« Conserva Babe Blogging | Main | "I Have Needs..." Caption Contest »

January 31, 2006

The Rest Of The Story

Please go and extend your condolences to Scott on the passing of his grandmother, Jessica Rachel McMaster: the woman who gave us Scrappleface (in more ways than one).

Reading about her, it becomes even more apparent why Scott is the kind of man he is.

I'm not very good at this sort of thing, but this seemed to fit:

Who can find a virtuous woman?
for her price is far above rubies.
The heart of her husband
doth safely trust in her,
so that he shall have no need of spoil.

Strength and honour are her clothing;
and she shall rejoice in time to come.
She openeth her mouth with wisdom;
and in her tongue is the law of kindness.
She looketh well to the ways of her household,
and eateth not the bread of idleness.
Her children arise up, and call her blessed

Please accept our deepest condolences, Scott.

Posted by Cassandra at January 31, 2006 06:05 PM

Comments

Been there, done that. Good of you to mention it.

Posted by: camojack [TypeKey Profile Page] at February 1, 2006 12:28 AM

I wish I could have written something special Camo, but unfortunately I couldn't find the words.

Posted by: Cassandra [TypeKey Profile Page] at February 1, 2006 07:47 AM

Cass,
I can't see where anyone could improve on that!~ It's so rich in it's sincerity and simplicity.

I have NO doubt that Scott wouldn't appreciate this, and probably find it perfect simply by your quoting from Proverbs 31, which certainly seems an apropos description of his Grandma Jessica.

It's what wasn't detailed in his story of their upbringing that leads me to believe his character building life began at a very young age. I think we were honored by his acquainting us with her, even after her passing.

Posted by: Rocky Mtn. Lioness [TypeKey Profile Page] at February 1, 2006 10:27 AM

They read that piece over my grandmother's grave too, many years ago now. I was young enough that I asked after 31:30: "But a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised."

"Why should anyone fear the Lord?" the young Grim asked -- for had we not been told that he loved all, and forgave all?

How well I've come to know the answer to that question, so sincerely asked as a child. "He kept his promise," says Scott of his grandfather -- and how might he have known, making it as a youth, how hard would be the keeping?

Posted by: Grim [TypeKey Profile Page] at February 1, 2006 02:29 PM

I remember being very moved by hearing an interview with Nancy Reagan (whom nobody liked) in which she spoke of caring for her husband.

I have never forgotten it. How heartbreaking it must be to watch the person you have loved all your life, there, but not really there? And still to be there for them every day, honoring the vows you took all those years ago?

"For better, for worse...".

I remember the day I was married. We were so very young. I have never been more sure of anything in my life, though I had no reason to be so optimistic. And yet you really don't know at the beginning, what lies ahead.

I do know that it is faith that pulls us through. Without faith in something larger than ourselves, we are nothing.

Posted by: Cassandra [TypeKey Profile Page] at February 1, 2006 03:34 PM

It is a fitting tribute. Scott is a gentleman worthy of the name. She is in a better place, healed and whole. And blessed be her husband, for he was like Joseph, the espoused husband of Mary, who birthed our Lord before they were married;
he who fostered our Savior.

Posted by: Crckt [TypeKey Profile Page] at February 2, 2006 09:50 AM