« Brett Barboursville and the Case of the Hairy Egyptian | Main | Merry Christmas »

October 17, 2007

As you may have surmised, I am no longer blogging. When I left on September 20th, I had written nearly 3000 posts. I had deleted them all this week, but a discussion with a few friends convinced me to leave a few behind for now, at least.

I am not sure they represent my best work but they are posts I am not ashamed to call my own, and if you have never visited here before they may give you some idea of what this place was about. Or... not :)

Be advised - since I have deleted the rest of the posts on this site, the connecting links at the top of each page will not work.

At any rate, enjoy.

KerryWatch: in which the Blog Princess lampoons the foibles of the Junior Senator from Massachusetts in a style reminiscent of Genghis Khan.

Battle of the Sexes archive

Tributes to the Fallen: you may have to scroll down here. I wrote an awful lot of these but I was not good about putting them into a folder. I will be adding to this over time.

The Boys of Summer is my favorite.

Where Are The Heroes?
: Captain Brian Chontosh, 1st Sergeant Justin D. Lehew, Corporal Jason Dunham, Staff Sgt. Robert Whisenant.

Sgt. Peralta: A Marine's Marine

And At Night I Dream Of You: a tribute to Lydia Estelle Bravo, killed on 9/11

Gregorio Manuel, written by my dear friend Carrie Costantini. Gregorio was also killed on 9/11.

***************

American Dummitude

Democracy, The Glorious Dream

Faith and Commitment

Posted by Cassandra at October 17, 2007 07:48 PM

Comments

:sniff:

Well, as long as we can still find you at Milblogs and PJM (and in email!), I'll be happy. :)

Posted by: Beth at October 17, 2007 11:00 PM

They've been together now for eighteen years
And every growin' pain has led them here
She's packed up that last box in her old Chevrolet
Her mama says Tennessee seems so far away
And it's the first time she's seen her daddy cry.

But everybody's gotta go sometime
Everbody's gotta cross that line
Even though goodbye won't come easy
Leave a little bit of love behind
It takes a lot of faith to find
The strength to walk away freely
Everybody's gotta go sometime.

...
All we really know for sure is nothing stays the same
Don't be frightened by the winds of change.

But everybody's gotta go sometime
Everbody's gotta cross that line
Even though goodbye won't come easy
Leave a little bit of love behind
It takes a lot of faith to find
The strength to walk away freely
Everybody's gotta go sometime.

Everybody's gotta go sometime.
Everybody's gotta go sometime...

--Terri Clark

It was one helluva ride, wasn't it, my friend? A helluva ride, indeed. No finer company could I keep than those who called themselves Villainous (itinerate eskimos notwithstanding).

Thank you, for all you said.....and all you didn't (sorely tempted as you were).
0>;~}

Posted by: Sly2017 at October 18, 2007 06:07 PM

I'm glad you left up the 9/11 tribute...it's one of the best, out of quite a few excellent choices.

See you 'round "Da Blogosphere"...

Posted by: camojack at October 19, 2007 01:25 AM

You are about 150 posts short for my preference. How are we supposed to make a book out this this small sampling?

Posted by: KJ at October 19, 2007 11:39 AM

You are funny, KJ.

That is what my husband and son are always after me to do. But who would read it?

One thing is for sure -- I never do seem to run out of words, do I? More's the pity. :p

Posted by: Cassandra at October 19, 2007 11:56 AM

I bought Ott's book. 4 times. And gave them as gifts. I'd buy yours, too. Though I would expect an autographed copy from you.

Posted by: KJ at October 19, 2007 03:31 PM

First of all, I would never charge a friend for a book.

Posted by: Cassandra at October 19, 2007 04:38 PM

I hope that at some point in time you've put them all back, or at least most of them. The world needs good snarkiness, it brings smiles to those who've seen too much of the real world.

(As I told someone earlier this week, "I'm not depressed, I have too much contact with the real world, and mirror it.")

Posted by: htom at October 19, 2007 04:58 PM

Oooowe-kayyyy, *now* who do we googlebomb for "rampant dumbassery on roller skates" and "Midol drip"?

Posted by: BillT at October 19, 2007 06:51 PM

Not to mention 'stuffed marmoset by parcel post' and other dimwitticisms.

Posted by: Cassandra at October 19, 2007 07:48 PM

Be nice or I'll log into the Castle and stun you all senseless with one of my infamous post-feminist estrogen-laced rants :p

I haven't had a drink (or anything else even vaguely entertaining) in weeks. At my age, all this clean living is freaking unhealthy.

My *&^%$ skin is glowing in the dark.

Posted by: Cassandra at October 19, 2007 07:53 PM

//First of all, I would never charge a friend for a book.

And second, if I ever do write a book, you will get the first autographed copy :)//

Hey! What the hell am I? Chopped liveredterrier?

Seriously, I would hope that the years of VC's voluminous chatter would get discreetly deposited within the confines of an appropriately gated cyber-community of friends. What we said, and what we wished we hadn't said, are still our words and thoughts. I, for one, am not ashamed of my typos or brain fades.

If our kids, as they will, someday question the propriety of our reasoning, then at least they might have accessto the unexpurged cyber-history of what of of us have said. Whatever we meant to say, or what we wished we had said, or why we didn't say it earlier, is their's to deconstruct.

History is a beautiful thing when well documented.

Or poof!

Rejection

Posted by: spd rdr at October 19, 2007 08:05 PM

mr rdr:

When, in the long, checkered history of our association, have you *ever* known me to refuse a friend anything, if I knew about it?

Yeah... I thought so :p

I m, hwvr, nt a mnd rdr, even after years of unsuccessfully trying to navigate the uncharted depths of the male mind without a roap map or directions... not to mention the vaguaries of some people's typing :)

If I don't go around assuming people want things, neither would I ever refuse a reasonable request. It's just that certain things don't occur to me, that's all. I have a long history of taking things more to heart than other people, so I don't automatically assume things that mean a lot to me, mean a lot to others.

Posted by: Cassandra at October 19, 2007 08:38 PM

Well, okay then.

Does this mean I win?

Posted by: spd rdr at October 19, 2007 10:46 PM

One of these days I am going to trip you and take away your Tootsie Pop, mr rdr...

Since I have never met you and most likely never will, I have not worked out the exact details of this yet. Fortunately I am extremely resourceful :p

Let's just say you haven't lost yet. I never give up until I find out how much it's going to cost me.

Posted by: Cassandra at October 19, 2007 11:00 PM

Have you considered assembling your best (favorite) posts and publishing them? I'd love to have a bound copy in my library.

I hope you're enjoying life!

Pogue

Posted by: Pogue at October 19, 2007 11:06 PM

My husband has told me for years that I should do that, Pogue. And I have told him about a million times that it would be a waste of time because I really didn't think anybody would be interested. I only saved my posts because I knew he would be angry with me if I didn't, and because my son had asked me several months ago to put some of my favorite posts together for him. They don't read my site so they really haven't read any of my writing.

Besides, my husband says I never listen to him, and that isn't true. I did save everything because he asked me to. I saved everything when I left Jet Noise too. He wanted me to have that bound into a book but I have never done anything with it.

I will think on it.

Posted by: Cassandra at October 19, 2007 11:24 PM

Cassandra--I only found you this past spring on Nobel Laureate Al Gore's World Wide Web (at least he did something right). And now you're gone. A book of your best posts would let me read all that I missed, in a format ideal for those spare minutes here and and there, that grace us with reading time.

Posted by: old school lady at October 20, 2007 08:52 AM

Ahhmmmm. In the spirit of public service I request a point of clarification for the record, if I may...

Monsieur Gore, AKA Bubba's ChiCom-Buddhist buddies bagman, co-founded DOPA (with Max Smart-Agent 86) not DARPA. The internet (actually it was called the ARPAnet back in the day, long before Al was a cub reporter) was for all intents, invented by the collection of minds working within ARPA... FWIW.

Aside: Speaking of the record, would not this blogs archives be a grand string of digital encoding for future archaeologists to unearth? The future Truther's Rosetta Stone. heheheh

And contrary to what some would have us believe, Al did not negotiate a peace with the globe's climate either. Just to squelch that rumor before it gets started.

P.S. I too am hoping that (as Mr. Rdr so eloquently stated)

"VC's voluminous chatter would get discreetly deposited within the confines of an appropriately gated cyber-community of friends"
while Milady works on the idea of placing said snark and wisdom into a hide-bound volume of reference material for future generations of snarkists and oracles. If for no other reason,
For the Children©.

With respect,

Posted by: bthun at October 20, 2007 09:59 AM

*sigh*

It's a lawyer thing, isn't it? You three knuckleheads exist to drink up the world's supply of beer and feed each other lines... :p

Posted by: Cassandra at October 20, 2007 11:29 AM

Cass,
Glad to see you "back" even if it for a hit and run. As for the book, you could put together some of your posts like Bill Whittle did...I even think he updated them for his book.
Peace Thru Power,
Sluggo

Posted by: Sluggo at October 20, 2007 01:32 PM

It only counts if I win, Princess.

Please.

Posted by: spr rdr at October 21, 2007 12:31 AM

You always win, counselor.

You know that, and I know that :p
That is why you are you.

Posted by: Cassandra at October 21, 2007 01:12 AM

It's never over - one way or the other. You had some fine things to say - and said 'em well - and maybe the writing bug will bite again.

Leave the archives up - as much as you can. There are people wandering around all the time who could use a breath of fresh air now and again. And there are a lot of bookmarks sitting around gathering dust, that people are going to wonder "I wonder what she's up to now?".

Meanwhile, I'll look for you on P-J Media.

Posted by: ZZMike at October 22, 2007 04:40 PM

Cass, I looked most carefully, but failed to find the "Best of" AFE archives anywhere on this site. I am sure that this was merely an oversight, given your recent weariness and elevated stress levels. Please advise when you will restore those posts to their former glory; for the edification of the masses, and for posterity, you understand.

Perhaps a prominent spot at the top would do, with a flashing banner above it pointing to the link, something subtle yet elegant. I'm sure you'll manage just the right touch.:)

Posted by: a former european at October 26, 2007 06:16 AM

You know, that might just be the thing that would make me want to write a book, afe - I could see wanting to bring out some of the brilliance of VC commenters, along with some of the hilarious contest entries we've had over the years :p

Posted by: Cassandra at October 26, 2007 06:51 AM

The Wall Of Shame hasn't been torn down? I put up a caption over at Vinnie's...you will recognize my name. I was stunned, as I haven't looked at his site in over a month, and then just whipped one off the top of my head.

AFE, good taste and subtelty are hallmarks of VC.
I am sure an elegant solution will be found.

Posted by: Cricket at October 27, 2007 06:48 AM

Cassandra, I'm surely going to miss you here. A lot.

Posted by: Jimmie at October 28, 2007 08:42 PM

I miss you guys too, Jimmie :)

Posted by: Cassandra at October 29, 2007 10:11 AM

I still miss you Cassie. I hippolinked to you many (ok--about 5) times at Discarded Lies. I am guessing that somebody as capable as you at creating incandescent rants will feel the whatever rising in your gastrointestinal tract again.

And my best to your lucky husband.

p.s. And I will most definitely buy your book. (counting giveaways, several copies)

Posted by: levi from queens at October 29, 2007 02:09 PM

Great site!

Would you consider a Link Exchange with The Internet Radio Network? At the IRN you can listen for free to over 40 of America's top listened to Talk Shows worldwide via FREE STREAMING AUDIO!

Posted by: Steve at October 29, 2007 10:58 PM

I hippolinked to you many (ok--about 5) times...

That made me laugh out loud, Levi :) Thanks for making me smile (and for reading).

Posted by: Cassandra at October 30, 2007 01:44 PM

Last night I carved the eyes out of a pumpkin, and yet no one wept.

Posted by: spd rdr like clone at November 1, 2007 04:40 PM

The notion that mr rdr has a clone running around makes for a truly scary bedtime story. Now, no one is safe from the snark :p

Posted by: Insane Clone Posse at November 2, 2007 09:16 AM

It's a shame...you are very interesting and fun..and though I surely didnt always agree,at least in my old menopausal age I am looking and listening to those I once considered the enemy,lol...so,yes,I would also spring for a book probably iffen ya ever did it...take care

Posted by: Deb at November 9, 2007 07:26 PM

I think that is one of the most heartening things I have read in 4 years on the Internet, Deb. I never pretended to be right about everything.

Or even most things.

To me a blog is mostly a conversation. You throw ideas there to find out whether they are any good. Sometimes, even to find out what you think as stories develop. We are wrestling with history. It is arrogant to believe we will always get it right. I believe passionately in certain things, in certain moral precepts. But their application to events in constant motion is always uncertain.

I did my best to apply them faithfully and consistently, but to paraphrase one of my favorite passages from the Bible we are peering through a glass, darkly. Thanks so much for looking with me.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 11, 2007 09:12 PM

Please come back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I miss your unique view on all things.

Posted by: GM Cassel,AMH1(AW),USN,RET at November 21, 2007 12:12 AM

I miss you all, too. More than I can say.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 23, 2007 07:31 PM

Let me be the first to wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

I sure do miss your blog Cassie, and all the witty commenters.

It is nice to see you pop up on other blogs though.

Cheers, Will

Posted by: unkawill at December 3, 2007 08:21 PM

I hope you have a very Merry Christmas too, Will. The holidays would be cheerless indeed without the company of old friends.

Posted by: Cassandra at December 4, 2007 08:03 AM

Merry Christmas, so sorry to see you are gone.

I missed you.

Take care.

Posted by: purple raider at December 5, 2007 02:31 AM

Hey, Purple :)

Merry Christmas, my old friend. Say hello to Mrs. Purple for me.

Posted by: Cassandra at December 5, 2007 10:54 AM