« The Real Religious Test | Main | Home For Christmas »

December 17, 2007

Monday Lyrics

And it’s hard to go down easy;
And it’s hard to keep from cryin’;
And it’s hard to lose a lover
In the early part of autumn.

I know Dan Fogelburg wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but when I was a young girl I owned every one of his albums. His guitar playing was gentle and lyrical, and I could put one of his records on the turntable when I was studying and just drift away to the sound of his music.

Rest in peace, and thanks for all the memories.

Guitar Etude #3

Sutter's Mill

Posted by Cassandra at December 17, 2007 10:18 AM

Comments

The Leader of the Band was a great comfort to me long ago when I was separated from my father by oceans and by words unsaid. I got a chance to fix it in time, but hearing that song again today tugged pretty hard.

Goodbye, Mr. Folgelburg, and thanks.

Posted by: MathMom at December 17, 2007 05:11 PM

When I was younger I thought that song was pretty sappy - the oversaturation on the radio probably didn't help much. Years later, I heard it while driving and realized what a beautiful tribute it was to his father. I just didn't have the ability to appreciate it when I was younger.

Posted by: Cassandra at December 17, 2007 06:00 PM

His music was an integral part of my listening choices in and after high school. "Longer" was the first piece of sheet music I bought for my guitar. I put "Leader of the Band" on a cassette of favorite songs for my Dad one year for Christmas. And I can't begin to explain the places that "Auld Lang Syne" takes me.

RIP Dan, Heaven's choir has gained what we have lost.

Posted by: Sly2017 at December 17, 2007 06:59 PM

Youth is wasted on the young with lyrics from Dan Fogelburg intruding on their noisy lives.

Dan touched anybody who took the time to listen.

Peace!

Posted by: vet66 at December 18, 2007 11:44 AM

'Longer' was our wedding song.

And my son who was born in Kentucky has the nickname 'Thoroughbred' because of 'Run For The Roses.'

I loved his music and his lyrics and they touched me and mine.

Rest in peace...indeed. You were called home to inspire others.

Posted by: Cricket at December 23, 2007 09:00 PM