« Brave Sir Webbin And The Three Cars | Main | Killing The Surge »

March 29, 2007

Coffee Snorters: Brooklyn Edition

Must be a Noo Yawkah thing:

Deference, with maybe just a touch of obsequiousness, is the rule for lawyers taking their cases before the nine justices of the Supreme Court.

So when Harvard law professor Arthur R. Miller yesterday mixed it up a little with the court's ever-ready pugilist Antonin Scalia, some of those in the packed courtroom later talked about it as one of those did-you-hear-that moments at the court.

Miller, whose white hair and dark, bushy eyebrows are familiar from his legal commentaries on ABC and his debate-style shows on PBS, is representing investors who want to sue Tellabs, alleging securities fraud. [Story, Page D3.]

Congress has set a high bar for such lawsuits: Plaintiffs must show not just credible allegations but a "strong inference" that the company acted with wrongful intent.

The justices wondered whether you could assign a percentage to such a "strong inference," a 33 percent chance plaintiffs could convince a jury the allegations were true, a more than 50 percent chance?

"I think it's 66 2/3 ," Scalia said, pulling another number out of the air.

"Is that because you never met a plaintiff you really liked?" Miller asked the conservative Scalia.

The room erupted in laughter. Scalia smiled. A little.

Miller backpedaled. A little. "I took a liberty there with the justice," Miller said.

But it was not over.

Scalia's chance came later, when Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. prepared to pounce on one of Miller's arguments. Miller stopped him first.

"Don't take me literally on that," Miller said. "For heaven's sakes, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm very colloquial. I'm very sorry about that.''

"Let me write that down," Scalia said with a satisfied smile. "We should not take you literally. All right."

Roberts was set to rule. "Okay, you two are even now."

Double entendre alert. And we thought you guys we bad...

It's not just for breakfast anymore.

beckhamstripe4sm.jpg Oh come on. You know you want to caption this. Via agent bedhead

Posted by Cassandra at March 29, 2007 08:05 AM

Comments

Ya, 32 things you can do with beer, doesn't mean you should do them. Beer is food (as my grandfather taught me when I was very young) ... to waste it is a sin. Of the list only the following are acceptable:

3. MARINATE MEAT
5. MAKE BEER BARBECUE SAUCE
9. STEAM CLAMS OR MUSSELS
11. BOIL SHRIMP
18. BAKE BEER BREAD (moderately acceptable if served with a side of beer)
21. CURE INSOMNIA - But not in the manner described ... you drink it until you pass out!!!
23. CALM AN UPSET STOMACH - Or hangover
25. COOK RICE
28. ROAST CHICKEN
34. Consume by pouring into mouth

Deviate from these acceptable beer related uses and you risk your eternal soul.

Posted by: Frodo at March 29, 2007 09:00 AM

Do you think the Beckhams have a contest going to see which on of them can show more of their chest in public? Not that I mind on her part.

Posted by: Frodo at March 29, 2007 09:14 AM

Frodo... honestly, there are times when I worry about you guys... :p

Posted by: Cassandra at March 29, 2007 09:27 AM

I tell you, they're going to destroy us!

The boobies, that is.

Posted by: agent bedhead at March 29, 2007 09:53 AM

They must be stopped in our lifetime. We owe it to The Children.

*running away before KJ deploys the tactical nukes, or just the Women in Chains videos*

Posted by: Princess Leia in a Cheese Danish Bikini at March 29, 2007 09:59 AM

Caption:

"Vlog me! It's the futchah, baybeeeeeee!"

Posted by: Cassandra at March 29, 2007 10:03 AM

'Those things are not breasts. It looks like someone inserted two hard plastic semicircles under her skin.'

The real test is how they feel!!! :-P

Posted by: Frodo at March 29, 2007 10:22 AM

What's with the pointy things?
No. I mean his shoes.

Posted by: spd rdr at March 29, 2007 10:34 AM

Sorry, I don't know who the people in the photo are. After reading Cass' comment about her, "breasts," I looked at the photo again, and the whole woman looks plastic. Her right leg looks like it's posed, like a Barbie doll. The man could pass for a doll, too.

Are these even real people?

Posted by: JannyMae at March 29, 2007 11:40 AM

I think that's "Posh Spice" and some guy who plays soccer isn't it?! I saw a similar photo in a Hollywierd rag while in line at the supermarket.

So if they feel like a balloon with pudding in them...?! Or is that just the result of a "WonderBra"?!

Posted by: UpNorthLurkin at March 29, 2007 01:05 PM

I didn't recognize the people in the photo. What does that say about me, that I don't know Posh Spice and David Beckham on sight??

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at March 29, 2007 01:07 PM

"This year for Halloween, I was a BIG RED ZIPPER!"

Posted by: Kevin L at March 29, 2007 01:12 PM

"...and in case of emergency, simply pull the white string and your Emergency Flotation Devices will inflate automatically..."

Posted by: Cassandra at March 29, 2007 01:17 PM

[Beckham]

"Should your Emergency Flotation Devices fail to inflate automatically, simply blow on this handy tube...."

Posted by: I'll Pay For This.... at March 29, 2007 01:20 PM

Soccer balls.
He got all this by kicking soccer balls, KJ.
How are the rest of the Spice Girls doing these days?

Posted by: spd rdr at March 29, 2007 01:29 PM

"Those things are not breasts. It looks like someone inserted two hard plastic semicircles under her skin."

You say that like it's a bad thing!

Posted by: Mark In Irvine at March 29, 2007 01:35 PM

I am ignoring *all* of you.

Pppphhhhhtttthhhh.

Posted by: Princess Leia in a Cheese Danish Bikini at March 29, 2007 01:59 PM

If I had a pair of those I would have a new home entertainment system. I would then sell all my distracting electronic equipment!

Posted by: vet66 at March 29, 2007 02:02 PM

Yes. On further reflection I can see that I should immediately begin planning to have my chest sliced open so I can surprise my husband by grafting an enormous pair of silicone breasts onto my size 6 frame. If only I'd thought of this earlier.

But alas, I have never been very bright :p

Posted by: Cassandra at March 29, 2007 02:17 PM

Is that chick some kind of frackin' Cylon?

Thanks, I'd rather have a tall, cold beer. I knew nothin' good could come of soccer, weird frackin' European game.

Opening Day is only 4 days awaaaaaaay!

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at March 29, 2007 02:56 PM

I wonder if the hard plastic semicircles (thanks Cass!) hurt. You never see her smile. Did the boob job take away her ability to look even remotely pleased with life?

Upon further reflection - maybe she is a Cylon!!

Posted by: Nina at March 29, 2007 03:02 PM

"On further reflection I can see that I should immediately begin planning ...."

Could you suggest the same thing to my wife too? She might go for it if I promised to get rid of my entertainment system and all the CDs too (wicked good idea vet66).

Posted by: Mark In Irvine at March 29, 2007 03:13 PM

And men wonder why we drink.

Posted by: Cassandra at March 29, 2007 03:28 PM

...oh, and Grim, I believe I just won our longstanding argument about why women do 'these things'.

Posted by: Cassandra at March 29, 2007 03:29 PM

If a woman's large breasts don't sag and jiggle a little, they're fake. And trust me, big boobs aren't all they're cracked up to be. They get in the way, it makes it really hard to find clothes that fit (if they fit the boobs, they don't seem to fit anywhere else), the appropriate bras are exorbitantly expenses compared to what smaller-breasted women have to pay... I'm sure I could think of other drawbacks, but I'm also sure you men probably aren't too concerned about those drawbacks...

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at March 29, 2007 03:40 PM

that would be "expensive", not "expenses"...

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at March 29, 2007 03:41 PM

"They get in the way..."

Do you want me to hold that for you?

Posted by: Mark In Irvine at March 29, 2007 03:59 PM

"If a woman's large breasts don't sag and jiggle a little, they're fake."

The missus and I have discussed this:
Me: "How can you tell they're fake?"
She: "If those things stand up by themselves, they're fake."
Me: "Oh! Cool!"

And yes, I hear they are bad for the back too ... and sometimes require reduction surgery ...

Posted by: Mark In Irvine at March 29, 2007 04:03 PM

'it makes it really hard to find clothes that fit (if they fit the boobs, they don't seem to fit anywhere else), the appropriate bras are exorbitantly expenses compared to what smaller-breasted women have to pay' ... me thinks this couple isn't too worried about saving a few bucks.

Posted by: Frodo at March 29, 2007 04:22 PM

Yes Mark, that's true. I had a friend in high school who had reduction surgery for that reason, and a relative who is going to have it too as soon as she's done having children. For that matter, I'm hardly overendowed, but I didn't much care for it when I was nursing. I hated going out in public when the whether was warm because I didn't really care for the way a lot of men stared at my chest. It was just incredibly rude. I wasn't used to that since normally I didn't have that problem and it was also very uncomfortable. And I wasn't even a D cup, so I can't imagine what it must be like to be really huge.

I could never have a boob job for someone else. I don't see how I could ever feel good about myself knowing I wasn't good enough for someone the way I was - that I had to have myself cut up to be acceptable. You don't see men doing that.

I may not be the smartest or most attractive person on the face of the earth, but I wouldn't want to be with someone who would endanger my health for something like that.

Posted by: Cassandra at March 29, 2007 04:42 PM

Posted by: Grim at March 29, 2007 06:32 PM

...that I had to have myself cut up to be acceptable. You don't see men doing that.

You must have a wonderful spam filter.

Posted by: Grim at March 29, 2007 06:50 PM

By the way, I would like to point out that I thought you'd meant for us to mock the guy's suit and shirt. It never occurred to me that we were meant to mock the lady.

Posted by: Grim at March 29, 2007 06:59 PM

I'm not mocking anybody, Grim. I am deep in thought as to whether such things create their own gravity pull on the Moon.

Posted by: spd rdr at March 29, 2007 07:25 PM

Well, actually if you look at the statistics, women go under the knife in far greater numbers: 77% of facial cosmetic surgery (and when men get it, interestingly the #1 reason is to stay competitive at work).

Posted by: Cassandra at March 29, 2007 07:29 PM

"... the way a lot of men stared ...."

My eldest son's girlfriend (early acceptance at Columbia, this fall, in case you were wondering) wears a t-shirt with the following emblazoned across the chest, under an arrow: "My eyes are up here".

"Yeah right. I have yet to see a single woman convinced to do anything at all by Mark's arguments. :)"

Oooh - ouch that's hurts my fragile male ego ...

"... spam filter ...."

We really didn't need to see that.

Posted by: Mark In Irvine at March 29, 2007 07:39 PM

"I may not be the smartest or most attractive person on the face of the earth ... "

C'mon now, Cassie - we've read your bio, and seen you pic, and you have all of us eating out of your hand ...

Posted by: Mark In Irvine at March 29, 2007 07:42 PM

"Well, actually if you look at the statistics, women go under the knife in far greater numbers: 77% of facial cosmetic surgery (and when men get it, interestingly the #1 reason is to stay competitive at work)"

I'd bet the mens' stats are higher in the LA area; fortunately, with MY good looks, I don't feel the need to ... [ha ha ha]

Posted by: Mark In Irvine at March 29, 2007 07:46 PM

"... spam filter ...."

We really didn't need to see that.
Posted by: Mark In Irvine

We are in agreement, Mark. No, "convincing," was needed, however! **wink**

Posted by: JannyMae at March 29, 2007 07:50 PM

We really didn't need to see that.

I would have thought "spam filter" would have been a strong enough warning. :)

Posted by: Grim at March 29, 2007 07:51 PM

" ... a strong enough warning."

That wasn't a warning; it was an attractive nuisance.

Posted by: Mark In Irvine at March 29, 2007 07:58 PM

Actually that picture, such as it is, is up there to keep impressionable folks from confusing the blog princess with that young thing at the top of her home page. Because I ain't even close.

I'm going to be a grandmother this winter, and it can't happen soon enough as far as I'm concerned.

Posted by: Cassandra at March 29, 2007 08:14 PM

Congratulations! Félicitations! Herzlichen Glückwünche! Chook-ha-hamnida! ¡Enhorabuena! Parabéns! Mazel Tov! to the Blog Princess. I hear that grandchildren are good - I should only be so lucky as to have grandchildren - my kids are still teens, and I don't want grandkids so bad that I'm in favor of my kids breeding just yet ...

Posted by: Mark In Irvine at March 29, 2007 08:30 PM

[English! French! German!(natürlich) Korean! Spanish! Portuguese! Yiddish!]

Posted by: Mark In Irvine at March 29, 2007 10:22 PM

I bought my wife breast implants a few months ago. I plan on giving them to her just as soon as I'm done playing with 'em....

Anon.