« The Democratic Response To The President's Speech | Main | The Biden Conundrum, Explained.... »

January 11, 2007

George Bush Hates White People...

In my Inbox:

This text is from a county emergency manager out in the central part of Colorado after today's snowstorm.

WEATHER BULLETIN Up here, in the Northern Plains, we just recovered from a Historic event--- may I even say a "Weather Event" of "Biblical Proportions" --- with a historic blizzard of up to 44" inches of snow and winds to 90 MPH that broke trees in half, knocked down utility poles, stranded hundreds of motorists in lethal snow banks, closed ALL roads, isolated scores of communities and cut power to 10's of thousands.

FYI:

George Bush did not come.

FEMA did nothing.

No one howled for the government.

No one blamed the government.

No one even uttered an expletive on TV .

Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton did not visit.

Our Mayor did not blame Bush or anyone else.

Our Governor did not blame Bush or anyone else, either.

CNN, ABC, CBS, FOX or NBC did not visit - or report on this category 5 snowstorm. Nobody demanded $2,000 debit cards.

No one asked for a FEMA Trailer House.

No one looted.

Nobody - I mean Nobody demanded the government do something.

Nobody expected the government to do anything, either.

No Larry King, No Bill O'Rielly, No Oprah, No Chris Mathews and No Geraldo Rivera.

No Shaun Penn, No Barbara Striesand, No Hollywood types to be found.

Nope, we just melted the snow for water.

Sent out caravans of SUV's to pluck people out of snow engulfed cars.

The truck drivers pulled people out of snow banks and didn't ask for a penny.

Local restaurants made food and the police and fire departments delivered it to the snowbound families.

Families took in the stranded people - total strangers.

We fired up wood stoves, broke out coal oil lanterns or Coleman lanterns.

We put on extra layers of clothes because up here it is "Work or Die".

We did not wait for some affirmative action government to get us out of a mess created by being immobilized by a welfare program that trades votes for 'sittin at home' checks.

Even though a Category "5" blizzard of this scale has never fallen this early, we know it can happen and how to deal with it ourselves.

"In my many travels, I have noticed that once one gets north of about 48 degrees North Latitude, 90% of the world's social problems evaporate."

It does seem that way, at least to me.

Maybe SOME people will get the message. The world does not owe you a living.

Update: Jim Schuler pointed out that this email is a fake. It was originally sent out as having happened in North Dakota. My search didn't turn that up, so I'm grateful to him for letting me know.

Posted by Cassandra at January 11, 2007 08:14 AM

Comments

Hm.

A good point.

Posted by: Grim at January 11, 2007 10:07 AM

Winter.

The surety of very cold weather can focus your attention on self-reliance, etc. The guv ain't gonna come to your house and wipe your nose and put another blanket on the bed.

Colorado is a beautiful place, but the winter weather can literally kill you if you are unprepared, and sometimes even then.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at January 11, 2007 11:06 AM

What BS! The only reason Bush didn't send anyone is because Cheney told him they were all black people, but they looked white because they were covered in snow.

Posted by: KJ at January 11, 2007 11:07 AM

Bush is at it again, a megalomaniac who controls Gaia's every whim! He needs to be stopped! I didn't see PETA out there bleating that the animals had to be fed.

Posted by: Cricket at January 11, 2007 11:16 AM

Cricket -

Not only did PETA not raise the issue that the animals must be fed, when they were asked to help, they declined.

Posted by: MathMom® at January 11, 2007 11:46 AM

Amazing. I have a chain saw, wood stove, gas logs (I'm lazy, at times), 2 4-wheel drive vehicles, boots, gloves, bow-saw, beautiful wife, rifles, shotguns, pistols, grandchildren, fishing poles, and ...! I live in Virginia, too!

Good luck. Y'all are in my prayers.

Alan Briley, RN

Posted by: ParatroopRN at January 11, 2007 12:31 PM

Of course they declined. Those cattle are slaves to the Man. They are stupid enough to not break free and proof that animals are not smart enough to think for themselves. As to the storm being an Act Of God, well duh. How funny of them to invoke a God they deny the existence of and marvel at evolutionary changes that just didn't quite get animals on the same level of sentience as humans?

Doesn't surprise me. They would rather they starve to death so they won't be eaten or milked.
It wonders me if the head of PETA a vegetarian?

What a bunch of frauds.

Posted by: Cricket at January 11, 2007 01:50 PM

Yep. Reannon Peterson is a vegetarian. Or makes that claim.

Posted by: Cricket at January 11, 2007 01:56 PM

They all are, so they say.

PETA's real reason for not helping is, of course, that feeding cattle in the snow is hard, physical work. :)

Posted by: Grim at January 11, 2007 02:08 PM

PETA is to animal welfare as MADD is to drunk driving.

Posted by: Daveg at January 11, 2007 02:30 PM

I never met a steak I didn't like. In fact, for Christmas, we enjoyed a wonderful roast tenderloin. I cut it in such a way as to fill it, then roll it back up. It was a center cut,
weighing in at a whopping four pounds, but it was fork tender and done to medium rare. The filling was caramelized onions, mushrooms, fresh spinach
and a dash of salt and pepper.

We eat tasty animals quite a bit: Fish, chicken, turkey, lamb, veal, beef, venison and pork. We also make our own processed meat like ham, bacon, corned beef, pastrami and sausage. The smoked salmon is a favorite, especially when flaked and folded into a delicate aioli and served on a bed of mixed greens.

I feel for those starving beef. I don't mind rescuing them early and filling my freezer if it will get them out of their misery.

Yeah..that's it. I wonder if they would let me drive my gas guzzling SUV out into the wilderness
and 'rescue' a critter.

Posted by: Cricket at January 11, 2007 03:20 PM

"PETA's goal is to make us all vegans, while MADD is now nothing more than a neo-prohibitionist group."

Well... I think there's a subtle difference, being that driving drunk is pretty stupid. For that matter getting drunk is pretty stupid, no matter how fun it is.

But, *like* to eat animals.

Posted by: Kevin L at January 11, 2007 04:43 PM

Erm... *I* *Like* to eat animals.:) Small fuzzy ones, big mooing ones, ones with feathers (plucked of course), and a few things that are figurative animals and/or figuratively eaten. Um. Yep.

Posted by: Kevin L at January 11, 2007 04:47 PM

Cricket! I want that recipe!!!

Posted by: Beth at January 11, 2007 04:55 PM

Damn Cricket, you made me salivate!

Posted by: unkawill at January 11, 2007 05:02 PM

I got that email, too.

FWIW, my mother lives in Colorado.
(She's doing just fine)

Posted by: camojack at January 11, 2007 06:26 PM

The point about MADD is they aren't just trying to get people to not drink and drive anymore - they are trying to get people to not drink, period. On the surface, who could argue against a group trying to prevent drinking and driving, just as you *can't* argue about a group trying to prevent cruelty to animals. Except, once you get into the details, that's not all they are about.

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at January 11, 2007 07:01 PM

I will get it out and post it. It was delicious.
It is a pricey dish, as center cut tenderloin will run about 15.00 or more a pound, but if you get a decent sized roast, you will feed at least six people for about 30.00 for the main course if you get a two pounder. Way cheaper than going to the very wonderful Outback and other good steakhouses. And unlike turkey, no leftovers.

I couldn't abide leftovers after Thanksgiving, so I splurged and bought the roast. Since it was as much as a turkey, the Engineer approved. He was even more approving after dinner and decided we could eat tenderloin roast more often.

I will post it on your blog and here so that everyone who wants it can have it in either place.

Posted by: Cricket at January 11, 2007 07:11 PM

Here is the recipe.

This for a 2 to 3 pound roast, but you can double the filling ingredients and if you have some filling left over, well, crostini is good, or mix it with some cream cheese or butter.

about 8 ounces of either cremini or button mushrooms, cleaned and trimmed. You can use the stems if they are still good.

1/2 tablespoon butter
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium onion, halved and sliced about 1/4 inch thick
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1/8 black pepper
1 medium garlic clove
1/2 cup Madiera wine or sweet Marsala wine (I don't use wine for cooking, I use either chicken or beef broth, or one of the three types of grape juice, apple juice, cranberry juice...you get the idea)or fruit juice.

The Roast:

1 beef tenderloin center cut Chateaubriand (2 to 3 pounds), trimmed of fat and sliver skin
Salt and pepper to taste. I use fleur de sel.
1/2 cup lightly packed spinach
3 tablespoons olive oil

Herb Butter
4 tablesoons unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsely leaves
3/4 tables fresh thyme leaves
1 medium garlic clove, minced or pressed through a garlic press (about one teaspoon)
1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
1/8 teaspoon table salt (I grind fleur de sel)
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

For the stuffing: roughly chop the mushrooms either by hand or in a food processor in short pulses. Heat butter and oin in 12 skillet
over medium high heat until foaming subsides.
Add onion, table salt, and pepper; cook, stirring occcasionally until onion begins to soften, about five minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally until all moisture has evaporated, 5 to 7 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and continue
to cook, stirring frequently until vegetables are deeply browned and sticky, about 10 minutes.

Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Slowly stir in Madera (or liquid of choice) and cook, scraping bottom of skillet to loosen any browned bits, until liquid has evaporated, 2 to 3 mintues. Transfer onion mushroom mixture to plate and cool to room temperature.

The Roast: You can have your butcher butterfly it in three sections to make it easier to roll, but if you HAVE to do it yerself, here are the instructions: Inster chef's knife about 1 inch from bottom of raost and cut horizontally, stopping juste before edge. Open meat like a book. Make another cut diagonally into thicker portion of roast. Open up this flap, smoothing out butterflied rectangle of meat. Salt and pepper meat liberally. Spread filling
evenly over entire surface, leaving 1/2 inch border on all sides. Press spinach leaves on top of filling. Using both hands, gently but firmly roll up stuffed tenderloin, making it as compact as possible withouth squeezing out filling.
Evenly space eight pieces of kitchen twine (each about 14 inches) beneath roast. Tie each strand tightly around roast, starting with ends.

At this point, you can stop if you are making this a day ahead.

To proceed from that point, stir together 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper. Rub over roast and let it stand at room temp for 1 hour.

Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat over to 450 degrees. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in 12 inch skillet over medium high heat until smoking. Add beef to pan and cook until well browned on all sides 8 to 10 minutes total. Transfer beef to wire rack set in in rimmed baking sheet and place in oven.
Roast until instant read thermometer inserted
into thickest part of roast registers 120 degrees for rare, about 16 to 18 minutes, or 125 degrees for medium rare, 20 to 22 minutes.

Herb butter; While the meat roasts, combine butter ingredients in small bowl. Transfer roast to cutting board (when done to your liking)
and spread half of butter evenly over top of roast. Loosely tent roast with foil, let rest for 15 minutes. Cut roast between pieces of twine
into thick slices. Remove twine and serve with remaining butter passed separately.

This is from the Cook's Illustrated December 2006 issue. Cook's Illustrated is one of the best cooking geek periodicals out there. A close second is Fine Cooking at Home, but duh, most of their contributors work at Cook's Illustrated.
Cuisine at Home is another excellent magazine.

I do tinker around with recipes, as sometimes the techniques or ingredients aren't clear or available. I have had my share of disasters, but
the successes way outnumber the failures, which is encouraging me to keep on doing this.

One last note about the roast: Chateaubriand comes from the center portion of the tenderloin, and won't get bigger than about four pounds
before it tapers to that little flap. Should you get a whole tenderloin, you can have filet mignon steaks wrapped in bacon on a grill.

Okay, off my soapbox...

Posted by: Cricket at January 11, 2007 10:06 PM

"Nobody expected the government to do anything, either. "

Nobody plowed the roads?

How many people lost everything?

Posted by: actus at January 12, 2007 01:20 AM

The govt. may have plowed the roads. Or, as is the case in lots of snowy places, private enterprise did it. Huh, funny how that works.

Posted by: KJ at January 12, 2007 09:37 AM

> Nobody plowed the roads? How many people lost everything?

Now see, there's always someone looking for the nit-picky loophole, upon which if anything is conceded he or she will build an entire case for invalidating the whole, ignoring the fact that 99% of what's there is 100% accurate. Good lawyerly tactic.

Actus, In case you missed it, the point was: People up North know what to expect from the weather and plan for it, and don't sit around on their welfare-fed butts waiting for someone else to tell them it's time to get up and leave the area or do something to protect and defend themselves and their families. True, there are probably some mentally disabled people in Colorado who needed to have someone tell them to get out of the weather, but I'd bet there were a lot of normal people who went out to help them. And then the helpers didn't parade them around as victims of the mighty, evil uncaring U.S. government, just to further their causes!

As for the Katrina victims, since you made the point about losing everything: Most of the people along the MS gulf coast who were hit by the storm lost everything, especially in Biloxi, and west of there... Most people in N.O. got wet stuff. and they didn't have to run for their lives to avoid storm surge, they just had to remain orderly in an unpleasant place for a few days. However, we STILL never hear squat about the people in Biloxi, or the other small towns along the coast that were literally inundated. Why? Well, I'd say it's because poor mostly white people who didn't leave the area were not nearly so photogenic as poor bedraggled black people suffering because of the callousness of the government (plus, it was actually dangerous outside NO, so the media didn't go there). I guess the mostly-white folks were just dumb (I'd say so) whereas the mostly-black people in NO were just victims of national institutional racism. Not hard to see which makes better copy, is it? And of course, it was easier for Jackson and Sharpton and news pukes from Fox, and broke-nose Heraldo to get into and out of N.O. than the other spots on the coast.

Is THAT what you were going to get at, Actus? Or did I misstate your intent?

In fact, this really isn't about race, though a lot of people tried to make it into a race issue. It's first about stupid people who don't do what any half-way intelligent person did--leave the area; and second it's about how people act after they've screwed up. Most of the people complaining about the government screw-ups are either poor blacks from N.O. or well-off whites who like having 'pet' causes. No different, really, than the PETA folks, just needing to care about something or someone they deem less capable, less intelligent, and less able to care for themselves--cows or victimized poor people, what's the difference.

And finally, I was living in Florida in 2004 when Hurricane Ivan whacked Pensacola and points east. The storm damage there was worse than what I saw of N.O. (whole blocks of homes were literally swept away), and some people died, though not many, and it took a LONG time to clean that up. Lots and lots of people lost everything, even some people I worked with. FEMA showed up, so did the Salvation Army, and lots of other NGOs, and so did a lot of us. Volunteers came from all over the place, and this was the 4th Hurricane to whack FL in 2004!!! The Fed people were exhausted, and were really glad for the help we could give.

But there were not complaints about the federal government not doing its job, or about racism or any of that... And everyone we handed out water and food to was grateful for the stuff and for people like us being willing to do that.

And why? Well, my opinions are colored by what I saw and what happened during Katrina, but I'd say the answer is plain. Some people are raised to care for themselves. Other people are raised expecting to be cared for. Our society created the problem and encourages its continuance. Fortunately, events like Katrina go a long way toward exposing the hypocrisy and fallacy of welfare-state mentality espoused by the left-leaning victim-lovers of America.

In fact, I'd say welfare as we implement it used to be racist, meant to keep people in bondage and servitude. A lot of people reviled Reagan for his welfare reforms, but today, places like Canada and Europe are looking hard at that program to see if they can't do the same. Why? Because it was successful! It worked!

Imagine. People being asked to take care of themselves, did so and are better off for it.

I know that all went a bit beyond the scope of the questions, but they deserved this kind of answer. I hope it didn't hurt too much--I tried to be gentle.

V/R
SangerM

Posted by: SangerM at January 12, 2007 10:20 AM

Define everything. My most precious possessions are my husband and children. While it would be sad to lose my house and my THINGS, my family
cannot be replaced.

And point taken about one other thing: Plowed the roads? When I lived in Kentucky only the main roads were plowed and if you lived in a rural area you were out of luck unless you or your neighbors had a plow. I lived in a rural area.

Now, let us talk about Mayor Nagin and the governor of Louisisana: They were both warned repeatedly that a Category 5 storm was on its way.
Big Brother had done his part. The rest was up to the people.

We were in an earthquake. Pesky things, quakes.
They give NO warning as to where or when they will strike and are rude enough to not have an estimate of what magnitude it will be. But I digress.

We lived in an area that was tangential to the San Andreas Fault. When the Loma Prieta quake struck on that afternoon, it was the next longest ten seconds of my life.

Power and water were out for three days and longer in some areas of Monterey County. The police department and sheriff's office deputized
people to patrol the streets, and looters were to be shot on sight. Grocery stores were giving away perishables and writing off the loss.

We had: potable water, a 72 hour kit and a battery powered radio. We couldn't evacuate because the pumps didn't work.

Being Californian, we had barbecues. We got to know our neighbors really well because we gathered at the back of our apartment each night for a potluck dinner.

We had shelter, food and the weather held. But we were PREPARED because we listened to the civil defense people and our church leaders about having water and food storage in the event of an emergency.

And even if we did have a full tank of gas (which we did) we couldn't have gotten fill ups because within our truck's range, just about all of the stations were shut down.

I fail to see that government has to be there for all things.

As to income level, the Engineer and I had a combined income of about 19 grand a year, right about the poverty level, which was about par for what a welfare recipient was getting in the state at that time.

One more thing: All states have their quirks with regard to weather caused disasters. The governments can warn but it is up to those who have been warned to prepare themselves to either dig in or
evacuate.

Posted by: Cricket at January 12, 2007 10:32 AM

Ironically, the best-plowed roads I have ever seen are in my current development, and they are paid for privately. As soon as it starts snowing, the plows are out and our roads are plowed about once every 2 hours, which is a damned good thing since they aren't paved and we wouldn't be able to get out if they weren't.

If the government were doing it, there's no way we'd get service this good.

Just a thought.

Posted by: Cassandra at January 12, 2007 10:40 AM

And when we were in soCal in the desert my coworker used to drag her road all the time (sandstorms) to keep it navigable.

You'd be amazed what people can do when the government doesn't maintain roads. She would work a full day and then climb in the truck and drag the road. The woman was 65 years old, by the way and had a head full of flaming red hair. I adored her.

One day she came to work with a fur jacket from Palm Springs for me. She'd been cruising the thrift shops down there and decided I "needed" a real fur, so she just picked it up. I felt like a queen.

What a hoot!

Posted by: Cassandra at January 12, 2007 10:43 AM

> Define everything.

Yeah, that most of all!

I work with a fellow who was stationed at Homestead Air Force Base FL, when Hurricane Andrew wiped it out. He lost ALL of his material possesions. He only ever talks about that his family was safe in a shelter and how much it sucked to lose heirloom stuff, but even so, just stuff. He just scoffed at the people complaining about Katrina.

And that, actus, is what humans who take care of themselves do. Only in America do stupid people blame the government for bad weather and get paid mind too.

Feh.

Posted by: SangerM at January 12, 2007 10:57 AM

Late to reading this - playing catch up after a few days!

I live in Wyoming, just moved back from Colorado. We don't wait for the gov't to plow our roads!! My father and his crew spent 2 weeks over Christmas plowing our road, our county road, and about 20 other people out. We do not and never have sat on our thumbs waiting for some 'official' to come help us out.

So - actus; We were raised to be self-reliant, and help others in need. All without government direction. If you've bought into the mantra that our government is the only one who can solve problems - you need to think again!

Yes, as a rancher's daughter it hurts to see how badly the storm has affected the livestock growers in eastern Colorado -but if you actually read or watched the news reports - you will see story after story of neighbor helping neighbor through all of this!!

Ranchers may have lost their herds or some of their herds - but we were born to a life of can-do and optimism! You won't ever hear a rancher whine. If they do - they're not a true rancher!

Posted by: Nina at January 12, 2007 01:05 PM

Um... this email is a fake.

Posted by: JSchuler at January 12, 2007 06:20 PM

Thanks for letting me know. I checked Snopes but I must not have searched on the right thing, maybe because some of the text was different.

I appreciate your letting me know.

Posted by: Cassandra at January 12, 2007 06:24 PM

Doesn't change the truth of the other arguments, thought it is depressing to be so taken in...

Crap.

Posted by: SangerM at January 12, 2007 07:21 PM

and everyone was quick to compare the devastation of a storm that caused 80-124 billion in damage and killed over a thousand, to snow. Because we want it so.

It may be a fraud, but its got truthiness.

Posted by: actus at January 12, 2007 07:26 PM

Yes, actus.

And it was retracted within... what? 2 minutes of my finding out? And who is "everyone"? What I saw were a lot of jokes about PETA. I think you're exaggerating.

Posted by: Cassandra at January 12, 2007 07:40 PM

And who is "everyone"?

Everyone telling me about those can-do rough and tumble pairie types. Everyone that bought it.

Posted by: actus at January 12, 2007 08:41 PM

LOL at the email. Yeah, it may be fake, but it is a pretty good representation of how we northern types deal with winter.

And Cricket, I can't *wait* to try that roast. I'm drooling just reading the recipe!!

Posted by: laurie at January 12, 2007 08:46 PM

This post is an embarassment.

You should be ashamed. But youre probably not, and that is really scary that there this many people who find this an excellent point.

Posted by: will_b at January 12, 2007 11:46 PM

Yes, Cassandra, I had difficulty finding it through Snopes also. The only reason I "found" it was because the person who originally sent me the email had some reservations later and checked Snopes herself.

Posted by: JSchuler at January 12, 2007 11:57 PM

You know what scares me was that I called it about PETA and I don't take a paper or have a tv hookup.

As to the email that Cassandra got, so? It is a fairly accurate assessment of rugged individualism
and people taking care of themselves. That point is what is important...and actus you bought it too. Snow is a frozen flood and no less devastating for all that it is dry and not wet. Melted, it is half the volume, so ten foot drifts would be about five feet of standing water.

Not to mention the extremes of climate; Katrina was hot, blizzards are cold and both bring risks to some people. Both storms were predicted, but
no one in the west is screeching that Bush is to blame.

will b, pppppffffffttttttthhhhbbbb.

Posted by: Cricket at January 13, 2007 12:00 AM

"That point is what is important...and actus you bought it too."

I thought it was wrong. BS. Of a different sort.

Posted by: actus at January 13, 2007 01:41 AM

Knid of goes along with the Christian ethos of
being compelled in ALL things.

People were warned, the local leaders refused to act.

Posted by: Cricket at January 13, 2007 10:24 AM

"The point is actuse, not everyone thinks the government has to wipe their noses and clean their bottoms, especially if they are over 21."

Thats great. And the point is some people think this hyperbole is relevant to natural disasters that destroy 80-100 billion, and kill over a thousand. Very nice.

Now, lets talk about subsidies to western ranches?

Posted by: actus at January 13, 2007 10:31 AM

a.k.a.

"40 below keeps out the riff-raff"

Posted by: RonF at January 13, 2007 11:12 AM

Well, I live in the Chicago suburbs. I pay about $5500 a year in property taxes on a house appraised at $175,000. Part of that money goes to the Village and County I live in to pay for their services, one of which is snow plowing in the winter. So, yes, I don't expect to hire a private company to plow my road, and I don't expect a good-hearted neighbor to do so (and none of them own the necessary equipment, anyway). I expect the Village and County to perform the service I pay them good money to provide.

Food and water, however, are another matter. I live about a 5-iron from the largest forest preserve in Cook County, where hunting is not allowed. Deer abound; my personal record is 6 deer one morning in my front yard. When the whole Y2K thing came up in 1999 and people were worried if they were going to find any food at the local supermarket, everyone was talking about being prepared for problems. I was asked what I was doing. I said "I'm buying a bag of dog food."

Stunned silence, followed by "What? You're going to eat dog food?"

"No. I'm going to throw it on my lawn. Because about 1/2 hour after I do that, I'll get out my shotgun and have about 200 pounds of venison."

Posted by: RonF at January 13, 2007 11:44 AM

Actus keeps making such a big deal out of Katrina.

For several years I lived in coastal North Carolina. At that time, I had a baby and a small toddler.

My husband was constantly deployed, once for an entire year of our three year tour there. When it rained, our back yard was prone to flooding and my next door neighbor's yard would flood completely, so it was a big deal when hurricanes threatened - kind of like New Orleans, where the water is held back only by levees.

Every time we had a storm, tornadoes would touch down just across my neighborhood and the 20 or so very large pine trees in my back yard were also a constant worry. I had to go out and tape, or even board (a few times) the windows. I could not afford, as a 1st Lt's wife, to leave town every time a storm threatened, so I took sensible precautions: I always had several weeks of canned food and fresh water handy. I had means to heat it with. I had medical supplies and batteries and candles and oil lamps. And fire wood if it was winter.

I did not, ever, once, expect the federal government or even the government of North Carolina to "come to my rescue". I assumed I was on my own.

Once I was absolutely disgusted to hear one of my neighbors bitching about how the Marine Corps wouldn't "let" her husband "come home and take care of her" during a hurricane watch. I couldn't believe it: he was on duty. What the hell was she thinking? She was an adult, not a helpless child - what was her husband going to do for her that she couldn't do for herself? My husband was never once there when a storm hit - he always had to be on base.

My kids knew all about sleeping in the center hall of our brick house - we did it all the time.

So yeah - I think it's pretty dumb.

After the biggest storm we had, I spent an entire week helping the other wives in my neighborhood clean up downed limbs and trees. I bought a chainsaw and cut up everything in my own yard and hauled it away. It took me 4 days - that's how bad it was. And while I was doing that, I put my baby on my back and helped out my neighbors too. When we were in SC, the snakes all came up from the marsh and were everywhere but I didn't get my underwear in a knot - that is nature. You don't call the fricking police when you see snake.

So Actus, I really don't get where you're coming from. People who live in a hurricane zone KNOW that every year, storms come. They KNOW the drill. But they get complacent.

You can go to Costco and buy, for not much money, a bucket full of emergency food supplies. They didn't have that stuff when I was young, but I used to save my husband's extra C-rats and canned food. It doesn't take a genius to read the damned NEWSPAPER and figure out that if a storm comes, you need to be prepared to survive on your own for a few days or even a few weeks.

It doesn't take a genius to know that your power will go out, or that the water will be contaminated.

It doesn't take a genius to know the roads will all be flooded and closed if you don't leave early, and if you don't leave early you need to know where the shelters are or find high ground above the flood plain (like in the french quarter, which didn't flood). Having a government doesn't relieve us of the need to have enough common sense to survive, for pete's sake - when I was in NC the first thing I did when we had our first storm was go to City Hall and get a Flood Plain Map. Duh. I was 23. Again this isn't brain surgery we're talking, but I had two babies to protect.

Posted by: Cassandra at January 13, 2007 12:34 PM

I know all these all these 'it doesn't take a genius.' I heard on NPR the prognostications for new orleans if a cat-5 hit it. Including the fact that we expected tens of thousands to die because they couldn't get out fast enough. But what fascinates me is the comparison of snow in north dakota (or colorado) to a storm that caused 100 some billion in damage and over a thousand dead.

But i'd sure like to see some of these rugged individualists fend for themselves in that superdome.

"I lived in Florida, SC, NC - all hurricane areas, and I was always prepared and I NEVER expected anything from anyone."

Except for a flood plain map, it seems.

Posted by: actus at January 13, 2007 01:55 PM

I hear they have those in New Orleans too.

Posted by: Cassandra at January 13, 2007 03:28 PM

"I hear they have those in New Orleans too."

Ya. it says the entire town is under water. Ask the corps of engineers.

Posted by: actus at January 13, 2007 04:15 PM

They probably could have done just fine. But if the Superdome was hell, it had nothing to do with the hurricane but the inclination to be vile.
Just because there is a disaster does not mean civilization has come to an end and grants an entitlement to be vicious.

I don't buy that for a minute. And how did they end up in the Superdome? Because they were TOLD to go there. Mayor Nagin did not take care of his city. It is disgraceful for him to not step up to the plate and take responsibility for his
lack of action and then resign.

If NO recovered, it is because a LOT of people gave of themselves. People in Mississippi and Alabama were hit just as hard as the people of Loiusiana. My own church group has gone down there twice; Boy Scout troops from our town have gone to MS several times and it has been over a year. We have sent clothing and food and money.

We are supposed to help ourselves as far as possible. This is not to say government or loca service agencies shouldn't be called when appropriate. We have weather warning systems in place so people can be prepared.

Posted by: Cricket at January 13, 2007 06:40 PM

Ya. it says the entire town is under water.

Posted by: Cassandra at January 13, 2007 08:06 PM

"We are supposed to help ourselves as far as possible. This is not to say government or loca service agencies shouldn't be called when appropriate. "

Where I come from, the government is 'ourselves' too. Like churches and community groups.

"Actus, do you just make stuff up whenever it suits you? The "entire town" was never under water even at the height of the flooding, and it certainly isn't now."

How much was flooded?

Posted by: actus at January 14, 2007 08:00 PM

How much was flooded?

I am not here to teach you how to use Google, Actus.

Posted by: Cassandra at January 14, 2007 10:22 PM

80 percent.

Posted by: actus at January 15, 2007 09:50 PM

Howdy Cassandra!

Daniel from Grim's hall here.

Just to be fair, the majority of New Orleans is anywhere from 1' to 10' underwater... constantly.

Posted by: Daniel at January 16, 2007 02:57 PM