« Yikes! | Main | Why I Am Patriotic: A Love Letter to America »

July 03, 2008

Party Idea of the Week

First there were Mandals. Then came the ManCave and the Mancation.

The latest shiny thing? The ManShowers:

When Jonathan Morris’ daughter was planning her wedding, he thought the groom was getting overlooked. So he planned a guys-only "man shower" to welcome Brian Wigand into the family.

The party included manly snacks, games and gifts.

"It seemed like there was a lot of hoopla for the ladies and not too much for the guys," said Morris of Maple Valley, Wash. "It was really fun, male bonding."

It’s another example of grooms leaving their stereotypical roles behind, she said, noting that male bridesmaids and female groomsmen are becoming more common.

That doesn’t mean they’re abandoning tradition. For Rob Wise, the man shower was a warm-up to, not a substitute for, the bachelor party.

"It was precursor, a chance to get the guys together and let off a little steam," he said.

Highlights of the party included playing football, drinking games and Rock Band, a video game where players perform in virtual bands, said Wise, who married Michelle Creel in June.

"First and foremost, it was getting all my friends together in one place," the Baton Rouge, La., resident said. "It meant a lot for everyone to mingle before they got to the wedding."

Men also are recognizing that showers are a great way to acquire tools and other necessities needed to maintain a home, said Abby Buford, spokeswoman for Lowe’s Home Improvement stores, which launched an online wedding registry in 2006.

Actually, as long as guys don't have to wrap stuff or do anything stupid, I don't see what's wrong with giving the groom something to take his mind off the fact that his life has been completely derailed by the preparations for a one day ceremony. This kind of bonding experience could catch on.

Posted by Cassandra at July 3, 2008 08:34 AM

Comments

*waving hand*

'Scuse me.

I know what a mandala is, and I know who Nelson Mandela is, but what in the name of the asbestos basement floor of Hades is a Mandal?

Posted by: BillT at July 3, 2008 10:17 AM

Quick BillT, to the ManComputer! We'll look it up!

According to dictionary.com, it is the Turkish word for clothes pin. But surely that can't be it...

"HOLY MANTHONGS MAN-MAN! Apparently a mandal is slang for a manly-sandal!"

Exactly BillT. Once again, Riddler-ette has left behind a clue which will lead to her undoing!

Posted by: MikeD at July 3, 2008 10:50 AM

I posted about Mandals a long time ago. Too bad I deleted all those old posts :p

Posted by: Cassandra at July 3, 2008 10:55 AM

Oh! I forgot the ManPurse!

Posted by: Cassandra at July 3, 2008 10:55 AM

One question Mistress Cass, was the following sentance snark?

Because I actually did the planning for my wedding. My bride had previously planned her own, and for her second wanted nothing to do with it (she bought a dress, I was responsible for all else). The closest I got to what she wanted were my cake instructions:

"It must be enough for 60 people, it has to have REAL buttercream frosting, and it has to look wedding-y."

And I'll have you know, we had a great wedding. So :P with your sexist male stereotypes.

Unless you weren't snarking.

In which case...

Move along. Nothing to see here.

Posted by: MikeD at July 3, 2008 10:56 AM

Oh, and allow me to add to your lexicon of manly things Cass.

Moobs - man boobs
Bro - a man bra for your moobs
Manpon - don't ask

Posted by: MikeD at July 3, 2008 10:58 AM

*off to rinse my brain with Lysol*

Posted by: BillT at July 3, 2008 11:06 AM

Actually, Mike, my Dad did a lot of the planning for my wedding :p

It was the best, ever.

Posted by: The Pizza Slut at July 3, 2008 11:10 AM

Ahh, I think I'm gonna go out into the yard and spread mulch or something for a while as a way to try and get these disturbing images out of my head.

Posted by: bt_HankHill_hun at July 3, 2008 11:11 AM

A mandal is a thandal.
Thilly BillT.

Posted by: Lithping Lolita at July 3, 2008 12:27 PM

In the old days we had "man-showers". Strippers and Beer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: GM Cassel AMH1(AW) USN RETIRED at July 3, 2008 12:38 PM

Don't forget manscaping...PLEASE!!!

Posted by: Carrie at July 3, 2008 12:45 PM

I notice they left out that whole "neutering" thing that takes place just before the "man-shower".

Real men don't have a "man-cave"- they either have a DEN, or a GARAGE.

Real men don't have a man-shower- they have a beer blast. The whole "get your friends together" thing? It's called football season- every Sunday afternoon.

We're doomed.

Posted by: XBradTC at July 3, 2008 12:52 PM

I was waiting for that ... heh.

Posted by: The Pizza Slut at July 3, 2008 01:06 PM

One can't help but wonder what Mistress Mandy thinks of all this.....

0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at July 3, 2008 01:11 PM

MM's still waiting for the kids to cough up the D-cells.

Posted by: BillT at July 3, 2008 02:42 PM

I thought the Man Shower was when you get soaked by a thunderstorm while trying to finish the last bit of the mowing before it hits...

Posted by: Grim at July 3, 2008 03:20 PM

There's so much wrong with this thread, I don't know where to begin. :)

**********************
In another vein, I hope everybody has a happy Fourth of July.

Play some John Philip Sousa marches....LOUD!

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at July 3, 2008 03:37 PM

Manscaping?

I had to ask Walkin' Boss about that one. As she 'splained it to me, it's when she does the plant selection, placement and discusses the results with folks who comment upon it... The man comes in on the pieces requiring MANual labor, such as digging, tilling, pruning, and hauling mulch.

Ah well, it's an excuse to wear my exoskeleton outside... =8^}

But what do I know? I'm still a guy. And yeah, I keep a gun in my truck, doesn't everybody?

Posted by: bt_HankHill_hun at July 3, 2008 03:52 PM

the problem is not role reversal. the problem is that when men are heads of families, wifes have choices in their lives. they can work, they can sit around, or some combination in between. there really isnt anything a husband can do.

flash forward to now, and the role reversals are not equal. her being hypergamous means that she will NOT support him the way he is willing to support her.

and a HUGE disparity that was hidden by biology becomes like a 600lb gorrila in the room.

he is to sacrifice himself for her and the children... she is to sacrifice herself for whome? no one.

ergo, the flip doesnt work for most people. the men are more adaptable, since the switch will mean lots less work for them (and that real understanding is why the women dont think they are getting the 100k a year unpaid worker that they claim to be when they stay at home).

i remember my boss (female) talking about her role reversal... she said.. he piddles a bit around the house.. keeps it clean... and spends most of his time not doing much.. (he is more efficient at the work, so it doesnt take him all day, and he can move furniture and such, so he actually does a better job).

she is a cool person, and not a harpy... but she is making the fundemetnal mistake of listening to others that dont know, tell her that they do, and how to live based on it. (i can list out wreckage after wreckage and still not run out of those i know now in the straights).

she was being smart and asked what do you call that? and i said "a wife", and pretty much the same as the past, just reversed (without the biology makeing it ok).

women select their mates by the mates ability to perform in the real world, and do better than everyone else. what does a man select a wife for?

if the feminists are to reverse this, they will also somehow have to convince the women to select pretty men and then take care of them better to keep them away from the other pretty men (sounds like hookup culture, no?)

thats how men keep em... i am a nice man, who works hard and provides lots of means to my family, and ergo... the divorce rate is very different for me (the millionaire next door determined a 3% divorce rate vs mroe than 50% for the 'common man' who acts on the advice of others, not themselves).

so all these articles are selectively written to put some people on a pedestal who are not the norm (or all the details are not out. like how in a few years they are no longer together, but nwo that they are trying it, they seem great in the begining and are good for an article)..

a woman earning the cash, is a woman feeling she is not getting what she needs since her biology says he has to produce enough for him, her and another at minimum (and provide to others outside as gifts to also maintain family status). he is to defend them, he is to protectthem.

so eventually this lifestyle makes HER act out... and then he responds, and the feminists tell her its his behavior.

but just ask men if they would stay at home, watch the kids, and be supported by someone else in the arrangement that freidan called a happy gulag?

they jump on it! they know that a mans purpose is mostly sacrifice, and all the way up to death if he is a proper mensch.

basically a womans home life, unrealized to her, is the same as if she was a trust fund person and had no job. the bit of extra work it is to give him clean cloths and set another place at the table for the few hours he is home and awake is minimal compared to the lifestyle he provides her.

of course. only marxists could convince people that living like from a small trust or pension without labor is a form of imprisonment, and that working hard to death at work you dont like is a utopian ideal.

the men jump at the chance for the homething because they would rather be home protecting and workign than away and worried.

and as hitler and marx detailed, the men are much less gullible, so convince the women, and they will drag the men along since they ultiamtely want to make women happy.

its women who are trying to say that a man who acts like a woman turns women on!!!

men are more of what women require and have dictated over millinea, since men are selected by their ability to succeed.

ergo, who wants to marry an indigent fox is not a show...

however, men plucking women from nothing is a VERY common theme...

maybe we need a reversed flash dance...

ah.. but here comes the kicker, the yuck yuck joke. the women worked on two fronts... probably never believing to win both!!

so men are to be women, women are to be men.

but women redefined the female role as complete freedom without responsibility, AS THEY ARE STEPPING OUT OF IT AND THE MEN ARE STEPPING IN.

and on the other side, they are now getting snagged for doing the things the men did as men, because they changed those rules, RIGHT BEFORE THEY STEPPED INTO THE ROLES.

talk about the infinite goof!

meanwhile, it wont matter... we are passed the event horizon. for every wonman that does the work thing, the one that has kids needs to have FIVE in order to maintain the population.

so in essence, any society that accepts this experiement wil go the way of the other utopian things. ALL of them fail!!!

all of them are aginst biology, and so biology removes them as bad branches on the human tree.

but dont worry... how many kids do people like nancy pelosi have? how did she do that and follow the advice of her ideology? she didnt.

so its interesting.

i am too wordy, so i will just shut up...

biology is destiny... ask the dinosaurs.

Posted by: artfldgr at July 3, 2008 04:41 PM

biology is destiny... ask the dinosaurs.

Don't. Even. *Think*. Of. Doing. It. Missy...

Posted by: BillT at July 3, 2008 04:55 PM

I thought that owning a pick-up truck with a gun in the gun rack was destiny? Well, according to BThun/Hank Hill. :)

I think the right way to think about this is evolution in action. Not only have I biologically reproduced myself (twice), I am also in the process of reproducing my values and ideals in my boys (and the youngest is fighting me all the way, too!).

And just think how retrograde spd rdr is! He's had six or eight off-spring and has infused some of his crazy ideas into them, too. Number one son is a Naval officer and Number one daughter is a lawyer. Dangerous days ahead! :)

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at July 3, 2008 04:58 PM

Destiny... heh, yeah, I like that, destiny. Thanks Don!

A toast to retrogrades, near and far. To vets and their support staff back home. To those in the $*!+, and those behind the lines.

I salute each and every one of you today and tomorrow ! Thank you all. Have a happy fourth good old USofA.

Posted by: bt_HankHill_hun at July 3, 2008 06:53 PM

It's the 4th where I am, so...

"Today, we celebrate Independence Day!" - ID4

Have a good weekend, folks.

Posted by: Gregory at July 3, 2008 08:16 PM

I'm still wondering why there are no "Groom Shows" to counter the plethora of "Bridal Shows" around the country.

Posted by: ZZMike at July 3, 2008 09:09 PM

I don't know why, but when you put man- in front of a word it loses all its masculinity. As my students would say, this thread is gay mister.

Posted by: Pile On at July 3, 2008 10:38 PM

I had to check but thank goodness they are still there. Man Showers? OMG... this world just keeps getting stranger and stranger.

Lowes is behind this - trust me. another Hallmark holiday.

Posted by: Dr. Harden Stuhl at July 4, 2008 12:02 AM

Home Depot is too, Dr. Stuhl. The Dawgs are next...believe me. They have enough man-gear to support their team for the next 1,000 years.

*nods to KJ, a noted Kentucky fan*

Of course, my support of the Dawgs is totally color coordinated; they have the same colors as the U. I don't have to worry about team stats, the colors speak to me.

Posted by: Cricket at July 5, 2008 01:33 PM