« Even Idiocy Is Protected Speech | Main | The Enemy Within »

April 28, 2005

I'm...Speechless (or "Not NOW Honey... I'm a Feminist)

nall_with_veil2.jpg Since this seems to be "is this rape?" week, I honestly don't know what to make of this.

Meanwhile, Dan Riehl digs up the goods on Desiree(!) Nall, our man-hating friend from the other day. My take: I would have gone with a higher heel on the boots, the cleavage definitely sends a mixed message (oooh... touch me, baby! Leave me alone you misogynistic ape!), the veil is semi-hot in an evil, Bride-of-Chucky, Goth kind of way but the dark lipstick with her pale skin is a definite 'fashion don't': I mean, what was she thinking?

I would have gone with more of the 1960's frosted, pale succubus-in-training look myself.

What you y'all think?

Posted by Cassandra at April 28, 2005 12:55 PM

Comments

Have a little respect here, it is obvious her uterus has just passed away.

Posted by: Pile On [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 28, 2005 01:16 PM

Well, when, despite the powerful drive of my male oinkness, my brain screams "STAY AWAY! DANGER! DANGER!" I generally listen. This is such a case.
And what's up with having the hubby be an officer of the local N.O.W. chapter? Hey buddy, how was the "initiation?" *squeak squeak*

Posted by: spd rdr [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 28, 2005 01:18 PM

She of the Emasculate Deception.

got it.

Posted by: La Femme Crickita [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 28, 2005 01:39 PM

Gee, after dressing like that, you think?

Posted by: La Femme Crickita [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 28, 2005 01:52 PM

Oh, sure - you get the picture of the b* from Brevard and I wind up in a snit with an advice goddess in my email. ;P~~

You truly are villianous company!! lol And I sure hope you two aren't related in some way.

Posted by: Dan [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 28, 2005 02:24 PM

(Sorry Ms. Nails. My exlamation is broken. I could only get one.)

Posted by: joated [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 28, 2005 02:37 PM

From the Norway article:

The prosecutor had sought a 10-month sentence and argued the court should not be more lenient with a woman than a man.

Do you read this to mean that a man convicted of rape in Norway would be sentenced to just 10-months? Inconceivable!

(got my posts backward—I blame dyslexia)

Posted by: joated [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 28, 2005 02:40 PM

I sure hope you two aren't related in some way...

Gee... thanks Dan. Do we even look anything alike? I don't really have the whole b*tch goddess thing down. I'm afraid the best I've ever been able to pull off is a sort of smouldering Southern belle, and that's admittedly wearing rather thin at this point.

Now pardon me while I go practice that 'reproductive freedom' pout in the mirror.

Posted by: Cassandra [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 28, 2005 03:22 PM

The Goth Barbie of the Wailing Womb Strikes for less responsibility and more government intervention. Of course, if her mother could see her now, she would have 'had one years ago!'

Posted by: La Femme Crickita [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 28, 2005 03:58 PM

Last I checked 40% is still less than half and uh, how could he function if he was being uh, well, coerced?

Cass, I do Surfer Babe Airhead, or Central Coastie.
I can also do Midwest Mother. You have to keep reinventing yourself, like that Goth Madonna.

Posted by: La Femme Crickita [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 28, 2005 04:01 PM

You did notice, Cricket (because I did) that none of the men have commented on whether it was rape or not?

Hmmmm...

re: the other, I don't know about the re-inventing thing. I've changed a bit over the years but I'm kind of a classic. I even wear the same perfume I did when I was sixteen: I still love it, although I do have another one I wear too now.

I guess I need a new something to go with my new age and my new hair. How about fiery but loving, semi-well-preserved half-potted smouldering Southern Belle?

Posted by: Cassandra [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 28, 2005 04:17 PM

Don, no relation to our unlamented unlaid lady.
However, I do have a certain irritation about the so called reproductive rights of women. Cass addressed it very well in another post, but for me it goes
into so much more...how selfishness capitalizes on legal murder and lets people escape behaving responsibly.

For her husband the only advice I have is this:
"Abstinence makes the heart grow fonder"
(Biblical)familiarity breeds contempt."

Neither one of them should add to the gene pool.

Posted by: La Femme Crickita [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 28, 2005 04:25 PM

I noticed that he said he was asleep. How many red blooded men would object to being awakened that way?

It seems that our blushing Bjorn isn't coming forth with all the details.

Posted by: La Femme Crickita [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 28, 2005 04:27 PM

Cass,

I didn't mean related to Nalls - I meant Amy Advice: "and I wind up in a snit with an advice goddess in my email."

I'll write later.

Posted by: Dan [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 28, 2005 04:34 PM

How many red blooded men would object to being awakened that way?

That was my first reaction too Cricket, but then I thought that was kind of unfair.

But then I thought again and wondered how easy it would be to get a rape conviction absent some showing of force if the positions had been reversed? Where is the evidence that he said "no"? That it wasn't consensual? Are we to believe she overpowered him, or had he already been 'violated' just because he woke up and she was um... doing what she was doing to him?

It's interesting because the physical act is different. She still took him inside her, and he wasn't trapped or anything (I don't think). But there's a very good argument that his privacy was violated and this is clearly battery, if true.

It's actually an interesting case, I think.

Posted by: Cassandra [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 28, 2005 04:46 PM

I think he should argue constructive rape. After she started he was powerless to say "no" but he never truly consented and now feels demeaned and violated by the entire sordid experience.

I think a jury of his peers would totally dig that argument.

Posted by: Cassandra [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 28, 2005 04:47 PM

He was sleeping! Despite the fact that it is urban myth, it is also true that men often wake up standing at attention. Maybe he is married and the offender was not his lovely bride! Maybe she was really ugly and his friend took pictures. Regardless, this was rape. Your stereotyping of my gender and basic encouragement of this female conduct, while appreciated, makes me feel vulnerable and afriad. You have damaged my psyche. The only way you can make up for it is to donate to my favorite charity, KJ Wants to Renovate His Basement Foundation, P.O. Box NoGovernmentCheese.Blogspot.com.

Posted by: KJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 28, 2005 05:18 PM

If you apply Clintonian morals to the woman in Norway, it wasn't really sex.

As far as Desiree goes, if she was eating crackers in my bed, she would be out so fast her head would spin.

And as for being a conversationalist, how many times do you need to hear that she's a feminist, and that she hates bush.

Posted by: Purple Raider [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 28, 2005 05:24 PM

KJ,
The Slickster said it all depended on what your definition of 'is' is. Ergo, it wasn't rape.

And that is my definition. For all I know it was pointing at her in some sort of weird Ouija-type
way or they were playing 'spin and blow the drunk.' Don't ask and I ain't tellin.'

And why would he be asleep at a party? I know that Denmark has very strict drinking laws and if you attend a party where alcohol is served, the designated driver has to be identified and is never served anything alcoholic. I would assume Norway has similar laws.

He didn't say he was under the influence, and designated drivers are supposed to be awake and alert, so what's the problem? I think he has size issues.

And your cringing defense of your damaged psyche leads me to suggest you self admit and get Ward Churchill to build your basement.

Posted by: La Femme Crickita [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 28, 2005 05:34 PM

I'm sorry. I have been in a mood for the past week
(no, not that time of the month. I don't DO PMS)
because my arm still isn't healing after a graft and a steel plate with seven screws. Bone isn't gowing.
So I am in constant pain with the thing grinding if I move and grinding if I breathe and there isn't enough money to convince me to go on morphine again.

Posted by: La Femme Crickita [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 28, 2005 05:37 PM

She has great style for a feminist. When I lived in Santa Cruz, the local dykes were always protesting the Miss California pageant. The best & most famous was some woman who protested by wearing a dress made entirely out of luncheon meat. She had no idea how stylish she was!

Posted by: beautifulatrocities [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 28, 2005 05:53 PM

You really have to wonder about this story anyway... I wouldn't think it would be much fun to give a sleeping guy a bj, n'est pas? He's not exactly going to be an enthusiastic partner. But maybe she was desperate.

Cricket, I'm so sorry about your arm. I don't know how you keep your sense of humor. Pain isn't fun, is it?

I was ready to saw my own head off last week - improve my looks and lose about 10 pounds all in one fell swoop. I hope it gets better soon.

Posted by: Cassandra [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 28, 2005 05:56 PM

jeff, that's just disgusting. I'm going to crack up the next time I walk into a bar (meat market).

Somehow I'm seeing Pimento Loaf (ewww...) with ... oh nevermind. I'm such a perv.

Posted by: Cassandra [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 28, 2005 05:58 PM

No, not pimento loaf....

head cheese.

Posted by: Purple Raider [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 28, 2005 06:14 PM

La Femme Crickita,

Check your email for QuackMom's suggestions.

Posted by: MathMom [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 28, 2005 08:00 PM

Santa Cruz? Isn't that where all old hippies go to die and like you know, continue the groove of 1964?

Spent lots of time on that beach.

Am checking email. Thanks for letting me vent Cass.
It will feel better as it is my body and will have No Choice in the matter. I was going to gnaw it off the other day...

Posted by: La Femme Crickita [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 29, 2005 11:15 AM

Ms. Nine Inch Nalls tells her husband he has fallen short.

Posted by: La Femme Crickita [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 29, 2005 04:15 PM

I cannot believe all the unintelligent comments made about Desiree Nall. Have any of you met her? Probably not but that does not stop you from chattin. She won't be eating crackers with any of you anytime..........she is a happily married woman to a fabulously enlightened man.

Posted by: sue at May 19, 2005 08:53 AM

He would have to be if he thinks crying wolf on a rape charge is a good thing. Those of us who are only remarkably enlightened think she is trivializing the matter.

BTW, did you meet any of us before you went off making a comment about us?

Posted by: Masked Menace© at May 19, 2005 09:54 AM

Sue, this is a caption contest. You call our comments 'unintelligent.' Could it be that we are this way because we think that NOW is a two faced
horse's ass of an organization? That there is no true liberty and justice for women when NOW picks their battles instead of standing up for what they were founded on?

That it wastes its resources on wild goose chases instead of getting down in the mud with those who have been truly hurt and need help?

Your organization makes me sick when I think of Juanita Broderick, Paula Corbin Jones, and other women who have suffered and their plight has been ignored by your group.

Shame on you.