« Sad, But Probably True... | Main | This Week's Challenge... »

April 04, 2005

Happy April 15th

The Spousal Unit will love this: The Turbo Tax Defense (I used Turbo Tax and it sucked).

Posted by Cassandra at April 4, 2005 01:52 PM

Comments

I like TT. You do have to go through the interviews if you are Not Sure about a deduction.

However, it doesn't seem to keep up with the military.

Posted by: Cricket at April 4, 2005 04:04 PM

Turbo Tax does OK if you're not getting fancy with your taxes. It seems to have fits with things like depreciation of real property and investments. It's quicker and easier to do the calculations yourself.

The darned wizards keep trying to shield you from the "complexity" of everything - consequently you can't access certain fields at all if you need to change them.

Posted by: Sistah Toldjah at April 4, 2005 04:16 PM

I hire an accountant. I like having a real person to point the finger out when the IRS comes in and it all goes to hell.

The tax code, OTOH, and especially the AMT which introduced itself to me this year, sucks arse.

Posted by: KJ at April 4, 2005 04:28 PM

My firm will pay for an accountant to do our taxes, and he's good, but it's aggravating having to work through a 3rd party.

It is becoming way too complicated. I used to do the taxes, now the Unit does them (thank God). I had to file all my own quarterly taxes the two years in CA and just estimating my income was a real joy - screw up and you pay all sorts of penalties, but I get paid two bonuses each year that can amount to 15% of my gross salary. Given that I have no control over that amount, it's really fun trying to estimate your income upfront.

Posted by: Sistah Toldjah at April 4, 2005 04:35 PM

Anything worth doing is worth putting off until the very last minute.
April 15, 11:59 PM, just like last year, they go in the mailbox. I usually do them sometime that day.

Top 10 Reasons To Procrastinate.

Posted by: Joatmoaf at April 4, 2005 10:44 PM

I`ll get around to posting the Top 10 Reasons... eventually.

Posted by: Joatmoaf at April 4, 2005 10:46 PM

I have my accountant do my taxes early. The check goes in the mail on April 15. Somehow, the State of Georgia always sends me a little money back. Even this year. I don't understand this stuff, but a retail sales tax, now that would be easy to apply.

Posted by: KJ at April 5, 2005 10:37 AM