« The Voice Of History | Main | We Learn That Peter Angelos Is The Anti-Christ »

February 24, 2006

Peace Is A Fragile Commodity

And it takes so little to reopen the Cycle of Violence.

A trifle, really...

Actually, I thought I was remarkably restrained. I could have titled this post Men are simpleminded creatures.

But that would have been just rude.

Posted by Cassandra at February 24, 2006 07:42 PM

Comments

I fail to see why an appreciation for an athelete who has acheived the pinnacle of her sport would make a man...or anyone for that matter the subject of ridicule.

What I can't figure is why Tigerhawk didn't just post the picture rather than link to it?

Posted by: Pile On [TypeKey Profile Page] at February 24, 2006 08:57 PM

Darn - I remember when I was nearly that limber!!

Posted by: Wyoming96 [TypeKey Profile Page] at February 24, 2006 09:35 PM

TigerHawk is a subtle guy.

Posted by: TigerHawk [TypeKey Profile Page] at February 24, 2006 09:42 PM

Yeah, subtle was just the word that sprang to my mind, too.

Heck... I remember when I *was* that limber, Wyoming! And it wasn't that long ago. Strangely enough, that's what I was thinking when I saw that photo.

But not what I'll wager TH was thinking :)

Posted by: Cassandra [TypeKey Profile Page] at February 24, 2006 10:20 PM

The question, madam (oiselle?) is what makes your sexist mind think that your female attitudes and priorities are more valid, important, or relevant to anything in the universe than those of the male.

Just because males look at that picture and think different thoughts does not say one damned word about those thoughts being any less relevant, desirable, or important than those which enter your female mind.

They're simply different.

Frankly: Vive la différence!

;^P

Posted by: OBloodyHell [TypeKey Profile Page] at February 24, 2006 10:48 PM

okay, that limber comment has been the most interesting thing I've read all day

Posted by: MacStansbury [TypeKey Profile Page] at February 25, 2006 12:54 AM

[shaking head]

I would read too much into that one Mac. I doubt I would even have had that thought except that my neighbor down the street called and was trying to get me to join this new gym with her, but I was thinking I might rather take yoga classes at night instead (the source of my 'limber' comment). I was a gymnast in HS and was pretty good about doing yoga until this year, when I got too busy at work. And I don't look anything like that young lady in the photo - believe me. Wish I did. She was very lovely.

And OBH, did I say anything bad about what you guys were thinking???

Oh. Wait. I guess I did. Heh...

*running away*

Posted by: Cassandra [TypeKey Profile Page] at February 25, 2006 07:36 AM

Looks right painful to me...but then, to me, it would be.

Posted by: camojack [TypeKey Profile Page] at February 25, 2006 09:08 PM

But not what I'll wager TH was thinking :)

Uh, I think it is fairly obvious that I wasn't thinking at all.

Posted by: TigerHawk [TypeKey Profile Page] at February 25, 2006 09:47 PM

Well, my reaction when viewing the photo was, "ouch!"

But, as athletic as I was in my youth, I was NEVER that limber! :)

Posted by: JannyMae [TypeKey Profile Page] at February 26, 2006 01:08 PM

Oh gosh, I was - easily - when I was young. I used to be able to do Chinese splits, backbends, the whole nine yards. I could still do a lot of that stuff for years - I used to do walkovers and stuff when I was in the yard fooling around with the kids when they were teenagers, so I know I could still do it even fairly recently.

But I don't think I'd even try it now. I'd be scared to death! I know my back is still pretty limber from yoga last year, but I think (like most people) I've reached the age where discretion has become the better part of valor. I've never had my back go out and I never intend to if I can help it.

Posted by: Cassandra [TypeKey Profile Page] at February 26, 2006 01:34 PM

Well, Cass, I used to marvel at the girls that could do that kind of stuff. I excelled at every sport I ever tried, but I struggled with gymnastics, for that very reason...just not limber enough!

Having had my back go out on several occasions, rest assured, you, "do not want to go there!"

Posted by: JannyMae [TypeKey Profile Page] at February 26, 2006 01:42 PM

Ouch. And that was when I was working out. I still do stretching exercises to keep my knees and back from hurting, but gone are the days when I would have had the courage to even tackle learning to ice skate, let alone getting to that level of fitness.

There is a reason Darvon and Percocet exist.

Posted by: Crckt [TypeKey Profile Page] at February 27, 2006 09:30 AM

I once bent someone like that, however it was during a fight, and I dislocated their hip.

Long story, but my primary fighting style is take you down to the ground and break something so you can't fight anymore.

Posted by: JonTheMechanic [TypeKey Profile Page] at February 28, 2006 10:04 AM

Ouch.

I really torqued my left hip joint when I was sixteen doing Chinese splits - not an experience I would care to repeat. I still wince every time I think about it.

Posted by: Cassandra [TypeKey Profile Page] at February 28, 2006 10:14 AM