« Terrorists Attack London | Main | NY TimesWatch®: It's Miller Time »

July 07, 2005

The Choice

girl.jpg

These terrorists attacked without warning on 11 September 2001. They have attacked in Madrid, in Jakarta, in Morocco.

This is a worldwide war against ideals. There is no separate peace to be made with terrorism.

They are after our way of life and we have to deal with them. There is no other way other than with strength.

- Condoleezza Rice

This is the face of terror.

This is what we've been fighting, all along. Fanatics. They never went away.

Somebody please tell me that this, finally, is what it will take to wake people up to what we're facing.

After September 11th, we heard, "We are all Americans, today." And for today, for just one, blessed day, the hearts of all the world are with London.

Because sympathy is easy. Words are easy. They require little of us. They make us feel so good.

But what of tomorrow?

How long will it be before the bickering starts? Before the backbiting, the retreating, the hedging begin? We've seen it all before.

Listen to their words -- listen to what the animals who carried out this cowardly attack have ordered us to do:

"The heroic mujahedeen carried out a blessed attack in London, and now Britain is burning with fear and terror, from north to south, east to west,"

"We warned the British government repeated. We have carried out our promise and carried out a military attack in Britain after great efforts by the heroic mujahedeen over a long period to ensure its success."

"We continue to warn the governments of Denmark and Italy and all crusader governments that they will receive the same punishment if they do not withdraw their troops from Iraq and Afghanistan,"

Pay close attention. Because we have a choice. As you listen to your leaders in the days and months ahead, think very carefully about whom they serve. Whose will they are carrying out, when they say we should pull out of Iraq. When they say Congress was "misled" into war.

I'm just curious: what will our response be? Because I don't want to see that face here at home. We can cave. Or we can follow the example of the British, who are facing what we do not have to face, today. The "heroic mujahadeen" don't seem to have left Great Britain "burning with fear and terror":

So, what's this "bang" on the tube all about then? Anyone got any clearer idea than "either a bomb or a big crash"? And does this count as Sod's Law, coming the day after the Olympics announcement?

10:24 - Scotland Yard confirm bus explosion on Tavistock Place nr Russell Square, and "multiple" explosions across London. Bus system shut down as well now. This is major.

11:49 - just popped out for a fag. Busses are still running where I am after all. Rather them than me... Two bombs on my route home, so I guess I'm stuck here for a while.

13:01 - God, us Brits are great. Hardly any panic - more just getting pissed off that it's going to be a bugger getting home. I love this country sometimes.

Right. I'd say they're just paralyzed with fear. Christ... they've got poor Tim Worstall blubbering like a baby:

We’ll not be having that.

No grand demonstrations, few warlike chants, a desire for revenge, of course, but the reaction of the average man and woman in the street? Yes, you’ve tried it now bugger off. We’re not scared, no, you won’t change us. Even if we are scared, you can still bugger off.

So the question remains: what are we made of? Or perhaps more importantly, what are we willing to fight for?

Our way of life? Our freedom? Our ideals? Do these things mean nothing to us anymore? I can't speak for anyone else, but I know my answer.

90 dead. 350 wounded. And help on the way.

Goddamnit, not again. Not ever again.

Posted by Cassandra at July 7, 2005 04:33 PM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference The Choice:

» al Qaida claims London explosions from Mark in Mexico
The heroic mujahidin have carried out a blessed raid in London. Britain is now burning with fear, terror and panic in its northern, southern, eastern, and western quarters. [Read More]

Tracked on July 7, 2005 05:48 PM

Comments

I don't know whether this is good news or bad news, but the current casualty numbers are "only" 37 dead, but more than 700 wounded, some of them severely.

Posted by: TigerHawk at July 7, 2005 05:21 PM

So, what's the answer? More war, more bombs in Iraq? More soldiers everywhere? More among the "coalition of the willing"?

It's time for the "coalition of the thinking" to step in. George W. Bush and Tony Blair have stirred the hornets' nest quite enough. Their policies are failures.

Posted by: Matt St. Amand at July 7, 2005 05:22 PM

Ah, Cassie. It *will* happen again. It will take years.

But this was the best they could do?

It's like V1s and V2s - this is the best they can do?

If so - we're winning. Slowly, but surely, we're winning.

But that doesn't mean there won't be some big strikes against us yet. Like this, from this website:

V WEAPONS HIT LONDON
The V1 rocket attack on Britain started on the night of 13/14 June, 1944 and ended on March 29, 1945. A total of 10,500 missiles were launched and 3,957 were destroyed by defences, 3,531 reached England and 2,353 fell on London. The death toll from these missiles was 6,184 killed and 17,981 persons were seriously injured. The last of the V1s (Doodlebug) was destroyed over Sittingbourne in Kent on March 27, 1945. The V2 rocket attack saw a total of 1,115 rockets arrive over England. 517 fell on London, killing 2,754 people, 6,523 were injured. The V2 attack lasted seven months. The first V2 rocket to land in England destroyed the home of Mr and Mrs Clarke at No 1, Staveley Road, London. On November 25th, 164 people were killed when another V2 rocket hit the Woolworth's store in South London. The last V2 rocket to fall on England fell at 4.45pm on March 29, 1945, on the town of Orpington in Kent. In charge of the entire missile project was Dr Hans Kammler (promoted to SS Major General) On September 8, 1944, at 6.48 pm, the first of Kammler's V2s exploded on London. In the closing days of the war, a search for Dr Kammler was launched but he was never found.

To this day, he remains perhaps, the only German general to have disappeared without trace.

V WEAPONS HIT ANTWERP

The city to suffer most from Hitler's vengeance weapons (the V1s and V2s) was the Belgian port of Antwerp. After four years of German occupation the city was now to suffer the agonies that London had endured, only this time much worse. The first V2 rocket struck the city at 9.45am on Friday. October 13, 1944, killing 32 people. On October 28, a V1 killed 71 persons and destroyed forty homes. On November 27, a V2 impacted on Teniers Square as an Allied military convoy was passing through. The explosion killed 157 persons including 29 Allied soldiers.

The worst disaster of all was on December 12, 1944, when a V2 rocket hit the REX CINEMA in Antwerp killing 492 people, mostly british troops. Another 500 were injured. Over a period of 175 days and nights a total of 106 V1s and 107 V2s hit the city killing 3,752 civilians and 731 Allied soldiers. Some 3,613 properties were destroyed.

Just sayin'

Posted by: John of Argghhh! at July 7, 2005 05:26 PM

Matt - if the sidestanders would step to the plate... you might be surprised at what could happen.

Posted by: John of Argghhh! at July 7, 2005 05:27 PM

Matt,
The biggest policy failure was when Bill Clinton refused to take Osama Bin Laden into custody when he had a clear shot and an 99% chance of bringing him in.

We don't make deals with terrorists and whiners.

We will never retreat. Never. Never. Never.

Posted by: Cricket at July 7, 2005 05:45 PM

Posted by: spd_rdr at July 7, 2005 05:54 PM

Your right Matt, if the police just stopped stirring the hornets nests of gangs, muggers, and murderers there'd be a lot less crime. Increasing police levels would only serve to inflame them and make them lash out even more.

Posted by: Masked Menace© at July 7, 2005 06:01 PM

No amount of bombings or other terror attacks will ever make the America-hating Left change their stripes. Commies, socialists, and other leftie wingmuts are just as zealous or fanatical in their dogmatic beliefs as the most die-hard jihadi.

To those leftists, terror attacks are our just desserts for our multitudinous sins (assuming they believed in "sin"). To those leftists who are the base of the Dimocratic party and who seem to proliferate in Hollywood, we are guilty of great evils such as engaging in Capitalism, and believing in private, rather than communal, property rights. We have also committed the unpardonable sin of standing up to, rather than appeasing, our enemies. America is thus the Great Satan to the liberal Left, and deserves the punishment of Sodom and Gommorah. It is no wonder, given the Left's viewpoint, that they are so sympathetic to the jihadis cause.

That is, unless, a Democrayic president is in the White House, at which point the Left holds all of its hatred for America in abeyance until the next Republican administration.

I weep for the pain the British people are going through. I remember feeling that same pain on the morning of 9/11. I think all people of good conscience feel this, and come together in sympathy and solidarity.

Sadly, the Left is probably already circulating talking points memos to blame Bush and America.

Posted by: a former european at July 7, 2005 06:06 PM

Well that answers one question.

We now know what you're made of, Matt.

Posted by: Cassandra at July 7, 2005 06:08 PM

Exactly. It's all our fault. If we'd just bend over and kiss our asses goodbye, they'd go away and leave us alone.

Just like they did after the 1st WTC attack in 1993.

Posted by: Cassandra at July 7, 2005 06:11 PM

I just don't see what the problem is, appeasement worked so well for Europe in the early 40's.

Posted by: Masked Menace© at July 7, 2005 06:17 PM

AFE,
How are you? Well put sir!

Cass, well done. Excellent post and I am SO FREAKING glad you linked to that sniveling
Tim Worstall.

Matt, go live under your sink, inhale the cleaning agents and find your center. Or, better yet, stab yourself in the thigh with a plastic fork for all the white male oppression you are the heir to.

Have a nice day.

Posted by: Cricket at July 7, 2005 06:18 PM

I've only had to give that bully my lunch money every day for 2 years, but I'm sure he'll stop tomorrow.

Posted by: Elementary School Kid at July 7, 2005 06:21 PM

re: that sniveling Tim Worstall...

Heh.

You've got to love the Brits. They embarrass me, sometimes. I was so angry all day, it was like a a knot inside me. I had finally started to cry when I got to his post, and I just busted out laughing when I read the "Fuck you, sunshine! We’ll not be having that."

That was so quintessentially British.

They will be all right. I knew that. But my heart just goes out to them, all the same. I think even more so because they don't make a big fuss.

Posted by: Cassandra at July 7, 2005 06:27 PM

YEP.

I got to 'bugger off' and about lost control of bodily functions.

The monitor has now been cleaned, the key board detailed and a fresh supply of paper towels and Windex laid in.

Posted by: Cricket at July 7, 2005 06:37 PM

My apologies for causing keyboard cleaning folks.

Yes, I was angry, and yes, when I am I revert to being British.

It’s one of these things that are so different between us different English speakers. Any Brit reading that would agree that I was ready to invade Afghanistan on my own, do a Bruce Willis and take Iran for dessert.

To Americans it looks like restraint.

Just different ways of expressing ourselves.

Posted by: Tim Worstall [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 7, 2005 07:39 PM

Oh, I got the anger. Loud and clear.

What made me laugh was the defiance :)

I guess after all of this, that was what really made me feel you all would be all right.

Posted by: Cassandra at July 7, 2005 08:06 PM

You go, girl. You are so right on.

Posted by: deb at July 8, 2005 01:06 AM

How is England today? I am still thinking about it and praying that all the injured will full recover and the perps will be caught.

Posted by: Cricket at July 8, 2005 12:27 PM