« Men In Tights XLII | Main | Hmmmm...... »

February 04, 2008

Nope, Still Nothing...

Tragically, Media Matters proves you still can't fix stupid:

On the February 3 edition of Fox Broadcasting Co.'s Fox News Sunday, panelist and New York Times columnist Bill Kristol said the only people supporting Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton's (D-NY) presidential campaign "are the Democratic establishment and white women." Kristol then asserted that "it would be crazy for the Democratic Party to follow an establishment that's led it to defeat year after year," and added, "White women are a problem, that's, you know -- we all live with that." After fellow panelist Brit Hume responded, "Bill, for the record, I like white women," Kristol said, "I know, I shouldn't have said that."

For whatever it may be worth, the Princess was sitting about 2 feet from the TV set when Kristol made that wisecrack. And yes, it was fairly lame, as jokes go ...and she thought no more of it than that.

Disclosure: she has no particular love for Kristol, one way or the other. But it was just a joke gone awry, for Pete's sake. If one spends sufficient time in front of a camera, sooner or later one is bound to say something that makes one look less than thoughtful.

No, the quip wasn't funny but it was hardly cause to hand Kristol over to the Druid priests to be deprived of his man-bits either. The Princess - white womyn that she is - wasn't the least offended by Herr Kristol's little fit of "misogyny" (Good Lord - if *this* is what passes for misogyny these days, our national wussification is complete).

Get. A. Grip, America. Can't a person can make a joke without it being taken as some sort of Dead Giveaway that he's a greedy, snake-handling racist, misogynistic Red-state Jesus-freak who spends his weekends tipping over the nests of endangered gay spotted owls?

Clearly the man must be fired.

Or perhaps he could just be take out and shot. Some people have way too much time on their hands.

Update: Yanno....

The upside to finding out white women are now an oppressed minority is that The Princess no longer needs to wallow in guilt over her unearned race, class and gender privileges.

Posted by Cassandra at February 4, 2008 05:41 AM

Comments

"Life began for Paula Rothenberg in a privileged home in New York City, but it took her to the battlefields of the culture wars on behalf of the underprivileged."

So, in other words, she remained in a privileged home in New York City. Right?

"PAULA ROTHENBERG is a professor of philosophy and women's studies at The William Paterson University of New Jersey and director of the New Jersey Project on Inclusive Scholarship..."

Oh, she went all the way to Jersey. I stand corrected.

Posted by: Grim at February 4, 2008 08:17 AM

"the battlefields of the culture wars "
Where, exactly, might that be? Or, which exit?

Posted by: bthun at February 4, 2008 08:36 AM

I thought Juan Williams' wisecrack was best -

BILL KRISTOL - "...White women are a problem, that's, you know -- we all live with that."

[laughter]

JUAN WILLIAMS (National Public Radio correspondent and Fox News contributor): Not me!

Posted by: MathMom at February 4, 2008 09:03 AM

But Bill Kristol still should be fired, of course. And castrated.

Posted by: MathMom at February 4, 2008 09:04 AM

I know, MathMom. Now Juan's quip destroyed me :p

The more I see of him, the more I sort of like him.

Posted by: Cassandra at February 4, 2008 09:06 AM

Man. What is my problem?

Sorry. Up all night working. I am brain dead this morning.

*sigh*

Posted by: Cassandra at February 4, 2008 09:08 AM

Yes, but he should be castrated first, though. It's the least he can do to make amends for being an insensitive white male and a neocon.

Posted by: Off with his naughty bits! at February 4, 2008 09:36 AM

You're right, Fox should castrate him first, while he's still under their mind control rays. And medical plan. Then they should fire him.

Posted by: MathMom at February 4, 2008 09:59 AM

Then the NYT can fire him. And the Weekly Std.

A trifecta of idiocy. The symmetry is delicious.

But we're forgetting something. The grovelling. He *must* be forced to grovel first, and beg for mercy (which of course shall not be granted). And there must be humiliation. Much humiliation.

Posted by: Cassandra at February 4, 2008 10:14 AM

Off with the naughty bits! Yikes! And I thought I was Old Testament...

And BTW, wheah da white wymen at?

Posted by: Sheriff Bart at February 4, 2008 10:17 AM

Geez. I made the mistake of commenting at the Shakesville link, and those folks are seriously devoid of humor! Now I feel like I have gum on my shoe, on a hot day.

Posted by: MathMom at February 4, 2008 10:18 AM

"Excuse us while we whip this off..." :p

Posted by: Sherrifffe Bartte at February 4, 2008 10:28 AM

Hmmm, my first thought when seing that was they needed Cleavon Little to pop out and say "where the white woman at?"

Posted by: Frodo at February 4, 2008 12:18 PM

Speaking of culchah wars, who won the $@# Superbowl?

I have to keep up.

We are watching 'I Love Lucy' DVDs...she goes to Europe. Talk about being inspired by Mark Twain!!!

Heh.

Posted by: Cricket at February 4, 2008 12:26 PM

Are we removing the naughty bits or the fiddly bits?

And while we're at it, will he be getting his rabies shots?

Posted by: Cricket at February 4, 2008 12:28 PM

Its amazing he could get away with such a wrong headed statement ... doesn't he know Hillary has 35 years experience serving the public?? ehh kinda sorta but not really.

Clinton's '35 years of change' omits most of her career

Posted by: Frodo at February 4, 2008 12:58 PM

Personally, I don't see what the problem is. He just stated that we have problems with people that don't have at least some kind of tan.

And that's true of AMerican society. Heck, that's true of humanity, since pale skin equals "being in bed sick".

Posted by: Ymarsakar at February 5, 2008 12:51 PM