« Why I Am Patriotic: A Love Letter to America | Main | Patriotism, Continued »

July 06, 2008

Here and There

These are just some things I found while wasting time on the 'Net:

Best thing I found today: one word.

Lyrics Directory: a search engine for lyrics.

You have to love a man with attitude.

The Music Map

Commonly confused words. This is one of my pet peeves.

Amusing quotations.

Star trails in the night sky, along with some neat stills of fireworks. I still miss living in the high desert.

I'll bet the mosquitos just love it too: (warning: link probably NSFW unless you work in a nudist colony)

Why garden naked? First of all, it's fun! Second only to swimming, gardening is at the top of the list of family-friendly activities people are most ready to consider doing nude. Moreover, our culture needs to move toward a healthy sense of both body acceptance and our relation to the natural environment. Gardening naked is not only a simple joy, it reminds us--even if only for those few sunkissed minutes--that we can be honest with who we are as humans and as part of this planet.

What a hoot.

Sunrise, sunset
Sunrise, sunset
Swiftly fly the years
One season following another
Laden with happiness and tears

Posted by Cassandra at July 6, 2008 08:18 AM

Comments

"I still miss living in the high desert."

It can be beautiful. It is best in the winter. I bet you do not miss it when the wind blows for three days and sandblasts everything. Where did you live?

Posted by: Mark at July 6, 2008 11:35 AM

I would be most curious to see what you wrote with your one word.

I think I've found a new club -- or at the least, one I should have been in looonnngg ago.

And, man does that song bring back memories!

Posted by: DL Sly at July 6, 2008 11:46 AM

Yucca Valley.

I don't miss the fires, either. But I did love looking at the night skies - I liked it in the summers too, at night. There is nothing nicer than being able to go skinny dipping right outside your bedroom at midnight :p

We had the most gorgeous house with a lovely pool that sat up above our garden. We were right across from Joshua Tree National Monument - the views were just incredible.

Posted by: Cassandra at July 6, 2008 11:47 AM

I didn't save what I wrote, Sly. It was a bit too personal.

But I had fun doing it :)

Posted by: Cassandra at July 6, 2008 11:48 AM

Frijid Pink's neighbor on the map was *cough* George Michael.

No way, Josie.

Posted by: BillT at July 6, 2008 03:09 PM

I'm always amused when nudists attempt to convince the rest of us that clothing is some bizarre and useless affectation that hinders our ability to be what we really are.

Me, what I really am is fully clothed when outdoors. And where I am is the Pacific Northwest, so good luck on the proselytizing, guys.

Posted by: Steve Skubinna at July 6, 2008 04:07 PM

Nude gardening? My first thought was poison ivy...
My second thought was a Don't Bend Over in the Garden, Granny, You Know Them Taters Got Eyes- Lewis Grizzard.

Man o man, I must be getting old.

And the night sky reminded me of when Walkin' Boss and I first moved to our current home. Very little light pollution at night. We had some friends who were amateur astronomers. One who ground and polished his own mirrors and built very, very nice telescopes. We used to get together on weekends to look at the heavens, eat, drink and enjoy the moments.

Now the misused words gave me pause while I considered what a effluent nation we are, yet how often we misuse words negating there affect. Which, I figure, ought to be a capitol crime... But agnostic that I am, I'll have to admit that I do not believe in the possibility of improvement. =8^}

Although I do refuse to use a cell phone keypad to text message. All thumbs, ouYa ownka hatwa Ia eanma. The sntx is 2 cmplcatd & my thms r 2 phat.

Posted by: bt_farmout_hun at July 6, 2008 08:08 PM

"... what a effluent nation we are, ..."

Well, there's some what says we're too effluent, but I think they're just part of the global-worming bunch.

Posted by: ZZMike at July 7, 2008 02:11 AM

"... what a effluent nation we are, ..."

Posted by: ZZMike at July 7, 2008 02:12 AM

Global-worming?

Graboid infestation!

But how do we get Gaia to swallow the Praziquantel -- and is there a large enough jar of peanut butter to coat the pill with?

Posted by: BillT at July 7, 2008 03:39 AM

I live in a Fully Clothed Community. There is a reason for that. I can accept MY body the way it is but that doesn't mean I have to force others to the same opinion by scaring them spitless by disrobing.

Some things need to be kept private. Any attempt to acquire an allover tan is one of them.

I daresay too, that that is one reason why the Great White Bear dances in the moonlight.

Posted by: Cricket at July 7, 2008 10:09 AM

We used to live in Scottsdale way back when. No suburbs of Phoenix and Phoenix itself was just a cluster over the horizon.

We would get on the roof to watch the fireworks in the desert over by Hole-In-The-Rock, near Papago Park.

Right at the moment, when the sun was completely gone, and before the fireworks started, there was that moment of silence.

The stars looked like jewels scattered over velvet and you could see the Milky Way galaxy.
Total reverence.