« Tony Snow's Amazing Grace | Main | To Love, Honor, And Cherish »

July 15, 2008

Condolences

Back when I was a child,
before life removed all the innocence
My father would lift me high
and dance with my mother and me and then
Spin me around ‘til I fell asleep
Then up the stairs he would carry me
And I knew for sure I was loved
If I could get another chance, another walk,
another dance with him
I’d play a song that would never, ever end
How I’d love, love, love
To dance with my father again

When I and my mother would disagree
To get my way, I would run from her to him
He’d make me laugh just to comfort me
Then finally make me do just what my mama said
Later that night when I was asleep
He left a dollar under my sheet
Never dreamed that he would be gone from me

If I could steal one final glance,
one final step, one final dance with him
I’d play a song that would never, ever end
‘Cause I’d love, love, love
To dance with my father again

Sly's father passed away last night. Besides supporting me during the year my husband was gone, Sly is a long-time lobber of snark here at VC under various monikers, one of a few who has posted here from time to time, and someone I feel privileged to consider a very dear friend. Please leave your best wishes in the comments section.

Posted by Cassandra at July 15, 2008 05:19 AM

Comments

Deepest condolences, Sly. Prayers with you.

Posted by: Gregory at July 15, 2008 05:47 AM

Would that I had the words to erase your pain without erasing the memories, Lady Sly. Write your sorrow in the sand...

Posted by: BillT at July 15, 2008 06:35 AM

My Dad was the first man this princess's life, and he has always been there for me. I pray that God will hold you and your family in the palm of His hand, my friend.

Posted by: Cassandra at July 15, 2008 07:29 AM

My deepest condolences for your loss.

Posted by: Grim at July 15, 2008 08:21 AM

I'm so sorry, Sly.

Posted by: HomefrontSix at July 15, 2008 08:37 AM

You will always be your Daddy's little girl, Sly, and he will always be your Hero.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your Mom.

Posted by: MaryAnn at July 15, 2008 09:08 AM

There really no words that can give comfort, but I truly do wish there were. You have my ernest condolences, and my prayers go out to you and your family.

Posted by: MikeD at July 15, 2008 09:37 AM

Sly you have my sincere condolences too.

Posted by: bthun at July 15, 2008 09:46 AM

Oh Sly, I'm so sorry. I remember you talking about him when I visited you. He sounded like a fascinating person, and it was obvious that you loved him very much.

*hugs*

Posted by: FbL at July 15, 2008 11:45 AM

Thank you, every one. Your thoughts are truly appreciated.

My father loved his *Mountain William* music, and he loved to laugh. So, in honor of those qualities:

I will always remember him singing this song by one of his favorite singers to my Mom.

I love you, Pop.

Posted by: DL Sly at July 15, 2008 12:41 PM

My grandfather passed away a few years ago and I will always remember that there were far greater and more numerous memories of my being with him, than the single time and place of his death.

Sly, it always seems to help to remember the good times and realize they reached deeper than the single gap between life and death.

I am not good at condolences and I don't like giving them. Perhaps it is because I find regret far sadder than death.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 15, 2008 02:55 PM

My condolences, too, Sly. May you find better days ahead.

Posted by: htom at July 15, 2008 02:56 PM

Your father held your hand when you were too small to stand, Sly. The good news is that he won't let go of it, not ever. Godspeed.

Posted by: spd rdr at July 15, 2008 03:29 PM

It is always hard to find the words at a time like this, Ymar. So I am grateful for you and Bill and spd. You are finding the words that I don't seem to be able to, today.

I find that the more that is in my heart, the more tongue tied I get. Today I am struggling with a work schedule that is out of control and eyeballs that are leaking like mad.

Thank you.

Posted by: Cassandra at July 15, 2008 04:08 PM

I find that the more that is in my heart, the more tongue tied I get.

That's because women have more access ports from her mind to her heart, allowing all those emotions to surge forward into the brain like the Information Super Highway ;)

Men have limited connections (and conceptions) and thus we aren't inundated as often by such things.

I wouldn't know about the work schedule, but concerning the eyeballs, that might be because it is leaking, literally, the data and emotions from your brain, which is itself only conveying the outbursts of the heart.

Thank you.

I am always at your service, Your Grace.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 15, 2008 04:37 PM

That's because women have more access ports from her mind to her heart, allowing all those emotions to surge forward into the brain like the Information Super Highway...

No, it's true for me too. The more severe the times, the more I fall back onto formality and courtesy. When hearts are broken, originality is not your friend. Emotions are deep and trouble the tongue, and there is no way to be sure that what you want to say will carry.

Sometimes, when things are their worst, "My condolences" is all that a good man can say. It's not enough, but it is all you have. The parable of the Widow's Mite shows, though, that no one can give more than all he has.

Posted by: Grim at July 15, 2008 05:38 PM

May the memories of good times with your father balm your sorrows.

chsw

Posted by: chsw at July 15, 2008 05:41 PM

The silver cord may be snapped, the golden bowl lies broken, the pitcher shattered at the fountain, the wheel broken at the cistern, the dust returned to the earth as it was, but the spirit returns to God who gave it.

May God return a full measure of comfort to you in this time of sorrow and uplift you with the laughter and peace of memories while you wait for the joyful reunion. Please know that you have my sympathy and you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Posted by: UinenMaia at July 15, 2008 06:56 PM

"The more severe the times, the more I fall back onto formality and courtesy. When hearts are broken, originality is not your friend."
Aye. I still choke on words, particularly in this situation, my dad having passed almost two decades ago.

But I do know one thing about this, it is as Mr. Rdr said. When I question myself, there dad is, whispering his lessons to me.

The Angels now have him in their care Sly.

Posted by: bthun at July 15, 2008 07:26 PM

My deepest condolences and prayers Sly. May God watch over your family in this time of grieving his death and celebrating his life.

Posted by: KJ at July 15, 2008 09:56 PM

Nothing is enough at such time, but words are only a fraction of the communication. And it often seems the fewer words, the more is communicated... especially when it is a good man or woman doing the communicating.

Posted by: FbL at July 15, 2008 10:43 PM

Looking at the empty comment box...
well..what can I do?
You know I'm here. You know that I would do anything to fix it.
I'm just here, Sly. Whatever you need.

Posted by: Carrie at July 15, 2008 11:06 PM

A couple of years ago, I almost lost my father...so I knew for a brief moment what that feels like, although thus far he's still with us.

I hope your grief does not overwhelm you, but of course it is perfectly natural (and necessary!) to grieve. Hang in there...

Posted by: camojack at July 16, 2008 04:00 AM