« Hi Guys | Main | What The Lamestream Media Taught Me About Deployment »

March 04, 2008

The Morning Stupidity Report

Dear sweet Christ, this shouldn't even require saying, but since it apparently does for some people, here goes:

One YouTube video of a Marine moron who, for some reason I feel absolutely no desire to discuss (much less understand) felt compelled to beclown himself and the United States of America by tossing what appears to be a small puppy over a cliff; however wrong/bad, horrifying and inhumane it may seem, is never going to amount to an act significant enough to encompass the entire war on terror.

A still, small voice inside my head tells me the events of the past seven years just *might* be a bit more complicated than that.

Unless, of course, you stopped thinking a long time ago and wish to see everything reduced to a gut-wrenching, emotional sound byte moment. And even if that is so, isn't it an insult to both the Iraqi and Afghan people and the nearly 4,000 US troops who have given their lives to reduce this war to the level of puppy-bouncing?

Just a thought, for those inclined to thinking as opposed to emoting.

On the otter heiny, this video may be the answer to the question Charlotte Allen asked this weekend in the WaPo.

Posted by Cassandra at March 4, 2008 09:14 AM

Comments

The Thunder Run has linked to this post in the - Web Reconnaissance for 03/04/2008 A short recon of what’s out there that might draw your attention, updated throughout the day...so check back often.

Posted by: David M at March 4, 2008 01:50 PM

Moronic doesn't even begin to cover it. Even if the video is staged, there are obviously two people in that video who are so stupid they're lucky to have survived a war zone so far.

Posted by: FbL at March 4, 2008 02:19 PM

My husband-- who went to college for video and CG editing-- took one look and said "the dog isn't moving, that looks like a khaki shirt, that isn't a flack jacket and WHAT is that on his nose?"
(I think they're safety glasses, but not sure.)

Frankly, it stinks.

Posted by: Foxfier at March 4, 2008 03:57 PM

I think it will be investigated.

But even if the worst is true and if it IS a Marine, and a live puppy, that would be a bad thing.

But what would that prove? That the entire war is a mistake? Give me a break. Does one crime prove that society is irretrievably flawed, laws don't work, or all men are criminals? Of course it doesn't.

Neither would this "prove" anything about the war in general. People need to not get their pantyhose in a wad over this, either way.

Posted by: Cassandra at March 4, 2008 04:03 PM

If that were the case (that one mistake damns all humanity), we'd not be here or liberals would cease to exist except as a paradox...

Posted by: RocketScientistBabe at March 4, 2008 05:09 PM

There have been bad people since the dawn of time.

People have abused animals since the dawn of time. This has nothing to do with war.

The attempt to conflate the two (and somehow draw the ridiculous conclusion that since a puppy died, we must surrender in Iraq) is just about the surest indication of brain death that can be imagined. There are intelligent arguments to be made against the war.

This is not one.

Posted by: Cassandra at March 4, 2008 05:24 PM

There are intelligent arguments to be made against the war.

Intelligent arguments can only be made by sentient human beings. Most of the Left are braindead, Cass. They can no longer make intelligent arguments... about anything.

It is a curious experiment to say the least. I would really like to determine at what point a human being is still conscious but has lost his sentience.

Does it happen when he is treated like property by the group that he owes allegiance to? Does it happen when the person is just following orders, thus giving his free will to another? Or does it happen because an individual, of their own free will, has decided that he no longer needs to make choices or decisions for himself; only the decisions made at the top by people like Obama matter.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at March 4, 2008 05:40 PM

I agree with all the comments re if real the marines should be punished and if fake the marines should be punished. Either way it is just a matter of degree of stupidity.

In reply to a comment left at Michelle's blog, people should consider the fact that this might be enemy propaganda produced like Dan Rather and Scott Thomas.

There are four options here.

If real military people did it. If they used a live or substitute dog.

If fake military pretenders people did it. And if they used a live puppy or not.

If it is the first two, our duty is now damage control. If is the last two... then our duty is to attack and rend apart the original propaganda creators.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at March 4, 2008 05:47 PM

That can't have been a Marine or a real live doggy.

Now if it had been a cat...., that is another story.

Posted by: Pile On at March 4, 2008 06:43 PM

I really think, at this point, Ymar that it would be best to say nothing. This war has become politicized to the point where a YouTube of some idiot tossing a puppy is causing people to go ballistic. That alone ought to speak volumes - both that someone made it in the first place, and that people are using it for crass political ends.

Both should be ashamed of themselves.

Posted by: Cassandra at March 4, 2008 06:45 PM

"...the answer to the question Charlotte Allen asked this weekend..."

Even Allen noted that the research shows that a greater percentage of real idiots are men. Because the intelligence curve is flatter for men, in fact, almost all the complete morons are men and not women; as well as very nearly all of the almost-complete morons.

I won't be watching the video.

Posted by: Grim at March 4, 2008 11:01 PM

Bush lied...a puppy died.

Or not...

Posted by: camojack at March 5, 2008 01:24 AM

I don't think that I'll be watching the video either.

Posted by: bthun at March 5, 2008 06:56 AM

Kind of a waste of time, bthun.

I am never sure what the point of these exercises is supposed to be. Whatever it is, I am not interested.

I watched it b/c I had to, to post about it. Otherwise, I would not have bothered. I'm not sure anyone's understanding of the world is deeply enhanced by seeing that there are (who knew?) indeed morons who walk among us.

Posted by: Cassandra at March 5, 2008 07:01 AM

Check me out blogging here in response to the last article in RollingStone Magazine about John McCain.

Posted by: laree at March 5, 2008 09:55 AM

Sound byte, eh?

Betrays thy antecedents, ma'am.

Posted by: socialism_is_error at March 5, 2008 10:00 AM

"Sound byte, eh?"
Otherwise know as the noise made by a couple of abrasive nibbles...

Posted by: Int bthun at March 5, 2008 10:16 AM

Chomp...

Or is it... 'chimp'???

Posted by: Cassandra at March 5, 2008 10:36 AM

If it involved a real dog, I would at least ban these guys from the NFL for 3 years and send them to a Federal pen for 22 months. They could keep their hero Mike Vick company.

Posted by: KJ at March 5, 2008 02:44 PM

Even if it is fake it is very disturbing that someone would find that funny or even use it as an opportunity to shock.

I have chased evil in this world and it has chased me. I have seen evil things that I pray no one else would ever see. Even though I have experienced these things - I am always amazed at the evil that hides in some of those most non compos mentis actions and impetuousness of the morose in this world.

Marine be ashamed that was pure evil. Marines have a code and you walked so far away from that line. Shame, shame, Shame...

Posted by: Dr. Harden Stuhl at March 6, 2008 01:57 AM

Hello KJ,

I hope all is well for you....

Posted by: Dr. Harden Stuhl at March 6, 2008 02:00 AM