« Coffee Snorters, It's Boxing Time! Edition | Main | Want Higher Test Scores? Put Down the Sign and Pick Up a Book »

April 09, 2008

Finally, Some Respect...

It's about time:

Blondes are said to have more fun but it seems brunettes steal the hearts of billionaires.

Brunettes such as Microsoft boss Bill Gates' wife, Melinda French are more likely to marry a successful man than their blonde sisters, a study today said.

Experts checked the hair colour of the wives and girlfriends of the world's top 100 billionaires. Most – 62 per cent – were brunettes.

Fair-haired women came in a poor second with 22 per cent of the world's top billionaires marrying blondes.

Raven-haired women enticed just 16 per cent of the world's wealthiest men, while not one of top billionaires is married to a redhead.

We were going to make some daft quip about the breakfast of champions, but we thought better of it.

Posted by Cassandra at April 9, 2008 08:40 AM

Comments

Of course, only 10% of the world's population is estimated even to carry the recessive gene for blonde hair, and a far smaller percentage is actually blonde (at least before the application of "products"). Looked at that way, blondes have a leg up. As it were.

Posted by: TigerHawk at April 9, 2008 09:51 AM

True, but presumbly billionaires can afford to be as selective as they want, no?

And men are supposed to prefer blondes. At least this is what we are told by endless scientific studies - that they find blue-eyed blondes more attractive sexually and also compete for them as mates. Ergo, I find this somewhat surprising.

Posted by: Cassandra at April 9, 2008 10:07 AM

Looked at that way...

I did. She slapped me.

Posted by: BillT at April 9, 2008 10:08 AM

TH, that may be true, but remember too that of all the worlds population, caucasians are almost the only race that can have blond hair.

And of the top 100 I'd bet caucasions are overly represented too. So you would expect Blondes to do better than 10%.

If you assumed the vast predilection for someone to marry within their race, the question becomes: Of the caucasians in the top 100, what percentage are married to women with blond hair compared to the proportion of caucasions with blond hair. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any stats on Blonde rates in Caucasians.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at April 9, 2008 10:54 AM

...while not one of top billionaires is married to a redhead.

Yes, you'll never get rich marrying a redhead. I know. But it's only money, honey.

Posted by: spd rdr at April 9, 2008 11:00 AM

But it's only money, honey.

Well, I guess that proves the old saying, "Money can't buy happiness :)"

I am surprised no one has commented on the fact that the percentages don't add up.

62 brunettes
22 blondes
0 redheads

Interestingly enough, redheads usually grey early, though I'd be surprised if many wealthy women allow their hair to go grey.

I only put this up b/c I thought it was amusing, guys. Brunettes are always getting dissed in the news. All I ever read about is blondes this and redheads that :p

I wouldn't take it too seriously.

That mak

Posted by: Cassandra at April 9, 2008 11:15 AM

And men are supposed to prefer blondes.

They might prefer blondes as girlfriends and dates, but that doesn't mean they prefer them as wives.

I think any exotic features would activate gene receptors attuned to the need to prevent inbreeding. Blonde hair is just one of several obvious indicators that her gene poor is rather differentiated.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at April 9, 2008 11:30 AM

"That makes 84%. I don't know about you, but I am missing 16% of the wives and I don't know of any other hair colors. Grey used to be some other hair color, no?"

You didn't read the whole thing. That 16% has black hair.

Posted by: steve at April 9, 2008 11:40 AM

Yanno, you're right.

I did read the whole thing, but when I read it I equated 'raven haired' with brunette and completely ignored the '16%'. Not really sure why I did that, though ('black as a raven' should have been a dead tipoff). But that is what went through my mind!

I must have still been half asleep :) Thanks.

Posted by: Cassandra at April 9, 2008 11:58 AM

Man. I am falling asleep at my desk. Something tells me this is going to be a long day.

Posted by: Cassandra at April 9, 2008 12:14 PM

Damn, no marrying billionaires for me then. :(

Posted by: Nicki at April 9, 2008 12:41 PM

Money can't buy happiness. Being a red head (no, really), I can say that marrying for money has never crossed my mind. Which is a good thing since I suspect MacGyver would get cranky if I started considering that option.

Nah - I'm quite content with my mechanic ;) Skills trump money any day thankyouverymuch.

Posted by: Perpetually Perky at April 9, 2008 01:02 PM

Well, I've said it many times before, and I'll say it again: when I was a little girl (and even as a teenager) I longed to have fiery red tresses like all my cousins did. Who wants to be a boring brunette? I wasn't engaging in 'brunette triumphalism' :) I just thought the article was funny because you never see anything good about brunettes. We are the chumps of the female world.

It is you redheads and blondes that everyone goes crazy for!

*sigh*

My maid of honor at my wedding had the most beautiful dark red hair I have ever seen in my life. It was a dark, true red - really, really striking. I thought she was a knockout. So enjoy!

Posted by: Cassandra at April 9, 2008 01:16 PM

I married a red-headed lassie. I suppose this study proves that I shall never become a billionaire.

I made a good trade.

Posted by: levi from queens at April 9, 2008 01:38 PM

Aye chihuahua, Meester Levi from Queens!

Though she does not possess thee flaming tresses, thee Lawn Chica has not noticed much chasing from Meester Warren Buffet.

Posted by: Chinese Jewish Mexican-American Lawn Princess at April 9, 2008 01:49 PM

Hmmm, HF6's guy works with his hands and, appearantly, has skills with them that's worth more than money.

There's a (naughty) joke in there somewhere...

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at April 9, 2008 03:14 PM

Never much concerned myself with the particular color of my honey's locks. Heck they've changed shades a few times, even chose to have none, once. I am always much more fascinated with the shapely parts below as well as her skills and abilities......speaking of breakfast I wonder if junior is off to school yet ? I'll never be a billionaire, but, I still love to nibble my honey and she enjoys being the nibblee and that works just fine for me !

Posted by: Edward Lunny at April 9, 2008 04:53 PM

Ya know, I'd better make sure that the eligible bacholrs datings redheaded daughters #'s 1 & 3 don't see this report. THey might not understand that many many millionaires are married to redheads. It only that they were billionaires before that.

Posted by: spd rdr at April 9, 2008 05:04 PM

It only that they were billionaires before that.
A variation on the good old how to make a small fortune joke... Start with a large fortune and marry a prenuptual-less redhead!

Posted by: bthun at April 9, 2008 07:12 PM

When I was just a lass
I asked my mother
"What will I be?
Will I be blond,
Will I be brown
Here's what she said to me:

Clairol!

Posted by: Naughty Cricket at April 9, 2008 08:38 PM

Most days, I just try not to to a complete jerk. That is hard enough for me to do, and in all these years I haven't gotten it right yet.

Posted by: Cassandra at April 9, 2008 09:24 PM

The reason why many blondes can't snag a millionaire is because the peroxide penetrates the skull and goes into the brain.

chsw

Posted by: chsw at April 9, 2008 10:39 PM

I'm with you, Cass. It was always "blondes have more fun" and "gentlemen prefer blondes", and redheads are attention-getters, too. Us brunettes? Big deal! When I was younger I wanted red hair. A while back, to hide some gray that was coming in (stress-related, as it went away for a while), I let my stylist back in AR highlight my hair - his choice of color. He went with blonde tones. Then, I decided to go back to school and understood I wouldn't have the budget to maintain the highlights and perms, so now I'm back to au naturel: a nice shade of brunette with some gray here and there, and a natural wave I didn't have when I started perming my hair when I was in junior high. And with my new do (tried my sisters' stylist - I think I've found a keeper here in TX), I really like how my hair looks. But, it's nothing "exicting" like blonde or red, or even "raven".

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at April 10, 2008 01:15 AM

My gal is a blue-eyed blonde...but then, I'm no billionaire.

I don't imagine I ever will be...

Posted by: camojack at April 10, 2008 03:38 AM

My hair was a weird color. It was blond, but that was on top. Underneath, red and brown. Now it is all but white. I just don't have the heart to try and figger out a 'color' at my age. Not that I don't want a color, but I can't seem to find one that looks right. Either I would have to go to a honey blond which we used to call 'dishwater' or 'mousy' or some unnatural shade of brown that would look like plastic.

All but one of the CLUs have luxuriant brunette tresses. We have one blond. heh.

Posted by: Cricket at April 11, 2008 07:19 AM