« Pass the Smelling Salts... | Main | *snort* »

July 31, 2008

Did Somebody Say "Race Card"?

Why will "nobody" call him on it????

Nobody here but us "nobodies"...

... Could you work the words "fear", "afraid", "scary", and "black" in there just a few more times, Barry? Because I'm "afraid" voters might miss the point.

You know, that you're... like, totally ... black. And the bad, scary Republicans want us to be afraid of you. Because you're so ... black. Even though you're half white. Which we're not supposed to talk about, because that would be focusing on race and you were so hoping we could get beyond that, I know. Damned Republicans. If only they'd quit bringing up the fact.

That you're black. And we should fear you.

Odd tactic, for a man liberals keep saying is so likable and non-threatening he may well be our first woman president. The looming menace must express itself in a disarmingly feminine, non-threatening way.

Which is why the Republicans have to keep reminding everyone of your essential Blackitude and scariliciousness. It's subtle, man. Under the radar, sub rosa, float like a butterfly sting like a bee .... BAM!!! That's what makes you dangerous. You're a dangerous black man, with an Ivy League education. You use words like numchuks.

Boo!

CWCID: Linda SOG's brilliant Cynthia McKinney card

Posted by Cassandra at July 31, 2008 03:15 PM

Comments

But does he also carry a Narcissist's Club card?

Recognized in all of the self-described best establishments from Washington, D.C., to Chicago, to Hollywood... and world wide.

The Narcissist's Club card. Demand yours today.

Posted by: bt_what-me-worry_hun at July 31, 2008 04:56 PM

But you misunderstood. Also from The Corner:

"What Barack Obama was talking about was that he didn't get here after spending decades in Washington," [Obama spokesman] Gibbs said. "There is nothing more to this than the fact that he was describing that he was new to the political scene. He was referring to the fact that he didn't come into the race with the history of others. It is not about race."

See? He didn't mean it the way you (and everyone else who heard it) thought he meant it. He's more nuanced than that. And the fact that everyone in America thought he was playing the race card is just further proof we're all racist.

Posted by: EliseK at July 31, 2008 04:59 PM

True. All true.

You are wise, for a typical white person. But more importantly, HOW DARE YOU MENTION RACE???

/hand to forehead

Why, oh why, won't they let me forget? It is almost as bad as what they did to poor John Kerry with Vietnam.

Posted by: Hope-ama at July 31, 2008 05:13 PM

If they swiftboated Kerry, are they now carding Obama?

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 31, 2008 05:30 PM

I listened to Hannity this afternoon, and he was interviewing the guy that wrote that "Swiftboat" book about Kerry. He's got a new one coming out about Obama - using Obama's own words - to expose him for the radical leftist he (Obama) is. It's called The Obama Nation (with some subtitle about Leftists and the Cult of Personality), so don't you know the author is in for some blowback. But, he says he'll stand by all 700-some footnotes in the 300+ page book.

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at July 31, 2008 06:28 PM

This is a tempest in a teapot. Obama didn't call anyone a racist. All he did was include an illusion to racism when he recited a litany of things that the McCain campaign or their supporters might do when they begin a fear-based attack campaign, which is coming any day now.

This actually is worse for the Right than for Obama. It raises some questions about "protesting too much".

Posted by: Jeffrey at July 31, 2008 07:22 PM

Great editorial in today's New York Times on this subject - short and to the point.

Posted by: Jeffrey at July 31, 2008 09:39 PM

Again: that's nuts. If McCain believed that popular concern about miscegenation was going to drive people at the ballot box, all he'd have to do is regularly mention 'Though I disagree with my opponent on many questions, we can see how great it is that we live in a country where his father, a black man from Kenya, could marry a white woman from Kansas and produce a US Senator. Barack Obama is the product of just such a union, which speaks to the progress and forgiveness of our nation.'

Does he? Never.

Does Obama? He said almost exactly that in Berlin. And in his ad on patriotism. And in his book. And in numerous stump speeches. He says it all the time.

It should be clear that Obama believes that the American people will receive that story as a positive -- and the Europeans, too. He's not worried about Americans being afraid of, or horrified by, miscegenation.

That's a good thing, but it should also dispel the notion that this is some secret code ad. If McCain wanted to play that card, he could play it directly and in a way that would simply repeat what his own opponent is saying.

What's going on, rather, is the old "any stick will do" ploy. If McCain includes pictures of Britney and Paris Hilton, the ad is code for miscegenation and the ad, therefore, is racist.

On the other hand, if McCain had produced an ad likening Obama to Ludicris, who recently produced a remarkable piece of, ah, poetry for Obama; or Mike Tyson; or indeed made the comparison chiefly to another black figure, as when Bill Clinton compared Obama's campaign to Jesse Jackson's; that would be suggesting that Obama should be seen as "the black candidate" -- and the ad, therefore, is racist.

And if you had both the white woman and the black figure -- does that dispel the racism? No, that's the worst of both worlds! It's double racist!

Now, you've seen me stand up for Obama against actual racist language, xenophobic language, and whatnot. I think you should try to do the same for McCain. He's behaved well here, and deserves some credit -- even from his opponents. Especially so since, as you have kept telling us, Obama has nothing to fear from McCain in the upcoming election.

Posted by: Grim at July 31, 2008 10:45 PM

I don't think McCain is in charge of his own campaign, Grim. I think its being run by ex-Karl Rove campaigners and it will get progressively more ugly and fear-based. That's what they know has won elections in the past.

Now let me be clear that I don't believe John McCain will PERSONALLY ever stoop so low as to attack Obama on the subject of his race. I do believe that other groups outside of the McCain organization will, and that his own campaign leadership will push out more low-based attack ads hitting on the populations various fears, which may include race. As I said in a post at your blog, Clinton Democrats in KY have already said they won't vote for a black President during the primaries. It's not unreasonable for Obama to predict such things and it certainly isn't "playing the race card".

Posted by: Jeffrey at July 31, 2008 11:43 PM

I don't think McCain is in charge of his own campaign, Grim.

That's his answer to your challenge of fairness, Grim.

Always attack the other guy. Attack, attack, attack. It's simple tactics, if not exactly subtle.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at August 1, 2008 12:17 AM

While it might not have been the wisest thing Obama could have said, in terms of race-related comments, it comes nowhere near McCain's dipshit "gook" comment. Maybe there's a decent reason that Obama suspects racism in McCain.

Posted by: kirk at August 1, 2008 02:56 AM

All he did was include an illusion to racism when he recited a litany of things that the McCain campaign...

"Illusion" may actually be closer to the mark than "allusion" would have...

Posted by: BillT at August 1, 2008 05:09 AM

"Illusion" may actually be closer to the mark than "allusion" would have..."

Damn, I've been wounded by a grammar flame. I hate it when that happens.

Posted by: Jeffrey at August 1, 2008 10:15 AM

I've been wounded by a grammar flame.

Geez, ya try to give a guy credit for being *nuanced* and whaddya get?

Posted by: BillT at August 1, 2008 10:39 AM

I'm stayin' outta this... My proofreader was recently rounded up at a ConAgra Chicken processing plant and sent home.

Posted by: bt_what-me-worry_hun at August 1, 2008 10:44 AM

Like, wait a minute. Is there a black guy running for president?

Posted by: Paris H at August 1, 2008 01:41 PM

Geez, ya try to give a guy credit for being *nuanced* and whaddya get?

If grammar includes using the right words, like sternum rather than scrotum, then that's the entirety of the English language right there.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at August 1, 2008 02:16 PM

From soup to nuts, as it were...

Posted by: BillT at August 1, 2008 03:04 PM

I have been saying that my opponents (or their surrogates) are going to be appealing to racism for months now, and while it hasn't happened yet I'm sure it's just around the corner. Or maybe the next one, or the one after that. Well, certainly sometime before the election. Or maybe it'll be after I win in order to derail my first couple of initiatives. Unless it's during my campaign for a second term. But maybe they'll wait until after I win a second term and try to ruin my Legacy. But, at the very least, it'll be before the end of the last two years after I leave office, but still dealing with foreign leaders.

I'm certain of it. Any day now.

Posted by: Barack "Any Day Now" Obama at August 1, 2008 03:16 PM

Today is the day!

bthun and I were just now talking about the appeal of the Air Races in Reno...

Posted by: BillT at August 1, 2008 04:34 PM

See, I told ya! You guys think that just because Air Races are at higher altitude that they are somehow "above" the "lower" races like NASCAR.

Will the race-ism of my opponents never stop?!

Posted by: Barack "NASCAR" Obama at August 1, 2008 04:51 PM

You guys think that just because Air Races are at higher altitude...

Heh. Some of the Unlimited Class guys fly lower than the average tailgate party. Not lower than a Chicago pol, though.

Ooooh -- bathyscaphe races...

Posted by: BillT at August 1, 2008 05:00 PM

From soup to nuts, as it were...

it is also rather ironic for Jeff here, Bill, to speak of grammar flame wars for misusing words when the first thing he wrote here, to my recall, was about how he thought Grim was wordy but that I used even more superfluous words.

At least, my words mean what I want them to mean. That has to count for something, right, Bill?

Posted by: Ymarsakar at August 1, 2008 05:33 PM

Swiftboating Kerry and Racecarding Obama. Will the Republican terror tactics never stop? Will their KKK and black codes never be erased from American history, so that blacks will vote for the party that always had their best interests at heart, the Democrat party?

Posted by: Ymarsakar at August 1, 2008 05:34 PM

I got a new def for KKK. SwiftKoating Kerry and RaceKarding Barry. KKK.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at August 1, 2008 05:36 PM

Jeffrey, that's 'allusion'.
Ymarkasar corrects my bad verbage allatime, so I am passing the whacking on down to you.

What is the interest rate on the card?

Posted by: Cricket at August 1, 2008 05:39 PM

"What is the interest rate on the card?"
28% guilt, in perpetuity.

Posted by: bt_what-me-worry_hun at August 1, 2008 05:43 PM

I only know because I read the fine print on the statement I received in the mail with the reparations past due notice. And my peeps were Scots & Irish dirt farmers who barely owned themselves.

Posted by: bt_what-me-worry_hun at August 1, 2008 05:46 PM

Thanks, Cricket, but Bill has already not only pointed out my mistake but gets double points for turning it into a back-handed compliment.

Posted by: Jeffrey at August 1, 2008 08:14 PM

Bill beat you on that one.

He's fast like that.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at August 1, 2008 09:25 PM

Ymarkasar corrects my bad verbage allatime

I rather think I'm just asking questions if I don't comprehend something ; )

If I know what people meant and I think they got it wrong, then I'll correct it only, usually, if I am proofreading and editing their novel/short story.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at August 1, 2008 09:27 PM

Oops! Now it turns out the dollar bill remark *was* about race:

From neo-neocon

Posted by: EliseK at August 1, 2008 10:03 PM

Heh, I saw that Elise.

And Hot Air points out that Axelrod admitted, Obama was referring to race.

Might be why I gave up in the middle of the did to, did not food-fight and took the air race tangent with Bill.

Posted by: bt_what-me-worry_hun at August 1, 2008 10:57 PM

As they say, who are you going to believe? BO or your lying eyes and ears?

Posted by: bt_what-me-worry_hun at August 1, 2008 11:00 PM

He's fast like that.

Yup.

If Tolkein had known me, LOTR would've been three sentences.

"Bilbo handed the Ring to Bill, who promptly stuck it to a Willie-Pete grenade with 100-league-per-hour tape, hooked it to his SRU-21P and cranked the Huey. Halfway to Mordor. he activated the aux fuel switch, jettisoned the doors, and test-fired the minis into the Orc Horde approaching Minas Tirith, reducing it to a re-enforced squad. Fighting the extreme turbulence on his NOE flight up the boulder-strewn slopes of Mount Doom, dodging bolides and hosing stray Nazgûl with both minis, he crested the summit, rolled into a 90° bank, backhanded the Willie Pete and its passenger -- *bloop!* -- into the seething cauldron below. Sauron and the Hosts of Mordor wandered off dispiritedly to form a rock group in Seattle."

Okay, okay -- LOTR would've been four sentences...

Posted by: BillT at August 2, 2008 05:04 AM

If Tolkein had known me, LOTR would've been three sentences.

That's not fast. That's cheating.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at August 2, 2008 03:44 PM

Okay, so I skipped over the part where I called a TOT on Saruman's digs as a feint to distract the Uruk-Hai triple-A. Geez, you're picky...

Posted by: BillT at August 2, 2008 04:54 PM

I still think old Frodo should have stuck that dagger in Saruie's eye.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at August 2, 2008 05:11 PM

*tsk*...

That's what battery acid is for.

Posted by: BillT at August 2, 2008 05:29 PM

Heh, I saw that Elise.
And Hot Air points out that Axelrod admitted, Obama was referring to race.

You are wise beyond wisdom, bt_w-m-w_hun.

Posted by: EliseK at August 3, 2008 11:34 AM

Thanks Elise but I think it's just a benefit of being endowed with a short attention spa...
What?

Posted by: bt_what-me-worry_hun at August 3, 2008 12:00 PM

Obama playing the race card? I sorta thought the Halo card had a little more influence upon the cowering masses. The only card he can't play is the honesty card. It has to have this somewhere in the statement - "I am a socialist"

Posted by: Don L at August 4, 2008 01:20 PM

Speaking of McKinney: this paragon of virtue, this wise woman, is the Green Party candidate for President:

McKinney for President

By a happy coincidence, the very next item in the Search is:

McKinney campaign needs help.

That one is from the Worker's World.

The VP candidate is Rosa Clemente, billed as a "hip-hop activist".

Monty Python, eat your heart out.

kirk: "it comes nowhere near McCain's dipshit "gook" comment."

I give him credit for toning that down a bit. McCain's time at the Hanoi Hilton gives him the warrant for those feelings.

Speaking of Mnoty Python, BillT gets the "Summarizing Proust Contest" Medal for the Tolkien telegraph.

Posted by: ZZMike at August 4, 2008 04:33 PM

SENATOR OBAMA, PLEASE LET AMERICA IN ON YOUR THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS CONCERNING THIS US JUDICIAL INJUSTICE ???

LETS ALL HOPE OUR MEDIA FRIENDS CONTINUE TO SHOW AN INTEREST IN REPORTING ON THIS AMERICAN HORROR FACING THESE (TENS OF THOUSANDS) FORGOTTEN AND TRAPPED POORER AMERICANS, AND HOW THIS POSSIBLE FUTURE PRESIDENTIAL CONTENDER HANDLES THIS VERY SERIOUS ISSUE FACING LATINO AND BLACK AMERICAN COMMUNITIES ????

**WITH 80% OF THE BLACK AMERICAN VOTERS SAYING THEY SUPPORT SENATOR OBAMA IN THIS PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION, IT IS ONLY FAIR FOR EVERYONE TO KNOW PRIOR BEING ELECTED OUR NEXT PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES HOW THIS DEMOCRATIC SENATOR TRULY FEELS ABOUT THIS AMERICAN JUDICIAL HORROR CONTINUING TO INFLICT GRAVE HARM ON THE BLACK AMERICAN FAMILIES AND THEIR COMMUNITIES NATIONWIDE ??????

*** WHEN GOD’S FACE BECAME VERY RED ***
THE US SUPREME COURT GAVE ENEMY COMBATANTS FEDERAL APPEAL HC RIGHTS LAWYERS AND PROPER ACCESS TO US FEDERAL COURTS,AND POORER AMERICANS (MANY EVEN ON DEATH ROW) ARE DENIED PROPER FEDERAL APPEAL LEGAL REPRESENTATION TO OUR US FEDERAL COURTS OF APPEAL, AND ROTTING IN AMERICAN PRISONS NATIONWIDE ?????????

**** INNOCENT AMERICANS ARE DENIED REAL HC RIGHTS WITH THEIR FEDERAL APPEALS !
THE AMERICAN PEOPLE ARE $LOWLY FINDING OUT HOW EA$Y IT I$ FOR MIDDLE CLA$$ AND WORKING POOR AMERICAN$ TO FALL VICTIM TO OUR U$ MONETARY JUDICIAL $Y$TEM.

****WHEN THE US INNOCENT WERE ABANDONED BY THE GUILTY ****
The prison experts have reported that there are 100,000 innocent Americans currently being falsely imprisoned along with the 2,300,000 total US prison population nationwide.
Since our US Congress has never afforded poor prison inmates federal appeal legal counsel for their federal retrials,they have effectively closed the doors on these tens of thousands of innocent citizens ever being capable of possibly exonerating themselves to regain their freedom through being granted new retrials.

This same exact unjust situation was happening in our Southern States when poor and mostly uneducated Black Americans were being falsely imprisoned for endless decades without the needed educational skills to properly submit their own written federal trial appeals.

This devious and deceptive judicial process of making our poor and innocent prison inmates formulate and write their own federal appeal legal cases for possible retrials on their state criminal cases,is still in effect today even though everyone in our US judicial system knows that without proper legal representation, these tens of thousands of innocent prison inmates will be denied their rightful opportunities of ever being granted new trials from our federal appeal judges!!

Sadly, the true US *legal* Federal Appeal situation that occurs when any of our uneducated American prison inmates are forced to attempt to submit their own written Federal Appeals (from our prisons nationwide) without the assistance of proper legal counsel, is that they all are in reality being denied their legitimate rights for Habeas Corpus and will win any future Supreme Court Case concerning this injustice!

For our judicial system and our US Congressional Leaders Of The Free World to continue to pretend that this is a real and fair opportunity for our American Middle Class and Working Poor Citizens, only delays the very needed future change of Federal Financing of all these Federal appeals becoming a normal formula of Our American judicial system.

It was not so very long ago that Public Defenders became a Reality in this country.Prior that legal reality taking place, their were also some who thought giving anyone charged with a crime a free lawyer was a waste of taxpayers $$.

This FACADE and HORROR of our Federal Appeal proce$$ is not worthy of the Greatest Country In The World!

***GREAT SOCIETIES THAT DO NOT PROTECT EVEN THEIR INNOCENT, BECOME THE GUILTY!

A MUST READ ABOUT AMERICAN INJUSTICE:
1) YAHOO AND 2) GOOGLE
MANNY GONZALES THE KID THAT EVERYONE FORGOT IN THE CA PRISON SYSTEM.
** A JUDICIAL RIDE OF ONES LIFE !

lawyersforpooramericans@yahoo.com (424-247-2013)