« Steven Vincent, RIP | Main | The Editorial Staff Protests »

April 17, 2008

How We Have Changed

Then.

lflaga2.gif

Now.

Posted by Cassandra at April 17, 2008 08:49 AM

Comments

Now? The following is nothing more than a WAG on my part, well just my opinion offered up from the clearance bin, but nothing invested towards the common good of the nation by most of these twerps, er... make that her citizens, along with their assumption that they are endlessly entitled is at the root of this nonsense.

Toss in an unhealthy derth of consequence for offensive, disrespectful behavior coupled with the same entitled assumptions and we always seem to see the same demonstrations and result from these vapid exercises of pregressive intellect. The resulting obnoxious displays of their right to offend are triumphs against the Great Satan™, at least in their expansive, progressive, fearless minds. Pushing the boundaries against THE MAN.

I'll make a standing offer to contribute towards bail for any who are offended beyond reason and self-control... i.e. consumed as a result of suffering offense beyond reasonable restraint, fighting words...

Posted by: bthun bailbondsman in training at April 17, 2008 11:09 AM

Being a 40 year-old education major, the "artist's" poor choice of mediums for her "art" displays a distinct lack of social maturity. Good thing she's only a substitute teacher.

Posted by: spd rdr at April 17, 2008 12:19 PM

I always wonder, since these folks are so hell bent on 'exploring the boundaries of permissible self-expression in a free society', whether they'd support my right to fully express the beautiful and natural primal feelings that watching them walk all over the American flag arouses in me through a cooperative act of performance art?

I think it could be quite beautiful.

Daring, too :p

Posted by: Cassandra at April 17, 2008 12:28 PM

As others have stated, the flag is more than just "a piece of cloth", it is a symbol of our nation. And one of the thing things it stands for is freedom. I agree that this includes the freedom to disrespect the flag. If we did not allow it, we're disrespecting the flag ourselves by squleching freedom.

HOWEVER... I need to stress this, I would not personally tolerate or condone such disrespect myself. Protest against this disrespect is the only ethical response, though I will admit, I'd be more tempted towards the physical response.

I think the next step would be to test the school's principles of "free speech" by laying out a series of Hizballah flags for students to tread on. Let's see if their high-minded ideals and statements of "it's just a piece of cloth" hold true there, or if they actually hold a double standard (which I suspect).

And by the way, I chose Hizballah as the target because you avoid all accusations of trying to insult a religion or nationality by 'picking on' the symbol of a terrorist organization rather than choosing my second choice (the Iranian flag).

Posted by: MikeD at April 17, 2008 12:46 PM

That's just what I think.

Posted by: Grim at April 17, 2008 12:46 PM

Pardon me -- MikeD jumped in between me and Cass. I meant that Cassandra is expressing "just what I think." Mike and I differ somewhat on what ethics requires.

Posted by: Grim at April 17, 2008 12:47 PM

Actually, a better test would be thee Mexican flag, hombrecito.

Jou hwan to see a beeg fight hover no-theeng? Hou-boy! Put a flag of La Raza on thee floor and stomp on it. Jou will see who tolerates thee "free speech" and who does not, muy pronto.

Es verdad.

Posted by: Chinese Mexican-Jewish-American Lawn Chica at April 17, 2008 12:57 PM

Or... what he said.

Posted by: bthun bailbondsman in training at April 17, 2008 01:00 PM

bthun, I'm going to hold you to that someday....
0>;~}
And, if my assumption is correct, there will probably be at least two of us. Cause, ya know, a good friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting right next to you saying, "Damn, we got caught!"

Posted by: DL Sly at April 17, 2008 01:04 PM

...a cooperative act of performance art?

Ooooh! Ooooh! You can tell them you were channeling *me* and the PTSD kicked in. Neuvelle age *and* victimology? Bee-you-ti-fool...

Posted by: BillT at April 17, 2008 01:05 PM

"Put a flag of La Raza on thee floor and stomp on it."

But, but, but....wouldn't that just be doing the Mexican Rat Dance?

I know, I know, back to the corner.
*sulking away*
Carrie, give me my pointy hat back.
*sigh*

Posted by: DL Sly at April 17, 2008 01:08 PM

Eye yay yay yay yay
Eye yam thee Fritoh Bandito
Yee haw!
I love Fritos Corn cheeps
I love them, I do
Eef you hwere a corn cheep
Then I hwould eat jou...

Posted by: Chinese Mexican-Jewish-American Lawn Chica at April 17, 2008 01:11 PM

That is hwhat the lawn chica used to sing to her muchachos when they were very small.

Eet made them laugh. She does not know why. Probably because she used to commence tickling them on the penultimate (oh how she loves to say that word!) line.

Posted by: Chinese Mexican-Jewish-American Lawn Chica at April 17, 2008 01:13 PM

Done DL Sly... I would count it as an honor to be on the Group W bench beside you or any of the Villainous crew...

Maybe Mr. Rdr Esq. can throw in some pro-bono defense representation.

Posted by: bthun bailbondsman in training at April 17, 2008 01:15 PM

Now you got me curious Grim... what would be (in your estimation) a more ethical response. But as far as flag choice goes, I'd also agree with La Raza. It's not a nation, it's a political organization.

Posted by: MikeD at April 17, 2008 01:32 PM

Duh, nevermind. Just saw it over at B5. Apologies.

Posted by: MikeD at April 17, 2008 01:39 PM

How will you post bail for us if you're in there with us?

Posted by: DL Sly at April 17, 2008 01:55 PM

Mike:

We just had this discussion at Grim's Hall, and are having it today at BlackFive. To your assertion:

"Protest against this disrespect is the only ethical response, though I will admit, I'd be more tempted towards the physical response."

I think the competely ethical response is to recapture the flags, and restore them to honor: and, if necessary, to stand before a court over it, and see if a jury feels you did wrong. I suspect there are very many jurisdictions where the law would, through the jury, commend and ratify your defense of what we likewise hold dear.

Posted by: Grim at April 17, 2008 02:06 PM

Interesting reading on the subject: Seven pages of comments in Maine - much added information.

I'm so angry ... I promised not to sear!

Posted by: Mainedu at April 17, 2008 02:20 PM

"How will you post bail for us if you're in there with us?"
My dearest Walkin' Boss of course.
"Up on Cripple Creek she sends me
If I spring a leak she mends me
I don't have to speak, she defends me
A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one"
Plus she's the CFO anywho... =8^}

Posted by: bthun bailbondsman in training at April 17, 2008 02:40 PM

Oh, that song reminds me so much of high school bthun :p

Good times.
Thanks for the smile.

Posted by: Chinese Mexican-Jewish-American Lawn Chica at April 17, 2008 02:51 PM

"Put a flag of La Raza on thee floor and stomp on it. Jou will see who tolerates thee "free speech" and who does not, muy pronto."
Juo no dat ees roastin my cawpee beans ween jou talk dat way. But it makes me feel sorta like ess stimulating too... and aye caramba, dat make my donkey bery nerbous.

Posted by: Juan Mo Time at April 17, 2008 02:51 PM

That, and this one:

Take me down to memphis town
bus driver get me there
I got me a queenie
she got long brown curly hair
She likes to drink old granddad
and her shoes do shuffle around
And every time I see that gal
Lord she wants to take me down

Posted by: Chinese Mexican-Jewish-American Lawn Chica at April 17, 2008 02:57 PM

Wasn't there a story about a US veteran that took down and thrown away a Mexican flag because the Mexican flag was flying at a university without the US flag anywhere near it?

He got fined and put in jail for that, I believe, on the charge of "destruction of property".

it's a sad day that the flag, any flag which is a symbol of national unity and sacrifice, can be said to be "owned" by anyone.

What a decadent civilization that justifies flag burning and retardedness based upon the Lawfare excuse that "I own this flag".

Yeah, it sucks. It also sucks when Europeans and Arabs bring their sex slaves to the US and count on us to look the other way, but then again that's why the world is a cruel and sucky place.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at April 17, 2008 03:15 PM

The truly ironic thing is that socialism and marxism doesn't give a damn for property rights. Yet they use it to protect themselves. Funny, ain't it.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at April 17, 2008 03:16 PM

Is this what you are remembering Ymar?

Posted by: bthun bailbondsman in training at April 17, 2008 03:31 PM

Cheers to the vet who stood his ground and to the young man who shook his hand and stood with him.

Posted by: Cat at April 17, 2008 05:35 PM

I'd like to do an "art" show too.
I want to express MY freedom of speech. I'm going to lay out Korans on the floor, along with Hamas & Iranian flags; all that sort of stuff. Maybe I'll have a jar of urine with a picture of mohammed in it. Yah. Lets see how far that goes before I get arrested for violating someones / anyones rights.

Posted by: Slet Varthash at April 17, 2008 05:40 PM

"(Please note I won't be heading anywhere East to do this, not anytime soon anyways.)"

You don't have to head East to create an art display. I hear Minneapolis is in need of social commentary disguised as art.

Posted by: DL Sly at April 17, 2008 06:03 PM

Is this what you are remembering Ymar?

The flagpole was on a university in either Colorado or some border state.

The veteran, AF I believe, was a former boyscout as well.

And there was no American flag, literally, anywhere near the Mexican flag.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at April 17, 2008 09:20 PM

The veteran got involved with La Raza too and tried to make apologies and restitution to them for destroying their flag. Of course, you don't make restitution to the lion by groveling towards it. The lion wants meat, not apologies.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at April 17, 2008 09:21 PM

And today, we have the Time Magazine cover defiling that iconic photo you posted at the top...

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at April 18, 2008 04:21 PM

Good thing us contrarians know to stay within our own fences, huh? ;)

Posted by: ry at April 18, 2008 07:34 PM