« Joe Biden Is Worried... | Main | Fashion, Dimwittery, And Gay Penguins »

September 18, 2005

Against Ignorance, The Gods Themselves...

Once more, EJ Dionne demonstrates his breathtaking ignorance of how the three branches of government are supposed to work:

"Where are you?"

That was the question Sen. Richard Durbin (D-Ill.) almost plaintively posed to Judge John Roberts as the Senate Judiciary Committee's hearings neared their conclusion. It is the right question.

No Mr. Dionne, it is not the right question, unless of course you are trying to issue-shop the way you do when you elect legislators. But this isn't the legislature, is it? Wrong branch. It's the judiciary. And Judge Roberts has stated over and over and over again the only fact germane to how he will rule: that his personal opinions on various issues do not matter. As a matter of fact, it would be highly improper for him to bring them to bear when ruling from the bench.

His job is to interpret the Constitution, not to impose conservative values on America. Not to "represent" the people or make law: that is what Congressmen and women do.

There is a reason Justice has always been portrayed as Blind. Think about it.

We have watched as Democratic Senator after Democratic Senator has publicly vowed not to confirm John Roberts unless he publicly swears to support their political position on abortion, end-of-life issues, or civil rights.

And then these same Senators demand that Roberts disregard his highly objectionable personal political positions when he rules from the bench.

Well, which is it? Is he only allowed to consider your political views when ruling? Oh... he's only allowed to take the correct political views into account. Liberal ones.

And it's absolutely unacceptible for him to remain neutral and leave his own (and your) political views out of the equation and focus on his job: interpreting the Constitution, because that would be.... gosh, I'm sorry, just what was the objection to that one again?

Oh. It's dishonest.

I'm so glad we cleared that up.

Posted by Cassandra at September 18, 2005 09:40 AM

Comments

Roberts will get a Free Pass on this you can count on it.
With the death of Rhenquist, Bush has another pick.
If the Democrats spend too much time and effort trying to discect Roberts, then no one will listen when they "Cry Wolf" on the next choice.
Nope, they`ll cut their losses on Roberts so they can beat the war drums on the next choice.

Plus, picking on Roberts seems to have turned against them. The Media HAS to report on the hearings, but to their chagrin, the more they report, the less dirt their seems to be on him.

No, The Mother Of All SCOTUS nominee battles has yet to come.

Posted by: Joatmoaf at September 18, 2005 11:50 AM

Oh please God, please let Joe Biden have the microphone again.Give Teddy Kennedy a Chivas IV and let the games begin.Let Chuck Schumer practice his mafioso "consigliori" act on a grand stage.This is the best entertainment value around.

As a perverse joke,W should nominate William Jefferson Clinton----then watch him withdraw because he's been dis-bared from the SCOUS.

Greg

Posted by: Greg at September 18, 2005 12:44 PM

Bottom line--anyone other than Pat Robertson gets confirmed as O'Conner's replacement.

Greg

Posted by: Greg at September 18, 2005 05:59 PM

Awesome, Cassandra. That kind of hypocrisy and ignorance is exactly what's been making me crazy about this whole thing. Argghhh! *wanders off, ranting and raving...ocassional screams of frustration are heard*

Posted by: FbL at September 18, 2005 10:02 PM

Personally, I'd lie my ass off to get the job and then thumb my nose at all of them from my high-backed, and permanent, seat on the bench.

Sen. Biden: "Well, do you or don't you agree that that woman and minorities deserved to be seated first at the table of equality?"

Me: "Absolutely, Senator. And I 'll do the dishes too.

Sen. Schumer: "What about a person's tright to die?"

Me: "I'll pull the plug myself if they don't stop complaining."

Sen. Kennedy: "Sex?"

Me: "I'm flattered, but not right now."

Posted by: spd rdr at September 19, 2005 07:57 AM

re: Me: "I'm flattered...

In Senator Kennedy's case, I think that might be too much to swallow.

Posted by: Cassandra at September 19, 2005 08:44 AM

Oh gross. Ted Kennedy and swallow used in the same sentence. I have to add Q-tips to the blog reading supplies now.

Posted by: Cricket at September 19, 2005 03:09 PM

I wondered if anyone was going to object to that... and I thought I had a filthy mind :)

Posted by: Cassandra at September 19, 2005 05:42 PM