« Denizens Report | Main | Democracy: The Glorious Dream »

June 26, 2005

RightTalk Radio: Getting The Word Out

A message from Buzz Patterson:

Friends and Fellow Americans With the recent onslaught by liberals that Guantanamo Bay is a "gulag," that our military is akin to "Nazis" and America is the "terrorist" nation, the war of our generation hangs in the balance. "Politicians" such as Dick Durbin, Howard Dean, Ted Kennedy, Nancy Pelosi and Charlie Rangel are harkening to an old and tired ploy - America is wrong and our military is criminal. If we, as a nation, are not forearmed we will lose this war as we did in Vietnam. A just and noble cause will be squandered. The sacrifice and lives of American servicemen and women will have been in vain. It will be a tragedy of worldwide and historical proportions. Our national security will be compromised; millions of free and Democratic peoples in the Middle East will be foresaken for American politics.

Personally, I'm disgusted and angry.

Rightalk Radio Network, in conjunction with Move America Forward, is doing something about it! From July 8th through July 16th, 10 radio talk show hosts, two filmmakers, and two journalists are traveling to CENTCOM HQ in Tampa, FL, Kuwait, and Baghdad to report directly to you what is actually going on. The good news exponentially outweighs what CNN, the New York Times, or the Washington Post would have us (you) believe. Soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines will be asked to discuss their honor and commitment to our war on terror. You will hear them live from the front lines. They are the heroes next door. They are not Stalin's Soviets, Hitler's Nazi's or Pol Pot's murderers. They are proud and honored men and women from Everywhere, USA.

Please support our effort in whichever and whatever capacity you can. Move America Forward is asking for contributions for coffee, cookies and calling cards which the show hosts will deliver personally to our men and women in uniform. Personal messages will be taken straight from you to them. You can find the details at www.moveamericaforward.org. If you are able to contribute, please specify your contribution in the notes section at the website for the Iraq Trip - Voices of Soldiers Are Heard!

We will be posting the broadcasting schedule for all of the hosts on this site in the coming days. My schedule will be posted at www.rightalk.com under "The Buzz Cut." I'll be broadcasting and interviewing live from CENTCOM HQ, Baghdad, and Kuwait.

Thank you for your remarkable support and kindness over the years. If you are as outraged as I, please let me know. Your messages will be personally delivered by me to our CENTCOM personnel in Tampa and our deployed men and women in Iraq and Kuwait.

We cannot, for the sake of our country and for the citizens of Iraq and Afghanistan, surrender to the political expediency of a party so completely out of touch. They failed us in what was once a just and noble cause to fight Communism, they are miserably failing us again.

Our troops deserve so much better. Please let your voice be heard as you hear theirs!!

Please support this worthy effort. Buzz is a longtime reader and an all-around great guy. For those of you who don't know him, he's a former Air Force combat pilot who served as military aide to President Bill Clinton. Buzz has written two books about his experiences and is working on a third right now.

I'm going over there right now to make an obscenely large donation. Cough it up, people.

Posted by Cassandra at June 26, 2005 12:28 PM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference RightTalk Radio: Getting The Word Out:

» COVERING THE MILITARY THE RIGHT WAY from Michelle Malkin
Stephen Spruiell at The Media Blog covers the new Pew Research survey showing the American public's dissatisfaction with MSM coverage of the military. Writes Spruiell: This rising dissatisfaction with press coverage of the military doesn’t mean, howe... [Read More]

Tracked on June 27, 2005 01:37 PM

» The MSM Coverage of the Military - the 'Right' Way As Viewed By The Public from Hyscience
Michelle Malkin comments on the Stephen Spruiell at The Media Blog and his highlights of the new Pew Research survey showing the American public's dissatisfaction with MSM coverage of the military. [Read More]

Tracked on June 27, 2005 11:14 PM

Comments

Thanks, I will not contribute to right-wing radio. Let the President and his people make his case. And let him articulate a strategy that is more than "hope for the best", "stay the course", and "bash the Democrats".

I think maybe Michael Moore is for pulling out or Iraq, but very few actual Democratic leaders are at this point. Not even Howard Dean.

The PEOPLE are losing faith. It is not the fault of the Democratic leadership. Washington Democrats, as we have seen, are lousy at selling their message. If Joe Biden said "pull out now", support for the war would gain ten points.

For a bunch of people who can really run an effective political campaign, the Bushies are atrocious in selling this war. Maybe it's because they have to invent a new justification every month. Let them rev up the right wing noise machine to a good cause, let them INSPIRE America.

Earth to Bush: You don't win over Democrats by bashing them. Nor even Independents. You won't win the war with 42% of the public behind you. As people kept scolding Dean during the campaign; you need a positive message, not just a negative one.

What some people, even the "liberal" Chuck Hagel are saying, is that things are not going as well as the Administration tells us, and we are doing some things wrong.

Violating international law in the sense of illegal detentions, renditions, and torture is one of these errors. It appears to gain no useful intelligence. It plays to the stereotype of evil Yankee Imperialist and undermines our credibility. When we tell people we're bringing them freedom, they take a look and say, if that's freedom American style, no thanks.

To win this war, criticism will be necessary. Our leadership appears to be failing and needs to re-think it.

The Democratic party, Congressional, and Senate leadership is not invited into the councils of the Administration, and it not responsible for leading the war effort.

Bush is.

I do know that my company has a big water contract in Iraq, and out project manager in Baghdad cannot even safely visit the jobsite. They have project meetings in Bucharest. That makes it very hard to get anything done.

Posted by: Old Testament Liberal at June 26, 2005 10:47 PM

OTL -

Do you ever read Iraq The Model? (he's having technical difficulties, so you'll have to scroll down quite a bit to get to his top post)

I'll believe an Iraqi who actually lives in the war zone, to our overfed Senator Kennedy, the botoxed Pelosi, the dumb-as-a-bag-of-hammers Boxer, who all want us to fail, for partisan reasons.

Yes, Bush could use the bully pulpit to a better advantage. At the same time, you'd expect adult Democrats to be able to see beyond the next election.

Posted by: MathMom at June 26, 2005 11:26 PM

Math Mom
Hopefully he or she will peruse that site in detail.

OTL
Rove's remarks were targeted to liberal organizations like moveon.org, who did exactly what he said one day after the attack on the World Trade Center. His remarks were dead on. He did not say "Democrats", although that party has risen in outrage. Interesting that Hillary, who poses as a moderate, was offended by his remark.

Posted by: Pat'sRick© at June 27, 2005 06:44 AM

Cassandra-
Thanks for the notice. It will be wonderful to get some pictures of the reconstruction out to the main stream of America (most of whom now distrust the mainstream media with good cause). I shall pony up.

Posted by: Pat'sRick© at June 27, 2005 06:46 AM

Cass

Thanks for picking up on our effort. Too many people, like OTL for example, will believe anything Ted Kennedy or Nancy Pelosi say and completely ignore what 140,000 troops are doing and saying.

OTL, it is you and your ilk that are out of touch. If we lose this war, and millions of Iraqis and Aghanis are murdered and oppressed, its on your shoulders pal. Just as the millions killed in VN and Cambodia were the the result of Kerry - Fonda - Kennedy in 1973.

What makes this an illegal war, and Clnton's forays into Bosnia, Kosovo and Haiti (none with UN approval by the way), legal? Is it your liberal blinders? Thought so.

You're letting your political emotion overcome the facts.

This ain't a game OTL, it's war.

Thanks Cass. I'm done with liberal idiots.

Buzz

Posted by: Buzz Patterson at June 27, 2005 10:28 AM

Splendid Cass! But one wonders, why do my fellows on the Right, especially Hannity, waste breath/type space on the expression "service men and women"? If it's to, in PC fashion, include the 14.7% (2001) of DoD personnel that are women, why not just say "service PEOPLE"?

A minor observance from an enlisted, reservist serviceMAN.

Posted by: CryptoTodd at June 27, 2005 03:01 PM

MathMom:

Point of order. Babble-On Babs (Boxer, not Streisand), a scurrilous denizen of CA, is NOT "...dumb-as-a-bag-of-hammers...", as you said. She's as dumb as a hot-tub cover. Please observe that crucial distinction. You're right about Naddering Nan and Orca Chappaquiddickus.

Posted by: The Great Santini at June 27, 2005 03:13 PM

T. G. Santini, Attorney-at-Law
People's Democratic Republic of California

Dear Sir,

My client, MathMom, is in receipt of your sharp rebuke about the correct adjective to use when referring to Barbara Boxer, and will endeavor to refer to her only as "dumb-as-a-hot-tub-cover Barbara Boxer" in the future. She assumes from your correspondence that it is actually Barbara Streisand that is dumb-as-a-bag-of-hammers.

She regrets any inconvenience this incorrect distinction may have caused.

Very Truly Yours, etc.

Posted by: MathMom at June 27, 2005 05:57 PM

(Ps-s-st, MathMom):

Streisand is actually as dumb as a package of matzoh balls--not to mention more loquacious than a parakeet--but dumb-as-a-bag-of-hammers works for me.

§[:-)]

Posted by: The Great Santini at June 27, 2005 07:19 PM

Cass and Friends

First, I must apologize. I responded to OTL out of passion and caffeine. But I missed the point. Please let me readdress.

I spent 20 years flying for our Air Force in every God-foresaken land our CINC would send us to. Sometimes it was Grenada under Reagan, or the bombing of Libya for Kaddafi's transgressions (also under Reagan), or Just Cause in Panama under Bush Sr, or Somalia, Haiti, Rwanda, Bosnia, Kosovo under Clinton.

I never once, as a fighting man and officer, thought to question my commander-in-chief. I was there, it was what I did, and I was proud to serve. I was apolitical and didn't even vote.

Uhum, now however, I am a retired officer, author, paid political consultant, talk show host. Now I can say what I think and feel. I can no longer absorb this crap. The Left has got to be called to the carpet. The shit stops here.

The Left (and I'm not referring to Democrats or even liberals, I once was one and know the pain of stereotype), do not want our country to win this war. They want everything possible to blow up in Pres Bush's face. That's fine. Only problem is that it gets Americans killed and it jeopardizes millions of innocents in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Spare me the human rights organizations (Amnesty, Red Cross) who wail about prisoner's rights and civilian deaths. I'll give you millions killed and mutilated, human rights subverted at every turn, and a nations without human dignity for decades for every one prisoner who drops his Quran on the floor. Qurans, by the way, that American taxpayers provided. There are no human rights violations inGTIMO. Just ask the USMC in Fallujah. What libs don't get is that these organizations jumping to the rescue in GITMO and elsewhere could give a shit about human rights. No? Where are they when the PLO sends kids to blow up other kids? Where are they in Darfur? Where are they when the mass graves of tens of thousands are uncovered in Iraq? Nowhere. Why? Because it doesn't impugn the US and Pres Bush. Selective morality. Right.

The Left is devoid of reason or heart. When the US military builds schools, provides immunizations to Iraqi children WHO HAVE NEVER HAD THEM, its right wing propaganda. When Micheal Moore calls Zarqawi a "freedom fighter," that's news by GOD.

All the caterwalling on the Left is white noise. The troops don't care. They defend their right to "caterwall" all they want. Another point that libs don't get. They don't understand the military because it's "beneath" them. Who else but dupes would join the service. Libs don't want to get their hair dirty. Tents? No way. Short haircuts? Beastly. Uniforms? Only if its a power red tie, white button down, and blown back hair.

Please.

Buzz

Posted by: Buzz Patterson at June 27, 2005 07:40 PM

OTL -
"As to how rosy the scenario may be, I keep hoping that it may be better than I see in the papers. I don't know."

You do know, and you are telling us all: relentless propaganda works.

Posted by: John Boyle [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 27, 2005 09:20 PM

OTL,

If we had invited Tokyo Rose and Lord Haw Haw to New York and Washington DC, given them open mikes and ink by the barrel, and no one else was allowed to disagree without being labelled "the REAL Nazis" by 90% of the news outlets, we'd never have won WWII.

Posted by: SDN [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 27, 2005 10:15 PM

Buzz,

I don't want to lose the war just to spite President Bush. The cost is too high.

Furthermore, I don't come by my opinions through Pelosi, Streisand, Hillary, or any of the other usual suspects. I'm not sitting here getting Americans killed. Iraqi insurgents, terrorists, Taliban, and others are killing Americans. Not me, not you.

Call me a traitor if you want. I was a kid during Vietnam. Unlike Cheney and Bush, I had no easy way out except being too young. My father, grandfather, two uncles, and niece have served in the military.

You have your own talk show, apparently, through which you can lambaste people like me for exercising their right of free speech. I have no media presence at all.

I was against Saddam when when Reagan and Bush I were sending him missiles, and I'm against him now.

You served your country and I respect that. But, you are out of line blaming me for American deaths. As a military officer it may have been your duty to serve any President and be apolitical. As a private citizen, it is my duty to be political.

As to all the support Clinton got during Kosovo, here are some choice words from three of your friends:

"I don't know that Milosevic will ever raise a white flag," warned Nickles. DeLay agreed: "He's stronger in Kosovo now than he was before the bombing. ... The Serbian people are rallying around him like never before. He's much stronger with his allies, Russians and others." Clinton "has no plan for the end" and "recognizes that Milosevic will still be in power," added DeLay. "The bombing was a mistake. ... And this president ought to show some leadership and admit it, and come to some sort of negotiated end." -Senate Majority Whip Don Nickles of Oklahoma

On Fox News Sunday, DeLay blamed the ethnic cleansing on U.S. intervention. "Clinton's bombing campaign has caused all of these problems to explode," DeLay charged in a House floor speech replayed on Late Edition.

Unless Clinton finds "a way to get the bombing stopped" and to "get Milosevic to pull back his troops" voluntarily, NATO faces "a quagmire ... a long, protracted, bloody war," warned Lott.

How's that for supporting the troops. I suppose Lott, Nickles, and DeLay were responsible for all the Americans killed...Oh, forgot - there weren't any!

Posted by: Old Testament Liberal at June 27, 2005 11:59 PM

OTL, when the troops did clinton's bidding, they could walk on water and do no wrong. And if there were atrocities committed during any of Clinton's
forays using the military, the media IGNORED IT.

As a spouse whose husband served during the clinton 'reign of error' and transitioned from NCO to officer in that time, anyone in the military who spoke against clinton was charged with treason or courtmartialed or kicked out of the service. So much for freedom of speech.

Now that Bush has control of the services, all of a sudden he isn't doing it their way. Any slip ups, any bad apples, the media has a field day.
Blaming Bush for everything is somewhat of a media
meme (sorry Cass, and please don't hurl), especially when it is a war that is being fought for far better reasons than Kosovo, a regime removal that will entail the people put in who they want and not some Clinton puppet as in Haiti.

Is there bias? Yeah. Those who have served do so with pride in their jobs and with distinction, regardless of who the CIC is. However, when it comes to party lines, the media definately is liberal, biased and objectionable.

Did abuse happen at Abu Ghraib? Yes. Was it known before the media got hold of it? Yes. Was it being investigated by the time the story hit the main news media outlets? Yes.

Did the Army punish those responsible. YES.
Is that ever reported? NO.

Posted by: Cricket at June 28, 2005 04:27 PM

OTL

You're missing the point (or at least my point). Nothing wrong with having a political opinion, you are right, its your responsibility as an American. Being informed is also your responsibility.

You talk about Bush bashing Democrats? I'm sorry, missed that. Has Bush called anyone from the other side of the aisle "a liar, "a loser," "a criminal" or "stupid?" No. And those come from the Democratic LEADERSHIP! A contradiction in terms if I've ever heard one.

Even during Kosovo, when Repub's did dispute intervention in Kosovo (and Haiti, and Rwanda, and Somalia, and Bosnia, yada yada yada), the personal vitriol never reached this level. I was there, I know.

My point is this: never before in the history of this republic have politicians undermined a sitting commander-in-chief for purely political expediency. Never. And you know who pays the price? Men and women in uniform. Cast around all the "gulags," "Nazi" and "Lenin' references you want. First, they're blatantly false and absurd and I challenge you or anyone else to justify them. Second, when they air 5 minutes later on Al Jazeera, don't you feel a wee bit guilty that Zarqawi and bin Laden are cheering from their caves and spiderholes? Result: more Americans in uniform die.

Feel free to dissent and discuss American politics all you want. Just tell your party to shut the f**k up when they invoke our soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines for their selfish political bent. It ain't cool and, yes, it's treasonous. You bet.

Posted by: Buzz Patterson at June 29, 2005 02:40 PM

"The Left is devoid of reason or heart"

In thirty letters "Buzz" has summed up what is wrong with the world....

I wouldn't hesitate to also include fanatical muslims and the IRS.

Posted by: Dr. Harden Stuhl at September 16, 2005 06:42 PM