« DimWittery Alert: Don't Question My Patriotism Edition | Main | The More Things Change.... »

July 20, 2006

From the Desk of Pile

I find this to be very curious.

TEXAS CITY--Authorities ordered two apartment complexes evacuated and set off a small explosion inside a unit today in an attempt to remove a substance believed to have caused a fatal blast Wednesday.

In a news conference today, federal and local officials said they believe the substance was peroxide-based.

The explosion Wednesday at the Lakeview complex in the 8000 block of the Emmett F. Lowry Expressway killed a man officials identified as Matthew Rugo, 21.

A second man who survived the blast, Curtis Jetton, has been charged with making a false police report and is being held on $10,000 bond, according to Texas City Police Chief Robert Burby.

For those of you who don't know Texas City is a refinery town, so an explosion there could have an impact far beyond the blast site. Since bail is set at 10 thousand dollars I doubt these boys are big time but I have to wonder are they Islamo-facist sympathizers, eco-terrorist or future high school chemistry teachers?

Other News
A Saudi Cleric issues a fatwa against Hezbollah.

A leading Wahhabi cleric in Saudi Arabia has issued a scathing fatwa against Hezbollah — the latest in a series of condemnations from the usually supportive Arab world. Sheik Abdullah bin Jabreen declares it against Muslim Sharia law to support, join, or even pray for the terror group, writing, "Our advice to the Sunnis is to denounce them and shun those who join them to show their hostility to Islam and to the Muslims."

The New York Sun reports that the fatwa also condemns Iran for funding and supporting Hezbollah to further what Jabreen called its imperial ambitions.

Iran's imperial ambitions? I am guessing we have not heard the last of the comdemnations of Iranian imperialism.

Stay tuned....

Posted by Pile On® at July 20, 2006 10:05 PM

Comments

Well, shazzam! Now that's what I'm talking about! Someone in the Muslim world finally had the big brass ones to publicly criticize the jihadis!

Posted by: a former european at July 20, 2006 11:37 PM

You missed one Pile:

It has been all over the news. 24/7 on every channel and even Bill Keller wrote about it. Blitzer even made a special apology on CNN.

NOT!

You won't hear one damn word of it. Fox is the only place I've even seen it.

Posted by: JustADad at July 21, 2006 01:38 AM

Regarding the first post, it could very well have been a meth lab. One never knows. There was also some guys at my university making fireworks in their apartment years ago. They were kind of careless about it and the bomb squad almost decided that it would be cheaper to blow the building up then to try to clean the stuff up.

I doubt it was terrorism related.

Posted by: Gambit at July 21, 2006 10:29 AM

Hey, it's a Sunni-Shia, Arab-Persian thing.

Those Sunni Wahabists just want to get their digs in. If the shoe were on the other foot (or the otter was on your other heiny, whatever!), meaning that if Sunni Muslims were being shot at by the Israelis, you can bet the fatwa would be on them Jooooss!
Don't hold your breath waiting for a fatwa on those mudering scum that keep blowing up Iraqi civilians, 'cause most of them are Sunnis.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at July 21, 2006 10:29 AM

Regarding the first story, I have learned a bit more. It appears that it is just a couple of dumb kids with just enough education to be dangerous. It go boom.

True Don, but what if a Shia cleric issued a fatwa? Now that would be something......

Posted by: Pile On® at July 21, 2006 11:05 AM

Re: first story......the word here in Galveston County is that it was a homemede substance "similar" to TATP (maybe even TATP) that the youths were going to play with.The parents must be SO proud.Matthew finally got interested in Science.Sheesh.

Posted by: WildBlueYonder at July 21, 2006 11:42 AM

DYNO-MITE!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: J.J. Walker at July 21, 2006 12:42 PM

Boys will be boys.

Posted by: unkawill at July 21, 2006 03:37 PM

I'm speaking as someone that has known Matt since 2nd grade. He was a quiet but smart kid even if some thought not because he never really applied himself to things that did not interest him at school.

When he found something he liked, he would dedicate himself to it with a true passion. I've seen it in our High School phsyics and chemistry classes. He wasn't very interested in passive things he did not see a result with, and always was one to explore the things for himself instead of just listening to what it would do.

He had a special interest in explosives and firearms, as many guys do at the age. The only thing is he was a little more active in his interest. I have no doubt he enjoyed just seeing what he could accomplish with them and knowing that he had the knowledge and ability for them. If it wasn't for this accident, I bet he could have truelly been a great pyrotechnician someday or something of the sorts.

I'm not condoning what Matt did, but I just want to clear up any question on his intent. Matt was not a violent person and there really isn't a doubt in my mind that he meant any harm to anybody or anything. I'm sure the most he would have done with any of his materials was take them out to some pasture or somewhere and see what he could do with them. They where basically his toys, though dangerous as they where. He had no more intent with his actions then someone with a bottlerocket aimed at an object in a junk heap.

Matt was a good kid, though a bit misguided at times and had made a few wrong decisions. I find it important to see humor in life and death, and I must say the one thing about all this that'll stick in my mind, as well as my friends, is that when we first heard the report about what happened, all we could think of is "Damn, that sounds just like something Matt would do."

Rest in Peace Matt. The one true regret I have about this is that I can't tell you all the stir you made after the fact... with the FBI and news reporters and helicopters going crazy. You would have truelly loved it, and thought it an extremely befitting end.

Posted by: Matt's Friend - B D at July 22, 2006 04:29 AM

Thank you for clearing that up BD.

Posted by: Pile On® at July 22, 2006 12:52 PM

Fist in mouth.

Posted by: spd rdr at July 22, 2006 04:19 PM

Regardless of the truth of the matter - and I have no iron in that fire - Texas City has reason to have a memory.

We WMD response types go to school, literally, on Texas City.

Posted by: John of Argghhh! at July 22, 2006 04:56 PM

hello i am curtis jetton and all i have to say is that matt was not a terrorist as everyone would like to belive he was a kind and gentle person to young to die in the manner that he did and all i can ask is that you don't pray for me but pray for his family.

curtis lee jetton