« It Was Only A Dream | Main | Hearts Of Fire »

April 21, 2005

Welcome Home

17213740.jpg

Tired and bleary-eyed, Marines of the 1st Battalion, 7th Regiment, based at Twentynine Palms, Calif., were finally back on U.S. soil after seven months on the front lines in Iraq.

But they were still many miles and hours from their families and the homecoming they longed for. Their officers told them they would be on the ground for 60 to 90 minutes while their chartered plane was refueled.

So they disembarked and began walking through the airport terminal corridor to a small waiting room.

That's when they heard the applause....

Sometimes I am still proud to be an American. Via the Armorer, with thanks, even if he did make me cry.

Posted by Cassandra at April 21, 2005 04:30 PM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Welcome Home:

» First Welcome for 1/7 Marines from Marine Corps Moms
Cassandra and John both posted an article today about a group of tireless troop supporters in Bangor Maine who let nothing - not rain, not snow, not dead of night stop them in their appointed task of being the first... [Read More]

Tracked on April 21, 2005 11:13 PM

Comments

Oops! I dinnae mean ta make ya cry, lassie!

Here, have a nice glass of a smooth single malt to calm that heavin' breast...

Posted by: John of Argghhh! [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 21, 2005 04:50 PM

Always the gentleman :)

Posted by: Cassandra [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 21, 2005 05:09 PM

Welcome home troopers.
The beer's on Pile On.

Posted by: spd rdr [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 21, 2005 05:23 PM

You know, so many young people these days have bad attitudes, wear stupid baggy pants that show their butt cracks, rave on XTC and use poor English. It is nice to see a young man show some respect for a senior citizen that has been in Iraq.

Posted by: Pile On [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 22, 2005 08:55 AM

Pile, you look adorable in beer.

I shed a tear as well. I read this story to my parents (they are WWII gen as well). They were touched and so proud of the kids coming home and the seniors welcoming them.

Now I, on the otter heiny, would scare a Marine into going back if I tried to hug him/her.

Posted by: La Femme Crickita [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 22, 2005 09:42 AM

LF Crickita, Marines adore women, especially what my significant other likes to call beautiful, luscious abondanza females :)

You might just get more than you bargained for.

Posted by: Cassandra [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 22, 2005 09:55 AM

LOL. That is cute and typical of a real man.

heh.

You are both blessed.

Posted by: La Femme Crickita [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 22, 2005 10:13 AM

Well, one of us is blessed Cricket.

I do not know why he continues to put up with me. The man is a saint.

Posted by: Cassandra [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 22, 2005 10:22 AM

Ah, but it's a good kind of cry, not so?

Posted by: camojack [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 24, 2005 07:53 PM

I guess I get mad about being such a big baby, but on the other hand I guess there are worse things to cry about.

Posted by: Cassandra [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 24, 2005 08:54 PM