« Items of Interest | Main | Coffee Snorters: Is It Drafty In Here? Edition »

February 21, 2008

Link of the Day

An unexpected love story.

CWCID: Travis Kavulla

Posted by Cassandra at February 21, 2008 07:34 AM

Comments

The look on Morgan Freeman's face was priceless.

Posted by: HomefrontSix at February 21, 2008 12:19 PM

That video was interesting on a number of levels. Wish I had time to comment on it.

Posted by: Cassandra at February 21, 2008 12:39 PM

That was cool.

Posted by: Sly2017 at February 21, 2008 01:23 PM

If you'd leave Gantt alone, maybe you would!

Posted by: HomefrontSix at February 21, 2008 02:12 PM

I agree, as an amateur genealogist, that was cool. You have to wonder what life was for that couple back then. I wish I had more time to work on my own family history - it's been on the back burner now for coming on 7 years. Still need to find who that third woman my great-grandfather had children with. I find the first (ex-)wife and their two children in one census, and then his third (and final) wife, my great-grandmother, but there is the unknown mother of my half granduncle...

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at February 21, 2008 05:18 PM

Watch the one for Tom Joyner, too...

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at February 21, 2008 06:09 PM

It's funny.

I have never really liked Tom Joyner. One of the reasons I don't like him is that when you listen to his radio show, his bitterness just shines out. The man just really has a huge chip on his shoulder.

One of the things I find interesting about that series is that when they went back and did the research, what they are finding confounds their expectations. And you can see it in the faces of the people who are being confronted with history that is obviously counter to everything they've been told.

No, it's not "Hey, white people are all wonderful". But it's also not "Hey, they were all out to keep us down" either. As usual, the truth is far more complex than the simple minded crap people fob off on each other.

In the end, we deal with each other as individuals. I loved seeing Morgan Freeman's face when he saw those headstones for the first time.

Thirty-five years. And eight children. Amazing.

Posted by: Cassandra at February 21, 2008 06:54 PM

The one with Chris Rock was cool, too. It brought him to tears. But I get into all this history/genealogy stuff...

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at February 21, 2008 07:20 PM

Chris Rock is an interesting guy. He has always kind of impressed me.

Posted by: Cassandra at February 21, 2008 08:26 PM

Chris Rock has always fascinated me.

I thought the piece with Morgan Freeman was incredibly interesting. He obviously knew a fair amount about his ancestors and, yet, all of the research they did contradicted a lot of what he thought he knew. And when the pieces came together, the look on his face was priceless.

Posted by: HomefrontSix at February 21, 2008 11:01 PM

Agreed, HFS... I sometimes wish I could have someone take the time to do my research (since I don't), but then I would miss out on those "ah-ha" moments of discovery - like finding out my g-grandfather had two sons born 9 months apart, and the younger didn't belong to the mother of the older...

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at February 21, 2008 11:28 PM

I think, many times, that family stories get passed down in a sort of "telephone game" fashion. A lot of the details either get fuzzy or omitted completely. I know that is very true in my family and I suspect it is true in other families as well. So it seems with Mr. Freeman.

Posted by: HomefrontSix at February 22, 2008 01:51 AM