« On Rendition | Main | Still More Asshattery »

May 18, 2005

Kristin Breitweiser.... Still An Asshat

Just in case you still need convincing...

To the Editor:

Re "Newsweek Says It Is Retracting Koran Report" (front page, May 17):

I find it ironic that the White House is demanding more than a retraction from Newsweek over its report that American interrogators at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, had tried to unnerve detainees by desecrating the Koran.

Scott McClellan, the White House press secretary, said: "The report had real consequences. People have lost their lives. Our image abroad has been damaged."

Mr. McClellan said Newsweek's retraction was a "good first step."

As a 9/11 widow who witnessed worldwide support of the United States after 9/11, now, I witness wide hatred of America.

Such hatred has little to do with the Newsweek article. It has everything to do with the Bush administration's pre-emptive war in Iraq. A war based on dead wrong intelligence that has cost thousands of lives. A war based on faulty reasons that have never been retracted, let alone fully explained to the American people or the world.

Mr. McClellan speaks of journalistic standards. How about executive-branch standards that should be met before taking a country into a false war, a war that has made the entire world less safe?

I am all for accountability and retractions. But such things need to start at the top.

Kristen Breitweiser
Shelter Island, N.Y., May 17, 2005

To: Kristin Breitweiser

Enough Already.
As I said last year, get over yourself, hon.

Newsweek relied on an unsubstantiated, single-source story that even other professional journalists admit they wouldn't have run. They rushed to press when there was no time pressure, when they could easily have waited for the report to come out, especially in light of the tragic consequences that ensued. Some would argue (I certainly would) that they shouldn't have gone to press even if the story were true.

You and the other Jersey girls have done nothing but whine about how 9/11 should have been prevented. You've done nothing but complain about every single measure that has been implemented to make sure it doesn't happen again, while draining the public treasury of funds that could be used to pay for security measures to protect the American public. I think that says more about your priorities than anything possibly could. Actions speak louder than words.

Meanwhile, America's first defenders continue to die in her defense and receive... what? A windfall at taxpayer expense? No. The right to sue the federal government for damages? No.

SGLI. Whoopee. But you don't hear them complaining. And you don't see them writing the New York Times either.

I wonder why?

Posted by Cassandra at May 18, 2005 09:19 AM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Kristin Breitweiser.... Still An Asshat:

» Cassandra - 1, Asshats - 0 from This Life
Y'all know I loves me some Cassandra. [Read More]

Tracked on May 18, 2005 12:32 PM

» Potpourri from Argghhh! The Home Of Two Of Jonah's Military Guys..
Cassandra is going to take a short blog break. I wondered if this wasn't on the horizon - given the quantity (high) and quality (higher) of her output of late. It's obvious that her brain has been in overdrive... and... [Read More]

Tracked on June 3, 2005 03:41 PM

Comments

Oh and let us NOT forget that pittance that we widows get after the retiree dies. 55% of 55%.

Now THERE'S a largesse!

She has her funds invested and diversified. The American people stood up to the plate and took care of their own, when even Moamer Daffy Fuck in Libya
coughed up for Lockerbie.

Don't get me started.

Posted by: La Femme Crickita [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 18, 2005 09:42 AM

And don't forget, La Femme de la Great Menu - you're overpaying for that privelege, too! (as are we, as will Cassie and Big Unit)

Posted by: John of Argghhh! [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 18, 2005 10:57 AM

Wow! Worldwide support for America after 9/11? Sure, the other potiential victims were "supportive" of us (still waiting for the 300 million in checks like the U.S. people sent to the Pacific rim so-sue-me victims). But in the Islamofacist countries, they danced in the streets! And that is who we are taking out now. So cry me a river.

Posted by: KJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 18, 2005 11:44 AM

John, we have this great invention called... LIFE INSURANCE.

We pay for it out of our PAYCHECKS.

I don't expect the federal government to compensate me if my husband is taken from me. We have taken care of that contingency ourselves.

I can't believe anyone listens to Kristen Bratwurst.

Posted by: Cassandra [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 18, 2005 12:00 PM

And that wasn't aimed at you by the way - that woman just infuriates me.

Posted by: Cassandra [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 18, 2005 12:01 PM

Ignorant slut!

[I just seize opportunities to use that term. An unredeemed part of my nature LIKES it. (~;)]

Kristin looks like a perfect example of a terrorist/biased media success story, sadly. She's got the "good guys & bad buys* all discombobu-confusticated. Bitterness & resentment has a way of doing that to a person.

Posted by: CKCat [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 18, 2005 12:18 PM

That's right. WE had to take care of it, not the American people. We had an out because of our LD son. His disability entitles us to get that 55% of 55% for far less than the three figures that you are gouged for SPOUSAL benefits. What a thank you THAT is.

*looking for that d*mn Thorazine dart I was holding on Pile On.*

Cass, we know it isn't directed at us. The ritual bleating and whining and obligatory flagellation of the left tells me that as long as they are apologizing for themselves for being on the planet, to go one step further and not add to the gene pool and die off.

Posted by: La Femme Crickita [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 18, 2005 12:46 PM

There once was a hat named ass
A dame of the Jersey Girl class.
Her ill gotten gain
Earned her rightful disdain
And befitting ass kicking from Cass.

Posted by: CKCat [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 18, 2005 01:09 PM

LOLOLOLOL...oh I am wiping my eyes...CKC you have the same effect as Lawrence of Olympia...Cass, you need to get over and read his screed on the Newsweek debacle. The progressyves are having a bloody field day and it will cure what ails ya.

hehehe.

Posted by: La Femme Crickita [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 18, 2005 02:02 PM

Interesting, and yet Newsweek and it`s supporters, those who think they can fabricate anything they want in order to justify their political positions without being called into question, seem to avoid very pertinant yet annoying details.
One of those nasty little details is that most of the detainees in Gitmo have absolutely no idea of what is actually written in their Koran.
A good percentage of them can barely read.
Those same reporters seem to ignore altogether the fact that most of the detainees aren`t terrorists for any other Noble reason than Money.

When interrogated by Iraqi police, most of them showed an astounding ignorance of anything political or religious concerning their terrorism.
They were terrorist simply because that was a decent paying job. Something that most of them never had much of a chance at in their countries.

They believe the rhetoric because it`s part of the indoctrination to be force fed it daily.
But when pressed (no pun intended, but it`s still funny) to explain their ideology, most had no clue.

What is an outrage that the MSN doesn`t repot on is how the US Government is systematiclly endangering the health of the detainees by giving them so much nutritional food the almost every one of them is overweight.

Poor things. They go in almost starving to death and when (if) they leave they`re fat and happy.

Let`s ask this question: Where would the terrorists detainees rather be detained and interrogated at? USNS Guantanamo Bay or Iraq?

Terrorists in Iraq are now starting to be held and interrogated by Iraqis.
The Iraqis don`t need no stinkin' Geneva Convention and they don`t abide by it.

- Joatmoaf

Posted by: Cassandra [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 18, 2005 10:21 PM

The preceding comment was from Joatmoaf - typepad was messing up

Posted by: Cassandra [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 18, 2005 10:22 PM

Posted by: Ciggy at May 19, 2005 11:26 AM

And we even have Hitlery in our corner, as she is being vewy vewy quiet as a moderate. Of course, there are the usual suspects, but so far we have had some formidable weapons on our side: The free speech of the web, Cass, the accessability of the internet to all (thanks to Prince Albert and his FCC tax that now appears on my phone bill), Joat and Scott and Larry.

I don't want Larry to start forking his thighs again because I associated him with us, but he is needed for balancing the right wing blogs with his progressyve voice.

Posted by: La Femme Crickita [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 19, 2005 11:39 AM

I accidentally stumbled into this morass of self-righteous ignorance. I have never read such arrogant BS. You must spend all your time looking in a mirror and thinking how superior you are.

Give me a break.

Posted by: Les in Chicago at August 14, 2005 10:28 PM

Well actually, not all my time.

I take breaks to sleep, eat, and exercise.

Posted by: Cassandra at August 15, 2005 08:23 AM

I would like to express my condolences to Kristen for the loss of her husband. That being said, it is a shame that she has politicized his death and the others' deaths from that horrible day. I watched the 2-hour special on the 9/11 Commission Report and was appalled at what I heard Mrs. Breitweiser say. The Commission went into detail about how the Clinton Administration (term used VERY loosely) had ample opportunity to either capture or kill Osama bin Laden and failed at every turn. Furthermore, it is clear to everyone with an inkling of common sense - even without the Commission's findings - that the 9/11 attacks were in the planning LONG before President Bush took office in 2001. However, all Breitweiser wanted to do was bash the Bush Administration (term used VERY aptly) for its failure to protect her husband and the others who perished on that day. Are you kidding me?! Bill Clinton allowed this Nation to be attacked in 1993 (WTC), 1998 (Kenya & Tanzania), 2000 (USS Cole) and others in between and did nothing. The Commission (another term used VERY loosely) even went so far as to make an excuse for Clinton; it said that he was basically in a pickle about what to do about bin Laden. Hmmmm? I don't see it that way. It said that he felt that if he went after bin Laden, he would be accused of "wagging the dog" because of the Lewinski ordeal. Let's examine that for a moment. If there hadn't BEEN a Lewinski ordeal, well...you finish that statment! But, let's ASSume that they are correct. Uh-oh, had he done what he was sworn to do after the first WTC attack in 1993, then odds are NONE of the other attacks would have taken place, ESPECIALLY the brutal attack on September 11, 2001. It sickens me to see/hear people make statements that make all of the deaths on 9/11/01 in vain. Put the blame where the blame belongs; Osama bin Laden and then work your way forward from 1993.

Posted by: salthen4 [TypeKey Profile Page] at February 7, 2006 12:05 AM

I happen to know one of the "grieving widows" and her clown father who is running around making a big name for himself on the memory of his dead son-in-law. What a phony! If the truth were told about the father, the other "families" would lynch him.

Posted by: Sam Benson at June 26, 2006 11:35 AM

Are you people so far in the dark that you cant find the light switch? you want to say that Kristen Breitweiser is to be hated do you live in america since when to we take the victims that have the courage to stand up for their rights and this countries rights and hate them. Terroriest took away her husband republicans do a poor job in trying to defend the fact that they knew about the attacks prior to 9/11. If it was one of your family memebers would you hold a different view or would you still have your republican heads stuck up your asses? I think that it is so sad that even though it has been proven time and time again that Bush had plans to go to Iraq and reform Iraq before 9/11 it is now proven that 2 of the terroiest that were in this country that no one could seem to find had bank accounts and phone numbers listed in the phone book. For almost 8 years now we have lived under the Bush addmistration the republicans are the majority in congress and somehow simpleminded people still blame the Democrates and Bill Clinton for the worlds problems HELLOOOO The bush addmistration has sent this world to hell in a hand basket face it place blame where blame belongs place blame on your beloved republicans place blame on the people that allowed bin laden to carry out his plan and place blame on the people that gained from 9/11 (BUSH) place blame on the people who have ties in our government offices to Bin Laden place Blame on the government that allowed Bin Ladens family the safety they needed to flee this country without one single question if my family had attacked the world trade center would I be given immunity? I sure the hell do not think so. Why was The bush addmistration so against the 9/11 commission why did Chaney try to shoot it down at all cost, why did Henery Kissinger resign from the commitee after a group of widows ask to see his client base to assure them their were not links to bin laden? Why was the Vcf established for victems of 9/11 the vcf took away victems rights would not not expect the government to pay for the lifestyle you lead when your husband/wife is killed in such a evil attack on america it is the same as if they were killed in the line of duty. all ask is for people to step up and gain a clue because if america does gain the courage and strength that risten Breitweiser found to stand up and change things and face Washington we are in trouble.

Posted by: Dana Ponder at September 8, 2006 10:19 AM

IF YOU HAD TO RECIEVE YOUR HUSBANDS LEFT HAND WITH HIS WEDDING RING ON IT, LET US SEE HOW YOU WOULD REACT.
THERE MAY BE SOME LOW LIFES THAT WERE UNHAPPY IN THEIR MARRIAGES AND REAPED BENEFITS. I GUARENTEE THERE WERE MORE THAT WERE DEVESTATED. ANN SHOWS UP ON TV WITH HER LOW CUT ATTIRE AND SHORT SKIRTS NAME SLINGING. SHE COMES OFF AS AN UNINTELLIGENT PERSON. HOW DARE ALL OF FYOU JUDGE THESE WOMEN. SOUR GRAPES!

Posted by: tracy at September 8, 2006 11:16 PM

Hey Dana Ponder... "get a clue" on how to write a coherent sentence. Only then should you think about posting, because you sound like a complete idiot.

Ann Coulter is 100% correct... You expect Kristen B. to be off-limits to criticism, simply because her husband was killed on 9/11. I have sympathy for her loss of her husband, but she is the one taking this to the next level. Sure, as a citizen, she has a right to speak up and criticize. However, anyone else has the right to criticize Breitweiser's political views without being concerned that the likes of you want to put up the "but, I am a 9/11 widow" invisible force field. Why don't you go research how much Breitweiser has been paid for some of her political activities. Sorry, she is disqualified from being known solely as just a grieving widow and is fair game.

Posted by: Taipei Personality at September 9, 2006 01:29 AM

Actually Tracy, since my son is a police officer (you know, those guys who rushed *into* the WTC to try and save guys like Kristen Breitweiser's husband after 9/11?) and my husband is a Marine (again, the guys who put their lives on the line to try and take out the jerkwads who strap bombs to teenaged boys and fly planes into buildings) I guess there is something in me that just isn't all that sympathetic to Ms. Breitweiser's money grubbing.

I have watched military widows come out of their houses right after losing their husbands and comfort other wives, or go to baby showers.

That is bravery. They don't think about taking - they think about giving back, even in their grief. Ms. Breitweiser could have used her grief to work to make this country safer. Instead she bitched about how she didn't get enough MONEY. How much MONEY do the police, firefighters, and military get when they lose one of their own protecting civilians like her husband?

He was unlucky.

My husband was in the Pentagon that day too. If he had died and I had acted like she did, I could not have lived with the shame. When a young Marine wife like Emily Dieruf with no college education and no money loses her husband and goes right out and starts a charity to support Marine families - when that is how SHE chooses to honor her husband's life, that just shows up women like Breitweiser for what they really are.

I am sorry she lost her husband, but that doesn't excuse her behavior. Lots of people lose people they love. And lots of people rise above it.

Posted by: Cassandra at September 9, 2006 06:58 PM

I'm sorry, I don't know what an "asshat" is--can you explain?

I try to be nice to 9/11 widows of all stripes--call me old-fashioned . . .

The propagation of the idea that Ms. Breitweiser is an "asshat" or a "slut" or a "moneygrubber" or that she is less patriotic than military widows who do not particularly want to look into facts in their time of grief seems . . . un-American

Posted by: Lorraine Selby at September 11, 2006 05:39 PM

Asshat? Only an asshole would say that about a woman who asks these questions. And only assholes would refuse to answer them in the name of "partiotism":

DONAHUE: So you’re watching live television. You have received the call from your husband saying “Don’t worry.” You turn on the TV, you see the second plane hit and you know, don’t you?
BREITWEISER: I knew right away. I knew approximately where his office was because he said that he was looking directly across at tower one. And I just had a feeling inside. And then when I saw the building subsequently collapse, I just said, “My God, he is gone.” And I fell to the floor and...

DONAHUE: Was your 3-year-old daughter there?
BREITWEISER: And my dog and...

DONAHUE: Probably wanting to know what’s going on with Mom. That’s -
OK, so here you are. You know you’re not alone. Nothing anybody’s going to say is going to ever make you feel better. You got to hold up. You’ve got a daughter you got to worry about, all the rest.

But as the days go on-do I understand this, that-you know, and you start to put yourself together here, was it an anger that you felt?
BREITWEISER: I think what really initially started was I saw the picture of the president in, I think it was “Newsweek” or “Time” magazine, and I read the caption. And the caption said, you know, “Andy Card telling the president about the second plane.” And then I read that he proceeded to read for 25 minutes to the 2nd-graders. He was in a Sarasota school that morning for a reading program.
And I read it again, and I thought it was, you know, misreported. And it wasn’t, and I got upset. I said, you know, this nation was under attack. It was clear that we were under attack. Why didn’t the Secret Service whisk him out of that school? He was on live local television in Florida. The terrorists, you know, had been in Florida. I mean, we find out that out now. He was less than 10 miles from an airport.

DONAHUE: Right.
BREITWEISER: And I-I am concerned. I want to know why the Secret Service did not whisk him away. I want to know why he is the commander-in-chief of the United States of America, our country was clearly under attack, it was after the second building was hit. I want to know why he sat there for 25 minutes.

Posted by: Maryann O'Brien at September 11, 2006 07:00 PM

Maryann:

This may be difficult for you to understand, but I have this thing called a "job" that sometimes requires me to do other things that sit around waiting to respond to comments on a personal web site.

I'm sure if you really, really think about it for a few seconds though, you might be able to comprehend how an hour and 20- odd minutes might go by without a response to a comment.

Let me know when you have the answer.

Posted by: Cassandra at September 11, 2006 07:06 PM

In an event, that seems a rhetorical question. Lorraine has access to a computer - let her google 'asshat' - I might suggest the Urban Dictionary. I am not Merriam Webster.

Regarding my subjective valuation of Ms. Breitweiser's character, this is America and I have already answered that question in previous comments. We obviously disagree. She prefers to be angry at a President who did not attack her husband instead of being angry at the men who killed him.

And she prefers to drain the national treasury of funds that might be better used to help prevent future attacks, even though she had a life insurance policy that was, from all accounts, quite generous, or even better, donating her share of the proceeds to those who had far less than she did.

As a military wife, I find that quite astonishing, when some people are giving their all trying to keep this from happening again for far less money.

But in this grab all you can culture, others obviously do not.

Posted by: Cassandra at September 11, 2006 07:12 PM

If you really want to see what integrity means,
check out Breitweiser's measured, intelligent, thoughtful response to Ann Coulter's guttersniping. Now THAT's how a lady slaps a PIG!

Breitweiser is a better woman than I am, and she is certainly a better woman and citizen than the people who call her an asshat, or the dishonest commentators who are always pretending that they are military widows or sisters of soldiers who are proud to be in Iraq . . .

I'm proud of our soldiers and so are all those who support Breitweiser's right and responsiblity to ask hard questions of our leaders. In fact, I'm so proud of our military, and so respectful of their lives, I wish the President would make time to greet every coffin that comes home, and mention every name on nightly news, out of respect for their sacrifices and those of their families.

Posted by: Lorraine Selby at September 11, 2006 08:12 PM

We're in a war in a country that had nothing to do with the attacks on 9/11, Osama bin Laden is still free, the war is costing billions of dollars, and a so-called military war widow is whining about Kristin Breitweiser draining the U. S. treasury? Lady, have you ever taken a math lesson or did you miss that part of school?

Posted by: Maryann O'Brien at September 11, 2006 08:31 PM

Actually, I tutored Calculus, Statistics, and College Algebra and had a 4.0. Poor choice of question.

Posted by: Cassandra at September 11, 2006 09:18 PM

No one questions her right to ask questions. It is only you who questions the right of other Americans to answer her right to free speech with opposing speech. Seems somehow... unamerican.

That is very likely the single dumbest thing I have ever heard in my entire life.

A funeral is a private expression of grief, meant for family members.

If the President of the United States attends, he has to include Secret Service, the press corps, and a whole host of other folks who have no business intruding on
f the grief of those who have made the ultimate sacrifice.

If you had an ounce of decency, you would not suggest that the President turn a private occasion of mourning into a photo op or a chance to "prove" his "street creds" to folks like you who doubt that he cares about the military. Anyone who has ever watched the way he is greeted on military bases (and I have) doesn't need that "proof".

Get over yourself. The very suggestion is obscene and the fact that you would subject a grieving family to the media circus just to satisfy your partisan agenda speaks volumes. I can't help but wonder how many military funerals you've been to?

Yeah. I thought so.

Posted by: Cassandra at September 11, 2006 09:26 PM

Cassandra--So why don't you use those superior math skills in your reasoning about the costs of this war + tax cuts vs. your slander of Mrs. Breitweiser?

And re-read my comments about Mr. Bush--if he had to greet each coffin as it arrives, he would make better choices about where and when and for what our soliders need to die. Instead, their bodies are shipped home at night and in secret, specifically to keep the press from covering the matter. So much for free speech.

Keep talking, Cassandra--you and Miss Coulter and your big mouths and and narcissism and poor reasoning are the best thing to happen to the left in a long, long time.

Posted by: Maryann O'Brien at September 11, 2006 11:52 PM

"No one questions her right to ask questions."

really? it seems that much of your venom and personal slander
is directed at exactly her right to ask questions and keep asking them until they are answered.

(Mrs. Breitweiser is a "slut?" Have you checked out the rest of your web site lately, or the cover of Miss Coulter (never a mother, never a mrs.) new book? Who's acting like a slut here?

you can fantasize all you want about military men--you'll never be their pin-up girl, no matter how much you slather over them.

Posted by: a really pretty republican girl at September 12, 2006 02:56 AM

Cassandra says: "SnoozeWeak and the other Dhimmi-witted LameStream media are trying their damnedest to make us lose this one the way they did in Vietnam. We're a little wiser to their ploys this time around."

"Us," paleface? When's the last time you were forced to sleep in the sand and wonder if you should tell on your buddies, who you
saw raping a young innocent girl? When's the last time you were deployed to Iraq twice because so many Bush supporters would never enlist in this war they say they support.

Luxurious fantasy life you lead, couch patriot.

Careful, girlie--or are you a guy pretending to be a girl--a soldierlovin' fake girl?

Posted by: Loyaltobuddiesnotcouchpatriots at September 12, 2006 03:01 AM

First of all you people need to learn to read.

I did not call anyone a "slut". Try again.

This wasn't mine either.

Your comments would sound more intelligent if you got the basic facts right.

And the "Coulter" comments are misdirected. I don't read her. Waste of time.

Posted by: Cassandra at September 12, 2006 05:28 AM