« X-Box Help | Main | Road To Hell Paved With Moral Equivalence »

June 13, 2005

Clue For Sale

Remember 9/11? I do.

"It's blood money that I don't want," Trant said. "I want my husband back."

Tell me about it, hon. Just listen to this tragic story:

At the time of his death, Dan Trant, 40, was quickly moving up the ladder as a bond trader at Cantor Fitzgerald, making $130,000 in addition to tens of thousands in bonuses in his final year. Based on his estimated future earnings, the Federal Victim Compensation Fund awarded Kathy Trant $4.2 million, of which she received half. She got another $3 million from friends and family.

"I didn't know how to give back because so many people gave to me when I lost my husband," Trant said.

Trant began lavishing gifts on friends and family. She gave her former housekeeper $15,000 to buy a home in El Salvador, she spent $70,000 to take six friends to the Super Bowl and another $30,000 for a trip for 20 to the Bahamas.

She said Dan would have wanted to help others, and he would have also liked to improve their home as well. So Trant spent $1.5 million to nearly triple the size of her suburban New York home. She spent $350,000 on the back yard, installing a full basketball court also equipped for volleyball, tennis and Rollerblading, a heated pool and a hot tub.

Trant also blew millions on frivolous items for herself. Her walk-in closet houses a $500,000 shoe collection, gowns by Versace and Capelli that go for $5,000 each and Fendi and Judith Leiber handbags, also $5,000 per bag.

Now she's "down to her last $500K" and insists she only wants to help other chronic shoppers. Huh.

Could this be why I said this was a bad idea last year?

Here's a radical thought, sweetie: why don't you try doing something to help the people who are trying to prevent another 9/11?

But that would have required a level of public-spiritedness I'm not sure any of you ladies possess.

Posted by Cassandra at June 13, 2005 10:57 AM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Clue For Sale:

» Dawn Patrol from Mudville Gazette
Iraq Rebuilding [365 and a Wake Up - in Iraq] Yellow Bracelet My words fall flat on the living room floor As we try to speak of shallow things But the only thing in our minds is the unspeakable Your... [Read More]

Tracked on June 15, 2005 08:33 AM

Comments

Should we add her to The List?

Posted by: spd rdr [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 13, 2005 12:22 PM

Down to her last 500K?

That must be a frightening proposition.

Posted by: Pile On [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 13, 2005 12:39 PM

Help other chronic shoppers? But they are great for the economy. She is helping America. Don't stop, hon. Keep it up so one day I can take care of you with my tax dollars. Oops, I already did that, didn't I?

Posted by: KJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 13, 2005 01:17 PM

I blame The Shrub and and his reckless and arrogant adMENistration. I think she should demand the feds compensate her for the emotional damage she has suffered from this tragic shopping addiction.

Then she can spend it all at Nordstrom Rack. I hear they have a to-die-for sale on fall shoes.

Posted by: Bush Ate My Soul... [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 13, 2005 01:32 PM

So, she's "down to her last $500K"...wherever will she go? Whatever will she do?! I can't think about that today; I'll think about it tomorrow...

My heart bleeds buttermilk for her. Show me the money!!!

Posted by: camojack [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 13, 2005 03:00 PM

She can sell her triple large suburban home, get herself either some annuities or some CDs and downsize.

Or she can get a job.

Posted by: Crckt [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 13, 2005 04:02 PM

Society did put a price on the life of her husband, and she received half, and got three mill more from us.

I would say she was well compensated at over five mill, with the possibility of two more to come.

She will have access to scholarship funds and other forms of compensation.

Too bad she didn't use them wisely.

Give to a scholarship fund, or some favorite charities and set her kids up.

I wonder what will happen to my LD son. He will be living with us for the rest of his life and when the Engineer goes, (if he predeceases me)
the children get 50% of the 55% of his retirement.

Oh, and we had to pay for that, BTW. Along with the dental and health insurance, which I need to have as my arm continues to give me fits.

No, I don't want pity. Just your prayers for a complete healing...okay?

Posted by: Crckt [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 13, 2005 04:09 PM

There was an understandable instinct after 9/11 to throw as much money as we could at the relatives of the victims. But no amount of cash would give them their loved ones back. Helping those who would have been stuck without an income is one thing. But showering down riches as if having a relative die is the equivalent of winning the lottery is perverse. You're right, the money would be much better spent helping people who are trying to prevent future 9/11s.

Posted by: Van Helsing [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 13, 2005 05:11 PM

While I whole heartedly agree in helping the young widows and their babies, I have to interject here that as long as they can work (which seems to be the case of ol Blood 'n Money Trant) they can provide up to a point.

Beyond that, why should they have to worry about getting an education and medical care? As long as they don't remarry, they will have SOMETHING, but they will have to pay for it.

That is where the real charity begins, in the long term.

Posted by: Crckt [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 13, 2005 06:46 PM

I remember thinking long ago that these recipients of the largesse of the American populace and government might conceivably each adopt the family of a service member who died to avenge the deaths of their loved ones. That way, the 9/11 families' children could go to college, and the sons and daughters of a Marine or soldier who died in Iraq or Afghanistan could also go. With 7.2 million bucks in hand, how tough would it have been to put $25K or $50K at interest or in a mutual fund in the name of a soldier's kids? For example, $70K to go to the Super Bowl? Well, true enough, the friends she took their would have had to watch the game on TV, and that might not be very fair, but sacrifices must be made.

Posted by: MathMom [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 14, 2005 07:37 AM

Mathmom, that makes sense. That means she would be acting RESPONSIBLY. We can't have calculated actions based on gratitude or some other altruistic motive. It has to be based on 'feelings.'

Your response would also preclude that she was bright enough to prioritize her life and determine what she wanted from it after her husband died.

You are too kind.

Posted by: Crckt [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 14, 2005 03:29 PM

I'm probably in a minority here, but I feel sorry for this woman.

I remember going to Ground Zero and feeling the bottom fall out of my soul. Two months later and the pile was still smoking, the pictures were still posted everywhere, the endless bouquets of wilted or dead flowers lined the sidewalks, the messages in long rows. Oh, the messages!

I picked up some ashes from along the railing at that little church nearby. It was like being in a giant crematorium, ashes lay over everything and mounded on the tops of the gravestones like dry, grey snow.

I put the ashes in a small container and took them home. Left them on the altar at church for awhile, not knowing what else to do with them.

That woman is desperate and unspeakably sad, trying to fill the hole in her soul. Yeah, she wasted a whole lot of money that could have been utilized to help others. Obviously, she's not in charge anymore. If she ever was, who knows?

Maybe it was her atomized husband she was trying to re-create?...if some microscopic piece of my husband was in that container, what would *I* do? Probably some of the same manic, obscene things she did.

All I know is, there but for the grace of God...

Posted by: Dymphna [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 15, 2005 11:45 PM