« Green-Eyed Monster... | Main | For Those Returning From WOT, Battle May Be Just Beginning »

March 28, 2005

The Interview Game

I blame Sgt. B... this game has been working its way around the b-sphere.

THE RULES (don't be like some people who don't RTFR... or maybe just can't read - we're not sure which):

If you want to play, leave a comment saying “interview me”.

The first five commenters will be the participants.

I will respond with five questions, you update your blog with your answers. Include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post. When others comment, asking to be interviewed, ask them five questions. (Write your own questions or borrow some.)

My questions and answers:

1) Where is your favorite place to go to "get away from it all".

At home, definitely my bathtub. It's one of those really deep ones with a big picture window that looks out over the woods. When I get stressed out I love to fill it up with warm scented water and lie back and watch the wind in the treetops. Everything just disappears for a while.

To get away, the beach or the mountains. One place I love is the high desert. If you're used to lots of greenery it takes a bit of getting used to, but to me it has a peaceful beauty all its own: spare and stripped down so you appreciate small things like a single rock formation or plant, or the way the light changes color on the mountains as the sun moves. Even shadows are beautiful. And the night sky is so brilliant you can see shooting stars.

2) What gets you purring?

Good music in a cozy bar, people who are comfortable with silence, the night breeze in the leaves and on my skin, roaring fires and warm blankets.

3) Speedboat, airplane, sports car, or monster truck?

Is this a guy question, or what? Sports car.

4) If you could be any animal OTHER than human, what animal would you be? Why?

Well as much as I'd love to say something glamorous like a horse or black panther or a unicorn, I'm afraid I'll have to go with my favorite animal: the elephant.

At first I was going to say a horse, because it would be wonderful to run all day. But horses are so skittish, they seem to spook so easily and they pine if they don't have the company of other horses. I like people but one needs to be comfortable alone, too.

Then I thought maybe a wolf for many of the same reasons, but I don't think I'm quite that ferocious. For some reason I can't see myself enjoying ripping the throat out of a deer.

Elephants live a long, long time. They travel far and wide over their lifetimes instead of living in one place, so they must see a lot. They remember things. They're gentle and strong, and big enough that they don't spend their whole lives looking over their shoulders - most things simply aren't a threat. They live in communities with leaders, they're intelligent and playful and they cherish their young. Elephants don't start fights, but they make bad enemies. They are slow to anger, but when they do get mad their wrath is terrible.

5) You're in a dark alley in a hostile place, outnumbered by thugs who want to do you harm. Suddenly, you hear something or someone land behind you, and you know that that person or thing is on your side. You turn to look. Who/what is it that just arrived to rescue you?

That's easy: a United States Marine.

Posted by Cassandra at March 28, 2005 04:39 AM

Comments

So here's the picture:
An elephant driving a bathtub speedster over the mountains listening to jazz with a gunny to her right.

Posted by: spd rdr at March 28, 2005 07:19 AM

Don't forget the Kahlua.

Posted by: Cricket at March 28, 2005 08:00 AM

sigh... I'm so happy I can still provide amusement to you people... I knew I should have picked something more exciting, but I like elephants. Maybe in my next life I'll be exotic and mysterious.

After that, I think I'll need the Kahlua, Cricket.

Posted by: Cassandra at March 28, 2005 08:06 AM

Cool, it looks like spd, being the first blogger to respond will be taking you up on the interview.

Posted by: Pile On® at March 28, 2005 09:03 AM

No Pile, he didn't say "interview me". I'd have dropped dead with shock if he had.

Posted by: Cassandra at March 28, 2005 09:04 AM

Oh go ahead and interview. Just expect a lot of nuanced prevarication in response.

Posted by: spd rdr at March 28, 2005 09:57 AM

I always liked the African elephants. I got to ride one a long time ago at Marine World Africa USA in San Francisco. We try to oblige on the less snarky side.

Posted by: Cricket at March 28, 2005 10:53 AM

Thanks, Cassie... You are a Grade "A" Class Act!

And, lest anyone think that the elephant is some sort of humble pacy-derm, I will remind you that lion don't mess with them...

Thanks for the answers!

Have a great day!

Sgt. B.

Posted by: Sgt. B. at March 28, 2005 11:12 AM

Thank you for interviewing me, Sergeant B :)

I had a hard time with the animal question - I don't think I've ever thought of myself as an animal before. Maybe a dolphin, too - they're kind of fun. I like the way they butt people with their noses when they want to play, and yet they will go after a shark. There were a lot of animals I liked, but ruled out because I'm not that aggressive.

Posted by: Cassandra at March 28, 2005 11:25 AM

It is commonly believed by the ape-descendants of Earth that they are in fact more intelligent than dolphins. They often cite the inventions of government, art, and digital watches while dolphins pretty much spend all their time mucking about in the water. Conversely, the dolphins consider themselves more intelligent for precisely the same reasons.

Posted by: The HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy at March 28, 2005 11:36 AM

So does a murder of crows...mucking about in the air, I mean.

Posted by: Cricket at March 28, 2005 12:58 PM

Well, it looks like Cass has lit upon me (tough thing for an elephant to do, light upon something) to continue this thread at the Ebb and Flow Institute, which I KNOW you all visit several times a day. Be watching for my sure-to-be-informative issue twisting answers there.

Posted by: spd rdr at March 28, 2005 05:16 PM

You know, I am really starting to regret that elephant answer.

Why didn't I just lie and say something that sounded good? I'm so stupid.

Posted by: Cassandra at March 28, 2005 05:31 PM

All snark aside, I thought it was a pretty good answer. It's not glamorous, or cliched, it shows you actually put some serious thought into to it.

And as you said, there ain't much that will **** with an elephant.
All things being equal, the 6'5" 280lb gorrilla of a man at the bar (AKA: US Marine) is probably the nicest guy in there. It's the 5'2" guy who weighs a buck thirty soaking wet that has a chip on his shoulder because he thinks he has something to prove.

Posted by: Masked Menace© at March 28, 2005 06:00 PM

Thank you Menace.

I guess I will only sit on spd from here on out. All 124 pounds of me, since I have not been very careful lately. I'll squish him like a bug :)

Posted by: Cassandra at March 28, 2005 06:06 PM

That you wouldn't, Princess.
I've got trial briefs that weigh more than that!

Posted by: spd rdr at March 28, 2005 08:10 PM

Great answers, Cass! The hubster and I have a similar set up, big enough for us both, with a jetted tub! After a hard day's work in the yard, we take a tray of cheese/crackers and drinks, and settle in the tub to soak our muscles. Ummmm - nice!

And elephants are Very interesting creatures. I'm not terribly peaceful, though, I'd go with the wolf ;-)

Posted by: Barb at March 28, 2005 08:37 PM

For question number one, I am going to get you, Cass, if it takes a million years.

Posted by: spd rdr at March 28, 2005 10:14 PM

No you won't :)

That question was so 'you', spd. Two of them were, actually - they came to mind almost immediately - you know you like to think.

But I'm not saying what the other one is. And it's probably not the one you're thinking, either.

Posted by: Cassandra at March 28, 2005 10:26 PM

[trying to remember]

Now what was that threat?

"I am going to get you, Cass, if it takes a million years...."

or was it:

"I am going to take a million years, Cass, to get to your questions..."

*running away*

Posted by: Cassandra at March 29, 2005 11:30 AM

Heh, you only got *one* person to say "Interview me?"

Oops. RTFP!RTFP!RTFP!RTFP!RTFP!RTFP!RTFP!RTFP!RTFP!

Posted by: John of Argghhh! at March 30, 2005 12:03 PM

Have I ever mentioned how much I love military men?

Posted by: Cassandra at March 30, 2005 12:18 PM

Ummm, Cassie? Never said you couldn't ever fire a spread back down the reverse course that fired the fish at YOU...

That wuz a hint...

Posted by: Sgt. B. at March 30, 2005 02:15 PM

That is, if I can play.

These rulez, they are confusing.

Posted by: Interview Me Raider at April 5, 2005 06:38 PM

Rulez... we don't need to stinkin' rulez...

Heh. Thank you :)