February 28, 2005 05:04 PM

Wuzzadem is on my favorite new site list (new to me). Very funny stuff, now I am going to have to check out are you conservative. Lot's of places to get your blog funny these days.

The line about men fainting and walking out really sums this whole thing up for me.

Posted by: Pile On® at February 28, 2005 05:22 PM

They were both very funny blogs Pile - I scanned, but didn't have much time to read. But will be back to read more after work.

Posted by: Cassandra at February 28, 2005 05:27 PM

Duh.
So, this "statement" on "Wuzzadem" by Larry Summers is satire, right?
It's just that the world is so bizarre anymore, anything could be possible. Right?
Right?

Posted by: Don Duhaha at February 28, 2005 05:32 PM

Yes, it was a joke :) Although I'd have more respect for Summers if he'd really said it.

Posted by: Cassandra at February 28, 2005 05:35 PM

Wow, so let's see..Cassandra, Pile, my wife and that troll - there's like four people reading my blog now! Cool.

Posted by: John from WuzzaDem [TypeKey Profile Page] at February 28, 2005 05:58 PM

Let the mutual admiration society convene... :)

Posted by: Cassandra at February 28, 2005 06:52 PM

Do I get to be the Troll?
Please????

Posted by: Joatmoaf at February 28, 2005 07:55 PM

Joatmoaf, you were the troll last time, it's someone else's turn to be the troll.

Posted by: Purple Raider at March 1, 2005 06:28 PM

Cass,
I am being rather lazy about this, as I hate to make you work for your blog, but do you remember who Danica MacKellar is? She played 'Winnie Cooper' on
'The Wonder Years.'

Well, aside from being pretty, she graduated summa cum laude from UCLA with a degree in Mathematics.
She, along with several other students solved a problem. The remarkable thing is that it was published in a British Physics Journal.

Okay, brainy stuff aside, she addressed the Senate committees on women in the SET fields, and the address, while not exactly highbrow, still reminds us all that Southern California rules when it comes to priorities.

'No one wants to be thought of as a nerd,' or my personal favorite: "Having never suffered any other disabilities than my gender...." I will link it for you.

You might get a kick out of it and you might also want to go shake her and tell her to get a minor in English while you're at it.

Here is the government's solution to the problem:

I will find her actual transcript and link it later. Google isn't cooperating.

Posted by: Cricket at March 2, 2005 08:56 AM

Criquette -

Here is the link:

I was sitting at the hospital (again) checking email on dialup (compuserve) and that was on the banner page. Cool, eh? Now, we need to introduce her to Dr. MathGuy...

Posted by: MathMom at March 2, 2005 08:53 PM