« Toward A More Adult Foreign Policy | Main | Greatest Americans »

June 13, 2005

Treating Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Excellent, excellent, excellent article on post-traumatic stress disorder from Salley Satel of AEI. I cannot recommend it enough. Money quote:

"Quick intervention and ready access to services are keys to ensuring that an acute stress reaction does not become a chronic one."

Last year we lost a Marine - a good Marine - to PTSD. It didn't have to happen.

It was nobody's fault. And it was a tragedy I don't think I will ever be able to forget.

The problem, sometimes, is that the best warriors try to be strong and handle everything alone. They are so busy taking care of their men that sometimes they forget to take care of themselves. But PTSD is treatable, and it doesn't have to be permanent. I cannot stress this enough: if you or someone you know is having trouble with this and you think you need help, please get it.

Life is too short and your country needs you.

Posted by Cassandra at June 13, 2005 08:35 AM

Comments

My experience with this disorder is mild car crash victims lying in an effort to jack up the value of their case. I don't do those cases any longer, but I used to see that claim a lot.

Since I don't know anything about people who have this problem for real, I will leave all commenting up to you.

Posted by: KJ [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 13, 2005 09:44 AM

That's the problem - malingerers are more likely to abuse the system (or at least I think that's the perception - it sounds like such a 'whiny' thing: "oooh... I'm so stressed out".)

But when you think about it, it's an intelligent adaptive response to danger: like your immune system, your body is saying, 'next time you ain't catching me unawares' and trying to develop a better early warning system. Unfortunately it can go haywire sometimes.

There was no mistaking that this guy had it bad - but he decided to conceal the symptoms and so no one could help him.

Posted by: Cassandra [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 13, 2005 09:59 AM

Here is a great online resources for those who suffer and their family members:

Posted by: Pooke [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 13, 2005 05:13 PM

It's worth noting here that there's a very inexpensive and quite effective resource available to our military personnel right now that's been helping - peer counseling.

I'm on one of these teams where I work and the research I've been able to read is pretty stunning. In professions where PTSD is a danger, crisis intervention procedures have reduced the likelihood of its appearing greatly and the only real cost is that of training the counselors.

Posted by: Jimmie [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 14, 2005 08:37 AM

l have just read salley satels story and i cavt type anymore because im crying. just a nam marine

Posted by: john collins at April 17, 2006 12:13 PM

who is this salley satel, and where dose she get her source. i would like to get in touch with her over her views on ptsd

Posted by: john collins at April 17, 2006 12:48 PM