« Project Valour IT Update | Main | A Public Service Announcement Regarding Kerry's "Clarification" »

October 31, 2006

KerryWatch: Mama Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Soldiers

America. It's a great country.

The land of the free and the home of the brave. Here, we have the freedom to do, or be, or even say anything we want. America is a land filled with opportunity; a land of plenty, and peace. A land where a young boy or girl can grow up to be an astronaut, a doctor, an engineer, an exotic dancer, or even a United States senator who gratuitously insults the men and women who gave him the precious freedoms enjoyed by every American:

Funny. I went to high school with my husband. He was a Merit Scholar with SATs in the 98th percentile. He got into every school he applied to, including (as I recall) at least one Ivy. He graduated from college with grades far better than John Kerry's, though he had a full-time job, a wife, and a baby to support while attending class. He could have written his own ticket, but he chose the Marine Corps. Of course, what would he know? By definition, he must not be terribly smart.

After all, he has stayed the course, serving his country for over 25 years instead of bailing out four months into his tour of duty. But smartness seems to be in short supply these days. What astonishes is the rather amazing realization that intelligence (who knew?) is a quality that can be detected, not from any thoughtful analysis of one's accomplishments or policy, but from something so simple as listening to random sound bytes:

Whenever Clinton speaks, it throws into dramatic relief the inarticulateness of our current president, who sometimes can barely get through a sentence. After a career teaching in art schools, I've seen many examples of highly intelligent performers and artists who weren't naturally verbal, so I always gave Bush the benefit of the doubt. But now I feel that he really doesn't perceive subtleties and that his thinking is schematic and reductive. Clinton's range of reference and his ability to think out loud and to mesh the large idea with the small detail is remarkable.

On the other hand, I think, what the heck is Clinton doing? I used to assume he was campaigning to be the next secretary general of the United Nations, but he's turning into a compulsive blabbermouth who is compromising his own dignity as a former president. He was unusually young after two terms in office, but no former presidents have tried to hog the spotlight. He acts like he's the shadow president. This isn't Great Britain, where the leader of the opposing party is ready to step in if the government falls. It's a bad precedent, because we wouldn't want a disgruntled Republican ex-president bouncing around the map bad-mouthing a sitting Democratic president. Why is Clinton undermining the authority of the president when national security is so sensitive?

What a relief, not to have to think! And can the undeniable applicability of Art School tutelage to the realm of foreign policy really be disputed? Perish the thought.

Why analyze presidential intelligence in terms of what they do when you can simply concentrate on the far more important matter of what they are saying? So much easier to dissect their legacy in terms of a few awkward moments in front of a camera. Of such moments as this, after all, is world history made. And such a method is certainly easier on the blood pressure:

I was on C-SPAN the other morning, and a lady called in to complain that ''you are making my blood pressure rise.'' Usual reason.

The host, Paul Orgel, had asked me what I thought of President Bush and I replied that, whatever my differences with him on this or that, I thought he was one of the most farsighted politicians in Washington. That's to say, he's looking down the line to a world in which a radicalized Islam has exported its pathologies to every corner on Earth, Iran and like-minded states have applied nuclear blackmail to any parties within range, and a dozen or more nutcake basket-case jurisdictions have joined Pyongyang and Tehran as a Nukes R Us one-stop shop for all your terrorist needs. In 2020, no one's going to be worrying about which Congressional page Mark Foley is coming on to. Except Mark Foley, who'll be getting a bit long in the tooth by then.

But if it really is, as Democrats say, ''all about the future of our children,'' then our children will want to know why our generation saw what was happening and didn't do anything about it. They will despise us as we despise the political class of the 1930s. And the fact that we passed a great prescription drug plan will be poor consolation when the entire planet is one almighty headache.

It is with a certain amount of schadenfreude that we have observed various conservative pundits 'discovering' that the President is amazingly articulate in private. Where have they been? It is enough to make us want to buy them a dictionary; perhaps they could look up the difference between the words articulate and glib. The President is not stupid. As Mark Steyn noted in a recent column, he is neither ill-read, nor ill-informed. He simply is not glib:

Bush was forceful and informed, and it seems to me he performs better in small groups of one-night-only White House correspondents than in the leaden electronic vaudeville with Helen Thomas, David Gregory and the other regulars. (You can judge for yourself: Michael Barone has posted the entire audio at U.S. News & World Report's Web site.) He dismissed the idea that going into Iraq had only served to "recruit" more terrorists to the cause. (General Pace told me last week that, if anything, the evidence is that Iraq has tied up a big chunk of senior jihadists who'd otherwise be blowing up Afghanistan and elsewhere.) The president's view is that before it was Iraq it was Israel; with these guys, it's always something. Sometimes it's East Timor -- which used to be the leftie cause du jour. And, riffing on the endless list of Islamist grievances, Bush concluded with an exasperated: "If it's not the Crusades, it's the cartoons." That'd make a great slogan: it encapsulates simultaneously the Islamists' inability to move on millennium-in millennium-out, plus their propensity for instant new "root causes," and their utter lack of proportion.

"We need to be on the offense all the time," said the president. I pointed out that, when the military are obviously on offense -- liberating Afghanistan, toppling Saddam -- the American people are behind them. But that it's hard to see where the offense is in what to most TV viewers has dwindled down to a thankless semi-colonial policing operation with no end in sight. How about a bit more offense? Syria's been subverting Iraq for three years. Why not return the favor?

"We are on the offense," he insisted, sounding sometimes as frustrated as us columnists that so much of the wider momentum had become (in Charles Krauthammer's words) "mired in diplomacy." Still, it was a different conversation than most Bush encounters with the media-political class. I happened to be plugging my book on a local radio show this week just as a Minnesota "conservative" (ish) Democrat joined the herd of stampeding donkeys explaining why they were now disowning their vote in favor of the Iraq war. What a sorry sight. It's not a question of whether you're "for" or "against" a war. Once you're in it, the choice is to win it or lose it. And, if you're arguing for what will look to most of the world like the latter option, you better understand what the consequences are. In this case, it would, in effect, end the American moment.

Does that bother people? Bush said something, en passant, that I brooded on all the way home. Asked about poll numbers, he said that 25 percent of the population are always against the war -- any war.

The invaluable Brussels Journal recently translated an interview with the writer Oscar van den Boogaard from the Belgian paper De Standaard. A Dutch gay "humanist" (which is pretty much the trifecta of Eurocool), van den Boogaard was reflecting on the accelerating Islamification of the Continent and concluding that the jig was up for the Europe he loved. "I am not a warrior, but who is?" he shrugged. "I have never learned to fight for my freedom. I was only good at enjoying it."

I don't read Steyn regularly, though perhaps I ought to. I do enjoy him. He turns a wonderful phrase; I loved the 'trifecta of Eurocool'. But that quote just resonated with me:

"I have never learned to fight for my freedom. I was only good at enjoying it."

Could anything better express the attitude of pompous asses like John Kerry? I found myself thinking, for some reason, of that long-ago New York Times photo spread and the surreal caption by Michele McNally, made to accompany the picture of an insurgent carefully sighting down a rifle barrel at one of our own soldiers. Ms. McNally, apparently, found the sight inspiring:

"Right there with the Mahdi army. Incredible courage."

Remembering that, all I could think was, "Damn you. Damn you to hell."

You don't even begin to know courage.

Courage is waking every day to grinding agony when your friends are going out and having a beer, or fixing their cars, or going out on dates, or making babies, or doing any of the hundreds of things young men do.

kevin.jpgCourage is being confined to a hospital bed, day after day after day when you used to run for miles without getting tired, when you used to be able to hump a ten-miler with a pack on your back and not fall out of formation.

Courage is trying not to think of the friends who won't be coming back. And then remembering them anyway, and picking up the pieces, and going on.

Courage, some days, is just looking in the mirror. Waiting for you to look like you again. Wondering what you'll look like next week. Next year. Wondering, I'm sure, if there will ever be a happily ever after for you: a white picket fence and a family and a dog and a yard full of toys. The American dream you fought to protect for others.

Courage is keeping that fragile flame of hope alive for yourself, the way you kept it alive for people half a world away.

Courage is Sergeant Kevin Downs.

Who knows. Maybe Kevin isn't all that smart. He got "stuck" in Iraq. I may not be all that smart either. Heck - I'm just an ignorant Red Stater who married a United States Marine 27 years ago, and there is not a single day that I haven't been prouder than I can say to stand by his side.

But I am smart enough to know one thing.

I know enough not to sneer at the men and women who make my way of life possible.

Maybe I'm not so dumb after all.

Posted by Cassandra at October 31, 2006 07:30 AM

Comments

I went to Jean Fraude's website and sent this:

Senator Kerry,

You said, “You know, education, if you make the most of it, if you study hard and you do your homework, and you make an effort to be smart, uh, you, you can do well. If you don’t, you get stuck in Iraq.”

This is the nastiest, most ill-informed, most despicable thing you have said since your disgraceful Winter Soldier testimony.

Have you no shame?

Apologize.

As if he knew anything about working hard, getting good grades, or deserving the wealth that has been showered down on his sorry ass.

Jean Fraude is a miserable piece of excrement.

Posted by: MathMom® at October 31, 2006 09:17 AM

What I heard:

“You know, education, if you make the most of it, if you study hard and you do your homework, and you make an effort to be smart, uh, you, you can do well. If you don’t, you get stuck as an ineffective Senator who is so blind to his own mediocrity that he embarasses himself and the state he represents with his every ignorant utterance. But then again, you might luck out and marry money.”

But that's about what I hear everytime either of the esteemed Massachusetts gasbags bloviate.

Posted by: Daveg at October 31, 2006 09:30 AM

John WHO?!

Posted by: camojack at October 31, 2006 09:42 AM

Has anyone every thought to tell this smarmy **** that the 60's have been over for 40 years? Excrement indeed.

Posted by: M*A at October 31, 2006 09:46 AM

Funny.
I heard the same thing Daveg did.

And I heard what you said, Cass.. Loud and Clear. DAMN STRAIGHT.

Posted by: afsister at October 31, 2006 10:37 AM

Amen. Can I go fire some rounds at Kerry? I promise not to dissolve in tears...the f***tard.

Posted by: Cricket at October 31, 2006 10:59 AM

Get a load of Kerry's press release in response: http://www.johnkerry.com/news/releases/release.html?id=33

It almost reads like a parody!

Posted by: FbL at October 31, 2006 01:12 PM

Obviously somebody told the boy it was time to talk tough, FbL. Watt! It's time to pass that pro-dueling legislation...

Posted by: Grim at October 31, 2006 01:42 PM

Another example of just how out of touch that guy is and many like him.

How utterly pathetic. But how utterly typical.

Posted by: Eric Blair at October 31, 2006 01:46 PM

Now the stupid dipstick is saying he was talking about President Bush being stuck in Iraq, not the fine suckers who were tricked into going, and that reprehensible Rethuglicans quoted him out of context.

What next? "Do You Know Who I AM???"

Posted by: MathMom® at October 31, 2006 02:11 PM

Right. So, when he said "you" every other time in the quote, it meant "you kids I'm talking to right now." But the last time, though there was no transition to suggest it, "you" meant "George Bush."

Posted by: Grim at October 31, 2006 02:48 PM

I read that Kerry press release ... will play well with the Move On.com crowd ... not so much with anyone else. Kerry thinks he can pull the Jedi mind trick ... wave his hand and say 'no, I didn't insult the troops .. it's all the Republicans '

Posted by: Frodo at October 31, 2006 02:48 PM

The press conference was hysterical.
Literally.

Posturing, poofed pussoir.

Posted by: Carrie at October 31, 2006 02:53 PM

You think that was hysterical, check out this atttempt at spin:

Below is what Kerry actually meant to say, which I got straight from the Kerry team, which Kerry uses all the time.

"I can't overstress the importance of a great education. Do you know where you end up if you don't study, if you aren't smart, if you're intellectually lazy? You end up getting us stuck in a war in Iraq." - Senator John Kerry

Now don't all you right wingnuts feel bad for misjudging poor John F*** Kerry?

No, me neither.

Posted by: Frodo at October 31, 2006 02:59 PM

Excellent post, Cassandra. I Excerpted and linked at Bill's Bites >> Jean Fraud Kerry -- Still Lovin' Our Troops

Posted by: Bill Faith at October 31, 2006 03:34 PM

I liked RedWinged Blackbird's observation over on HotAir.com

"Any good graphic arts folks here? I’m thinking Mr. Kerry deserves a virtual Purple Heart for figuratively shooting himself in the foot. It’s the least we could do after all he’s done for us."
What an unexpected "October surprise".

Posted by: Ziobuck at October 31, 2006 03:48 PM

Hey John, why the long face? Did you just make a complete and utter ass of yourself? You are not worthy to knock mud off of the boots of a Marine who should righteously stomp on your horse excrement face. Your stupidity got me off my butt and I just made a donation to the IT Valour project! Semper Fi!

Posted by: Ellen at October 31, 2006 03:58 PM

I don't get the deal? Isn't it fairly obvious that Kerry simply mispoke? I wasn't overwhelmed by his response on CNN that is posted at Huff (seems he could have used some 5 or 10 seconds more out of his lengthy anti-Bush answer to make the point more clearly), but Kerry isn't known for being overwhelming or particularly glib or particularly impressive.

And, there is a silver lining in Kerry's gaffe. As noted by a commenter over at Huff, the incident may tend to dampen Kerry's chances as Dem candidate in '08. Movement in that direction should be good news to and for many Democrats and Independents, and maybe a few Republicans as well.

Posted by: dgf at October 31, 2006 04:24 PM

Kerry, "misspoke?" Then why didn't he say so, and apologize?

Posted by: JannyMae at October 31, 2006 04:43 PM

[JannyMae] Yes. Mispoke. In the interview (as I recall), he referenced the "incident" as a botched joke, and that together with the rest of the interview is consistent with the Huff reporting of what he'd intended to say.

Why not "apologize" for mis-speaking? Some do, apparently, some don't, apparently. Ask Kerry why (and you'll get a long and only potentially responsive answer). He "should have" in my view, but . . . whatever (and it's not like it really matters in any moderately inclusive "view of things" one way or the other).

Kerry's Kerry, after all. What can you say?

Posted by: dgf at October 31, 2006 04:53 PM

Sorry, but I don't believe Kerry misspoke. I believe he's trying to weasel out of the hole he's dug by claiming that he did. I couldn't care less what HuffPo has to say about it, as they are shilling for Kerry. You can believe Kerry if you so desire. I don't. Not for a minute, especially not after looking at his accusations of, "despicable Republican attacks."

Posted by: JannyMae at October 31, 2006 05:57 PM

DANG, WOMAN (Cass), you about had me in tears the way you wrapped that up with "COURAGE".

Mr. "Do you know who I am?" says "I apologize to no one!"

Can't you hear a collective sigh of relief from the United States Military-- because they don't have to call that pompous, "scat" stinkingly arrogant thug "Commander In Chief"..??? What a piece of work! Akin to some my dog left in the yard over the last couple weeks!

Not "botching" up jokes must be a challenge when the humor-void cranially inverted have planted one of their own 'common man's' $2000 a pair shoes in their "mouth".

Perhaps this bit of "turbulence" is the "blessing in disguise" we might need to endure (like Kerry's 'obscenities') It's loathsome to those of us who actually DO support and love the troops--- but if it's the beginning of the kind of back pedaling the donks will find themselves doing up until Nov 7th...well HEY! Would that their true colors FLY front and center in the spotlight. Better this kind of "turbulence" from them then letting them at the controls of "the plane", so to speak.

Great tribute to the troops, Cass...all wrapped up in the well deserved Kerry rebuke. "NO PURPLE HEART FOR YOU, JEAN FRAUD, for this "wound". This one was self inflicted, ya bozo!!!"

Posted by: Rocky Mtn. Lioness at October 31, 2006 06:21 PM

So Kerry's defense is that me mangled an insult directed at the President? Fine, so stipulated. So where does that leave us? Isn't Bush supposed to be the idiot that can't even read a speech?

Isn't Kerry supposed to be the superior diplomat? Questioning your political opponent's intellect and work ethic in a ham-handed and clumsy manner is not exactly good diplomacy, is it? What's he going to do next, make jokes about Kim Jong Il's height?

Posted by: DaveG at October 31, 2006 06:47 PM

DaveG took my point and made it well. When President Bush understands how hard it is to put food on your family, he's a dullard. When John Kerry swallows his foot up to his hip, it's the evil Republicans twisting his pearls of wisdom into vile little pretzels.

Ok, whatever. Put a fork in him.

Posted by: MathMom® at October 31, 2006 07:00 PM

Posted by: actus at October 31, 2006 07:29 PM

Cat, I always wish I had more time in the morning.

I meant this post to be so much more. But I was trying to get ready to leave, and trying to email people, and trying to respond to work emails. I can never concentrate. I had the glimmering of an idea in my head, like I do so many mornings, but I rarely have the luxury of seeing it translated into what I imagined. It bothers me.

By the time I get to the end, so often I am rushing to finish and it just is awful and I'm disappointed and mad. But like I keep telling myself, all we can to is reach for something. I keep thinking that I am better off than if I don't try for fear of falling short.

Posted by: Cassandra at October 31, 2006 07:34 PM

I put my foot in my mouth before I was against it.

Posted by: Jean Fraud Kerry, Embittered POTUS Wanted To Be at October 31, 2006 07:58 PM

What you are seeing from Kerry is his true colors. I don't know why this should come as any surprise to anyone.

Not only is Kerry stupid he is effing ignorant.

Posted by: Pile On® at October 31, 2006 08:08 PM

It is that Vast, Right Wing Conspiracy again.
Uh...sure. He joined the Navy, thinking to get out of 'Vietnam,' realized he was in over his head, and was smart enough to work the system to get his sorry butt out of there, much to the relief of his commanders and subordinates.

Maybe that was it...he was subliminating the message that if you stay in school, you can end up a gigolo like him.

Posted by: Cricket at October 31, 2006 08:22 PM

Actus said: I think that people just don't want to get it. Its right there in their faces, but they can't believe it. They have to believe its about the troops. Because it fits in with the idea that any criticism of the administration is a criticism of the troops.

Kerry said: “You know, education, if you make the most of it, if you study hard and you do your homework, and you make an effort to be smart, uh, you, you can do well. If you don’t, you get stuck in Iraq.”

Sorry, Actus. I read the quote and immediately thought he said only those too stupid to get educated would wind up in the military. There was no express or implied criticism of the administration. No one told me what to think - it is quite plain. If he was trying to say what Frodo dug up (post #14), it is still shocking that a senator (with a whole lot of "F"s on his Yale transcript) would speak that way about the President of the United States. You're trying to make a silk purse out of a horse's ass.

Posted by: MathMom® at October 31, 2006 08:34 PM

Here you get it! I am a Kraut (a German), who believes in the Constitution of the United States of America, and I am supporting "Our Troops" and America in the global war on terrorism! Did I say terrorism? Well, it is indeed terrorism what is going on at the latest since 1979 (Occupation of the U.S. Embassy in Teheran, Iran), but the truth is that these evil fanatics, who attacked the United States on September 11, 2001 (the old dream of Adolf Hitler), are nothing else than the long arm of the NAZIS (Paris, Berlin, Moscow - a.k.a axis of the evil), who are also supporting the Democrats in order to establish the National Socialism in the United States of America! No doubt, the United States are the last white spot of Liberty and Justice on planet Earth, the rest is already BROWN! That is why the war on so called "Terror" is so important; it is the third World War, and I am NOT wondering why the Democrats want to surrender! Ask them why they are getting so many awards here in Europe, and why they are always greatly welcomed over here! However, the reason why no mass destruction weapons have been found in Iraq is that the enemies of the United States had too much time to transfer them to other countries! BUT! It should not be forgotten that the Iraqis have been liberated from dictatorship such as my country in 1945! Unfortunately, the United States had forgotten to re-educate the Hitler Kinder, who are now re-establishing a national socialist dictatorship in Europe (Hitler's old dream of Germania)! Anyway, it will take many years until the Iraqis are strong enough to go their way without help from the United States, and many lives will get lost on this road, but that's the price! Freedom is not for free! However, I owe the United States service men and women my freedom, therefore, it is no question that I support them (good American do the same), and if necessary I will walk through the hell for them, because they all are real American Heroes (None for the money), and American Heroes Defend the Constitution and America! Land of the Free BECAUSE of the BRAVE; and NOT because of the Democrats!

Posted by: German Voice at October 31, 2006 11:25 PM

Spin it how actus and others want. Mathmom put it succinctly.(and "beautifully" (~;) A's comment is a desparate attempt at giving Kerry the benefit of the doubt. I have mulled it over in my head with an open mind to do so myself, and it still comes our smelling of the stench of arrogance, elitism and BIGOTRY. IT's NOT an easy one to back pedal out of...kinda like trying to back your car out of quick sand.

HOW is that NOT directed at our Military???? And lets say it WAS directed at the POTUS.....where the helk is the "Decorum" expected from a "distinguished (damn, that was painful to type) Senator??? HE's an embittered HACK, yet pouting about 2004.

Kerry is loathesome of the POTUS and the military and out of the abundance of his heart he SPOKE. It just eventually HAPPENS like that. IF someone has to puke..it's GONNA come out...eventually.

Wonder if Screamin Dean, Soros and the DNC hasn't taken him behind headquarters and bitch slapped him around a little. heh

Cass,
For a thrown together, "slap on paint job", I still contend that you did a very nice job of painting a worthy mural over Kerry's obscene "graffitti", and putting the focus back where it rightly belongs---the ones who are FAR more deserving of our attention & energies than a grumpy old dim!

Posted by: Rocky Mtn. Lioness at October 31, 2006 11:37 PM

Welcome, Kraut!

My mother is German, and Munchen is my favorite city in the world.

You are welcome for your freedom, and thank you for your fidelity, and for seeing the good in us. Come visit America some day!

Posted by: MathMom® at November 1, 2006 12:08 AM

Dear German Voice,
We were able to spend a couple of years in your lovely country and it was an honor and a privelege. You're right, freedom isn't free, but
to truly understand what freedom means one either needs to lose it and fight to get it back, and once having it back never take it for granted again, and do whatever is necessary to keep it. Please do come visit. You will be 'Herzlich Wilkommen!'

Posted by: Cricket at November 1, 2006 07:55 AM

If he had supported the troops in the past, I might believe it was a gaffe. But he hasn't...

He slammed the troops right after Viet-Nam. He recently accused them of terrorizing women and children in the dead of the night, and now this?

How anyone can defend this as a gaffe is beyond me.

Bye, John Kerry

Posted by: Foxy Wizard at November 1, 2006 03:47 PM

"Sorry, Actus"

Try watching the video. The quote is part of a series of anti-bush jokes. You been played by the right wing shrillfest. Sorry.

Posted by: actus at November 1, 2006 10:44 PM

Thank you guys!

Your kind words make my heart feel so glad, and thanks for being 'Herzlich Willkommen'! By the way, my favorite Bavarian city is Leavenworth, WA, USA ;)

Well, I will come over there as soon as possible, and I cannot wait to get out here. I lost many things and friends here because of my support for "Our Troops". What can I say? I am proud owner of the "America Supports You" Dog Tag. :)

Indeed, Germany WAS a lovely country until the reunion in 1990! I was born in Hamburg (Western Germany), and I can tell you that the reunion has been the worse thing for all of us! Since then, the NAZIS from the former GDR (Eastern Germany) gained control over the whole country, and the NSDAP is only divided in several political parties, but finally only ONE opinion is allowed here. The elections are a fake, the big government reality, and total control everywhere (Legislature, Judiciary, Executive, Unions, Press, TV, Radio, Internet, Phones, etc. In addition, 500.000+ cameras have been already installed in Germany)! That is the reason why 150.000+ Germans are leaving the country each year, because they never have learned to fight for their (human) rights!

Germany today: NO Constitution (the Grundgesetz is not a law, it is just a paper, and nobody needs to take care of it), corruption, crime, prostitution, drugs & alcohol, underfed children, and the Anti-American Propaganda (America is guilty for all the bad things around the globe)! Today, the Propaganda told us that 1.300+ innocent Iraqis lost their live in Iraq last month, BUT the United States lost ONLY 105 soldiers! Well, this is the daily Propaganda such as the "Uebermensch" speeches of this Mr. Kerry!

Posted by: German Voice at November 2, 2006 01:02 AM

The quote is part of a series of anti-bush jokes.

How is that you don't understand what an incredibly weak defense that is? In fact, it is not a defense at all. Follow along: no one in the position of United States Senator should be publicly ridiculing our Commander-in-Chief, and especially a Senator who's academic performance was actually worse than the target of his witty (not) riposte. Using the military in Iraq as the foil of the barb merely exacerbates the inappropriateness of it, and is dishonorable in the extreme. To coin a phrase made popular by your ilk, if you aren't angry, you aren't paying attention.

Posted by: Daveg at November 2, 2006 08:55 AM

Hm. I wonder if Kerry planned on making a joke slamming President Bush, but his inner voice accidently slipped out and revealed his true feelings about the military?

Now he's scrambling and trying to pretend it didn't happen/didn't really mean that and whingeing because people don't believe him.

Posted by: Patrick Chester at November 2, 2006 11:08 AM

Sen. Kerry talks to Don Imus

Kerry: "... The people who owe an apology are people like Donald Rumsfeld, who didn’t send enough troops..."

A few seconds later...

Kerry: "John McCain says we ought to send another 100,000 troops over there. First of all, we don’t have another 100,000 troops. ..."

Posted by: German Voice at November 2, 2006 02:54 PM

"Follow along: no one in the position of United States Senator should be publicly ridiculing our Commander-in-Chief"

Thats ridiculous. Now you're the joke.

Posted by: actus at November 2, 2006 06:49 PM

Actually actus, that's not a joke.

It is probably one of the defining differences between liberals and conservatives.

When Clinton was in office, the majority of military officers were Republicans and the majority of us hated him. But if you started to ridicule Clinton in public you would be swiftly rebuked for not offering proper respect to the President of the United States of America.

What a concept: that the office deserves respect even if one privately believes the inhabitant has dishonored it. Quaint. Old fashioned.

Conservative. Not everyone adheres to it. But it is hardly a joke.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 2, 2006 06:54 PM

Kerry doesn't have to make sense GV.

This is the same man who publicly pummeled Bush for not putting together a "real coalition" and insulted our Coalition allies before finally admitting that Germany and France would never send troops to Iraq for him EITHER. Of course, our loyal media buried that admission.

Logic is not in his repertoire.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 2, 2006 06:56 PM

"Actually actus, that's not a joke."

Who ever thinks thats the case? They're a joke. Thats a ridiculous idea, that a senator can't make fun of a president. Ever see the British Parliament? Do they still do that on CSPAN? Thats how I like it.

"But if you started to ridicule Clinton in public you would be swiftly rebuked for not offering proper respect to the President of the United States of America."

I think there are different rules for the military, they give up some of their first amendment rights. In the senate? not so much. In fact, they even have the speech and debate clause, which insulates them from liability for things said on the floor.

Posted by: actus at November 2, 2006 09:36 PM

"This is the same man who publicly pummeled Bush for not putting together a "real coalition" and insulted our Coalition allies..."

It's worse than that. This is the man who sent key campaign members to Australia during the 2004 election season to warn them against further participation in the GWOT. He didn't just scorn the Coalition we had; he tried to break it, in a time of war, for his own political advantage.

Posted by: Grim at November 2, 2006 10:24 PM

Personally I am not against the odd joke here and there. But Kerry has been flailing away right and left for years now and this isn't the first time it's landed him in hot water. And it wasn't just the military, it was wives. Last time I checked I didn't forfeit any of my 1st Amendment rights when I said, "I do".

And Grim, you know it. The man is amazing. What a jerk.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 2, 2006 10:32 PM

"Actus, there is what one can do, and what one ought to do. Some people still make that distinction."

Sure. And I think we ought to have a system more like the british parliament. Not in terms of separation of powers, but in terms of how you treat the big man.

"And it wasn't just the military, it was wives. Last time I checked I didn't forfeit any of my 1st Amendment rights when I said, "I do"."

People rebuking wives for speaking? Who would imagine that to be a first amendment problem?

Posted by: actus at November 2, 2006 10:55 PM