« Politicizing The Medal of Honor? | Main | Rant of the Day »

April 15, 2008

Guess The Party?

This is just plain creepy:

Those who peer at children in public could find themselves on the wrong side of the law in Maine soon.

A bill that passed the House last month aims to strengthen the crime of visual sexual aggression against children, according to state Rep. Dawn Hill, D-York.

Her involvement started when Ogunquit Police Lt. David Alexander was called to a local beach to deal with a man who appeared to be observing children entering the community bathrooms. Because the state statute prevents arrests for visual sexual aggression of a child in a public place, Alexander said he and his fellow officer could only ask the man to move along.

"There was no violation of law that we could enforce. There was nothing we could charge him with," Alexander said.

He attended a talk with Hill a week later and brought the case to her attention. Hill pledged to do what she could, Alexander said, and the result was a change through the Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee in the House, which made the law applicable in both private and public places....

Under the bill, if someone is arrested for viewing children in a public place, it would be a Class D felony if the child is between 12 to 14 years old and a Class C felony if the child is under 12, according to Alexander.

Hill said she believes the move was necessary to correct what she called a "loophole" in the state's criminal law statutes.

*sigh*

It is, apparently, not bad enough that our schools are teaching children to be paranoid about strangers. Now they are going to be terrified of eyeballs.

Wunderbar. When the possession and use of Eyeballs (or more specifically, Evil Men's Eyeballs) near children has been made a felony offense, only The Bad People will have them and violent crime will magically vanish from the face of the earth.

I don't know about you, but I feel so much safer now.

Posted by Cassandra at April 15, 2008 06:35 AM

Comments

If thine eye offend me, I will have the law pluck it out.

We have to address those loopholes that we all know everyone spends their spare time looking up so as to get around the law.

Posted by: Cricket at April 15, 2008 10:52 AM

And who is the decider of whether or not there is "visual sexual aggression" involved? What the he|| is "visual sexual aggression" anyway??

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at April 15, 2008 11:22 AM

"What the he|| is "visual sexual aggression" anyway??"
The evolutionary progression of the thought crime comrade.

Posted by: TEHThoughtFuzz at April 15, 2008 11:31 AM

STOP LOOKING AT ME!!!!

Posted by: Barack Obama at April 15, 2008 11:49 AM

But BO it was a longing look of HOPE based on a transcendental shift in the collective consciousness which seeks a new paradigm of CHANGE, because It Is All Our Faultâ„¢... I hope therefore I emote, just don't look.

Or maybe it was that melting cheese danish bikini! =8-O

Oh no! Now I have to haul myself in for!

Posted by: TEHThoughtFuzz at April 15, 2008 12:14 PM

I think half the reason for creating new laws these days is so that literally everyone is a criminal. That way when anyone important finds you "inconvinient" they'll be able to have you arrested.

I'm about to go in search of something illegal that is minor and stupid so that if anyone ever needs to find an excuse to arrest me they won't have to make up something serious to do it.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at April 15, 2008 12:47 PM

"I think half the reason for creating new laws these days is so that literally everyone is a criminal."

Big Brother is our friend, comrade - you have nothing to fear as long as you have right-thinking, good behaviour and no googly-eyes. Perhaps a brief stay in our luxurious re-education spa and hotel will assist you in finding a deeper understanding of the wisdom of the total control over society that we all know is best for us.

Posted by: George Oh Well at April 15, 2008 01:52 PM

Damn. Guess that means I can't ogle (is it "ogle" or "oogle"??) the good looking guys at the milblogging conference in the fall. *sigh*

Takes all the fun out of it!

Posted by: HomefrontSix at April 15, 2008 04:04 PM

Visual sexual aggression? Good helk. Next thing you know they will be banning songs like "My Eyes Adored You" as sexual harrassment.

Although, that one should be banned just because it was a dweeb song...

Posted by: Cricket at April 15, 2008 04:05 PM

Not to mention "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes", "Betty Davis Eyes", "I've Got Red Eyes From Your White Lies And I'm Blue All The Time", "Eyes Without A Face", "Eyes Of A Stranger" (although that one seems to be the target anyway), "Hungry Eyes", "Eye of the Tiger".....

Posted by: DL Sly at April 15, 2008 04:31 PM

put the kids chadors, that'll fix the problem.

Posted by: rick at April 15, 2008 04:41 PM

and that old favorite, Eye'll be watching you.

Posted by: The Police at April 15, 2008 04:49 PM

When everyone is a criminal, then crime will cease to exist.

When everyone is made to be a victim by the Left, then victims cease to exist.

You have to just love the totalitarian double think inherent in such ideology.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at April 15, 2008 07:26 PM

Ymarsakar, I am lighting a candle to Stalin and reciting the planks of the Manifesto on my worry beads. After that, I will close my meditations in the name of Lennon.

Posted by: Cricket at April 15, 2008 07:51 PM

When everyone is a criminal, then crime will cease to exist.

When everyone is made to be a victim by the Left, then victims cease to exist.

You have to just love the totalitarian double think inherent in such ideology.

War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength

Posted by: George Oh Well at April 15, 2008 08:34 PM

Next year, they plan to put laws into effect to correct that pesky "pi" problem.

Many, many children are losing their all-important self-esteem as a result of the fact that "pi" isn't an easy number to remember. This clearly is a problem which calls for legal correction!

I urge you -- all of you -- to call your senators and congresspeople to get this important legislation introduced and passed in the next legislative session!

Then we need to do something about those damned tooth faries!! Clearly, they are all in collusion to "fix" the price of teeth at below-market prices, and this calls for an investigation by the DoJ and the SEC to determine who or what entity is doing this to our children!!

Our poor defenseless children!! Just THINK OF THEM!!

Posted by: obloodyhell at April 16, 2008 08:55 AM

Is ther e a secret contest for ligislators to produce the most ridiculous legislation? This law is utterly uninforcible and ludicrous. Are we asked to respect the law?

Personally I want to see legislation directed at the increasing problem of attempting to lurk. Throw the bums out!

Posted by: Mark at April 16, 2008 11:39 AM

Posted by: George Oh Well at April 15, 2008 08:34 PM

Was that really Mark in Irvine quoting 1984?

Posted by: Ymarsakar at April 16, 2008 12:02 PM

"This law is utterly unenforcible and ludicrous." - I agree, can see it standing up to any court reviewing it ... unless its the The 9th Circuit Court!

Posted by: Frodo at April 16, 2008 02:03 PM

Different Mark, Ymar... different Mark.

Posted by: bthun at April 16, 2008 02:46 PM

OMG, I will say it is a different Mark. I haven't seen Irvine here since Mr. rdr set fire to his hair some months ago.

I see my spelling is trash. Yes, Frodo, the Ninth Circus Court is an embarassment.

Posted by: Mark at April 17, 2008 03:08 PM

For Bob Welch fans..a little trip down memory lane.

No Cass on the parallel bars, though.

Posted by: Cricket at April 17, 2008 05:04 PM

Oh what a hoot, Cricket! I remember dressing up just like that girl in the white (not that I ever saw that video, but that was the eponymous 'look' back then: the hair and everything!). She even looks a bit like I used to when I was young and cute.

Too funny.

Posted by: Cassandra at April 17, 2008 05:26 PM

Actually, gentlemen, that is the same one. It thinks It's being *smart* by using different names.

Posted by: DL Sly at April 17, 2008 06:10 PM

That vid was funny, since inter-racial relationships was a big no no in those days, especially as the adults of the 80s were so traumatized by their teenagehoods that they tried to separate their children in the 90s, even though attitudes had changed.

Cultural shock treatments just aren't effective anymore after a few decades. Although, if you go back a few thousand years, things will probably be very culturally shockable.

Amarx, Cricket to that.

Quick, set down some bait so we'll know for sure.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at April 17, 2008 09:17 PM

That would just encourage It. Let's don't and say we did.

Posted by: DL Sly at April 17, 2008 10:59 PM

Actually, when I first found that video, I just about lost my Le Mon Du Aid. The lipsynching is dreadful. But it was so...70s!

I remember that look: Sundresses, Bare Trap shoes and a tan. Or the stilettos. I never wore them because when I put them on, I could look my dates in the eye...or look down on them if they annoyed me. They increased my height to 6'1".

We used to go to Doc Rickett's Lab and
Disco near Cannery Row if we really wanted to dance.

Ah...tales of my somehwat misspent youth...

Posted by: Cricket at April 18, 2008 07:06 PM