« Why WOT Defeat Is Inevitable | Main | Sex, Lies, And Voter Disenfranchisement? Hardly »

June 25, 2005

More Kelo Perspectives

Best...Kelo...Post...Ever....

The Otter Slide To Hell.

Posted by Cassandra at June 25, 2005 08:38 AM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference More Kelo Perspectives:

» Need some reading? from Argghhh! The Home Of Two Of Jonah's Military Guys..
Carnival of the Recipes is up at over at Dana's! Carnival of Cordite is up at Revolutionary War Veteran's Association. The Navy seems to be having trouble with premature discharge issues. H/t, Larry K. Confederate Yankee is throwing salt in... [Read More]

Tracked on July 1, 2005 11:04 AM

Comments

Yeah. Let's confiscate all the churches and replace them with gambling casinos. Our tax revenues would go way up. That was the main rationale the city had for taking the land.
Once again, great links, Cass. Hear is the actual court decision, if you want to link it.

Posted by: Pat'sRick© at June 25, 2005 03:15 PM

I must be having a problem with my ability to comprehend what I read.....I re-read the 5th Ammendment to the Constitution, and I don't see any thing wishy-washy on the property rights issue.

Maybe it's a good thing that simple folks like me have legions of lawyers around to keep me from
harm.Like if I suddenly feel the urge to exercise my 2nd Ammendment rights again.There's some empty space in the gun cabinet.

Posted by: Greg at June 25, 2005 03:25 PM

No, there's nothing wrong with you Greg :)

Posted by: Cassandra at June 25, 2005 06:07 PM

Yes, Greg, there is something very wrong with you. But that isn't it.

Posted by: KJ at June 25, 2005 11:15 PM

Yes, the lawyers names are Legion.
*running away*

I have been doing a slow burn over this. How does a Court decision get reversed, if ever? Any precedents?

Posted by: Cricket at June 25, 2005 11:54 PM

"No, there's nothing wrong with you Greg :)"

Yes there is: he has EMPTY space in the gun cabinet. ;-)

Posted by: Bob at June 26, 2005 12:15 AM

Just to update, folks, I believe most liberals including myself are dead set against this decision. And strangely in agreement with Scalia.

Does it bother any of you that George W. Bush used this same (perfectly legal) abuse of eminent domain to basically make his fortune? Just wondering.

"The Rangers also encouraged the state legislature to allow creation of the quasi-governmental Arlington Sports Facilities Development Authority as owner and developer of the ballpark with the power of eminent domain. Never before had a Texas municipal authority had the right to seize private property for the benefit of a sports facility, and it used its power to condemn 13 acres for half of the appraised value"

value.http://espn.go.com/mlb/bush/saturday.html

Of course this is the left-wing ESPN network owned by Michael Moore...

Posted by: Old Testament Liberal at June 26, 2005 01:09 AM

OTL: I am out on a limb here since I don't often respond and I usually chirp and then go to my corner. I don't think it would matter who was in office. Eminent domain has been abusing private property rights for decades to where everyone just accpets the fact that you can't fight city hall.

That more than anything disturbs me; the idea that government has rights to take from people, not protect. That is the slippery slope I see, and this most recent legislation by the Supremes is a case in point.

Greg, you need to feed your gun cabinet. You also need to practice the time honored art of making holes in tin cans and shattering bottles.

Posted by: Cricket at June 26, 2005 06:36 AM

AAhh, in my own defense, it's a new gun cabinet.For only $0.39 more, I had it "super-sized".

OTL, it may be splitting hairs, but the Arlington Ballpark issue was a public project (if I remember correctly), however, I agree with you that it is no less distasteful.Now the same bruhaha is going on over a new stadium for the Cowboys.

The only recourse that is left is for individual States' Legislatures to pass laws to halt this practice.(yeah,right).

My default position is unchanged----the Constitution is not a "Living Document",subject to interpetation.

Posted by: Greg at June 26, 2005 01:56 PM

I know this much;I am going over to our local pawn shop and ask about learning how to use firemarms and what the cost of it is.our the pawn shop also has a shooting range.Grim also had a great suggestion that I believe we all should follow.if any of us should be called to jury duty involving "imenent Domain" cases involving private citizens having their land stolen from them,we should not finding them(homeowners guilty)if we go buy the Constitution.If these guys have sugur thrown in their gas tanks find them not guilty!But the only problem I see is that most Americans are so Constitutionally illiterate they wouldn't know how to rule on such cases.First the igorance must be stopped!

Posted by: Lisa Gilliam at June 26, 2005 04:40 PM

the Constitution is not a "Living Document",subject to interpetation."

Every time I hear this I am reminded of Scalia's snarky comment in one of his dissents about one of the particularly moronic decisions of the rest of the court. He describes it as lurking about like some kind of zombie, waiting to scare little old ladies, etc. like something out of Night of the Living Dead :)

I think it was Crooked Timber that had a parody of The Living Constitution that was something like that - it was pretty funny... Ah! found it:

High Concept for a Horror movie: The Constitution really *is* a living document. Key scenes:

Night. CONSTITUTION escapes from display case in Library of Congress. Seen lurking in alleyway off of Mass Ave. Shadows. Attacks and eats Cato Institute INTERN.

Day. The NATIONAL GUARD attempt to capture the Constitution on the Mall. Suddenly, ARTICLE III is invoked in a novel way. The GUARDSMEN find themselves guilty of treason and are forced to arrest themselves.

Morning. Quiet alley. Constitution hides in a dumpster. We hear it interpreting itself in a high-pitched chatter. BABY AMENDMENTS push up the dumpster lid and escape into the city.

A home office. A MAN sits at a computer. The Constitution moves stealthily behind him, past a banner on the wall reading ‘Proud to be a Resident Scholar at the AEI.’ He hears a noise behind him, turns and brandishes a gun. The Constitution quickly reinterprets the SECOND AMENDMENT and the gun disappears. The Man looks at his hand in horror, and then up at the advancing AMENDMENT. Fade Out.

Day. Golf Course. The EIGHTH AMENDMENT appears from the heavy rough and devours Justice SCALIA from the legs up. Vice President CHENEY putts to save par, makes some adjustments to Scalia’s scorecard, and smiles quietly to himself.

Posted by: Cassandra at June 26, 2005 09:30 PM

I'll tell ya one thing, if Howard Dean got rich by stealing my property, I'd... Well, I sure wouldn't defend him. Insult me, OK, but steal from me that's another thing.

It is not a partisan issue. This also shows that the so-called "moderates" and "liberals" on the SCOTUS are not necessary on the people's side.

Posted by: Old Testament Liberal at June 26, 2005 10:11 PM

This isn't a partisan issue. And Bush wasn't the Rangers. He was a minority owner. Not that it matters. ED (heh) has been used by cities/sports teams all over the country to take property for stadiums. I am against using public money for stadiums, but if you allow it one place, you have to allow it everyplace or they can't compete.

Posted by: KJ at June 27, 2005 12:12 PM

I was so glad when I found out that Turner Field was going to be privately financed.

One of the biggest disappointments is when the cities say they can spend all this money on sports teams without raising taxes. Well, if you can do it without raising taxes, then don't do it and give us our tax money back.

Posted by: Masked Menace© at June 27, 2005 12:31 PM

MM,

Turner Field was private, but it would never have been privately financed w/o the Olympics to piggy back onto. The stadium was first used as the track and field stadium, then retrofitted afterwards into a baseball stadium.

Had Atlanta not won the Olympics, we would likely be facing (or already faced) public financing of a new stadium. After all, the Georgia Dome was, I believe, a publicly financed project. Though, in fairness, the Dome does lots more than house the Falcons.

Posted by: KJ at June 27, 2005 02:44 PM

The Georgia Dome is probably the epitome of a public-use stadium in the U.S.
Sited at a MARTA stop, it's convenient to get to.I had the pleasure of attending my first event there on New Year's Eve last year, the Peach Bowl.Coming from Cobb County to the Northern Terminus of MARTA's rail line and returning was simple.The Dome an easy walk, and the 'Canes whomping the living shiite outta the Gators---priceless.

Money well spent in my book

Posted by: Greg at June 27, 2005 03:15 PM

KJ, absolutely correct about the Olympics making the difference in Turner Field.

And unlike Montreal, Atlanta did it right in designing the baseball field first, then working out how to make it into the Olympic track and field stadium.

Posted by: Masked Menace© at June 27, 2005 04:16 PM