« Thankfully, The Octopus Was Unhurt... | Main | The Saddest Thing About All Of This »

August 10, 2006

Fascism Alert!

While Congress was we were sleeping, the jack-booted Bush and Blair governments continued their relentless drive to crush what is left of our rapidly-vanishing freedoms:

British authorities said today they had disrupted a "major terrorist plot" to blow up passenger flights between the United Kingdom and the United States, prompting a full-scale security clampdown at U.S. and British airports and a cascade of delays in trans-Atlantic flights.

London's Deputy Police Commissioner, Paul Stephenson, said 21 people had been arrested in London and in Birmingham, England, after a months-long investigation into what he said was a plan for "mass murder on an unimaginable scale." Peter Clarke, chief of the London police department's anti-terrorism branch, said the investigation reached a "critical point" last night, requiring immediate disruption of the plot, the arrests and the imposition of heightened security measures.

"Had this plot been carried out, the loss of life to innocent civilians would have been on an unprecedented scale, British Home Secretary John Reid said.

Well, technically they would have been dead, yes. But at least they would have died knowing their right to Speak Truth to Power via highly explosive liquids had not been ruthlessly supressed by a rigidly controlling militaristic power structure bent on world domination.

Note the convenient use of 'scare tactics' by the Blair government. No doubt both the Bush and Blair administrations will use this "incident" as a flimsy excuse to further invade our privacy, all in the name of "saving lives":

Passengers at all airports in the United States were told to expect intensified searches, considerable delays and new restrictions on carry-on items. The Transportation Security Administration announced that passengers on all U.S. flights, domestic and international, would be banned from transporting any type of liquid or gel in their carry-on luggage . The ban applies to all types of beverages, shampoo, toothpaste, hair gels and other items of a similar consistency, the TSA announced.

It's time to move to France, where we will be safe from the real enemy: a Bible-thumping, finger-pointing, tongue-lashing authoritarian government that is hell-bent on destroying everything we hold dear.

Others keeping an eye on the fascists: here, here, and here

Update:

Today's moment of zen:

This is all we have to look forward to, sheeples. Bend over and kiss your tuckus goodbye:

Helen40000.gif

Found via Linda, with some alterations. She doesn't know who did the original. There was no attribution in her source.

Update 40,000: Thanks to Lil' Miss Attila for catching the typo in the title to my post (although for a snarky post, I'm not sure 'face-ism' isn't funnier). There was a time when I could spell. Sadly, I can't type. Or, apparently, see too well. Or check my own work.

Posted by Cassandra at August 10, 2006 07:59 AM

Comments

Ye Gods! Godzilla was better-looking...

Posted by: camojack at August 10, 2006 08:49 AM

This is huge. UK authorities are looking for at least 30 more people.
Scary though... I thought about what an exterminator once said..if you see one bug, there's thousands more that you haven't seen.

On the other hand, I'm thankful that there's only one Helen Thomas.

Posted by: Carrie at August 10, 2006 08:51 AM

I know. It struck me, this morning, that just a few weeks ago the MSM meme was that Hezbollah was the "new threat" and al Qaeda was dead, dead, dead (but no credit for that happening, mind you). You can't have it both ways, but that never seems to stop them from trying.

So much for that theory, huh? They will say anything to make the administration look bad and undermine the WOT. It just really frosts me. Talk about your shifting goalposts.

Posted by: Princess Leia in a Cheese Danish Bikini at August 10, 2006 08:56 AM

And a check around the blogosphere confirms something I suspected all along..
It was all Bush's fault and the timing is just too suspicious. I smell a Rove.

Some days, I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Posted by: Carrie at August 10, 2006 09:25 AM

On the other hand, I'm thankful that there's only one Helen Thomas.

But how do we *know* that, Carrie?

This is what scares me. The Enemy could be cloning her, even as we speak...err... type. It's that sort of thing that keeps me awake at night.

The horror!

Posted by: Princess Leia in a Cheese Danish Bikini at August 10, 2006 09:43 AM

"The Enemy could be cloning her, even as we speak...err... type. It's that sort of thing that keeps me awake at night."

-sob-

mama....

Posted by: Carrie at August 10, 2006 09:54 AM

What is it your elitist snob Communist homosexuals hate about ordinary people who work for a living?

And oh yes--how big was your celebration on Sept. 11?

Posted by: Elitism Fighter at August 10, 2006 10:24 AM

Ummm..?
Wha????

Posted by: Carrie at August 10, 2006 10:31 AM

Now we are talking with a tone I can really appreciate! I am building a Temple to All the Gods of War. It is fairly obvious we need one. A revival of warrior culture would be good for the sheep-like girly-men who are our elected officials and (gag) diplomats. American street fighters are already fierce. With the right attitude, we could make the world tremble as it properly should.

Posted by: OdinsAcolyte at August 10, 2006 10:49 AM

EF, sadly I was unable to celebrate properly on 9/11 as my husband was inside the Pentagon. The fascists he works for refused to let him come home - can you believe it??? The poor man was on duty that night, and pretty much every day for the next few weeks.

So, no party. I think you need to work on your sarcasm meter.

Posted by: Princess Leia in a Cheese Danish Bikini at August 10, 2006 10:55 AM

OA, on the otter heiny, appears to have a properly functioning sarcasm meter but to have missed the point entirely.

Posted by: Princess Leia in a Cheese Danish Bikini at August 10, 2006 10:57 AM

No time for a party on 9/11 for me.
I was living in Egypt and darned that time change thingy.
Se we had a gathering on 9/12. We were stuck inside our Embassy apartment building, scared, worried but what we weren't was alone. And that was key.
By about 4:00 pm, there were about 50 of us collectively flipping Osama bin Laden the bird.
And just so you don't confuse me with a State dept. type, my husband wears a Marine uniform and currently works at the Pentagon.

Please don't tell him that he's only a cover for my lesbian lifestyle, okay?

Posted by: Carrie at August 10, 2006 11:00 AM

Oooh Oooh Can I be an American street fighter too??
Think of the shopping potential...although I don't look good in camoflouge. I'm thinking a dark blue or green but not olive drab.

Posted by: Carrie at August 10, 2006 11:03 AM

Oh carp. You picked a fine time to tell me about your non-alternative lifestyle, Missy.

Looks like I won't be driving down to have that glass of wine with you after all.

Posted by: Princess Leia in a Cheese Danish Bikini at August 10, 2006 11:14 AM

Yes, it is a fiendish plot designed to turn us into non bathing fur-on-the-teeth sheeple. This further enriches the monopoly that Shrubya has on personal care products. Create a crisis and then profit from it.

Posted by: Cricket at August 10, 2006 11:18 AM

My personal theory is that the terrorists want to strike fear into the hearts of all decent-thinking human beings by forcing the Facist Booooooooosh administration to confiscate our carryon luggage.

Thus deprived of our precious health and beauty products, we will all eventually come to resemble Helen Thomas. As Mark so preciently observed on another thread, some horrors are not worth surviving.

Posted by: Princess Leia in a Cheese Danish Bikini at August 10, 2006 11:22 AM

Damn him. The Shrub stole the letter "s" from my previous comment.

That should have been "presciently". The terrorists have won. In light of this, I think we must surrender in Iraq.

Posted by: Princess Leia in a Cheese Danish Bikini at August 10, 2006 11:24 AM

BUT I SHAVED!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Carrie at August 10, 2006 11:25 AM

Carrie writes: "I smell a Rove."

Good thing you didn't step in it!

Posted by: Cricket at August 10, 2006 11:30 AM

"Good thing you didn't step in it!"

Yep but I think elitism fighter did.

Posted by: Carrie at August 10, 2006 11:35 AM

So that is how the terrorists are going to multiply Helen Thomas without cloning her. Gee, without moisturizer and personal care products, I should look like her in about, oh, say, a week, and smell like Rove in two days.

Carrie, looks like you are married to a real man.

Posted by: Cricket at August 10, 2006 11:35 AM

BUT I SHAVED!!!!!!!!!

...and then she spit out her coffee.

I will get you for that, woman :)

Posted by: Princess Leia in a Cheese Danish Bikini at August 10, 2006 11:40 AM

"Carrie, looks like you are married to a real man"

I got no complaints...

I'm thinking of running to Bath and Bodyworks..
I could make a mint standing outside Dulles' arrival gates hawking scented lotions and sprays.

Karl recommended it to me and I only have to give him 50%.

Posted by: Carrie at August 10, 2006 11:44 AM

Flipping channels, I see "NBC reporting that the possible goal of the terrorist plot was to hit on 9/11."

That's chilling. I guess it all is, regardless of the date, but for some reaon, that's chilling.

I am going to have a houseguest (one of my buddies from the embassy in Cairo) and she's flying in on the 10th.

Posted by: Carrie at August 10, 2006 12:09 PM

Ohhh. Carrie, I am going to bid on the Georgia Phranchise of the Helen Thomas cosmetic line boutique. There are going to be 3 hour delays today...heard it on the radio as I was driving home this morning. I didn't hear all the news, so while I assumed it had something to do with either something like this or a story out of the ME, I was
not prepared for the story when I saw it online.

You and your friend stay safe...

Posted by: Cricket at August 10, 2006 12:23 PM

Cricket,
Already hooked you up for that. Just don't forget to give the devil..I mean Karl his due. Cassandra gets BWI although Helen really wanted it so she may have to mudwrestle her for it.

I was not ready for the story either. It's that randomness that makes terrorism effective. Thank God for the British intel services. Seriously.

I have to smile about my friend being safe (but thanks, I want her to stay safe too). She works in an American embassy in Turkey but the reason why she's flying home is so that she can be trained, etc., to spend a year in the Green Zone.
Karl gave her the Clairol home hair color franchise.

Posted by: Carrie at August 10, 2006 12:41 PM

And just what do you think they're doing with all that hairpray and toothpaste that are being removed for all those bags?

Throwing it away? Please.

They'll be selling it off the back of a Halliburton truck by the morning. All Profit Babyyyyyy

Posted by: Masked Menace at August 10, 2006 12:51 PM

It wasn't just the randomness of it...it was the scale. I don't get these people. We have a 9-11 commission howling because 'nothing' was allegedly done, and now that Scotland Yard has connected the dots (I keep all the investigative agencies in the world who are tracking these perps in my prayers)
it was the scope, the scale the audacity of it all.

And now that there is hard evidence out there of this happening, these same whiners are clutching at the chains that bind them because of the security measures put in place as a result.

Tell the dev, uh, Karl that I will pony up the 50%, but only if I get to run my fingers through his bald spot.

Posted by: Cricket at August 10, 2006 12:53 PM

They'll be selling it off the back of a Halliburton truck by the morning...

Well, duh.

What else do you expect from the rent seeking, money grubbing, Chinese toy loving minions of the richest one percent?

Bastards.

Posted by: Princess Leia in a Cheese Danish Bikini at August 10, 2006 12:56 PM

Aye chihuahua.

Posted by: Princess Leia in a Cheese Danish Bikini at August 10, 2006 12:58 PM

I can already visualize the prize: the right to bear John Dean's illegitimate love children.

Yee ha.

Posted by: Princess Leia in a Cheese Danish Bikini at August 10, 2006 12:59 PM

"And I'm only mud wrestling Helen if she wears that incredibly hot outfit from the photo up top."

Just the thought of her in that outfit has me curled up in the fetal position and sucking my thumb in sheer terror. And I threw up a little in my mouth.

Posted by: Carrie at August 10, 2006 01:11 PM

You know, its kind of bizarre how a bit of 'inconvenience' in our lives throws it in such disarray. Granted, I don't fly as much, so I'm not as affected by all of this, however when you're told that someone wants to use planes to blow you up... a few extra hours in the day and having to leave my water-bottles and toothpaste behind is worth my life. Some could argue its the little things that make it bearable, but I can adjust.

Not like they're asking for fingers and eyes or anything, like some morbid horror movie. Because I need my fingers to type and my eyes to... um... read.

Posted by: Kevin L at August 10, 2006 01:12 PM

I thought you were Lebanese?

Posted by: Princess Leia in a Cheese Danish Bikini at August 10, 2006 01:12 PM

Not me Kevin. They can have my L'Oreal Lush and Lascivious Mascara over my cold, dead body.

Heh.

Posted by: Princess Leia in a Cheese Danish Bikini at August 10, 2006 01:14 PM

Cricket,
I agree with what you said and would add just one more thing.
The absolute, visceral hatred required to do something like that.

Posted by: Carrie at August 10, 2006 01:38 PM

They will be taking the toothpaste and hairspray to Gitmo for the genital mocking lap dancers to use.
After spending some time in interrogation.

Posted by: Cricket at August 10, 2006 01:57 PM

You notice Carrie still has not denied being Lebanese.

I smell a coverup.

Posted by: Princess Leia in a Cheese Danish Bikini at August 10, 2006 02:19 PM

On further thought, I would like to retroactively condemn that last comment.

It was insensitive. Stop the hate.

Posted by: Princess Leia in a Cheese Danish Bikini at August 10, 2006 02:20 PM

Granted, I don't fly as much, so I'm not as affected by all of this, however when you're told that someone wants to use planes to blow you up....

And look how Kevin is suddenly coming over all innocent. I think someone needs to call TSA with a hot tip. How do we know he's not in league with the terrorists? That is *precisely* the kind of thing a terrorist would say.

Posted by: Princess Leia in a Cheese Danish Bikini at August 10, 2006 02:23 PM

"What officer?... Fly? Me... Never! Hah! Um... what kind of Visa do I have you ask? I'm a student. Yes. Why am I in the wrong state? Well... you see... the bus there... it just took me where it wanted to go. I had no control of... No sir. This is just water."

Posted by: Kevin L at August 10, 2006 02:28 PM

VISA? VISA???

Well now that's your problem buddy.

You should have used MasterCard.

Posted by: Princess Leia in a Cheese Danish Bikini at August 10, 2006 02:34 PM

Crap. My mistake... I would have gotten some sort of cash back reward I'm sure. Now... I'll only get 20 of my promised um... cash back rewards... in heaven. How am I going to explain this one to my family?

Posted by: Kevin L at August 10, 2006 02:45 PM

Me? Lebanese? La! I mean..No!!

Although I could eat Lebanese food fulltime and not be bored. Well, except for the occaional Bacon cheeseburger.

Posted by: Carrie at August 10, 2006 02:52 PM

You should have thought of that before you *had* a family.

You must be one of those odious Red Staters. You and your ludicrous hate-filled family values - fie upon you, sir.

Posted by: Princess Leia in a Cheese Danish Bikini at August 10, 2006 02:55 PM

Really, Cass. You're being intolerant again.
I mean..so what if Kevin's last name is
al Kaboomi?
And so what if he's traveling around here on a expired visa and so what if the ilquid in that water bottle isn't really water but some kind of explosive.

Your intolerance is what makes him do that. If you'd only apologize for centuries of colonialism and the West's insensitivity to his culture.
Just apologize and put on the damned burka.
Oh..and throw out that lipstick!! And the high heels! And the bacon!!

For the love of Allah!!
Please to be telling me which is to Mecca?

Posted by: Carrie at August 10, 2006 03:01 PM

It appears that the arrests were made after months of gathering intelligence on the suspects, which raises an important question: is the New York Times doing enough to protect our civil liberties? I had hoped that the exposé of Bush's illegal and immoral spy programs would have prevented fascist assaults on innocent Muslims like we witnessed yesterday, but apparently he and Blair were somehow able to slip through the cracks.

At any rate, I'm going to seriously re-evaluate my subscription to the Old Grey Lady.

Posted by: Liberal Larry at August 10, 2006 04:08 PM

The al Kaboomi family is an honorable state of red family!

Look! You made little Jihadi Kev cry with your insensitive carping family values. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Posted by: Kevin L at August 10, 2006 04:24 PM

Once again the Professym has put the pointy finger of Truth on the problem. Congress obviously has not voted enough in the way of appropriations funding to the 4th branch of government so they can protect us from the other three branches the way the Founders intended for them to.

If you're not outraged then you're not paying attention, damnitall.

Posted by: Princess Leia in a Cheese Danish Bikini at August 10, 2006 04:38 PM

Look buddy... if you had a single shred of decency in you, you'd have allowed little Jihadi Kev's zygotes to be harvested for something useful... like, say, stem cell research, instead of allowing him to mature into just another overbearing miniature member of the Patriarchy.

He wouldn't be *crying* then, would he?

[dusting off hands]

You people amaze me sometimes.

Posted by: Princess Leia in a Cheese Danish Bikini at August 10, 2006 04:53 PM

Overbearing... overbearing...?! Little Jihadi Kev's only about... what do you say. 3 1/2 feet tall? We haven't even had him fitted yet. How can he be overbearing for anybody. Except when he's being whiney and insists on being carried everywhere. We have to explain to him that that's not how good martyrs... um... to the democratic society... act. Unless you're entitled to it, of course.

Don't you try changing the subject by bringing up charged words like 'Stem'... and 'Cell' and 'Research'. Smacks of controversy.

Posted by: Kevin L at August 10, 2006 05:02 PM

This whole thing in the UK is just an evil Rovian plot to make Joe Lieberman look good! Oh, yah, and make more money for Halliburton.

Seriously, this is baad timing for the Defeat-ocrats.

Posted by: Publius Hamilton at August 10, 2006 08:06 PM

I don't look good in camoflouge.
Posted by: Carrie at August 10, 2006 11:03 AM

I'll be the judge of that!!!

Posted by: camojack at August 11, 2006 05:07 AM

Who ever did that either plays or knows somebody who play the minatures game Warhammer 40,000

"In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only WAR!"

Ko'vash Tau'va

Heh.

Posted by: Eric Blair at August 11, 2006 11:31 AM

Bwa ha ha ha ha!!!! You have no idea how long I've been waiting for someone to pick up on that reference.

I didn't create the graphic Eric, but I added the quote. 'Ere we go, 'ere we go, 'ere we go!

Heh.

Posted by: Princess Leia in a Cheese Danish Bikini at August 11, 2006 12:22 PM

The sales guys in my office think I'm completely nuts.

One of the pranks I pulled on them once was to replace the screen saver on their PCs with the Warhammer 40,000 screensaver, but with Hello Kitty on it.

"In the grim future of Hello Kitty, there will be only war..."

Posted by: Princess Leia in a Cheese Danish Bikini at August 11, 2006 12:25 PM

Can we turn this into a caption contest? I will start first:

"Avon Calling..."

"Helen Thomas in her new role as a Mary Kay Commando Pink Lady."

Posted by: Cricket at August 13, 2006 01:53 PM

I'm sorry I haven't posted today.

My daughter in law is moving in next weekend and this is the only time I have to get her room ready. Too busy.

Posted by: Princess Leia in a Cheese Danish Bikini at August 13, 2006 02:13 PM