« Those Who Can't, Teach.... | Main | Elucidating the Obvious »

Ha!

The Recipe For Moi
3 parts Brilliance
2 parts Fearlessness
1 part Drive

Splash of Friendship

Finish off with a squeeze of lime juice
What's the Recipe for Your Personality?

These things always slay me.

Also, after reading Semper Fi Wife's post I decided to take the quick Meyer's Brigg's again just to see what I came out. I was kind of surprised that I came out the same thing I always do. Not sure why I expected anything different. Anyway, then I found this. What a hoot:

Your Love Type: INTP
The Thinker

In love, you are honest and serious about commitment.
For you, sex is something you think about and desire a lot of the time.

Overall, you are pure in your affection and feelings.
However, you tend to be suspicious and distrusting at times.

Best matches: ENTJ and ESTJ
What's Your Love Type?

On the MBriggs, my strongest attribute was Intuition. That makes a lot of sense. During recent years I've tended to trust my gut feelings less and less because I've been consciously trying to develop my more rational side. All in all, I can't say it's been a great success. Perhaps this explains why:

In experiments with laboratory animals reported this spring, Caltech neuroscientist Richard Anderson and his colleagues explored how the effort to plan a movement forces cells throughout the brain to work together, organizing a choice below the threshold of awareness. Tuning in on the electrical dialogue between working neurons, they pinpointed the cells of what they called a "free choice" brain circuit that in milliseconds synchronized scattered synapses to settle on a course of action.

"It suggests we are looking at this actual decision being made," Dr. Anderson said. "It is pretty fast."

And when those networks momentarily malfunction, people do make mistakes. Working independently, psychologist Tom Eichele at Norway's University of Bergen monitored brain activity in people performing routine tasks and discovered neural static -- waves of disruptive signals -- preceded an error by up to 30 seconds. "Thirty seconds is a long time," Dr. Eichele said.

Such experiments suggest that our best reasons for some choices we make are understood only by our cells. The findings lend credence to researchers who argue that many important decisions may be best made by going with our gut -- not by thinking about them too much.

Dutch researchers led by psychologist Ap Dijksterhuis at the University of Amsterdam recently found that people struggling to make relatively complicated consumer choices -- which car to buy, apartment to rent or vacation to take -- appeared to make sounder decisions when they were distracted and unable to focus consciously on the problem.

Moreover, the more factors to be considered in a decision, the more likely the unconscious brain handled it all better, they reported in the peer-reviewed journal Science in 2006. "The idea that conscious deliberation before making a decision is always good is simply one of those illusions consciousness creates for us," Dr. Dijksterhuis said.

Does this make our self-awareness just a second thought?

All this work to deconstruct the mental machinery of choice may be the best evidence of conscious free will. By measuring the brain's physical processes, the mind seeks to know itself through its reflection in the mirror of science.

"We are trying to understand who we are," said Antonio Damasio, director of the Brain and Creativity Institute at the University of Southern California, "by studying the organ that allows you to understand who you are."

Hmmm. Could there be some inherent bias in that process?

Surely there is a study out there on that, too.

Posted by Cassandra at June 27, 2008 12:00 PM

Comments

3 parts Friendship
2 parts Love
1 part Success

Splash of Happiness

Shake vigorously

Okay, I'll go with the "Shake vigorously" bit -- it'll account for the twitch -- but all the *other* ingredients? Nah...

Posted by: BillT at June 27, 2008 12:12 PM

Hey, that's OK. I laughed hysterically at the brilliance.

The lime juice, on the otter heiny...

Posted by: Cass at June 27, 2008 12:15 PM

3 parts Compassion
2 parts Success
1 part Recklessness

Splash of Intuition
Shake vigorously

Oh yeah, compassion... yup, that me alright enough... Ah, what's in a name anyway?

BTW, can anyone pitch in to help me pay for that guitar?

Posted by: Bluto at June 27, 2008 12:27 PM

Mine is so incongruous it left me scratching my head.

3 parts Power
2 parts Tolerance
1 part Pizzazz

Splash of Ambition

Finish off with whipped cream.

That makes no sense, but it does make me laugh.

Posted by: Allen at June 27, 2008 04:09 PM

3 parts Intensity
2 parts Naughtiness
1 part Superiority

Splash of Fascination

Chug!

Appeared when I used the name sis gave me. Which became my official, legal moniker.

I'm going to have to send her this.

Posted by: bthun at June 27, 2008 04:20 PM

The lime juice, on the otter heiny...

...makes leaves stick to it.

Posted by: BillT at June 27, 2008 05:14 PM

On an abbriviated MBriggs I scored ESFP. Dunno how accurately that fits, but there you go.

Posted by: MikeD at June 27, 2008 06:49 PM

INTP is supposed to be like 1 percent of humanity. I know that because it's what I always score -- I think I've taken every psych profile ever designed at one time or another, for employment purposes. It's one of the reasons I tend to think of psychology as a crock of... er, pseudoscience. It's not out of ignorance! :)

Posted by: Grim at June 27, 2008 07:07 PM

Yeah baby.

But what a 1%!

(the Chinese toy-loving minions of the richest 1%!)

Posted by: Sister Mary Bag O'Metaphors at June 27, 2008 07:22 PM

According to this version of the I-ching, I fell into an INTJ crevasse. The scientist.

Sheesh, as exciting as a benign epidermic growth... *sigh* Busted again. =:-[

Posted by: bthun at June 27, 2008 07:42 PM

Sheesh, as exciting as a benign epidermic growth

Nonsense, bthun.

Err... your cheeks should have been bright pink ... :) Ummm... well, you know what I mean.

Posted by: Sister Mary Bag O'Metaphors at June 27, 2008 07:50 PM

Your Love Type: ISFP

I guess i like women who can color coordinate things, cause I sure as heck can't. But the "Artist"? Now that's something to take home with ya.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at June 27, 2008 07:56 PM

These things always sound like Madame Cleo; everyone is brilliant, and will meet a rich, handsome/beautiful partner, etc.

I, on the other hand, can't help but notice all the bumbling, moronic, inconsiderate fartknockers out there whenever I leave the militia compound. For example, on my way to the bank today, I couldn't help but notice the rocket scientist who decided to make a right hand turn from the far left lane. Brianna (I assume, although she could have been a Blair or Madison or Tiffany), apparently thought that she was the only person on the road that day, despite the presence of all the rest of us desperately slamming on our brakes, and she just had to give in to whatever spastic impulse hit her at that moment.

Then, at the grocery store, I was impressed with the courtesy and polite manners of those persons who believed that they must block the entire aisle whenever they stop to look at a food item. Personally, I thought the shopping cart turned crosswise to ensure complete and total aisle blockage was a little much, but that couple didn't seem to care. They did look shocked when I rammed into their cart with my own to allow me and the four women backed up behind me to pass through, but I thought one courtesy deserves another. You pretend I don't exist, and I'll pretend you don't exist.

Therefore, in short, when one of these "tests" tells someone they are one part lazy, two-parts dumbass, and begs for them to sterilize themselves for the sake of the rest of the gene pool, then I'll be interested, but not till then.

Posted by: a former european at June 27, 2008 08:00 PM

Err... your cheeks should have been bright pink ... :)

Think what color they could've been had that been a three-way.................phone call, that is.
heh

0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at June 27, 2008 08:07 PM

Hey, afe, that sounds like a typical payday commissary *adventure*.

Posted by: DL Sly at June 27, 2008 08:11 PM

By the way, have I ever mentioned my secret, precious dream to you? It is to have a ball turret mounted to the top of my car. Yes, that's right, a real, WWII-era, dual .50 caliber, Flying Fortress or Superfortress ball turret. Think Memphis Belle, for you non-historical types.

I came to Arizona long ago to attend the University of Arizona in Tucson. There is a huge airforce/SAC base there called Davis-Monthan. On the outskirts of the base, the Air Force has been mothballing planes and parts of planes ever since WWII. You can see miles and miles of every kind of plane imaginable, from F-4s, to A-6/7s, B-29s to C-4s and everything in between. This includes the old WWII bombers with ball turrets still attached.

My dream is to buy one of those turrets, install it on the roof of my vehicle, and obtain a 007-style license to kill, but restricted only for the killing of dumbasses on the road. I geh-rawn-tee you that there would be a lot more respect for the rules of the road if they were enforce with .50 caliber tracer fire! Plus removing the few jackasses who imperil the rest of us responsible drivers would ultimately save lives over the long run.

Perhaps I should start a petition. Remember, do it for the children.

Posted by: a former european at June 27, 2008 08:16 PM

I've always wanted a couple of Baja-rated, Jeep Wranglers with heavy duty, *oh sh!t* roll bars -- complete with 1 mil. candlewatt fog lights and .50 cals mounted on top......for, uh...., "homeland" defense! Yeah, yeah, that's it...homeland defense.....

0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at June 27, 2008 08:40 PM

""Carrie and I were just talking about you on the phone the other day. Your ears should have been burning :p
Err... your cheeks should have been bright pink ... :)

heh

0>;~} "

Sly... Ahhh, ahhh...

Yeah, Yeah afe, I hear ya on a ma-duce in a cupola on the ole pickup. Or maybe an ADS unit similar to the one they recently tested at Moody AFB in South Ga.

Ahhh, ahhh.... I think I'm gonna take a shower now. ={8^0

Posted by: bthun at June 27, 2008 08:58 PM

INTP

I am an INTJ on the reeeeeally long versions, though.

Posted by: Mac at June 27, 2008 09:32 PM

AFE,
I don't think you'll ever get that .50 cal mount on your car, but your could get......a bulldozer!

If I Had A Bulldozer (Heywood Banks)

In this day and age,
In this big old troubled world,
Where the little guy ain't got a chance
There's only one thing I can think of
That could make a difference...

If I had a bulldozer
Everything would be so fine
I would never have to move it over
Never have to stand in line

If I had a bulldozer
Thereā€™d be lots of parking places
I'd just look for that brand-new Corvette
Taking up two spaces

If I had a diesel rig,
With a big old blade,
Treads just like a tank,
I would have it made
Courtesy would reign,
Arguments would cease,
'Cause everyone would know
I'd squash them like a cheeeeeeeese!!!

If I had a bulldozer
My application would go through
My boss would run to get my coat
If I decided to leave by two

If I had a bulldozer
The IRS would never chide
And you know an audit would really go quickly
With a 'dozer idling outside

If I had a diesel rig,
With a big old blade,
Treads just like a tank,
I would have it made
Courtesy would reign,
Arguments abate,
'Cause everyone would know
I'd squash them like a graaaaaaaaape!!!

If I had a bulldozer
All the doors would open up
People'd treat me with a lot more respect
Or I'd knock 'em down and squash 'em up

If I had a diesel rig,
With a big old blade
The world would be a better place!

********
Something to consider.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at June 27, 2008 09:40 PM

AFE,

Re:

"...killing of dumbasses on the road..."

If you du not have a bulllll-dozer handy, ya might wanna take a moment to enjoy this har li'l vidjo during which ya can say things like - stay in yor lane idjot! do tha speed limit bozo, get off my bumper Mario! turn signals optional in that model jerk? - and bask in tha daily commute like Zen of tha moment. Ever driven 285 round Hotlanter leading up to and taperin off frum rush har?

As a mooood enhancer, you can enjoy plinking B-16/OBL targets out tha back door while enjoying yor favert alcoholic beverge. Well it werks fer me. =8^}

The best part is, no felonious assaults were committed nor .50 cal ammo wuz wasted in the making of tha vidjo so ya aint gotta call Rusty "one ear" Brick fer bail money.

Posted by: Larry at June 27, 2008 10:46 PM

Ooooh, Sly -- have I got a vehicle for *you* over here...

Posted by: BillT at June 28, 2008 06:45 AM

Tease.

Posted by: DL Sly at June 28, 2008 12:05 PM

Tease? Li'l ol' *moi*?

Street-legal, too.

Posted by: BillT at June 28, 2008 01:36 PM

Oh, that's very nice.....can a girl get one in a jet-black convertable? It's no fun if ya ain't getting mud in your teeth....

Posted by: DL Sly at June 28, 2008 09:23 PM

Long about wintertime, you won't be complaining of a lack of mud out Iraq way.

Posted by: Grim at June 28, 2008 09:46 PM

It's As-Is, but you could get the lid modified if you know a body shop with a high intensity laser or a tactical nuclear weapon.

Oh, yeah -- might want to start your own bio-diesel plant. It gets about 3gpm. Not mpg.

Doing your own reloads for the .50 cal and the grenade-spitter is the way to go. Ammo gets "expensive" when the bullet weighs more than a stuffed marmoset.

Posted by: BillT at June 29, 2008 03:03 AM

Bah! The stuffed marmoset -- it is an abomination in the eyes of Allah! For this sinfulness alone, we will kill all of you Western idolater servants of the Great Satan! Kill! Kill! KKIIIIILLLLLLL!

As it was written by The Prophet (pbuh), In Sutra eleventy-seven, "Let not the Evil One, the foul bringer of corruption, the Stuffed Marmoset, enter into your households! Unclean is he who holds the Stuffed Marmoset, and cursed will his family be unto the seventh generation!"

May Allah, the merciful and lovingkind, smite thee and grind thy bones into dust, idolaters! Our nuclear program will soon end the Marmoset menace!

Oh, almost forget, and don't forget to kill the jews as well. Next Thursday, will have Islamic debate at Holy Mosque and Weapons shop. Topic will be "Resolved: who is more evil, stuffed marmosets or jews?".

Remember what the Mullah always says, when in doubt: KILL!

-- Mullah Mohammed Omar bin Yousef

Posted by: a former european at June 29, 2008 04:33 PM

The Protector

In love, you strive to have the perfect relationship.
For you, sex is nearly a spiritual experience, a bonding of souls.

Overall, you have high expectations for any relationship you're in.
However, you tend to hold back a part of yourself.

Best matches: ENTP and ENFP

Yer safe from me!

Posted by: John of Argghhh! at June 30, 2008 11:52 AM

Darn. Totally forgot about that Love Type quiz.

And I shall continue to do so.

Posted by: BillT at June 30, 2008 12:06 PM

Yanno... I never know what direction these threads are going to take.

Scary. Very scary. FWIW, John, my husband isn't either of the types they say are supposed to be ideal for me. Whatever :p

What the heck are you? An ISTJ?

Posted by: Cassandra at June 30, 2008 01:20 PM

Oh, and afe...

I painted my toes this weekend... just for you :)

Posted by: Cassandra at June 30, 2008 01:21 PM

Seriously? You painted the whole toe? All of them? Wow......most people just paint the nail......Is that to better coordinate with your cheese danish bikini? Or does it help maintain grip on the trapeze bar?

*skipping away through the trees and breeze*
heh
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at June 30, 2008 02:58 PM

Eckshually, I'm an INFJ, according to them.

Posted by: John of Argghhh! at June 30, 2008 04:54 PM