« The Times Supports Our Brave, Wacky, Murdering Troops! | Main | O-kay... »

January 14, 2008

How We Select Presidential Candidates

Help the Princess test a theory. Take one or both of these tests and then report your results below the fold:

Commentary upcoming.

Posted by Cassandra at January 14, 2008 08:50 AM

Comments

Electoral Compass says Ron Paul, the other says Rudy 64, Bill Richardson 64, McCain 63, Dodd 60. Of those, the only one I can see myself voting for is McCain. Goldwater Republican --> libertarian --> tea tossing liberal. Can I have Thompson - Lieberman, please?

Posted by: htom at January 14, 2008 12:30 PM

#1: Closest to Romney, furthest from Obama (color me surprised - not) And quite literally diametrically opposite to all the Democrat candidates. heh

#2: John McCain with Dennis Kucinich last.

I think I liked the format for the first one best. Simple statements about which you set your level of agreement or disagreement. The second one has the feeling of ulterior motives between the wording of the answers you have to choose from as well as the number of available choices for each question. I also find interesting the way the quiz is set up. Who's agenda determined which issues' questions needed up to four choices for an answer, while other equally weighty issues only provides for one of two choices - essentially, "Yea" or "Nay"? Also, the "How Much Do You Care About This Issue?" barometer at the bottom of each question is meaningless given the scripted choices for answers.

Posted by: Sly2017 at January 14, 2008 12:59 PM

#1: I'm down their by Romney and Huckabee (Huck surprised me). I'm to the economic right of all the candidates, no surprise there. I thought I'd be further south on their grid like Fred. Substantive agreement of 81% with both Huck and Fred. 76% with Mitt and 78% with McCain.

#2: 95% Mitt, 90% Fred, 81% McCain and 76% Huck.

Democrat candidates need not apply (something I already knew)

So, what's it all mean?? Somebody tell me quick, the Michigan primary is tomorrow.

Posted by: James at January 14, 2008 01:28 PM

#1 closest to Rudy furthest from B.O. Fred got the highest substantive agreement, with Mitt being right behind Rudy and ahead of Fred overall.

#2 McCain-Feingold, Mitt, Rudy and then the rest of the GOP.

In the interest of accuracy I wish the polls would offer a none of the gob'ment's bid'ness option to all questions. Or what Sly said.

Ya know, I suppose that I could just admit that I'm going to pencil in Newt/Attila on my ballot. A smart-n-pragmatic guy for potus -although his midnight confessions concerning Hillery of late have been pretty unsettling- and a mighty fine dove hunter for v-potus... Ahhh... =;-)

Now if ya'll excuse me, I have to go inspect the distillation unit's condenser core...er, ahhh... I mean the hot water heater, yeah the hot water heater. =8-}

Posted by: bthun at January 14, 2008 01:34 PM

Romney on both (although I like Teh Fred best).

Furthest away from Obmama on the first, Kooky Kucinich on the second.

Posted by: MaryAnn at January 14, 2008 02:02 PM

Ron Paul. Not a surprise. The grid with candidates on the first quiz basically summed it up -- Ron Paul is the only candidate even coming close to wanting more economic and more civil liberties.

Posted by: Fritz at January 14, 2008 04:56 PM

Rudy Guliani on the first one, which maps me as being fairly socially liberal -- only my hardcore gun rights stance, which they are mapping as a social issue, keeps me in the conservative camp. (Those of you who know me may wonder about what that says about the utility of the model.)

I am said to be furthest from Obama, which is probably true.

The second test suggests I'm a McCain man, which I might be if it weren't for his disdain for free speech. A President ought to care about that, if he is to be entrusted with protecting it -- as with all the individual rights, the protection of which are the actual reason for bothering to have a government.

Interestingly, given that Ron Paul is supposedly also a big liberty guy, he barely registers on either test for me. Not sure why.

Obama doesn't fall at the very bottom of this test, but only because of Kucinich and someone called Gravel.

Posted by: Grim at January 15, 2008 12:01 AM

Lower RIGHT. Farthest from Barack Hussein Obama...

Posted by: camojack at January 15, 2008 01:02 AM

Electoral Compass has me closest to McCain, furthest from Obama. However, that's only because they didn't have a question about free speech, which would have distanced me from McCain.

Posted by: wheels at January 15, 2008 08:51 AM

Closest to Romney, furthest from Obama.
It's interesting how many of those questions came out "Definitely agree/disagree". Evidently I'm a middle-of-the-roader only on a few issues.

I really don't understand how Huckabee ends up so close to Romney and Thompson.

Posted by: ZZMike at January 15, 2008 06:02 PM

Closest to Romney and Guliani

I would've thought I matched up better with Thompson, but I can't say I've done a deep investigation of those three. Of what I've heard, I like Guliani the least of those three.
------
On the other one:
70% John McCain
65% Mike Huckabee
65% Ron Paul

LOL, I'd only vote for McCain because he's in the GOP, against a Dem. I don't like a LOT I'm hearing about the other two, so, short of a lot of new and differing info, I don't believe I'd consider either of them. It did manage to figure out that I wouldn't touch Kucinich with a ten-foot pole, though.

Posted by: obloodyhell at January 21, 2008 09:28 AM

Obama's the clear winner here.

Posted by: WhatTheHell? at January 24, 2008 12:36 PM