« Snakes On The Plains!!! Aliens on Capitol Hill!!! | Main | A Man of Letters »

February 27, 2008

Will The Media Listen To These Troops?

Not bloody likely:

Scott Radcliffe believes two tours of duty in Iraq gave him the stuff to serve in Congress. As a platoon commander, he helped spearhead economic development, built citizen coalitions and made many tough decisions, often amid enemy fire.

“I would be putting all I learned in that pressure-filled environment into practice. So it really cuts through metal,” said Radcliffe, 28, who seeks to unseat a newly elected Republican in northwest Ohio.

He’s among the dozen or so Republicans from across the country helping each other campaign under the banner of Iraq Veterans for Congress, cross-promoting each other and directing donors to a shared Web site. It’s a response to the anti-war veterans whose campaigns drew attention in 2006, among them Patrick Murphy of Philadelphia, the lone Iraq war vet serving in Congress.

The platform of Iraq Vets for Congress grew out of the attitudes of the previous election: They believe in victory in Iraq, staying on the offense in the war on terror and taking care of all veterans, said founder Kieran Lalor, who’s running for a seat in New York.

Lalor’s pro-war band of brothers includes California’s Eric Egland, a military intelligence officer who gained national attention for his book “The Troops Need You, America” and a charity of the same name. Other members of the group hail from Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Florida, Indiana and Maine.

“Most people say we (Republicans) lost the Congress last time because of the war,” said Lalor, 32, of Wappingers Falls, N.Y. “I put my life on the line there, I lost friends there, and if I didn’t believe American national security was at stake, I would be the first to say so.

“We as messengers are as important as the message.”

Ah, but they've violated Arkin's Law, and so the media is entitled to ignore them while touting the patriotic dissent of truth-to-powerers who dare to voice authentic opinions about the war on terror.

Posted by Cassandra at February 27, 2008 08:29 AM

Comments

"The Troops need You, America." I like the sound of that. Many hands make a light burden.

Posted by: Grim at February 27, 2008 09:13 AM

If there's one thing that I've learned over these many years, it's not to stick your tongue in an electrical outlet.

Wait... that's not it.

If there's one thing I've learned over these many years, its that the American Public is stupid.

Wait. Give me one more chance.

If there's one thing I've learned over these many years, its that the American Public is painfully slow to recognize its own heroes. Thanks to a media saturated with stories of celebrities and metoric idols, it takes years before the non-discriminating among us finally embrace those whose service went unnoticed. This phenomena generally occurs after an extended period of self-loathing and bitterness has exhausted the populace, leaving the psyche wide open for that next "special" emotional experience: guilt. Thereafter, (and after a short bout of "sympathy")those once reviled (or at least ignored) are suddenly afforded near mythic stature, and even the marginally involved can cover themselves in glory. ("I still have the hat.")

Patience is required, but inevitably the just and righteous get their due.

Posted by: spd rdr at February 27, 2008 10:05 AM

Patience is required, but inevitably the just and righteous get their due.

I hope so. I would like to think so.

Posted by: Cassandra at February 27, 2008 10:15 AM

I got an email from GOPUSA linking directly to that article. Haven't been able to take the time to read the whole thing yet. I've got painting to do. Blogging today is only allowed as a break ;-)

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at February 27, 2008 12:28 PM

This phenomena generally occurs after an extended period of self-loathing and bitterness has exhausted the populace, leaving the psyche wide open for that next "special" emotional experience guilt. Anyway, patient is a virtue and so courage does means a lot.

Catherine