« Funniest Political Quotes | Main | What Does Cass Think??? »

June 24, 2008

Sacre Bleu!!!

Via MathMom, the Editorial Staff learned (to our vast amusement) that our humble site is included in this map of the political blatherosphere.

pol_map.jpg

Frankly, we are mildly shocked ... and not at all certain that there has not been a tragic mistake of some sort. However, our position on the map does make sense, given our linking policy.

At any rate, check out the map. We found the Fish Eye view interesting.

Posted by Cassandra at June 24, 2008 08:27 AM

Comments

What I found fascinating is that you're listed as further right than Michelle Malkin (which is not the case in my experience). I guess their algorithm isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Posted by: MikeD at June 24, 2008 10:18 AM

I noticed that too...Cass is far right of centre.
*thud*

I also got a huge kick out of the centrist blogs that are yellow...

heh.

Posted by: Cricket at June 24, 2008 10:48 AM

An FYI for the Blog Goddess, your comments redirect for the funniest political quotes goes no where ... or was this a subtle comment on the state of the 2008 election?

Posted by: Frodo at June 24, 2008 11:47 AM

The reason Cass appears to the right of Malkin is that the mapping program tracks left-right by links (which are quantifiable), rather than by making a judgment on the content of the commentary. Malkin often links to progressive/MSM sites to comment on them; Cass often prefers to link right-wing bloggers who are commenting on the original story.

This gives her an opportunity to encourage discussion within the community; it also protects her from some left-wing trolling by putting up a firewall between her and the original piece. This preserves some of the quality of discourse here, without the hard-core filters we have to use at BlackFive (which have been a major disruption to the discussion -- I hate the thing).

That strikes me as a wise and thoughtful policy. Female bloggers seem to draw greater than average numbers of trolls, and a worse kind. For some reason, a certain kind of person really loves to go around trying to upset women. I'm not sure if it's because they're afraid of them, or contemptuous of them, but either way, it's a pronounced trend. Unfortunately, the internet empowers the worst of humanity as well as the best.

By putting another right wing site in between you and the original target, you're cutting down the number of potential trolls by an order of magnitude. People tracking commentary using aggregators like Memeorandum won't ever see that you commented on the article they're tracking at all; and trolls just seeking the first soft target will stop at the first right-wing blog out, rather than following the trail back here.

Posted by: Grim at June 24, 2008 12:27 PM

Zoot alores! Did you check out which blog is immedicately to the south of VC? Goo dcompany, Cass.

Posted by: spd rdr at June 24, 2008 12:28 PM

Heh. I'm not too much farther into the herd than you are... I'm lounging in Blackfive's shadow.

My impression from the graphic wasn't that being on the periphery meant you were farther one way or another - it was a measure of authority, the reach of your voice.

All the biggies of both sides cluster in the middle, with the rest of us being back-benchers.

Posted by: John of Argghhh! at June 24, 2008 12:29 PM

Grim's right.... errr... correct :p

Sorry - I've been busy. I didn't have time to read up on this - I thought it was more a reflection on how much you link (and I rarely link to ANY other blogs, as a matter of fact - I link more to op-eds and newspapers). But Grim has a point: I do try to avoid flame wars.

It's not that I won't link to a lefty site. I have done so in the past. But I don't go looking for fights, and I don't make fun of people I disagree with.

I have linked to Greenwald when he made an argument I thought needed refuting. Sadly, he has lapsed into irrelevance, so I rarely link anymore: I'm not interested in food fights. If I find a left site articulating an idea I think should be argued, I'll link. Often, if I link to a righty blog, I'm disagreeing with them :p

Posted by: Cassandra at June 24, 2008 12:41 PM

Fixed, Frodo!

There was something wrong with the server this morning. That post never completely posted. It had frozen up - thanks for the heads up.

Posted by: Cassandra at June 24, 2008 12:43 PM

If only I were as smart as he is, spd :p
Then maybe I could finish his (*&^ book!

Posted by: Cassandra at June 24, 2008 01:16 PM

"Then maybe I could finish his (*&^ book!"

Wellllll........, yanno......, if you weren't so easily distracted by things of a *Biblical* nature -- "apple-shaped" and "snake-like" (complete with sound effects!) come first to mind -- you could probably finish a book, judge a contest or get a full night's sleep.

heh
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at June 24, 2008 02:06 PM

With DL Sly, it's all about the contests. And the innuendo. Geez, does this woman have a one track, or two track mind, or what? :)

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at June 24, 2008 04:25 PM

Mostly it is about flicking stuff at the blog princess :p

Posted by: Indiana Jones at June 24, 2008 04:37 PM

(which have been a major disruption to the discussion -- I hate the thing).

You should see the kind of problems Neo-neocon had with filters and trolls.

Predators pick on those that they perceive to be weak or what their friends perceive to be weak. Women are considered, not only physically, to be weak but also verbally in the sense that they will try hard not to be aggressive, thus allowing the predator to keep on attacking and maintaining a perpetual high.

The Donovan site should take care all of most of that stuff.

yanno......

That was funny.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at June 24, 2008 06:40 PM

You're in good company. Victor Davis Hansen is in your neighborhood, and so is Michael Yon.

Try other things, like "Hide All" then "show conservative". You can click on a circle and show the links. You can zoom in & out (either with a scrolling mouse or the bar under the small view window. When you get close enough in, each circle shows its URL. (Bill Whittle's in there too.)

Fun, but no great insights.

Posted by: ZZMike at June 24, 2008 09:08 PM