« The Fountain | Main | Crayon Physics »

February 23, 2008

Saturday Lyrics

Some people remember the first time
Some can't forget the last
Some just select what they want to from the past
It's a song that you danced to in high school
It's a moon you tried to bring down
On a four-in-the-morning drive through the streets of town

Come on come on, it's getting late now
Come on come on, take my hand
Come on come on, you just have to whisper
Come on come on, I will understand

It's a photograph taken in Paris, at the end of the honeymoon
In 1948, late in the month of June
Your parents smile for the camera in sienna shades of light
Now you're older than they were then that summer night

Come on come on, it's getting late now
Come on come on, take my hand
Come on come on, you just have to whisper
Come on come on, I will understand

It's a need you never get used to, so fierce and so confused
It's a loss you never get over the first time you lose

And tonight I am thinking of someone, seventeen years ago
We rode in his daddy's car down the river road

Come on come on, it's getting late now
Come on come on, take my hand
Come on come on, you just have to whisper
Come on come on, I will understand
Come on come on, it's getting late now
Come on come on, take my hand
Come on come on, you just have to whisper
Come on come on, I will understand
Come on come on

- Mary Chapin Carpenter

Posted by Cassandra at February 23, 2008 10:26 PM

Comments

Aw Jeez! Another poetry/lyrics jag from Cass. Can't we just do dirty limericks or something? I feel like I'm stuck in a Lifetime made-for-women-TV movie, or perhaps a Calgon commercial. I know the setting should at least have lots of candles all burning at the same time for some inexplicable reason, potpourri, and I should be sipping cocoa or chamomile tea while talking to my cats or best friend about my not-so-fresh feeling.

I would rather be waterboarded! What have I done to offend thee, that I must be smited in this way?
For the love of God, woman! Have mercy on the men in your audience!

Have a heart for your faithful readers that have a pair. Can't we at least get a picture of the boys jumping the crik being chased by Roscoe while someone's pickin' anda grinnin' some banjo music in the background? Maybe someone making Clint's day? How about Ahnuld in his prime taking out the baddies by simply flexing his mighty biceps? Feel free to include liberal amounts of explosions, car chases, death/maiming, butt-kicking, kung fu, in any amounts or combinations. Thank you.

Posted by: a former european at February 24, 2008 11:26 PM

The objection from a former european is funny, but you know what, Cass? At least you pick good songs. Plus Mary Chapin Carpenter can sing; she's not one of those pop tartlets who need a studio and a mixing board to sound good.

Posted by: Patrick at February 25, 2008 06:14 AM

Since we're griping, I never know any of these songs. Can't you sing some Hank Williams, woman?

Posted by: Grim at February 25, 2008 07:02 AM

Sure you appreciate this one, at least. :)

Posted by: Grim at February 25, 2008 07:32 AM

AFE,

"Feel free to include liberal amounts of explosions, car chases, death/maiming, butt-kicking, kung fu, in any amounts or combinations."
If Milady does not mind too much, I'll share a little touchie feelie which may be more appropriate for the guys, courtesy of the Gracie's...

Near the end of the clip can be seen Helio, the feeble 91 year old patriarch of the Gracie brood. He's a prime example of what Grim refers to, IIRC, as a dangerous old man.

Posted by: bthun at February 25, 2008 01:08 PM

Okay, props to Helio, but I still feel that 90+ year old kung fu masters should look like Lo Pan or have white hair and Fu Manchu mustaches and be able to leep 30 feet in the air in true chop-socky fashion.:)

Posted by: a former european at February 25, 2008 05:40 PM

Have a heart for your faithful readers that have a pair.

Hey! I do stuff for you guys all the time!

Sometimes you have to put up with things for the other 1/2 of humanity.

Remember? Oh yeah... women. Most days I turn down more topics that interest me about that you will ever know about b/c I know most of you guys have absolutely no interest in them, and so I end up writing about the same 3 or 4 boring things over and over again. There is a whole other world out there, guys.

When I get tired or am busy at work, you get whatever happens to be going through my pea sized brain at the moment (that I can actually post) :p

Posted by: Cassandra at February 25, 2008 06:50 PM

Grim, I've always been partial to Waylon Jennings' version. But then I've always had a soft spot for Waylon anyway. He's just a sweetheart of a man.

Posted by: Cassandra at February 25, 2008 06:54 PM