« Incroyable | Main | Heh... »

August 30, 2006

The DNC's Mighty Wind

Dana Milbanks once again scores VC's Coffee Snorter of the Day. Describing Senator Chuck (Chuckie) Schumer's seemingly inexplicable confidence that his party will sweep this Fall's elections, even in states such as Arizona where my man Jon Kyl leads his opponent by 18 percentage points in the last poll or Virginia, where not a single poll has James Webb ahead of George Allen, Milbanks quipped:

To judge from Schumer's presentation, the Democrats will achieve this extraordinary triumph by employing an extended series of mixed metaphors. Schumer himself may have set a record in that department yesterday as he painted the electoral landscape:

"This administration is shrugging its shoulders. . . . It's like 'The Wizard of Oz' -- it showed the man behind the screen. . . . You know which way the winds are blowing. . . . There have been very few bumps in the road. . . . The wind continues to stay at our backs. . . . The idea that there should be no check and balance, no congressional oversight, just isn't flying. They want to try to bring back the 2004 playbook. . . . They're trying to find a new rabbit to pull out of the hat, but so far they've gone back to the old chestnuts."

Chestnuts? In the same hat with rabbits? With the wind at their back on a bumpy road?

Personally, we like to think of Senator Schumer as the wind beneath our wings. Just keep on talking, Senator.

It's an ill wind that blows no one any good.

Posted by Cassandra at August 30, 2006 01:57 PM

Comments

That puts me in mind of an old Irish saying: May the wind at your back always be your own. :)

Posted by: a former european at August 30, 2006 02:31 PM

Once again you set up the oinkers.

Sigh.

This being a grown-up thing is *soooooo* over-rated.

8@(

Posted by: John of Argghhh! at August 30, 2006 03:13 PM

As it happens, I just put a Jon Kyl sticker on my minivan. Pederson, his opponent, is a walking Dem talking point. I wouldn't vote for the man for dog catcher. There are many questionable races, but this is not one of them.

On the Gov. front here, our local media keep talking about how Janet--never-met-a-bill-I-wouldn't-veto--Napolitano is way ahead. Problem is, we haven't had the primary yet, and we don't have an R candidate set! At present, Munsil and Goldwater, the two frontrunners, are busily stabbing each other in the back. I suspect that dear Janet will still get her second term (we have a two-term limit in AZ) but I don't think it will be by as much as the current polls are indicating.

Posted by: JannyMae at August 30, 2006 03:35 PM

Cass,

I think you hit the nail on the nose with this one. :)

Dat Schumer, he one funny guy!

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at August 30, 2006 03:36 PM

A Goldwater is running again? Tell me he is a chip off the old block; handsome, a gentleman and not pc. I shall swoon in anticipation, move to AZ just to vote and then skedaddle back hyah to Jawjuh.

Posted by: Cricket at August 31, 2006 03:48 PM