« Snowfall | Main | Question Of The Day »

January 18, 2008

Favorite Childhood Cartoons

Yesterday on the frog post the Princess posted a link to Froggy Evening. This was one of her all-time favorite cartoons when she was a chubby-cheeked urchin. It used to tickle her pink when the frog got up and strutted across the stage, singing "Hello my baby, hello my darling, hello my ragtime gal....". She couldn't wait for the moment when someone would finally show up to see him, and the frog would collapse into a limp pile of amphibian.

Bthun's comment on that post (and something else she is working on) got the Princess thinking about favorite childhood cartoons. Another of hers is The Rabbit of Seville. After all these years, it still makes her laugh hysterically.

I used to cut both my boys' hair when they were growing up, and (predictably) they squirmed quite a bit because I was very picky about how I did it, and it took a while. One of the things I used to do to distract them was hum the music and massage their scalps like Bugs does in the haircut scene from The Rabbit of Seville. Never failed to get a belly laugh out of them.

Little boys are so much fun - there is no better sound in life than hearing them laugh out loud. I liked Foghorn Leghorn and Daffy Duck, too. What were some of your favorite cartoons?

Update:

WTF???

You are Tweety.

You are cute, and everyone loves you. You are a best friend that
no one takes the chance of losing. You never hurt feelings and
seldom have your own feelings hurt. Life is a breeze. You are
witty, and calm most of the time. Just keep clear of back stabbers,
and you are worry-free.

Posted by Cassandra at January 18, 2008 08:19 AM

Comments

I like Fairly Oddparents, the Shrek movies........oh, you mean back then. Well, there was The Tick and Thundercats......did you mean when I was a younger Sly? Well, heck, I love the same ones you mentioned (remind me something to tell you about the kid on the fire crew who used to beat out fire spots to the tune of "Kill the Wabbit") but surely (no, I didn't just call you Shirley.) you watched the Flintstones, Scooby Doo and the Super Friends. Yes?

Posted by: Sly2017 at January 18, 2008 12:58 PM

And Rocky and Bullwinkle. And The Pink Panther. Can't forget them.

Posted by: Sly2017 at January 18, 2008 01:00 PM

i must be really young.

Posted by: sir jorge at January 18, 2008 01:02 PM

Well you do not need to rub it in... punk :)

I loved Space Ghost.

And Johnny Quest - I used to watch that every day when I got home from school. And (God help me) Kimba the White Lion, when we lived in Philadelphia. I must have been in 3rd grade then.

Posted by: Cass at January 18, 2008 01:08 PM

Roadrunner, hands down. Also Dudley Do-Right.

Posted by: MathMom at January 18, 2008 01:16 PM

Road Runner - a favorite if only to watch my dad dissolve into a puddle of fits & laughter at their antics. I swear he loved that cartoon more than we did.

Pink Panther - purely classic.

Speed Racer - Japanese anime before anyone knew it existed.

Posted by: Kris, in New England at January 18, 2008 02:08 PM

There is no substitute for the enduring and unending saga of good vs. evil, and by that I mean, the Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote.

As an adult, I enjoyed the biting irony and subtle sarcasm of "Freakzoid!", which alas, is no more. And "Pinky and the Brain", which the catch line was "one is a genius, the other is insane". Which sorta describes Cassandra and Pile On. :)

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at January 18, 2008 03:04 PM

I am *not* insane! :)

Posted by: Cass at January 18, 2008 03:25 PM

Besides, I'm older than Pile! That should count for something, shouldn't it???

Posted by: Huh??? at January 18, 2008 03:27 PM

All good ones... Did anyone mention Mr. Peabody? Fractured Fairy Tales? And I might add King of the Hill, Cow and Chicken, as a couple of my favorites during this, my second, ok make that third childhood.

In the category of best supporting character...[envelope please] it's Yosemite Sam!

Posted by: Sherman at January 18, 2008 03:38 PM

James Carville barely lost to Yosemite... Not your turn yet James, hang in there. I hear there is another Hobbit movie in the works.

Posted by: Sherman at January 18, 2008 03:44 PM

Don't forget our first smarmy french lesson from none other than Pepe Le Pew! I think Pepe's lips were the precursor to Chirac kissing Laura Bush's hand as his lips wandered up her bare arm. Her expression was right out of looney tunes! Too funny.

Posted by: vet66 at January 18, 2008 04:51 PM

Fractured Fariy Tales.

You are Tweety.

You are cute, and everyone loves you. You are a best friend that
no one takes the chance of losing. You never hurt feelings and
seldom have your own feelings hurt. Life is a breeze. You are
witty, and calm most of the time. Just keep clear of back stabbers,
and you are worry-free.

One answer's difference will make you the amorous skunk without the smell.

Heh. I am not telling

Posted by: Cricket at January 18, 2008 04:52 PM

I think it's rigged. It says I'm Tweety, too. Ain't that hilarious!

*rolling eyes*
Thanks, Cricket.

Now I'm gonna spend the rest of the night going through that damn test to see which one it is! I can hear it now......
Friend/Family: "So, what'd you do this weekend?"
Me: "Oh, not much.....spent most of Friday night trying to make myself turn out a skunk on an internet test. What'd you do?
Yeah.
Thanks, Cricket.
'preciate that.
0>;~}

Posted by: Sly2017 at January 18, 2008 05:38 PM

Well, I do know that after I took it, I went back and changed the profession to Policeman (which is what I wanted to be when I first got married, but is not what I would want to be now).

I turned out to be Bugs Bunny, then.

Too funny. I then changed the only other one of my answers that I was in the least conflicted about and also changed to Bugs. These tests are very odd.

But those answers both reflected more who I was when I was (much) younger, not who I am now. As I believe I said on another thread, another blog, having kids changes you.

A lot.

Posted by: Cass at January 18, 2008 05:47 PM

Popeye.
I yam what I yam.

Posted by: spd rdr at January 18, 2008 06:06 PM

Rocky and Bullwinkle.

Posted by: Mark at January 18, 2008 06:16 PM

Oh! Thanks, Don. How could I have forgotten The Animaniacs!

"...having kids changes you."
Sista, you just said a mouthful.

Posted by: Sly2017 at January 18, 2008 06:24 PM

Boris and Natasha

Posted by: Sloan at January 18, 2008 07:06 PM

All the Warner Brothers cartoons were much more entertaining than the Disney ones. They had a more cynical outlook on life that tickled my fancy.

Posted by: Sloan at January 18, 2008 07:07 PM

Helllloooooooooo Nurse! :©)

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at January 18, 2008 07:37 PM

Posted by: Dr. ScratchNsniff at January 18, 2008 08:26 PM

Well I dunno, I like that there Dora cartoon girl. She's so funny and all, the way she looks out at ya, big brown eyes that just make you feel like your not watching some cartoon character that is so much smarter than you are, it's an easy comfortable feeling. Then the little dear will ask for your help to find something. Like a mountain. Which is humorously right next to her.

Sheesh, that is some funny.

Posted by: Slow On at January 18, 2008 08:43 PM

I am suprised that no one has said the Flintstones, Jetsons, Or Yogi Bear!

Posted by: unkawill at January 18, 2008 09:50 PM

Definitely Popeye. To this day, when M’Lady and I are working in the kitchen if one asks for the olive oil the other replies “OOOOOHHHHHHHHH Popeye!”.

Posted by: Country Squire at January 18, 2008 10:29 PM

Well I dunno, I like that there Dora cartoon girl.

Watch it, Buster ;p

I always got a kick out of watching Popeye open that can of spinach with his pipe and wind up his fist to punch the daylights out of Bluto.

When I was little spinach was my favorite vegetable, though I don't think I ever ate it out of a can :p

Posted by: Big Brown Eyes at January 18, 2008 10:48 PM

Definitely the old Warner Bros. cartoons were the best, especially Daffy Duck and Yosemite Sam (not so much Roadrunner, they all seemed the same). Also liked Popeye, Tom & Jerry and Woody Woodpecker. Never could stomach the cheaply animated cartoons that began in the late '50s with Huckleberry Hound and Yogi Bear, and, later, The Flintstones, etc.

Posted by: Suds46 at January 18, 2008 10:54 PM

Cassandra,

WTF is right. I think that quiz might be rigged. I took it and also came up as Tweety. I sent a link to an old friend in Oregon and he came up Tweety as well. I can't imagine that all three of us are that similar.

Posted by: Suds46 at January 18, 2008 11:12 PM

Not rigged.

You are Peppe le Pew (without the smell).

You are a lover. Romance, flowers, and wine are all you need to enjoy yourself. You are serious about all commitments. A family person. You call your Mom every Sunday, and never forget a Birthday. Don't let your passion for romance get confused with the real thing.

Posted by: FbL at January 19, 2008 12:45 AM

I was "interpreted" as Tweety too. I hate Tweety.

DEATH TO TWEETY!!!

Posted by: camojack at January 19, 2008 01:40 AM

Space Angel

Posted by: Flatlander at January 19, 2008 08:14 AM

Hmmm... This quiz is suspect indeed. It pegged me as Peppe when I've always considered myself about as romantic as a Massey Ferguson.

Ah well, as long as Walkin' Boss is good with that, I'm fine.

Posted by: bthun at January 19, 2008 08:52 AM

Even though I grew up on Bugs, Yosemite Sam, Bullwinkle, etc, my ALL TIME FAVORITE......Cow Chicken! (Never have anything in your mouth when viewing.)

Posted by: 'Uigi at January 19, 2008 10:36 AM

Bless you for mentioning "The Rabbit of Seville."

"Hare-Way to the Stars" is another classic. Remember Marvin the Martian's Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator?

Posted by: Patrick at January 19, 2008 02:44 PM

I like Daffy Duck, too. Especially when his beak goes all backwards.

Posted by: Big Brown Eyes at January 19, 2008 03:11 PM

Dexter's Lab. And that one about the home for imaginary friends.

Warner Bros. cartoons are the best. My favorite was Bugs Bunny doing Red Riding Hood as the Rabbit in Red.

Sly, the one question is the music one. If you like classical music and romantic movies, you are LePew. change either one are you are Tweedy.

Posted by: Cricket at January 19, 2008 05:03 PM

I used to LOVE Dexter's lab!

And some of Invader Zim.
And the Powerpuff Girls. I had Buttercup on my desktop in my office when I first started work. I was the badass Powerpuff girl.

Posted by: Big Brown Eyes at January 19, 2008 06:50 PM

I too loved "Froggy Evening" (did anybody else catch the homage paid to it in "Spaceballs"?) Along with the "Rabbit of Seville". I also loved all the Bugs/Daffy/Elmer hunting cartoons. Don't forget Daffy before he became Bugs' straight man.
I also have to add Mighty Mouse, Alvin and Space Ghost.

Posted by: J Rob at January 22, 2008 07:16 AM

"What's Opera, Doc?"

It's probably on YouTube, but I can't look for it now. If you're an opera fan, it's a crackup. There's Elmer Fudd being one of the Valkyries with "Kill the Wab-b-it!!"

It's great going through the comments and remembering all those old-time greats. Long live Chuck Jones!!! (On screen, at least.)

Posted by: ZZMike at January 22, 2008 04:18 PM

I remember that frog zone on commercials or other cartoons, but I don't think I ever saw the actual feature.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at January 23, 2008 10:09 AM