« This. Means. War. | Main | When Hyperpartisanship Trumps Humanity »

November 03, 2006

What This Fundraiser Needs....

...is a little FUN. As in motivational posters.

Halfway into any fund raising effort, enthusiasm starts to flag. Since we feel sorry for the Army and the petticoated parlormaids they send to do their dirty work for them, we thought we'd challenge them to a little PT session:

mulez.gif

Join the Navy: it's not just a job. It's an adventure:

NAVY-SEA.gif

What was that about rum, sodomy, and the lash????

*running away*

And finally, I present to you the Air Force:

Air Force.gif

You know you want to support the Marine team. If you need more reasons than the 10 I gave you yesterday, check out Linda's site!

But if you really want to know about the Marines, ask the Army and the Navy. They'll tell you:

"The safest place in Korea was right behind a platoon of MARINES. LORD, how they could fight!" MAJ. GEN. FRANK LOWE, U.S. ARMY

"I have just returned from visiting the MARINES at the front, and there is not a finer fighting organization in the world!"
GEN. DOUGLAS MACARTHUR, U.S. ARMY

"I can never again see a UNITED STATES MARINE without experiencing a feeling of reverence."
GEN. JOHNSON, U.S. ARMY

"A ship without MARINES is like a garment without buttons."
ADM. DAVID PORTER, USN

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a MARINE and his rifle!"
GEN. PERSHING, US.ARMY

"The more MARINES I have around the better I like it!"
GEN. MARK CLARK, U.S. ARMY

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.
Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!
Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945 (just had to throw that one in!)

My only answer as to why the Marines get the toughest jobs is because the average Leatherneck is a much better fighter. He has far more guts, courage, and better officers... These boys out here have a pride in the Marine Corps and will fight to the end no matter what the cost.
2nd Lt. Richard C. Kennard, Peleliu, World War II

This last quote, though, is from a Marine. And I believe it typifies the Marine spirit better than anything else I have ever read. I can never read it without tearing up:

I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right.

I will hold.

1stLt. Clifton B. Cates, USMC
in Belleau Wood, 19 July 1918

Send me your best motivational posters. I'll donate $100 to Project Valour IT in honor of the winner.

BWA HA HA HA HA!!!!! Beth rocks!

smashinthenavy.jpg

JHD sends (toldja the Armorer was going to pay for that bikini shot - don't EVER attack the Marine women!):

army_strong.jpg

And since no one on those "other" teams has returned fire, I'll ever snark my own side. Here's one for the Air Force (ziobuck!):

fly_marine.jpg

Posted by Cassandra at November 3, 2006 12:32 PM

Comments

Finally. It's not like I haven't been trying to get this fight going all week.

Sheesh!

All I hadda do was snark yer inner femme, eh?

;^)

Posted by: John of Argghhh! at November 3, 2006 03:46 PM

Yanno. Some of us have to work during the week big guy. These suck, but it's the best I could do while on the phone and on my lunch hour.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 3, 2006 03:48 PM

I think I am going to collapse after this is all done! I'm already working late to keep up.

That bikini thing was mean - I'm still shuddering.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 3, 2006 03:49 PM

AGAIN (and it happens OFTEN) I am soberly reminded WHY we simply CAN not MUST NOT, SHALL NOT elect those who hold the remotest amout of disdain for our Military.

We need "leaders" who support our troops with passion! NO SILSO's (supporters in lip service only). Helk, even Kerry can't even get THAT far.

Posted by: Rocky Mtn. Lioness at November 3, 2006 03:53 PM

Yeah, Cass... I finally clicked on that link John posted, and I swear I'm gonna have nightmares for a week! I mean really, isn't that almost Soviet-Inquisition-Femme type stuff? LOL

Hey, my brother-in-law is a retired Army guy, Beloved Hubby is retired Navy, Daddy fought in WW2 in the Navy, and I dated and adorable Coast Guard cadet when I was 18 (sorry, nothing that I recall for the Air Force)...

And one of the hottest most professional and straight-shooter type guys I ever met was the Marine Captain at Hubby's NROTC unit... That man made me wish my Hubby (then finance) was a Marine...

*sigh*

I love all the Services, but the Marines... The Marines are awe inspiring!

-- Kat
(who was gushing, yeah, but c'mon! MARINES! *swoon*)
www.CatHouseChat.com

Posted by: Kat at November 3, 2006 04:00 PM

Beautiful...simply beautiful...and precious comes to mind, too. heh Especially the purple skirted putz...err...one.

Posted by: Rocky Mtn. Lioness at November 3, 2006 04:04 PM

Yes, well John *was* the inspiration for that one.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 3, 2006 04:11 PM

Cass is channeling me. We've got a tutu for Noonan coming up...

Posted by: John of Argghhh! at November 3, 2006 04:11 PM

Oh Crap! I put the wrong Navy one up!

Posted by: Cassandra at November 3, 2006 04:12 PM

I am so exhausted I'm just not thinking straight anymore.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 3, 2006 04:13 PM

Muuuuuuuuuch better! :D

Posted by: Cassandra at November 3, 2006 04:14 PM

Snerk. Woman, I may not be nice, but yer pinging me an *awful* lot. You like yer men rough, eh?

;^)

Posted by: John of Argghhh! at November 3, 2006 04:17 PM

Works of art!!! I love 'em!!!

I have to send that Army one to my cousin...:)

Posted by: Carrie at November 3, 2006 04:28 PM

Well, ummm... yeah. Sorta. As long as they remember to be gentle when it counts :)

Besides, I noticed you were trying to pick a fight before. I was just too busy.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 3, 2006 04:30 PM

I was just too busy.

Ow! Harsh, wench, harsh!

Posted by: John of Argghhh! at November 3, 2006 04:45 PM

I didn't mean it that way, honestly. This has just been a very long week.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 3, 2006 04:48 PM

I love it all!--The posters AND the conersation. :D

Posted by: FbL at November 3, 2006 06:25 PM

Commence tracking Sierra Cassandra, make tubes 1 and 2 ready in all respects...

Posted by: Bubblehead at November 4, 2006 01:45 AM

uh-oh :)

I was afraid of that!

Posted by: Cassandra at November 4, 2006 07:37 AM

...and I was so *proud* of that one, Bubblehead!

*running away*

Posted by: Cassandra at November 4, 2006 07:38 AM

It's OK, Cassandra, I'll forgive you... as soon as I get the keys on my keyboard unstucccccccccck.

Posted by: Bubblehead at November 4, 2006 09:52 AM

Actually I was hoping someone on the Navy team would send me some Marine snark. So now my sense of fair play forces me to snark my OWN team for balance, which really bites.

Plus, it's kind of hard. But anyway, I'll try.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 4, 2006 10:02 AM

Cassie, Bubblehead is easy to get rid of. Just show one of those inkblots to him. He will be so distracted as to what he sees in it he will
fergit all about ya.

*brings rudder hard about and prepares to tack raft back to Fort Ord.*

heh.

Posted by: Cricket at November 4, 2006 10:28 AM

in your best hulk voice:

Fire HOT

Air Force High

Army Strong

Posted by: oprockwell at November 5, 2006 01:31 PM

Only a Marine would strike a pose in front of a turning prop.

And he's obviously watching an Army heliflopper pass overhead and thinking, "Oh, Lowered, grant me the eyes of an eagle, the heart of a lion, the swift, deadly speed of the falcon and the b@lls of an Army helicopter pilot..."

*ducking flung trivet*