« Heh... | Main | Read Me A Story Game »

July 26, 2006

KerryWatch: Defending America From The Feral ChickenHawk

salute.jpg Poor John Kerry. Once again, cruel fate has robbed the Accidental Candidate of his Appointment with Destiny. Yet each day we find the dashing Senator on the front pages of our morning newspapers, bravely Reporting For Duty. How does he find the courage?

"If I was president, this wouldn't have happened," said Kerry during a noon stop at Honest John's bar and grill in Detroit's Cass Corridor. Bush has been so concentrated on the war in Iraq that other Middle East tension arose as a result, he said.
Many Americans are saying to themselves, "Tension in the MiddleEast? Well that certainly came out of left field. JUST HOW DOES THIS SORT OF MONUMENTAL SCREW-UP HAPPEN, ANYWAY?" The dashing junior Senator from Massachusetts has the answers, though they don’t make for pleasant hearing:
"The president has been so absent on diplomacy [that's spelled "AWOL" for you swing voters] when it comes to issues affecting the Middle East," Kerry said. "We're going to have a lot of ground to make up (in 2008) because of it."

And Diplomacy with a capital "D" is just what the Kerry team brings to the table because, unlike the present administration, Senator Kerry has a Plan to correct the mistakes made by Republican and Democrat Presidents over the past fifty years.

Let's take a trip in the wayback machine to see what went wrong.

It all started back in 1948, when then two-year-old President George W. Bush was caught napping. Though it's possible to argue his half-formed administration was still a bit wet behind the ears, Dubya's refusal to embrace multilateral solutions left the newly partitioned Palestinian territory vulnerable to pan-Arab invasion. This is exactly the kind of miserable failure Kerry had been predicting.

Though foreign policy experts rightly lay the ensuing Arab-Israeli War at the door of an overconfident and inexperienced Bush White House, only the unsophisticated would dare characterize the Arab invasion of Israel as an unsanctioned defiance of international law. A more nuanced interpretation (and one Kerry himself subscribes to) recognizes the righteous rage of an ancient and disenfranchised indigenous people. To those who are tuned in to this type of thing, anger is the poetry of the Arab street. It fairly pulses with social energy, and we'd better listen to it because it is important.

John Kerry knows how to listen, to establish a rapport with the enemy no matter how distasteful that may seem. He knows that in order to sup with the Devil, you need a long spoon. And he has the track record to prove it.

In the early 1970s, while still in the pay of the United States Naval Reserve, then-Lieutenant John Kerry undertook the arduous journey to Paris and met with representatives of North Vietnam. Technically, of course, we were still at war with the Viet Cong, but to a man of vision destiny overrode such quotidian concerns. With typical modesty, Kerry downplays his historic achievement:

"I have been to Paris," Kerry said. "I have talked with both delegations at the peace talks, that is to say the Democratic Republic of Vietnam and the Provisional Revolutionary Government and of all eight of Madam Binh's points . . . ."

The latter was a reference to a communist group based in South Vietnam. Historian Stanley Karnow, author of "Vietnam: A History," described the Provisional Revolutionary Government as "an arm of the North Vietnamese government." Madam Nguyen Thi Binh was a leader of the group and had a list of peace-talk points, including the suggestion that US prisoners of war would be released when American forces withdrew.

Upon his return, the dashing war hero was viciously attacked by rabid chickenhawks who questioned his patriotism, but undeterred, he bravely fought for peace.

kerrylist.jpg Kerry has a record of proven leadership, of reaching out to friendly nations. During the Vietnam War, when the North Vietnamese were pioneering the art of humane treatment of POWs, Kerry (a decorated war hero who served 3 1/2 months of a one year hitch in 'Nam, unlike these bitter partisan hacks) had the courage to stand up to lying liars like Jeremiah Denton and Mike Benge who would have you believe the Viet Cong mistreated their prisoners. His word is his bond, and his record is a record of integrity - a record the American people can trust.

November 12 - 15, 1971 -- the VVAW leadership meets in Kansas City. Fearing surveillance by authorities, the group relocates the meeting to another building. They debate, then vote down a plan to assassinate several pro-war U.S. Senators. Despite John Kerry's claim to have left the VVAW before this event, several witnesses, meeting minutes and FBI records eventually place Kerry at the Kansas City meeting.

November 15, 1971 -- After trying unsuccessfully to have Al Hubbard removed from the group's leadership, John Kerry resigns from the Executive Committee of the VVAW for personal reasons. Kerry will continue to represent the organization in interviews and public appearances for several months.

Character is what makes or breaks a man, and America needs a man of character to represent her during these dark days. The cruel irony of it all is that the inexplicable partisanship of the mainstream media has robbed the dashing Senator of the credit that he so richly deserves.

When will patriotic Americans finally learn the full tale of John Kerry's lonely fight for truth, justice, and the American way?

Truly, we do not know.

We really don't.

Honestly.

Coda: This is a snarky post, but I do have one serious thing to say. There are a lot of links in this post.

If you don't click on anything else, consider clicking on these two. One of them regular readers will have seen many times before, but new readers may not have.

The Jeremiah Denton story

30 Years After the Fall of Saigon

If you have a quiet moment today say a prayer for Vietnam. Someone should remember her and the men and women who died, and were hurt so badly, trying to set her free. This is a thing I can't joke about.

Posted by Cassandra at July 26, 2006 07:10 AM

Comments

"say a prayer for Vietnam"

And for the hundreds of thousands of boat people. And those sent to "reeducation" camps. Or just killed by the new government

Posted by: Ken Summers at July 26, 2006 10:31 AM

I didn't get to read "Unfit For Command" until recently, long story. Anyhoo, after reading that I am disgusted that Kerry was chosen by the DNC. Anyone who is Commie-compassionate should be exiled.

p.s. Please, no more of the "if I were president", I can't handle it anymore.

Posted by: Stacy at July 26, 2006 12:06 PM

Your link to Jeremiah Denton also reminded me of Admiral James Stockdale, who was also a high-ranking Naval aviator, who spent years at the hands of the North Vietnamese, who, despite that ignorant twit Georgie Anne Geyer's assertions, did not conform to any of the Geneva Conventions.
Admiral Stockdale was rendered partially deaf by his treatment at the hands of the NVA. His later appearances as Ross Perot's running mate brought general mirth as he appeared a little confused due to the problems with his hearing aid at the Vice-presidential debate in 1992.
James Stockdale recently passed away, and the news announcement on the local radio here in Columbus brought back that account (1992) and the ensuing dismissive attitude ("what a doofus!"), rather than his heroic resistance to years of torment and torture at the hands of the NVA.
This is how American popular culture will remember Jeremiah Denton and James Stockdale, among others. They will be largely dismissed. The sub-human morons who transmit popular culture on radio and television don't want to be bothered by anything as troubling as the fate of millions of Asian-people murdered after we bugged out of Viet Nam. Likewise, they can't be bothered by the findings of mass graves created under Saddam Hussein in Iraq. And they don't care about the fate of Iraqis after we leave, or the ongoing horrors in Darfur, in the Sudan. I know, because that is what my 24-year old nephew told me. He don't care. Period.
They are more interested in the great strength of strongness promulgated by Mr. Kerry, and soon now, Mrs. Clinton, the junior Senator from the great state of New York.
All to be sent down the memory hole.

"Time marches on!"

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at July 26, 2006 12:06 PM

Don:
Your observations are not without merit. But, your cynicism about our culture has an aire of despair about it. Rather than thinking about the comments of your 24 year old nephew as a template for our culture, how about marveling at the men and women of honor, many younger that 24, who are laying their lives on the line in Iraq and around the world in the service of our great nation. Now THAT is a template!

Be encouraged by people like Cassandra and others (i.e.,Swift Boat Vets) who valiantly fight the good fight and are the voices of reason and truth in this politicized country.
Without people like this, JFK (the man who would be king) would have been elected prez (there IS a God).

Thanks, Cass, for an informative read. I'll be passing it on to my kids so they too will be educated (and can educate others as required).
--Ziobuck, a patriot

Posted by: ziobuck at July 26, 2006 12:47 PM

I realize that I tend to repeat myself - a lot - on the subject of John Kerry, and I'm sorry.

But I do it for a reason. I do because he constantly shoves his mug in front of the camera. Somehow, though he only served 3 months of his tour in Viet Nam, he was managed to become America's iconic symbol of the war hero. Nevermind Jeremiah Denton, who was also a US Senator from Alabama and spent 7 fricking years in a Viet Cong POW camp.

And don't you dare mention Bud Day, unless you also hiss after his name "that disgraceful Swift Vet". It's all I can do to choke back my anger when I hear people who aren't fit to wipe the arses of these gentlemen use the term "Swift boating".

They have no idea.

Posted by: Cassandra at July 26, 2006 12:54 PM

ziobuck, I think we all just get angry sometimes.

Kids just have no idea, many of them. And it scares me. Many, many adults have no idea. And sometimes, ignorance kills.

Anyway, I need to lighten up :) Sorry. I am grateful for what we have - I really am.

Posted by: Cassandra at July 26, 2006 12:57 PM

Cass:
Your comment about JFK's mug in front of the camera all the time struck a chord. I was in the BX (for you non-military types, it is the Base Exchange--a military Walmart) yesterday.

As I meandered by the "book" department under the banner of "politics" ...right before my beady little eyes...was... the face... of...someone whose picture I use to target in the urinals of my work place!?#! Yes! It was none other than "My Life So Far", Hanoi Jane Fonda. Her picture was a psychic mugging! I noticed she was nuzzled in amongst 60-70% of liberal leaning "political" books, including one called "The Case for Impeachment" (of GW). Mind you, Cass, this was at a military BX (read: generally conservative values/idealogy).

After I counted to 911 (and calmed down), I ripped the BX "tone-deaf" book purchaser (for making me an "unhappy" shopper) using a customer comment card (OK, it may end up in the circular file...but I felt better).

There appears to be NO sanctuary from Liberalism, but perhaps a foxhole.
--Ziobuck eating a little cheese with his whine

Posted by: ziobuck at July 26, 2006 03:50 PM

Ziobuck,
I frequently have an 'aire of despair', but then, manically bouncing back to my usual blithering idiocy. :)

Cass,
Mentioning the fact that Jeremiah Denton was a one-term U.S. Senator also reminds me of a Slate article I read several years ago, describing him as a 'crank'. 'Course, they wouldn't call John McCain a crank, would they? Except when they discover that he actually IS a Republican and that SOMETIMES he actually AGREES with GWB (the Shrub).

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at July 26, 2006 04:35 PM

Well, don't feel bad. John Kerry repeats himself, too. Endlessly. So why not you?

I have begun to think that John Kerry is not really very bright, and is not a quick thinker. It was a full year before he came up with some arguments to respond to his critics, and now he's still pouting that he wasn't crowned in 2004. He is so very dullwitted. Can you imagine being in "Honest John's Bar and Grill" and saying something that would make it to the papers? The man has a tin ear! He should watch his photo ops, he should mentally typeset the quotes in his head before appearing in print from a bar, which just makes him sound like he got tanked up and started spouting. Crikey, Dude! Get a clue!

Posted by: MathMom at July 26, 2006 06:25 PM

I can't stand this.John EFFEN Kerry knows full well that Iraq and Hezballa are all part of the same war.He pretends that there seperate,but unless he's real stupid--Wait a minute Ive just answered my own question.

Posted by: jainphx at July 26, 2006 09:25 PM

jainphx, He also (apparently) believes we need to destroy Hezbollah because Bush paid too much attention to Iraq instead of the Middle East, and we wouldn't have to destroy Hezbollah if he were President.

Or something like that. It's hard to follow without a scorecard.

Posted by: Ken S, Fifth String on the Banjo of Life at July 26, 2006 09:41 PM

The Democrats unashamedly know what to do in any given situation involving Foreign Policy!!!

AS LONG AS IT IS 20/20 HINDSIGHT!

How many war fronts do the terrorists have to establish before Kerry realizes that we are at war with them? I wonder how he will explain away the Hizbollah forces who were shooting at the Israelis from the U.N. observation post?

This guy lives in his own delusional world. He is, therefore, a good leader for the rest of the delusional left.

Posted by: vet66 at July 27, 2006 11:29 AM

Kerry isn't worth the time. He's about himself, always has been, always will be. If you wanted to hold the man up for ridicule, you'd have him act like he does. After all, he's on every side of every issue and you can find the quotes to prove it.

Thank you for pointing out his unending hypocrisy, now can we move on?

Posted by: MarkD at July 29, 2006 09:52 AM

Could you tell me how I can send a copy of the article to my children and some friends.

I copied it, tried to file it in my deskdop and send it as an attachment to them but it did not work.

Thanks for the kindnes of publishing such an article.
Rear Adm Jeremiah Denton USN (Retired)

Posted by: Jeremiah Denton at April 7, 2007 07:46 PM

It's on its way to you, sir. I am humbled and grateful that you took the time to read my post.

Happy Easter.