« The End Is Near! | Main | They Still Do »

January 24, 2008

NYTimesWatch: We're Doomed!, The Game Edition

This is too rich not to mock within an inch of its miserable life:

Obviously, Sept. 11 and its aftermath have changed the country in countless and irretrievable ways. But even beyond the emergence of war and national security as pre-eminent concerns, there has been a profound reordering of domestic priorities, a darkening of the country’s mood and, in the eyes of many, a fraying of America’s very sense of itself.

While not universal, that tone pervaded dozens of interviews conducted over the last week with Americans of all political stripes in 8 of the 24 states that hold primaries or caucuses on Feb. 5, as well as with historians, elected officials, political strategists and poll takers. As the candidates fan out to New York and California and here to the heartland, they are confronting an electorate that is deeply unsettled about the United States’ place in the world and its ability to control its own destiny.

powell.jpg...As she considers this campaign, Susan C. Powell, a 47-year-old training consultant who lives in a Kansas City suburb, said that what she feels is not so much hopelessness as doom.

“I know plenty of people who are doing worse than they were,” Ms. Powell said, “and nobody’s helping them out. People’s incomes are not keeping pace with inflation. People can’t afford their homes. People in their 30s and 40s, middle-income, and they don’t have jobs they can count on or access to health care. How can we say that we’re the greatest country on earth and essentially have the walking wounded?”

24change1.190.jpg

Like many of those interviewed, Robert W. Jennings, a 45-year-old Kansas City landlord who considers himself politically independent, said he thought the stakes were higher than in 2000, when the country last chose new leadership after an eight-year incumbency...

“I used to be master of my universe,” he said from a bar stool at McCoy’s Public House. “Now I work for this soul-less corporation. I used to make the rules. Now I have to follow them.”

“Most of the times I go overseas I say I’m Canadian,” he said. “I just get a better response.”

How has the reckless, arrogant unilateralist Cowboy Bush stolen your cornflakes and wrecked all that remains of your miserable life? Add your own Tale of Woe in the comments section. The winner will receive a Stuffed Marmosett by parcel post.

CWCID: spd rdr

Posted by Cassandra at January 24, 2008 08:38 AM

Comments

The NY Slimes is one of the most ridiculous publications on the planet. There is justice in the world. Times stock is in the toilet

Posted by: Mark at January 24, 2008 11:29 AM

The two pictured in this tale of woe are the tail end of that chunk of love children known as the baby boomers. Having defended the large demographic called the boomer's on more than one occasion and after reading these complaints along with similar drek, I can't help but see why some want to condemn the whole lot of us.

Yup, my parents generation were a tough and resilient lot. Prone to suck it up and scratch their way along, mostly without complaint. Seeking solutions to the challenges of their days instead of blame.

Grim, I think, put a fine point on it in another thread when he said, "Life, properly lived, is very dangerous.". Even for those who seek to avoid danger in the monotony of our modern existence, life has a way of smacking you between the eyes. Instead of looking for a way to blame those trying to mange something darned near unmanageable, we as a nation need to suck it up, figure out what needs to be done and do it.

Was it Winston Churchill who said, if you're going through hell, keep going? Or words to that effect. Seems to me like words to live by.

Oh yeah, Bush forced me to forgo an oil change in one of my vehicles, but he made up for it when he went to the M.E. to speak to the OPEC bandits. There, was that good enough?

Posted by: bthun at January 24, 2008 12:04 PM

I see hell as another Clinton administration
looms large.

But that's just me. Bush is to blame for everything.

Posted by: Cricket at January 24, 2008 12:10 PM

“Once, professional journalists went unchallenged.”

“Now, those arrogant, unwashed rabble bloggers dog our every step - questioning the reliability (nay! even the existence!) of our Anonymous Sources, impugning the integrity of the top secret documents we nobly make available to the enem... err... the general public! I tell you, freedom is under attack. I used to make the laws in this city. Now it's almost as though I'm expected to follow them.”

"That's it. I'm moving to France."

Posted by: Bill Keller at January 24, 2008 12:11 PM

Delta is ready when you are baby! DLTSDHYWTGLSY

Posted by: Lewis Grizzard at January 24, 2008 12:22 PM

Oh yeah, Bill... I'll ask Faust to save you a spot on the spit in the front row, near the fire. You should feel right at home. =;-}

Cordially,

Lewis

Posted by: Lewis Grizzard at January 24, 2008 12:46 PM

For God's sake, people. Enough of this cheerfulness. THINGS ARE BAD AND GETTING WORSE EVERY DAY. It doesn't matter whether you are rich or poor, male or female, conservative or communist, things just suck for you. It doesn't matter whether you live on the beach in Malibu or over a heat vent in Providence because things just suck all over. No one is immune, there is nowhere to hide, and IT'S TOO LATE TO DO ANYTHING BUT COMPLAIN. So ditch the phoney optimism and levity because everything that you've ever worked for or believed in is OVER. You might as well just get used to America's SECOND BILLING IN A ONE-MAN SHOW, because pretty soon we'll all be serving tea to our Chinese overlords. That is, if we're not all too busy hunkering down in the cellar with our families holding off hoards of hungry homeless Mexicans with our what reamains of our Second Amendment Rights. And even if the bank doesn't kick us out of our homes tomorrow, it's only a matter of time before the Saudis cut off the oil and we all have to walk ten miles to the U.N. food drop-off point. So who's going to want to carry all that millet back just to cook it over a wood fire scavenged from an old dining room chair. Forget it. By next Christmas we'll all be living in tents supplied by Hugo Chavez and burning our children's school books to stay warm. Luckily, the winters will probably be too warm to freeze us to death, but after all the lakes dry up in the summer heat, the only way we'll bea ble to slake out thirst is by drinking our own urine or trading the youngest for a double-shot at Fort Starbucks.
So go ahead, laugh your damned fool head off. Me? I'm fattening the dog.

Posted by: spd rdr at January 24, 2008 03:15 PM

Oh, OH YEAH!
Bwaaaahahahahaha
Bwaaaahahahahaha
Bwaaaahahahahaha
Bwaaaahahahahaha

BANG!

Posted by: Bluto Blutarsky at January 24, 2008 03:25 PM

My tale of post 9/11 woe:

Things for me have gone from bad to worse. Sure, I have a 56" HD projection TV, but I couldn't afford the 1080p or the plasma. And what with global warming affecting our normally frigid winter temperatures, all of the time that I thought I'd spend watching it is wasted on outdoor pursuits I would never have considered just a few short years ago.

Bush's economy has simply ruined my job. I'm an IT guy, and all of these new-hires running around, incapable of remembering their damn passwords for more than a few minutes at a time or wanting their new PCs configured is driving me batty.

His disastrous tax cuts have just made things worse at home too. The huge bonuses that I've received for the last few years as the company's business has grown have caused fights of biblical proportions with the wife as we simply cannot agree on vacations to the beach or the mountains. Hey, maybe if this global warming thing keeps going, we won't have to decide: the mountains will have beaches!

And of course, we were silly enough to buy a home well within our means, so now we're paying an extra $1000/month against the fixed-rate 6% mortgage. This means we won't get any of the gov't candy being handed out to the idiots that didn't realize that 'variable' is not synonymous with 'ever-decreasing' or 'immutable,' so I have to live with feeling cheated out of that. Kinda pisses me off a bit, ya know?

And yeah, the soulless corporation I work for actually expects me to follow rules like show up for work, don't grope co-workers (God, how I miss the Clinton years when that was the cool thing to do), and put the lid down on the toilet. In exchange, all I get back is interesting work to do, 12 annual holidays, a 23 day PTO bank, a 6% match on my 401k, and a paycheck.

From where I'm sitting on this barstool crying in my beer, I sure miss the days when I had none of that, but at least I could make my own rules. You know, rules like 'Sleep until at least noon,' 'drink no less than a 12 pack a day,' and 'do not drive with a BAC of less than .15.'

I'm telling you, these are dark days indeed.

Posted by: Daveg at January 24, 2008 04:04 PM

Keep 'em coming!

Me, the only problem I'll have is telling whether you yahoos cribbed from the Times :p

Posted by: Cass at January 24, 2008 05:00 PM

'do not drive with a BAC of less than .15.'

Posted by: Hey! I resemble that... at January 24, 2008 05:01 PM

You want to know how bad it is? It's so bad that even the asteroids won't stop here!

Posted by: spd rdr at January 24, 2008 05:13 PM

Ah yes! Just last week I saw the Bushitler stealing lollipops from the mouths of babies in my neighborhood! Can noone stop this crazed madman? (In my best Nancy Kerrigan voice): Wwhhhhyyyyy, WWWhhhhyyyyy!?!

Posted by: a former european at January 24, 2008 08:14 PM

Since the shrub has been in office, I have been able to retire my mortgage,pay off all of my debts, sell my service buisness at a profit,contribute to charities, help friends & family and help in the GWOT.
Not too bad for a HS dropout.

2% Luck + 98% Work = Life

Posted by: Unkawill at January 24, 2008 09:32 PM

My 401K lost about $8500 in the last few months.

Boo-freakin'-hoo...

Posted by: camojack at January 25, 2008 01:36 AM

"My 401K lost about $8500 in the last few months"
Mine took a thumping over the past several weeks too, but now the markets are opening on this fine Friday morning and it appears as though they are off to another bullish start.

As we all know, down markets are buying opportunities. Hang tight camo, that 401K is on the way back up.

Posted by: bthun at January 25, 2008 09:36 AM

I lost 15 pounds over the summer but have put 5 back on, I blame Bush!

Posted by: Frodo at January 25, 2008 12:24 PM

> There is justice in the world. Times stock is in the toilet

Nah, there's no justice. This doesn't really hurt Schulzberger, just the public stockholders. Stupid to buy, yes, but the ones who are screwing things up are independent of the stock prices.

Posted by: obloodyhell at January 25, 2008 12:57 PM

Hey! I lost my job last week. Yeah! It was Bush's fault. Yeah, that's the ticket...

Posted by: obloodyhell at January 25, 2008 12:59 PM

> "That's it. I'm moving to France."

Ever notice how many of the Left claim this but don't actually do it? Be interesting to research that one...

Posted by: obloodyhell at January 25, 2008 01:01 PM

Hey, Dave, is your company hiring? LOL.

Posted by: obloodyhell at January 25, 2008 01:06 PM

Hey, Dave, is your company hiring? LOL.

Yes. I really wish they'd stop, though. I can't keep track of all of the new faces anymore. And it really is all about me after all!

Posted by: Daveg at January 25, 2008 02:25 PM

Are they hiring computer geeks ... don't know how long my job is safe for after they laid off scores yesterday!!!

Posted by: Frodo at January 25, 2008 02:36 PM

I'm freaked man! I mean, I was listen to that dude, Al Gore, ya know. The one who's won some kinda pilsner prize or somethin. He's been all over the inertubes, man, ya gotta know who he is, no?

Anyway, he was, like, saying the Earth was warming up an everything, right? Well, I went and spent all my heating oil money on some really great stuff, man. And, like it's colder than a well diggers ass outside, man! What the hell happened to my Global Warming?

Any of you out there lawyers? Do ya think I can sue him and get my money back, man? I'm cold.

Posted by: joated at January 25, 2008 04:10 PM

> Nah, there's no justice. This doesn't really hurt Schulzberger.....

I would love to see Pinch-of-the-many-hats and the Times board sued for breach of their fiduciary responsibility to their public stockholders.

Posted by: Mark at January 25, 2008 04:18 PM

I can empathize Frodo.

I worked for half of a life time for a mongo large computer company. One whose rankings fluctuated in the top 4 depending on the time frame of reference.

Beginning in the 80's and continuing year after year staff was attritted, right-sized, JIT-necessitated-labor-force-restructuring, etc. which were some of the buzz words IIRC.

Hundreds and sometimes thousands each year. Many jobs were lost due to all the usual suspects like poor planning, the bottom of normal business cycles, poor management, mergers/corporate consolidations, off-shoring, being too narrowly focused in a particular skill-set i.e. too specialized, having products line discontinued out from under staff, competing with 3rd world wages...

Is it any wonder that todays kids decline to go into hock to get a degree in CS when the payback may not be there? All of which results in a cry for more H1B visas.

This might just lead a cynic to conclude that IT is no longer the most attractive career choice. Well that, and it seems as though 30% of the house painters I've recently interviewed to paint my house claim to have at one time been IT widgets from varying points in the food-chain!

On how I miss the good old days in corporate America. Come to think of it, self-employment might be the way to go if you want to remain an IT type. =8^}

Joated, Good grief! Stick to the script will ya? Boosh mad the Sun hotter, smote El Nino, and convinced the right wales they were wrong.

Posted by: bthun at January 25, 2008 05:09 PM

Man I need a context-sensitive spell checker, a proof reader... or a beer.

Posted by: bthun at January 25, 2008 05:14 PM

Well,bthun, if Mongo would ever get here with my beer-gram, I'd share with ya. I have a feeling, though, that the evil Bushitler had it confiscated by those same SS he sent to leave non-binding, loosely-threatening fishwrap messages in Herr Olbermann's mailbox.

Tell ya what, take that torque wrench, reverse directionality, set 34 lbs. torque and do your rain dance. Who knows? If you get golden libation to fall, join me here in the corner for a toast to MH. 24 yrs. ago today he earned the title United States Marine.

0>;~}

Posted by: Sly2017 at January 25, 2008 06:00 PM

I can't *believe* you remember that :p

I know it was in August when the Unit did the same, and of course I know the year. 1st week of if I'm not mistaken, but the exact date eludes me.

Salute, Sly. As you are wont to say, 'Very cool.'

Posted by: Chinese Jewish Mexican-American Lawn Chica at January 25, 2008 06:04 PM

24! Outstanding. Salute to both of your units and of course their lovely support staff!

Good idea Sly, I'm headin for the garden with my mug and straw via the tool chest... Right after I check the status of the Mongo Express. =8-}

Posted by: bthun at January 25, 2008 06:15 PM

As MH loves to intone, *in best Hee Haw fashion* "Saaaaaalute!"

0>;~}

Posted by: Sly2017 at January 25, 2008 06:25 PM

> obloodyhell, ultimately any business is answerable to the bottom line. Sooner or later Sulzberger is going to feel the pinch. The NYT A stock has lost 2/3 of its value in 5 years and almost 40% from June 2007 to present. That's not a fenderbender, it's a trainwreck. Granted Pinch has a controlling interest and this afords him more insulation from stockholders' wrath than a fully public corporation. I doubt all tha A stockholders are Soros type ideologues willing to see their investment crater.

This would be true in most cases, but from what I've read of NYT, there is "voting stock" and "non-voting stock" -- the publicly held variety is entirely the latter, if I understand correctly. (Yes, what this says about the stupidity of owners of NYT stock is that it's about the same level as regular NYT readers).

So the stock price only affects its investment options by altering its available "extra spending money", and does nothing whatsoever to influence the attitutes of Pinch & co.

Posted by: obloodyhell at January 26, 2008 08:04 PM

Bthun SORRY !! Market tanked again on Fri
As for the New York Times the circulation is going down but they do thank all you conservatives for your support. It seems that the only thingh that keeps them printing is all of the conservatives who buy it just to hate it

Posted by: John Ryan at January 27, 2008 12:49 PM

"Bthun SORRY !! Market tanked again on Fri"

Yep, but like I mentioned, a down market is a buying opportunity. =8^} If you want safe, buy a CD, or if it's short term gratification, try Vegas or Noo Joysee.

Posted by: bthun's Psychic Investors Network at January 27, 2008 01:11 PM

I might be wrong on that but I've read that NYT stock is an unbelievable scam. The purchasers of it deserve to lose every dime for being idiots."

I agree with your appraisal. Pinch isn't going have an epiphany. It would be hilarious to see him and his cohorts sued for deflating the A stock in what amounts to a Ponzi scheme.

Posted by: Mark at January 27, 2008 05:03 PM

Posted by: bthun at January 25, 2008 09:36 AM

I'd be much better off just looking at the annual report...which shows a net gain of over $15.5K. It arrived over the weekend...

Posted by: camojack at January 28, 2008 01:43 AM

Don't start panic selling, or you will really get burned. The market is fluctuating and will continue to do so for some time. Oh, and forget trying to time the market. Look for solid financials. I'm buying only mutual funds now.

ohbloodyhell, take a look at this

The NYT A shareholders are restless, heh. Come on, sue Pinch and his cabal of voting shareholders. Make my day.

Posted by: Mark at January 28, 2008 02:59 PM

How bad is it?

Stupid Bush. All I know is before His Chimpfulness too office, I didn't have to work hard at all for my six figures. But just this year I had to switch jobs from being a Training Consultant to being a Trainer. Instead of sending forth my Training Minions to deal with the unwashed masses of morons, I have to do it myself! Hours in a classroom, wincing from the glare of my own painstakingly-produced Powerpoint Slideshow (and do those Philistines appreciate the clever sound effect I put in there to empnasize each bullet point or the slick fade-in effects? Hell, no! Cretins). I tell you, I'm getting Laser Pointer Thumb, I think.

And don't even get me started about printing up those stupid certificates. I swear, there are only so many ways you can write "Congratulations! You now mostly know how to save a document in Microsoft Word! Come pack for the intermediate class to learn the 'Save As...' function" in a certificate so some slackjawed corporate yokel can give it to his boss like a squirrel he shoveled off the asphalt.

I can't wait until Barak Obama becomes President. Then we'll show those stupid proles who's in charge. Nothing like a few beads from the King of the Float to get the voters to flash us some skin and cheer like drunken coeds.

Oh yeah...good times.