« Another Indication ... | Main | AP's Continues Deception on Hussein Story »

January 09, 2007

Homeward Bound

If you find it’s me you're missing,
if you’re hoping I’ll return.
To your thoughts I’ll soon be list’ning,
and in the road I’ll stop and turn.

Then the wind will set me racing
as my journey nears its end.
And the path I’ll be retracing
when I’m homeward bound again.

Set me free to find my calling
and I’ll return to you somehow.

Posted by Cassandra at January 9, 2007 06:55 PM

Comments

Pardon me while I interrupt your iambic pentameter haiku and all, but is anyone else as pissed off as I am re the latest ARMED incursion by Mexican criminals into the US?

Being in Arizona, this really hits home. For you easterners, this is like the the Frogs landing at Fort Monroe, Sumter, or maybe one of the old New York batteries, running off the token garrison, and seizing it for the glory of La Patrie.

Why the hell did Dubya finally send the vaunted 6,000 National Guardsmen to secure our borders, after he was practically forced to do so, when they are not allowed to defend themselves from armed Mexican illegals crossing into the US, but must flee for their lives. What a shameful day for America!

Arizona approved each and every anti-illegal immigrant ballot initiative in November with 75-80% approval. Given the large hispanic population here, this means that every non-mexican must have voted in favor of these initiatives. Nevertheless, Bush and the Republicans remain soft on illegal immigration. This idiocy shows why the Republicans lost Congress. They can't bring themselves to support wildly popular measures such as this, and it certainly cost them in the Southwest.

Will it take another Pancho Villa to rape, plunder and pillage another US border town before Bush realizes we have a problem with our border?

Posted by: a former european at January 9, 2007 10:42 PM

Yes, afe, I am. MH lost a cousin, this last November, who worked for Border Patrol in the Ajo region of Arizona. When I read that story, I just about lost my lunch. This is one of the times that I vehemently disagree with the President's directives. This was a test. Watch, there will be more such attacks with each one becoming increasingly more violent. In the words of the *forgettable* Susan Powter: "Stop the insanity!!"

Posted by: Sly2017 at January 9, 2007 11:16 PM

And here I thought since I was posting song lyrics again, afe was going to rant about estrogen and car crashes!

Men... [shaking head]

Posted by: Cassandra at January 10, 2007 08:49 AM

Thanks for the link to the slide show Cassandra... heroes indeed.

I'm particularly fond of the two motor scooter/side-hack shots (I am fond of motorcycles) and the Florida hitcher. Then the scenes focused on the eyes, phewww. Heck, the whole slide show made me wish I were thirty years younger.

If one bases worth upon the calculation of the character of a person, these men and women are the best our country has to offer.

If only our nation's elected representatives were as committed to honor and duty...

Posted by: bthun at January 10, 2007 09:29 AM

That is one of my favorite slide shows.

There's a picture in another one of a guy wearing a bandana. He's smelling a letter as if to get a little bit of the person who sent it. That one just makes me tear up everytime I see it.
'Course, I'm an emotional beastie anyway.

Posted by: Carrie at January 10, 2007 10:11 AM

I'm pretty sure I've posted it before, or at least a link to it. I guess last night's discussion, and some things I was thinking, just made me want to post it again.

Posted by: Cassandra at January 10, 2007 10:15 AM

I am pretty sure that the slideshow was created by GCS. I know I've seen it before. I can see why you were thinking about it after the "discussion" last night.

Posted by: Carrie at January 10, 2007 10:21 AM

Yeah, the one of the guy wearing the scarf on his head gets to me too. There's another one of a female nurse or medic who is looking at one of the wounded. The expression on her face is compelling. She not only looks as if she is listening to her patient, but it is as if "You are with us and we will take care of you. You did your part and now we will do ours."

There are a couple of slideshows that I have seen with it.

Posted by: Cricket at January 10, 2007 10:31 AM

I originally received these two sites from a friend while MH was deployed in '03. I wasn't sure if the links were still active, and just seeing them again to verify they still were brings back a flood (literally and figuratively) of memories that I guess my heart just won't let go of. You see, I got these at almost the exact time when MH received his Iraqi "souvenir", and the coincidental timing (which I didn't find out about until several months later when he finally came home).... well, you get the idea.
Before You Wake
Final Inspection

Posted by: Sly2017 at January 10, 2007 01:19 PM

In case you've never been to this site:

Hanky alert on most of these tributes so if you're not wearing waterproof mascara, you've been warned.

Sly,
I don't think I'd ever seen either of those sites.
I can just imagine how they make you feel.

Posted by: Carrie at January 10, 2007 01:49 PM

OMG! i love this song...i just now found out who sang it and stuff..lol i've been looking for like two hours..this song is like so calm and peaceful...i only know about this song because in my choir class some girl is singing it for solo and ensemble...yeaa..she's a really good freakin singer! lol and she sounds so pretty singing it...it's the song for her! so yea...i asked her what the song was called and she's like Homeward Bound..i'm like OMG! OMG! i have to remember that so when i get home i can look up the lyrics..and i looked up the lyrics but like it showed like different people singing the song Homeward Bound so i got fristrated...then i finally found one where it was talking about sparrows or whatever in it...i'm like OMG! this is the one!!! so i got so excited..and i SO LOVE THIS SONG! :D

Posted by: Shana at January 17, 2007 09:08 PM

I'm glad you liked it Shana.

I thought it was beautiful too. If you Google part of the lyrics it will come right up. That's how I found this snippet. If you can't find it, come back here and email me and I'll find it for you.

Posted by: Cassandra at January 17, 2007 09:25 PM