« What's In A Name? | Main | Amazing, Expanding Bear »

September 30, 2005

SCOTUS Nominee Picks

John Hawkins at Right Wing News asked a small group of conservative bloggers who they thought Bush would nominate for SCOTUS.

The results are here. As usual, the Blog Princess was somewhat out in left field - we'll see if events prove me right or wrong :)

You can see my comments to John in the extended section.

Wow. Haven't been following this all that closely due to work commitments.

1. Michael Luttig or Karen Williams. Failing that, Diane Sykes or Priscilla Owens. I'm torn between Williams and Owens and Sykes - I'm leaning towards Williams if he goes with a woman because of the abortion thing. She has the most opaque record on Roe.

2. Luttig or Owens. But I'd have loved to see Janice Rogers Brown nominated. She'd have been slaughtered in committee though.

3. Gonzalez (he'll never make it). Don't hate him, but waste of a nomination and unecessarily polarizing. Hillary :)

Posted by Cassandra at September 30, 2005 10:26 AM

Comments

I am leaning toward KJ, but Bush will probably be feeling pressure to replace O'Connor with a person of the female type persuasion. Perhaps he would settle for a man who like to occasionally tastefully cross-dress in fishnet stockings and high heels. Perhaps a certain lawyer from Virginia would fit the bill.

Posted by: Pile On at September 30, 2005 12:17 PM

I was hoping for this guy.

Posted by: Hubris at September 30, 2005 01:19 PM

Sorry, Pile, but my dance card's full. But being a good compassionate conservative, I'm backing this guy for the spot.

Posted by: spd rdr at September 30, 2005 01:39 PM

re: I was hoping for this guy...

Well actually, you have no idea how badly I'm dying to nominate Gunther McLeod

Heh...don't blame me - blame Ilyka.

*running away*

Posted by: Cassandra at September 30, 2005 02:41 PM

Uh oh. Archives really are forever, aren't they?

I was drunk. And young. And drunk.

Posted by: Hubris at September 30, 2005 02:56 PM

You *so* owe me that I didn't link :D

Not that I wasn't tempted, mind you. Hell hath no fury like a semi-bored woman on a Friday afternoon...

Posted by: Cassandra at September 30, 2005 03:44 PM

Ilyka rules...

How dare she become a man?

Posted by: Cassandra at September 30, 2005 03:46 PM

Did I mention I was young at the time? That was at least, like, several months ago.

I miss Ilyka's writing too.

Posted by: Hubris at September 30, 2005 10:13 PM

I'd go for Alex Kozinsky, or Janice Rodgers Brown.

Kozinsky would be interesting, and would probably catch the Dems flatfooted, because he's much more libertarian/individual rights oriented (I believe he wrote the 9th Circuit's opinion in Raich v. Ashcroft) than a classic conservative.

And Janice Rodgers Brown, while I have no doubt she would provoke a firestorm, given that's she's intimated that much, if not all, of the New Deal and Great Society are probably unconstitutional. But she a minority, and a woman, and she was in the group of judges that was part of the compromise deal, so if the Dem's turn around and claim that she's 'too extreme' then why wasn't she too extreme earlier this year?

Posted by: Heartless Libertarian at October 1, 2005 03:14 PM

Well darn. I was hoping the President was listening to Pile On, one of his Texas inside advisors.

Posted by: KJ at October 3, 2005 10:07 AM