« Too Funny | Main | Well Slap Us Around And Call Us "Susie" »

March 13, 2008

Question of the Day

What do you all think?

Is the ability to make a woman laugh critical in order for a man to be successful with the ladies (or just that special woman who catches his eye?)

Yes or no, and why?

I'll keep my opinion to myself for now. As usual, I have an opinion and it's a fairly strong one, but I'm interested in hearing what you all think so I'd prefer not to say anything just yet.

And yes, there's a mini-rant coming up :p But then you knew that, didn't you?

Posted by Cassandra at March 13, 2008 12:11 PM

Comments

It has to be part of the overall package; shows the man doesn't take himself or life in general too seriously. There is a time and place for it of course, and it is the true man who knows the difference.

For me, The Hubby promised me on our wedding night that he'd make me laugh everyday before we left the house for work. After nearly 25 years of marriage, he's never broken that promise. Sometimes it's just a chuckle over a shared joke, other times he's just so damn funny that I can barely breathe.

Posted by: Kris, in New England at March 13, 2008 12:23 PM

"There is a time and place for it of course, and it is the true man who knows the difference.

Couldn't agree more. Now laugh, ladies. Or pay for your own dinner.

See ya. Gotta run for a few days (weeks?).

Posted by: spd rdr at March 13, 2008 12:40 PM

You'd better run, big guy :p

/smack!

Seriously, as Hitchens said in the video most guys love hamming it up a bit for the ladies and most ladies don't mind giving you all the applause you deserve. It's one of the oldest dances in the book, and we're programmed for it genetically.

It 'works'.

Posted by: Cass at March 13, 2008 12:51 PM

Absolutely. Shared laughter is a form of intimacy.

Posted by: Allen at March 13, 2008 12:58 PM

Agreed - he has to have a sense of humor.

But does he have to be able to make her laugh? I think the two are distinct characteristics. There are lots of guys who have a great sense of humor, but aren't funny guys themselves (i.e., they can recognize teh funny, but they don't necessarily make others laugh).

Posted by: Cass at March 13, 2008 01:12 PM

Good golly, I hope not...

I mean, I have my moments, but when it comes to everyday humor, I'm hopelessly lame.

But I like to laugh, so I tend to do so quite a bit -- and always invite people to either laugh with me or at me.

Posted by: Kevin L at March 13, 2008 01:24 PM

"Do you think a guy has to BE funny to be successful with women, as Hitch maintains?"

No, just a good liar. For example: You tell the woman you just met that you own a yacht and invite and her girlfriends down to the marina on Saturday to take it out for a spin (don't forget your bathing suits!) When she and her crew (girls always travel in packs) arrive and see that you were referring to a leaky canoe with the name "Yacht" painted on its rump, she'll laugh out loud and say "You are such a funny,/i> guy!" And her friend will all agree that you are indeed a very funny guy. A bad liar would have never gotten that far.

Posted by: spd rdr left a voicemail at March 13, 2008 01:29 PM

Like all other absolutes, I would say it is not necessarily true. But I think having a sense of humor, sharing a laugh with your spouse, and the ability to take the world and yourself less than 100% seriously is definately a plus when seeking a mate. But I think that works both ways.

Sure a woman can 'get lucky' based on her looks alone if she really wanted to. But to hold a life-long mate, I cannot imagine wanting to be married to a woman who was a downer. Nor would I think my wife would want to be married to me if I never (as in NEVER) made her laugh.

Sorry Cass, I don't see the rant coming (no clue what it would be), but I'll chalk up this "Hitchens'" opinion to be mostly true, but not true in an absolute sense.

Posted by: MikeD at March 13, 2008 01:34 PM

...And not only that but when he wasn't looking, someone swiped all his durned vowels.

Posted by: spd rdr s bvsly trd f lvg... at March 13, 2008 01:39 PM

Well, fwiw I am not trying to trap anyone into saying something so I can pounce on them and say, "WRONG!", like what's-his-face on that show on the weekend. :p

It's just that often when I write this big long diatribe I don't get much discussion, so I thought I'd try it the other way 'round first this time - see what people thought first without injecting my opinion into it.

Posted by: Cass at March 13, 2008 01:43 PM

WOW... I take it back. I just followed Fausta's link and watched the video (oh... THAT Hitchens). Ok quick analysis:

Oh my Diety... that guy's a complete ASS.

Longer analysis:
If he took himself any more seriously, I think his ego would form a black hole and the planet would collapse in on the vast gravitational field created by it. Not ONLY is he speaking in absolutes, he's gone the step further and portrayed all female comedians as "dykes, jews, or butch". Wow. I don't normally throw around terms like 'mysogynist' or 'racist', but damn if they don't qualify. In fact, this is only the second person I've ever considered mysogynistic (the other being Nietchze).

What an ass.

Posted by: MikeD at March 13, 2008 01:44 PM

And my rant, fwiw, doesn't have much to do with the opinion one way or the other. It's sort of tangental.

Posted by: Cass at March 13, 2008 01:44 PM

Ummm.... yeah.

That is what I think, Mike. Hence the rant.

This has come up several times in the blogospere, and it does annoy me a little.

Posted by: Cass at March 13, 2008 01:46 PM

Yes. "required?" technically not, but it makes for an awful lot of the ground.

And yes, MAKE them laugh. Laugh "with" them don't mean squat.

I have to deal with the flip side: Girls with a sense of humor but who are largely unable to make me laugh. The difference is really just a matter of being quick witted and proactive.

Posted by: Mad William Flint at March 13, 2008 01:46 PM

A "mini" rant? I have yet to see one of those from you; you may start small, but by the time you are done in the comments it runs to volumes. :) Are you now going to rant about laughter, even? Surely the spring is too merry for that.

This is my favorite scene in "Conan the Barbarian." The old Mongol warlord demands of his son, "What is best in life?" The son answers, "The open steppe, a fleet horse, a falcon at your wrist, and the wind in your hair."

The old man shouts, "WRONG!"

I love that concept. :)

As for whether or not a man must be able to make women laugh to stay in 'the evolutionary concept,' the answer I think is that indeed he must -- in the West. It is an unrecognized fact that the West is the major civilization in which women have had the largest voice, for longest.

In China or Turkey or Iran, much of South America, all of Africa, most of Asia excepting the parts reformed through long contact with the United States -- women's consent is not so greatly required.

It is in the West that Marie de France and others set out the rules of courtly love, and what began as an amusement for the elite ladies became the rule for the whole society. We have a concept of love and true love, and women's power to consent or refuse, that is not present in the rest of humanity.

This is one reason to love the West and to fight for her -- even as a true knight.

Posted by: Grim at March 13, 2008 02:01 PM

Why are they unable to make you laugh? I'm curious? (not in a bad way, but genuinely curious). Do you think it's b/c their brand of humor is different? Or for some other reason?

Posted by: Cass at March 13, 2008 02:04 PM

Don't answer that, Grim!

Posted by: spd rdr at March 13, 2008 02:35 PM

I might have, but for laughing with you. :)

Posted by: Grim at March 13, 2008 02:37 PM

I will add that I have not seen Hitchens' remarks -- bandwidth is too restricted for streaming media tonight. So I am speaking, as it were, to the question without the context.

I gather the rant was to be directed at him, more than at the question; but I think, if I may be so bold as to say so without having heard him, that the question is apt to be more interesting without this particular context.

I met Hitchens once, at the Danish embassy, when we and many others both took the White Cross of the Mark and bore it in a show of friendship during the days of embassies burning in other parts of the world. That was well done on his part, and he deserves credit for both the idea and the organization. Still, giving him his due for the things he has done well, there are other places where he has more properly deserved his position at the Vanity Fair.

Posted by: Grim at March 13, 2008 02:44 PM

I've never met the man Grim. And perhaps he is the very flower of wit and charm in person. On that video... not remotely. For crying out loud, I directly quoted him in my above analysis. He literally said "the problem with female comedians up till now, is they tend to be either dykes, or jews or butch." And that is not the extent of it, but it was certainly the most egregious piece. He then proceeds to smugly claim that they missed the point of his original piece. The sheer arrogance, disdain and general contempt he has for his critics and those who DARED disagree with his original premise "Why Women Aren't Funny" is astonishing. The best I can use to describe it is needlessly rude.

Posted by: MikeD at March 13, 2008 02:57 PM

Laughter is part of a psychological defense mechanism, I think I read once.

If we couldn't laugh at how absurd and tragic life is and was, we would all become so morose and tragic, we might all slit our wrists and end it all.

Some long dead famous white guy (LDFWG, for future reference) once said, to paraphrase, that God was a comedian playing to an audience that was too terrified to laugh.

So while cleanliness is supposed to be next to Godliness (so my mother told me numerous times growing up), humor is probably right after that.

1. Godliness
2. Cleanliness
3. Humor

So wash up and make me laugh. That tends to get all the girls, I think.

And I'm buying a canoe next week and painting 'yacht' on it. Sounds like great fun. And for the love of God, somebody buy spd rdr some vowels. How long must this go on! Vanna?

I've waded in, and now I am wading out.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at March 13, 2008 03:10 PM

Make me laugh, as in a deliberately contrived (ala mr.rdr and his *yacht*) attempt to create humor? No. Make me laugh, as in spontaneous, quick-witted commentary that brings a natural, heartfelt giggle or smile, most definately. Not only is it part of the spark that shines bright during good times, it's also what bring you through those *moments* in life that try your soul. Laughter makes you feel better. Period. And once you feel better, it's easier to Stand.

Posted by: Sly2017 at March 13, 2008 03:24 PM

Well, I don't think I will write a rant.

I don't have time.

For what it's worth, I don't think he's right.

I have dated guys who were funny and guys who didn't have the ability to tell a joke to save their lives. I have never dated a guy without a sense of humor though. A humorless man would never stand a chance with me because I love to laugh, and if we could not share a good laugh we could not communicate. But a man doesn't need to be able to make me laugh; just to be able to share a laugh with me. It's a huge plus, frankly, if he *can* make me laugh, in addition to other personality traits.

But I like serious guys too. In fact, I tend to be very attracted to sort of serious, brooding types :p So the whole 'make me laugh' thing was never a deal killer for me. What would be a deal killer (and I've run into this) would be a guy like Hitchens who can't admit that a woman can be funny too, because that just reeks of insecurity. Secure guys enjoy their own humor but can laugh at someone else's jokes too.

I crack jokes all the time. I always have. And one of the things I loved about my husband was that he got the subtle little quips I made instantly and laughed. So many people don't pick up on subtle humor. I find a lot of things amusing, and when I met him, one of the things that most attracted me to him was the realization that he found the same things funny that I did. He didn't need to make the jokes. He just needed to find the same things funny, and to 'get' my humor (and for me to 'get' his).

Posted by: Cass at March 13, 2008 03:32 PM

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

(whoops!)

Posted by: spd rdr - born liar and contrived humorist at March 13, 2008 03:39 PM

Hey! You are *not* a contrived humorist!

/running for the barricades

Posted by: Cass at March 13, 2008 03:55 PM

In the words of Napoleon Dynamite, "Chicks dig men with skills."

One such skill is a keen wit.

Posted by: TigerHawk at March 13, 2008 04:01 PM

What, exactly, do you find funny, Cass?

Posted by: Ymarsakar at March 13, 2008 04:03 PM

Wow.

I think, Ymar, that I probably see humor in more things than most people do. I say this b/c when I am sitting at a speech or talk or classroom I will always be the first to smile or laugh. Teachers used to come up to me and comment that often I was the only one to get a quip or joke. Or, sometimes, they weren't sure what I was smiling at to myself. More than once in HS I had guys call me 'Mona Lisa" because I do tend to have (my husband tells me) a little smile that flits across my face from time to time. I am not good at hiding my thoughts when something amuses me, and I am often amused.

Don's comment about humor being a defense mechanism is (I think) very apt. It's what I've always thought: most humor has an element of pain in it. I think that's why men tend to be better at it than women - because to make people laugh, you have to be willing make your audience slightly uncomfortable, make them cringe a bit or invoke a bit of pain. Do it deftly or subtly and you delight or amuse without disturbing or shocking.

I think this is more the feminine style of humor.

Do it in a more heavy handed way and you may shock or offend, but you will also always get the laugh. This is more the male form of humor: slapstick, or the Three Stooges.

I like subtle plays on words the most; double entendre. Things that seem on the surface to say one thing but actually mean another. They tickle the brain into seeing connections that might not be otherwise apparent.

The British excel at this sort of thing. I'm not terribly good at it. McTrip (who used to come around here now and again) was a master at it. And several of our commenters and readers here are quite good at it.

The only forms of humor I really don't like are mean putdowns and really gross physical humor (potty humor doesn't amuse me much). Guys tend to like that sort of thing more than women. I'm not over fastidious - I can laugh at some of that sort of thing - it depends on the context of the joke. I don't get grossed out just because something involves bodily functions. After all, I'm a mother.

But if the only point to the joke is that it mentions bodily functions, that (to me) is not funny. If it's incidental to the rest of the joke I can look past it, but often will wish they'd couched it more delicately. I don't like crudeness for the sake of crudeness, I guess. Perfect example, there is a joke in my Inbox that I have been considering sending out today, but I can't quite bring myself to do it.

I think it's actually really hilarious. I laughed myself silly - watched it three times. But I am unsure about sending it out because it is a little crude in places. I would send it to women.

I would not send it to a man. I don't know why, because I know they have seen far worse. I just don't feel right, even though I know they would laugh.

Posted by: Cass at March 13, 2008 04:27 PM

Just checked my Inbox ... it's not there. You don't love me anymore.
*siff*

0>;~}

Posted by: Sly2017 at March 13, 2008 04:54 PM

Oh, it's coming.

Trust me. You'll laugh. But damn, it's crude.

Posted by: Cass at March 13, 2008 04:57 PM

Well, I don't know about "making" people laugh, but I get laughed at all the time, but it doesn't help me.

Posted by: Lonely Man at March 13, 2008 05:14 PM

That's OK.

I get laughed at a lot too. It doesn't kill you.

Posted by: Cass at March 13, 2008 05:19 PM

It all depends on what you are looking for. As a young man, good looks, an athletic physique, sharp clothes, and some dancing ability were more than enough to get me the neverending sequence of torrid flings that was my goal in my wild oat-sowing days.

For any woman for whom I felt a serious attraction, longterm relationship-wise, though, my sense of humor, plus a bit of intelligence, conversational ability, and a smidgeon of cultural sophistication, usually was my go-to combination.

Posted by: a former european at March 13, 2008 05:19 PM

How about your modesty, AFE? You forgot to mention your modesty.

Posted by: spd rdr at March 13, 2008 05:23 PM

What does America's Favorite European have to be modest about?

Would a fig leaf cover it?

And Cass makes me laugh; sometimes. :)
And spd rdr; and Pile On; and AFE; and Sly (easy on the visqueen, lady).

But Grim is too grim. Which is the way he wants it to be.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at March 13, 2008 05:31 PM

Intelligence is required to understand and appreciate humor. Men and women are pretty much equal in this regard.

Intelligence and boldness/chutzpah/creativity are required to produce humor. Men far outpace women in this regard, but as with anything, there are always exceptions.

The reason women are attracted to a humorous man (not just crude physical humor, ala Jerry Lewis though)is that it signifies intelligence and boldness/etc.

Posted by: Tom at March 13, 2008 05:40 PM

How clinically depressing.

Posted by: spd rdr at March 13, 2008 05:49 PM

And Cass makes me laugh; sometimes. :)

Such extravagant praise :p

I am going to pop a bottle of pink champagne!

Posted by: Cass at March 13, 2008 06:09 PM

The visqueen is JHD's, Don, remember?
Gotta keep the kinkiness straight...

0>;~}

Posted by: Sly2017 at March 13, 2008 06:14 PM

Grim has a very dry wit. I enjoy it greatly.

You just need to acclimatize yourself to it.

I find in general that I enjoy subtler forms of humor far more than the more blatant ones.

Often in caption contests, the captions that make me laugh over and over again (IOW, on repeated readings) are the sly ones that 'creep up' on you). Often they are not even all that funny on the first reading, but can become funnier and funnier the more you read them because once you 'get' the joke, you are more and more impressed by the craft of it.

Or else I'm an idiot. Humor is subjective. I have also found that it depends on my mood to a certain extent.

I really, really hate judging caption contests (you may have noticed this).

I used to take all the names out and try to judge them blind. But it takes so much time, and often I know just from the style who it is. But I don't like knowing who the contestants are. So now I hold a piece of paper over the screen as I go down and if I laugh out loud before I see who wrote it, it gets pasted into Word.

Pretty scientific system, huh? But I have to let a lot of time go by, or I remember who did what. Speaking of which, I owe you guys some results! And I have a new photo.

Posted by: Cass at March 13, 2008 06:18 PM

Hon, between you and JHD, it is not easy.

Marines.

We put the 'fun' back in dysfunctional :p
"Right foot blue! Left hand green. Right hand.... ummm... yeah. Keep your hands where we can see them, OK?"

Posted by: Cass at March 13, 2008 06:21 PM

Trust me. You'll laugh. But damn, it's crude.

Send it o me, Cass. I dearly request it of you for the sake of the goodness of humanity.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at March 13, 2008 06:47 PM

No, I thought about it before I made the comment (if you're going to type the comment you know someone might ask). It's not that bad, but if I thought about it before sending it, I'm not going to be easy in my mind after sending it.

It's just one of those things that, for whatever reason, I would feel better not doing. That is one of the weird things about the Internet. You get tempted into going things because it is so easy to send an email, and you have to stop and think: is this really something I want to do?

I'm not really a prude (at least I don't think I am). But I guess I'm not comfortable with this, either.

Posted by: Cass at March 13, 2008 06:57 PM

I really, really hate judging caption contests (you may have noticed this).

Flip a coin, Cass. That's what Kev did with Jimbo. Course Kev went back on his word, but we know you won't do that to us.

Personally, I like grim humour about death and what not. There was a ladder going up to the gymnasium celing and the instructor speculated that someone can actually fall from there, so get away from the base and don't touch it. I laughed at that remark, cause it is funny the idea someone would fall from that great a height and risk death/injury just because some kid was at the bottom fiddling around with stuff he was ignorant of.

The remark by some folks about Chosin Reservoir was also pretty funny. The Marines were surrounded and a gunny said "now they can't get away from us".

John Ringo's SF Mosovich character said "damn, I always knew he was tough. It took a nuke to take him out". And it did take a nuke to take him out, which is hilarious.

Laughing at pain is a good way of knowing that you can still find joy in a life of tragedies. Course, there are the idiots that laugh at jackassery because... it is jackassery.

Btw, Cass, you're just a bubble of energy and joy, so I can't help but laugh when you are amused. Humor is infectious after all.

I have also found that it depends on my mood to a certain extent.

Cass, the precession of the solar system depends upon your mood, to a certain extent.

But it takes so much time, and often I know just from the style who it is.

Is that a hint for your regulars to start copying the mannerisms and tone of each other? That's a good idea, Cass, just imagine more than one of me!!

Now that's an amusing sight to visualize.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at March 13, 2008 06:59 PM

I don't know if the ability to make me laugh is a requirement in a man, but it's a definite benefit. My happiest memory with my recent boyfriend was one when we were laughing hysterically--and I was squealing when I wasn't laughing... :D Tremendous fun. :)

Posted by: FbL at March 13, 2008 07:11 PM

"So now I hold a piece of paper over the screen as I go down and if I laugh out loud before I see who wrote it."

"Now that's an amusing sight to visualize."

0>:~}

Posted by: Sly2017 at March 13, 2008 07:42 PM

Oh boy....

We are cruising, aren't we???

[tapping foot] :p

Posted by: Cass at March 13, 2008 09:19 PM

At this point, is it safe to say the Blog Princess Rocks? Didn't think so....

Posted by: Rich at March 13, 2008 10:03 PM

Short answers (depends on definition of success)

Short term no, hormones take care of that, but for a real relationship, absolutely yes.

Posted by: Pogue at March 13, 2008 10:22 PM

I find it more amusing thinking about all the WiteOut

Cass is going to write you out, Sly. Like write you out of the picture.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at March 13, 2008 10:32 PM

This clip was so funny to me.

Link

If you have a queasy stomach though, watch but be forewarned.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at March 13, 2008 10:51 PM

I love to laugh. Too much in life is just so damn serious that if you couldn't laugh, especially at yourself, you'd go insane. I absolutley love to crack up TLB. Sometimes it takes her a minute or two to get the joke and I'll be long gone listening to her busting out from afar! It's the subtle humor I love!

Like farting in Chruch when it's quiet after a hymn! :-o

And Grim is funny as all get-out. You just have to pay attention or it'll pass right over your head! Heh!

Posted by: JHD at March 13, 2008 11:00 PM

I think it depends upon whether they're laughing with you or at you; if it's the latter, it probably precludes success...

Posted by: camojack at March 14, 2008 01:17 AM

I can make anyone laugh. Male or female. It only involves one prop*,and only if I'm feeling lazy. But yes, I believe it is important that both men and women make each other laugh, and here's why.

To my way of thinking, humour has a great deal to do with incongruity. When you see something that does not quite fit what you expect, that throws you out of your usual mental loop, and it should make you laugh. It does not have to be a major incongruity; understatements often work.

For example, one of the funniest things I've heard was during a Bible study, and the co-leader made an observation on Jacob's surprise 'And behold, it was Leah'. He wondered, how was it possible for him to be surprised? And you know, you play the scene through in your head, and you realise the guy *consummated* his marriage and he didn't even know! All of us broke up for a good five minutes; mixed company as Bible studies tend to be, we all laughed. Talk about an understatement, right?

Two scenes that crack me up without fail are in Down Periscope and Stargate Atlantis. In the former, during ASW games, Sub 1 was being hunted by Sub 2, and so was under strict silence. And then the cook let one rip. It was not so much the rip that was funny, but the scenario that now these guys had a stink bomb go off in an enclosed space with no way to escape or let loose. And in SGA, it's the episode where McKay realises something is not quite right and shouts "This might as well say 'Bing Tiddle Tiddle Bong'; it's complete gibberish!" Something about that sequence kills me.

My sister, the she-devil that she is, laughs at other people's misfortunes. She laughs at her own also, which is a saving grace. She still loves telling people about the time I misjudged a jump over a fence, hooked my foot on it and fell face down on the ground, going 'Holy Cow!' as it hit. As she tells it, the ground shook for a bit.

So, in the end, it's the unexpected, the incongruity, which breaks the usual flow of life and time. In that moment, you are able to laugh. That's how Russell Peters works, after all.

*said prop being a feather.

Posted by: Gregory at March 14, 2008 01:20 AM

"The British excel at this sort of thing."

Yes we do but only because we have bad teeth..

As for hiding an element of pain -this is very true.

Just always remember:

Comedy is like a run on sentence - if you use too many hard consonants sooner or later you will have to have a vowel movement.

Posted by: Dr. Harden Stuhl at March 14, 2008 02:39 AM

"I find it more amusing thinking about all the WiteOut on her screen covering all her typo's...."
You say that as if you know of something better. If so, will you share? And again thanks for the use of that torque wrench Sly ... we're almost caught up on our rain deficit.

Without a doubt a good sense of humor will see you through bad spots like little else, save a good spouse, family and friends. However, comedian, know thy audience. Which just might explain why I can crack myself up but often miss the boat with others. Subtle works, low and slow like Steven Wright is good but in my case, so does the Red Neck comedy tour. And while Walkin' Boss and the girls might laugh at my sack of shtick, I've cratered to the sound of groans more often than I can count. So yeah, crash and burn misfortune can be funny too.

Anyway, I've gotta run. Ever since AFE's rise to his post as Manners HMWIC aka Polite Company Czardom along with all the attendant let it be written, let it be done jazz, I can't stand all the noise from all my newly arrived frog neighbors, so I'm going on a sight seeing tour.

Posted by: bthun at March 14, 2008 10:17 AM

-Dr. Harden Stuhl

That's why four out of five doctors recommend "Run-On," for comedy constipation. "Run-On" combines the proven power of soft consonants with organically-produced hilarity enhancers to help smooth your delivery and rhythmn without the joke-killing side effects associated with costly and potentially habit-forming vowels. With "Run-On" you'll once again experience the joy of hitting your mark on the first attempt. Don't just take my word for it, listen to this satisfied "Run-On" user:
I got hired to appear on a daily TV news-talk show as sort of comic relief. But pretty soon comedy constipation set in and I soon went from being that 'funny fat chick' on TV to that 'unfunny fat lesbian b**ch' working WalMart openings in Paducka. "Run-On" helped me purge those uncomfortable silences from my daily routine, and the results have been FAN-tastic!"
-Rs'Dnnll

Yes, you too can overcome cramped humor and comedy block and unleash the true comic mastermind within you. Just try "Run-On" for two weeks, and if you don't feel funnier, act funnier, and look funnier at the end of that time, try "Run-On" for another two weeks!

So remember, when your timing fails you, don't just curse the audience. Try "Run-On!" It keeps you going, and going, and going...

Posted by: spd rdr at March 14, 2008 10:44 AM

Bottom line: Humor is an extremely attractive characteristic, in man or woman—PARTICULARLY the ability to see humor in real life, in real-time, on an ongoing basis—but Hitchens’s interesting assertion that humor is also an important form of male plumage holds water, I think. It takes an appreciative, interactive audience to make it mutually satisfying, though. In Vanity Fair, Allesandra Stanley quotes Joan Rivers:

“Men find funny women threatening. They ask me, ‘Are you going to be funny in bed?’ ”

Posted by: driver at March 14, 2008 11:09 AM

That's kind of what I think.

When you think of all the funny things that happen when you're making love, a sense of fun is almost imperative. A woman can really hurt a man by laughing AT him in bed. But no real woman would ever do that.

On the otter heiny, the ability to laugh with someone when something vaguely ridiculous happens can often lighten up the mood and put things into their proper perspective. Sex should be fun - a lighthearted romp between two people, not a test a man has to pass. Hopefully if both parties have the right attitude, you come out of it laughing, and with a smile on your faces.

Posted by: Cass at March 14, 2008 11:50 AM

“Men find funny women threatening. They ask me, ‘Are you going to be funny in bed?’”

A man with a true sense of humor would be hoping for that; only a not-so-funny guy would find that prospect threatening. - driver

I reckon that all depends on what she's laughing at huh? ;-)

Posted by: JHD at March 14, 2008 11:57 AM

Yes or no, and why?

It's a TRAP!!!

Posted by: Patrick Chester at March 14, 2008 11:58 AM

The most romantic bedroom scene from any movie I can think of in the history of cinema, between Sigourney Weaver and Bill Murray:

Barrett: [possessed by Sumerian demons]Do you want this body?

Venkman: Is this a trick question? I guess the roses worked, huh.

Barrett: Take me now, subcreature.

Venkman: We never talk any more. I make it a rule never to get involved with possessed people. Actually, it’s more of a guideline than a rule.

Barrett: I want you inside me.

Venkman: No, I can’t, sounds like you’ve already got at least two or three people in there already. Might be a little crowded. Now, why don’t you quit trying to upset and disturb Dr. Venkman and just relax.

Posted by: driver at March 14, 2008 12:28 PM

Yeah, that scene got me going too...

Posted by: Mr. Stay Puff at March 14, 2008 12:49 PM

And yet another satified customer.....

Posted by: spd rdr at March 14, 2008 02:05 PM

Yes. The ability to make me laugh indicates a certain level of intelligence. Intelligence is sexy and attractive. A sense of humor and the ability to make me laugh are one of the first things I (used to) look for in a man.

Of course, a nice rear end (I won't be crude here) and a nice set of shoulders never hurt either...

Posted by: HomefrontSix at March 14, 2008 06:49 PM

With those child bearing hips - women dont "need" humor to mate, but because they appriciate it we men folk are happy to provide...

Posted by: meleager99 at March 14, 2008 07:22 PM

Gee whiz, Spd! What did I ever do to you?

If you must know, my modesty is covered by my ginormous codpiece. I thought we had agreed not to mention said item ever again, because the mere thought of my ginormous codpiece is what caused Cass to run away from her blog the first time a couple of years ago.

She eventually overcame being flustered, and came back to VC. As a precaution, though, I decided never to mention it again for fear of driving her off again. I have kept that promise until know.

Now, in fairness, I was giving her my Chirac schtick/cheesy advances at the time, so it might have been a combination of the ginormous codpiece and Chirac's "Pepe Le Pew"-style cretinous advances that caused her to run screaming in terror. I have never tried to clarify that with Cass because I did not want her to relive such a traumatizing event.

I thought you would show a little more sensitivity here, Spd.

Posted by: a former european at March 14, 2008 07:33 PM

M is just saying America created Al Qaeda. That until the US Marines came to Iraq, which might bave been before 2003, AQ didn't exist in Iraq.

If you believed the US Marines, AQ, and Bush's storm troopers were the same organization created by Bush to serve his megalomania, why wouldn't you say that AQ wasn't in Iraq until the US went there?

Posted by: Ymarsakar at March 14, 2008 08:26 PM

Whoops, wrong thread.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at March 14, 2008 08:28 PM

afe ~ I have never known Cass to run from a codpiece...regardless of it's size. Blue Hawaiians...maybe. Codpieces...nope.

Posted by: HomefrontSix at March 14, 2008 10:15 PM

Oh, yeah. No question at all. In reality, women hate guys that are serious. Even the "serious" women, they want some guy who makes them "not serious".

Posted by: obloodyhell at March 15, 2008 05:20 PM

Who can resist someone who makes you laugh? Besides, to my ear my bride's laughter sounds like music, so I will go to great lengths to produce it.

I think I have her right where she wants me. ;)

Posted by: scottkellyfa711 at March 15, 2008 08:48 PM

Great site!!

Would you like a Link Exchange with The Internet Radio Network? At the IRN you can listen for free to over 70 of America's top Talk Shows via Free Streaming Audio...

Posted by: Steve at March 16, 2008 05:57 PM

HF6...

You do realize the payback will be painful, don't you? :)

Posted by: Cassandra at March 16, 2008 08:51 PM

Take a look at this for some laughs.
Link

Posted by: Ymarsakar at March 17, 2008 12:06 AM

I can't imagine listening to that cat saying "Meow meow meow meow" over and over for hours on end. But then I'd probably find a way to administer a Shotgun Lobotomy after having heard the Barney song just one time....

Posted by: Sly2017 at March 17, 2008 01:43 AM

Ah, but in order to exact revenge, one must first make it to Vegas, baby.

Besides, hangovers are painful (to that, I can attest. They are even worse at 30,000 feet on 0 hours of sleep). Payback is fun ;~P

Posted by: HomefrontSix at March 17, 2008 02:31 AM

Sly2017

You can pretty much make someone go psychotic if you just repeat the meow meow segment without the human voice. After a couple of days of sleep deprivation, barney in slow down mode will really start sounding like the devil.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at March 17, 2008 06:16 PM

Ymar,
Now that you mention it, that may explain my high school coach's *lack of sense of humor* after having endured one or three too many road game bus rides with certain frosh players fulfilling their initiation ritual. Of course, we varsity players were smart enough to bring along headphones....
And, to me, Barney sounds like the devil in any mode.
0>;~}