« Getting Beyond Racism | Main | Coffee Snorterz: Caged Panda Heat Edition »

March 25, 2008

Admit it. This Is Why You Come Here.

What is best in life? (other than never having to read another post about Obama and race relations?)

Finding your spiritual center.

Where else can you find this stuff, people?

Posted by Cassandra at March 25, 2008 07:33 AM

Comments

Wake me up when they've taught that mutt to take a vow of silence.

No, I mean the dog.

Posted by: spd rdr at March 25, 2008 11:08 AM

Must be something in the air -- I had a Conan reference today at the Hall, too.

Posted by: Grim at March 25, 2008 11:59 AM

"Admit it. This Is Why You Come Here."

And all this time I thought is was to lob snarktillery at the Half-Vast Editorial Staff, query about ever-impending Caption Contest results and practice the art of dodging flying marmosets.

Oh, and to say, "It."
0>;~}

Posted by: Sly2017 at March 25, 2008 01:03 PM

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentation of the women."

Conan FTW

:p

Posted by: Mad William Flint at March 25, 2008 01:34 PM

GAH! I didn't know that was going to be the link.

Hmmpf.

/knows that scene by heart.
//yes, all the others too.

Posted by: Mad William Flint at March 25, 2008 01:35 PM

I love it when he says, "WRONG!!!"

Posted by: Cass at March 25, 2008 02:43 PM

My spiritual center is slightly to the right of the "best in life" speech giver.

Posted by: KJ at March 25, 2008 03:08 PM

Nothing like a little Conan-quoting to get the manly juices going in the morning! Conan is like kryptonite for liberalism.

On a serious philosophical note, I must say I have been in a mellow, introspective mood lately (yes, Cass, it happens to me too, but instead of poetry I relax to some music). As an appropriate soundtrack for my mood, I was digging through my cds and came up with an old favorite: Bill Withers. It had been a while since I had listened to his music, and I had forgotten how soulful and heartfelt his songs were.

Its just hard to find quality songs like "Ain't no Sunshine", "Lean on me", and "Use me" anymore.

Posted by: a former european at March 25, 2008 03:52 PM

I love those three songs - they are on my iPod and I listen to them all the time.

In fact, I used to blast "Ain't no Sunshine" after everyone left the office, a few years back. It was a great stress reliever to sing along with - that, and 'Use Me'. But then I love to sing, and he has such a great voice that it's a joy to sing along with him.

Posted by: Cass at March 25, 2008 07:22 PM

As I suspected, you are a woman of culture and sophisticated taste!

I had also totally forgotten about his other smaller hits, like "Lovely Day" and "Can't we Pretend". Yes, I am now officially on a Bill Withers jag.

FYI, they have a couple of his early live performances on the BBC on Youtube. Also, a recent personal interview that West Virginia Public Broadcasting did with him. The interviewess is pretty lame, but Bill still comes across as very warm and thoughtful.

Posted by: a former european at March 26, 2008 12:49 AM

I think it's a matter of opinion...but it still sounds good.

I've been quoting that one for years now too...

Posted by: camojack at March 26, 2008 03:52 AM

Crom and Mitra, you've hit it, former european! Sadly, I'm still waiting for the opportunity to use, "Stygian dog! I mean to flay you and hang your worthless hide on a bramble!"

Maybe if I sneak down into the culvert where the dirtbags launch their bottle rockets...

Posted by: BillT at March 26, 2008 07:20 AM

Try a Wahhabist mosque in Europe.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at March 27, 2008 05:26 PM

> Finding your spiritual center.

Cass, Cass, Cass. You misspelt it:

"Finding your spiritual scenter"

Posted by: obloodyhell at March 28, 2008 09:44 PM

""Finding your spiritual scenter"
Is that one of them electrical doohickeys they sell on them intertubes?

Posted by: Larry at March 28, 2008 09:53 PM