« Snowball Fight! | Main | What Was Your First Clue? »

December 25, 2007

Merry Christmas

And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be taxed. And all went to be taxed, every one into his own city. And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:) To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child. And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered. And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.

And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them,

Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.

And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,

Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

And it came to pass, as the angels were gone away from them into heaven, the shepherds said one to another, Let us now go even unto Bethlehem, and see this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto us. And they came with haste, and found Mary, and Joseph, and the babe lying in a manger. And when they had seen it, they made known abroad the saying which was told them concerning this child. And all they that heard it wondered at those things which were told them by the shepherds. But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart.

This is what I like to wake up to, Christmas morning, as I turn the Christmas tree lights on before everyone is awake and prepare everything for the family to awake. To me, it's the most beautiful sound in the world - when I hear it every year, I know that moment of happiness that tells me everything is as it should be.

May the peace and joy of Christmas fill your hearts. I may have more to say later if I can find the time, but for now, I'll just say Merry Christmas, and thank you for bringing so much warmth and laughter into my life.

Posted by Cassandra at December 25, 2007 09:21 AM

Comments

Happy birthday baby Jesus.
Make a wish for us.

Posted by: spd rdr at December 25, 2007 10:51 AM

Merry Christmas Cass,

I'm enjoying your musical offerings!

We've been reminiscing about our Christmases over the years, and looking at pictures of them. I thought we spent most of our Christmases at home, but there is photographic proof of Christmas in Nebraska, Alaska, Singapore, Idaho, Arizona, Canada, Saudi Arabia, and more.

Singapore was fun - started shopping at about 3 pm on Christmas Eve, having just arrived from Malaysia, but managed to find a one-foot-tall lighted tree, and wrap and hide all those presents (in a hotel room)! They magically appeared under the tree to surprise the lads for Christmas morning.

One Arizona Christmas was great fun, the entire family stuffed into one house for Christmas morning and Christmas dinner, lots of traipsing around with brother, sisters, and a herd of cousins, going to movies, hiking, climbing red rocks. Another Arizona Christmas was mostly for my Mom's 80th birthday. MathMan was getting very near the end of his life without a new heart, but he wanted to go because it was important. We had to bring him home in a wheelchair, and didn't know if he would make it. Three months later the pager went off, and he's still with us this morning, looking like a guy more in need of a diet than a guy who was so frail his sons had to help him onto the plane.

God is good, and gave me not just a living husband, but he gave us all the wonderful gift of his son, to help us through our lives and remove the fear of death by giving us the promise of eternal life with him.

Merry Christmas, Villainous Companions!

Posted by: MathMom at December 25, 2007 11:04 AM

Merry Christmas!

Posted by: Fausta at December 25, 2007 11:05 AM

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Cass! And to all who visit here :-)

Posted by: Barb at December 25, 2007 11:26 AM

Peace on earth and mercy mild,
God and sinners reconciled.

Posted by: Foxfier at December 25, 2007 06:39 PM

Cass & Co.,
May your blessings be apparent and your sadnesses few. Keep the faith and never forget that this life is just a passing phase.

Joy and Fulfillment to you all,
William

Posted by: William at December 25, 2007 07:25 PM

"Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
'God is not dead nor doth He sleep!
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
With peace on earth, goodwill to men.'"

Posted by: Cricket at December 26, 2007 12:04 AM

Fruliche Weinachten(German)
I would like to say Merry Christmas to all people who can read this. I stumbled upon this site, and decided to read the excerps. I almost wept when I read what Cassandra wrote in an earlier post. It is what I hear every time I watch " A Charlie Brown Christmas". Those words are very powerful,and I truely believe in them.
Any-way
Merry Christmas and I hope that evryone's lives are better this year!!!!!!!

Posted by: Gary Barnett at December 26, 2007 01:38 AM

Merry Christmas Cass and welcome back. May the Lord grant you and your family a joyous new year!

We did miss you.

Posted by: Curtis at December 26, 2007 03:16 AM

Merry Christmas!

Posted by: German Voice at December 26, 2007 09:39 AM

God is indeed good MathMom.

Many of our most memorable Christmases have been spent far from home too. This one was no different. A lot of little mishaps and chaos and through it all (at least for me) a great gaping hole in the form of my husband being so far away. It can never truly be Christmas for me without him there. He is like my other half. As blessed as I felt to be with my sons (and that was huge), there were a million times when my heart ached to see him just for an instant. But, that is just a temporary inconvenience, and soon solved :) If anything, it reminds me of how fortunate I have been all these years.

I can't help thinking it's not a bad thing, every once in a while, to be reminded of what you have, and how very awful it would be to lose it. So many people cruise through life without stopping to appreciate how lucky they are. So even that made Christmas better.

Posted by: Cassandra at December 26, 2007 10:19 AM

Merry Christmas, Cass. All the blessings of the season to you and yours.

Posted by: MaryAnn at December 26, 2007 11:58 AM