« Breakfast in Bed | Main | Republican Schiavo "Memo" Planted By Democrats? »

March 29, 2005

Blogjam

What caught my eye as I was flitting about in my bunny slippers...

Head over to Unconsidered Trifles and test your command of the King's English.

You just can't make this stuff up...

The Blair government has been experimenting with introducing private academies to replace failing schools in poor areas, akin to the charter school program is the US. The Guardian reports on the controversy, and offers this breathtaking bit:
Steve Sinnott, the general secretary of the National Union of Teachers, said the academies' programme would be a priority at the union's conference. He described the initiative as "immoral" and said the union planned to set up local campaign groups to oppose each new school. "This is an experiment in children's education," he said. "It is creating a situation in which the academies become schools that are more attractive to parents who have higher aspirations and more skills to find their way round the education system."

Teachers Of The World, Unite! against poor parents who have higher aspirations for their children. It's a brave new world out there.

Oh Good God... is it any wonder Johnny can't think?

A while ago I posted the Yankee vs. Dixie quiz... now ALa wants to know, how Redneck are you?

Stephen Karlson has a couple of interesting items: there's the Perennial Question of the Ages: who is the worst major blogger of all time?

And he does a nice job with that Chicago Sun-Times series on girls hooking up in college. Money quote:

University of Washington sociologist and sex educator Pepper Schwartz said she has noticed more bravado lately among college women boasting about their sexual conquests. She suspects a lot of it is just talk.

"Are they really happy? Sometimes, I think not," Schwartz said. "In the end, they're still looking for a boyfriend. They're still looking for respect. They ultimately want to pair up, not just hook up."

Behavior and mores may change. Fundamental human nature doesn't. Last time I checked, we were still wired differently.

Speaking of women, I've seen this story several places, but Ray had the best take on it.

We always knew he was just an administration shill...

Posted by Cassandra at March 29, 2005 05:42 AM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Blogjam:

» CROSSROADS OF COMMERCE. from Cold Spring Shops
That's the kind of day it's been, with Villainous Company billing two posts on today's Blogjam, and this provocatively named site referring readers ... [Read More]

Tracked on March 29, 2005 10:35 PM

Comments

Chicks shooting guns are cool.

Posted by: KJ at March 29, 2005 08:54 AM

Barbie Books will be used in the Blair admin's Brave New Schools. In the meantime, I took the test and I scored thusly: 100% beginner
100% intermediate
87% advanced
70% expert.

Then they broke it down into bars and graphs and said something about 71% better than beginner,
62% better than intermediate, 74% better than advanced and 51% better than expert. Whatever that means. I now have to go drum the King's English into the young skulls full of mush that have been entrusted to my care.

cheerio.

Posted by: Cricket at March 29, 2005 09:11 AM

And in SPITE of my command of the King's English I am barely a Yankee. Oh sure, bias against the non drinking chick who has NEVER heard of a drive through likker store. *sob*

Or who calls the roly poly bugs pill bugs and anything carbonated a soda. *sniff* It is my western upbringing, I am afraid. So many snowbirds transplanted from the Midwest into CA in the 1930s and the 1960s they changed speech patterns.

Posted by: Cricket at March 29, 2005 09:18 AM

No 100%, but all 90+. I'll take it.

Posted by: KJ at March 29, 2005 10:15 AM

English Genius You scored 92% Beginner, 92% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 76% Expert!

My test tracked 4 variables How you compared to other people your age and gender:

You scored higher than 35% on Beginner

You scored higher than 30% on Intermediate

You scored higher than 84% on Advanced

You scored higher than 71% on Expert

As a math geek who was quite happy to get B's in English, I have to say I am very surprised. I'm not sure what it says that I'm very below average for my demographic on the easy stuff and way above average on the more difficult stuff.

On the Dixie/(d@M|\|)yankee thing, I scored something like 90% Dixie. Any carbonated soda is a COKE, not pop, not soda, I don't care if it's a Sprite, Mountain Dew, Pepsi, or a Root Beer, IT'S A COKE :-)

*rumble*
*murmer*
*mumble*
*underbreath*:LG can learn MedChem, Pharmaco-kinetics, etc. but in 10 years can't learn to call it a Coke
*murmer*
*mumble*
:-)

Posted by: Masked Menace© at March 29, 2005 10:27 AM

Hi, all. As a Castle denizen, I've been lurking here for awhile, but I just had to brag...

I quickly took the test, and this is what I scored:

100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 76% Expert!

But hey, I got 720 on my SAT verbal with NO test prep, so not surprising. *humble grin* haha!

Posted by: Fuzzybear Lioness at March 29, 2005 01:42 PM

That was supposed to be hard? I guess my "English Genius" score applies to anyone who paid attention to high school English! Pshaw!

Posted by: a former european at March 29, 2005 01:45 PM

Lioness, good for you! I love these kind of things - they're fun, aren't they?

Posted by: Cassandra at March 29, 2005 01:54 PM

Yes, very fun. Especially when they make you look so smart! haha :)

Posted by: Fuzzybear Lioness at March 29, 2005 02:44 PM

I am simply a product of my environment, another sheep following the herd.

It's a pop. Grrrrrrr.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at March 29, 2005 04:23 PM

MM: Coke!
Don: Pop!
MM: Coke!
Don: Pop!
MM: Coke!
Don: Pop!
Bystander: *squeamishly* Soda?
MM and Don: Shut Up.

:-)

Posted by: Masked Menace© at March 29, 2005 04:28 PM

You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 76% Expert!

I knowed them special ed classes would pay off one day. Especially since I was bein' halfa sleep whilst answering them questions, jes like I was bein in skuul.

Posted by: CKCat at March 29, 2005 06:23 PM

Cat, you're so funny :)
I was asleep when I took it too - it was about 4:30 am...

Posted by: Cassandra at March 29, 2005 06:27 PM

I couldn't score that well, and I was awake! Like I say, they'res a darned goodin' reason I done goin' inta that their math stuf. :-)

Posted by: Masked Menace© at March 29, 2005 06:35 PM

I think those kinds of tests are fun...they keep you on your toes and if you slack off, a weekend's reading puts you right back on track.

Back to training the young to recite The King's English in the form of Bible verses, stories and poems.

Posted by: Cricket at March 30, 2005 07:57 AM

Peace can break out any minute.

Soda pop?